Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DiGi and I's costumes for Auchi 08'/NO! 2010!

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Lol ok, not much point in me pretending to make Puffy. So myes. Jackle. Not 100% SEGA Jackle, more sort of realistic, sh!t creepy, wouldn'twanttobumpintoyouonadarknight, Jackle. More to the point based on this picture i drew years back but with additions/changes I'm excited about:
<a href="http://www.nightsintodreams.com/gallery/di...m=29&pos=15" target="_blank">http://www.nightsintodreams.com/gallery/di...m=29&pos=15</a>

Wyld the hoopy thing is a spring loaded embroidery hoop. I'm still trying to figure out if i should sew them on or cheat and just glue the sequins on XD Oh mistress of sequins you. (I STILL HAVE LOTS YOU GAVE ME) *digs around for non fruity pink ones*

DiGi likes Jackle a lot, so hey makes sense :3

Hope you all have fun watching me build this monster D:

*squeals so loud the equivalent emoticon would break the thread* I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THA SHINEH SHINEH JAKKU-CHAN!!! *restrains self from making any emoticons of glee for reason already stated* I wonder what you're gonna do about his invisible torso, though.

Feniiku

Feniiku

iMAGNi SPY!

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Drawing<br />Gaming<br />Reading
I'd have thought that was obvious. DiGi comes with a removable head, that Trip shall carry around Hamlet style, to give the impression that it's floating O_O

Okay, that was just a creepy sentence.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
Cosplay is awesome!
But, alas, I have no guess! *cries*
All the ones I would have guessed have already been guessed.
I've said it once, and I'll say it agian: Cosplay is awesome!
*reads previous posts and pictures DiGi in a skirt*
:)

Deraj

Deraj

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Location:Some little spot of nowhere. No, not that spot. Some other spot.

*squeals so loud the equivalent emoticon would break the thread* I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THA SHINEH SHINEH JAKKU-CHAN!!! *restrains self from making any emoticons of glee for reason already stated* I wonder what you're gonna do about his invisible torso, though.

That may be the easy part. Flat black cape interior with DiGi in a skin-tight flat-black spandex body glove. Optical illusions are your friend.
It's Jackle's invisible FACE (save for eyes, etc) that I'm worried about. Unless you get a balloon and paint Jackle's face on, and have DiGi hunch down inside some other thing, (Obviosuly, this won't work at the same time as the skin-tight body glove. XD) you'll probably have to go some other way with it.

... ... ...

Black Spandex. DiGi. ... It must be said.

GO GO POWER DIGI!!

*Runs from green bunneh wrath*

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Black Spandex. DiGi. ... It must be said.

GO GO POWER DIGI!!

*Runs from green bunneh wrath*

...I can't be the only one who'd watch this, right?

*runs with Deraj*

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~

I don't actually exist. I'm all in your mindzzzzzzzzz.

I KNEW IT! Damn, now I'm the only crazy one here XD.

Anyway, Jackle Cosplay = Yes.

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
If you really want to hide the parts of Digi's body inconveniently placed where Jackle has none, you'll probably want to break up his outline, and maybe play tricks with people's eyes. For example, If you were to put some kind of night sky pattern on the inside of the mantel and whatever Digi wears under it, it might give the impression that the pattern is contiguous. Basically, it's like camouflage, where th camo pattern is made to match the area around it, hiding the outline.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~

...I can't be the only one who'd watch this, right?

*runs with Deraj*

I'd pay admission to watch that. *joins Deraj and animejosse in the running*

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
URNGH i found the scribbles i done of the Jackle cosplay plans. Will scan them tonight! (hopefully)

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
And it has to be said: What TRiPPY calls "scribbles" I call "masterpieces". Because if you look at my shoddy doodle, it looks like Death peed on my notebook.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
OH wait i forgot DiGi scanned them for me yesterday morning XD!
*runs to photoshop*

No i -REALLY- mean scribbles. When i scribble i seriously scribble. Only a few choice beings can decipher my madness.

EDIT-
BEHOLD THE DOODLES OF SCARY.
Posted Image

I plan on making him a mask rather than doing face blackout. Maskwise I'm going to make it 2 layer so you can see really scary teeth underneath it, like some kind of sinister noa mask. The no body thing is easy to do, already got it figured out so it shows no body at all. Need to start working on damn gloves. Also need some fishing line ...

Sa-chan

Sa-chan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
FFFFFFDSGSGHdss.

this is going to be the most badass thing in the history of ever.

EVER.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

OH wait i forgot DiGi scanned them for me yesterday morning XD!
*runs to photoshop*

No i -REALLY- mean scribbles. When i scribble i seriously scribble. Only a few choice beings can decipher my madness.

EDIT-
BEHOLD THE DOODLES OF SCARY.
Posted Image

I plan on making him a mask rather than doing face blackout. Maskwise I'm going to make it 2 layer so you can see really scary teeth underneath it, like some kind of sinister noa mask. The no body thing is easy to do, already got it figured out so it shows no body at all. Need to start working on damn gloves. Also need some fishing line ...

Again I reiterate. What you call Scribble I call JOYGASM.
This is my latest piece. It took me two months and a bad copy to Photoshop to get it looking as hideous as it does. Ignore the camera glareplzkthx I'm not a good photographer.
Posted Image

And, to stop the spammage, I say, I will wholeheartedly enjoy the Jackle costume that DiGi will wear and will proceed to fan-stalk him until he feels so uncomfortable that he signs my PVC handbag. Squee.

Gun6

Gun6

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Pokemon? (Also, spriting)
Since Jackle's face will be a mask... how about two masks? That '^_^' expression on the Jackle sketch is priceless.

:) and >: E

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH good GOD that teethy grin is freaky

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

Posted Image

That is one freaky, twisted looking Jackle... my compliments.
Hey let me know the size of the costume. I'll wait till ya abandon it and buy it off ya XD.
what are ya gonna do for the Mask? I'm gonna try ta replicate it outa clay when I get the chance.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Fo the mask materials I'm not sure yet, I've been reading up on japanese mask construction. I'd make it clay but I'm scared it will smash if its dropped ^_^ Anyone got any suggestions? I have a Cirque Du Soleil mask on my wall and it appears to be made from a mix of hardwearing materials. I want the surface to be completely smooth like porcelin.

Avenrir

Avenrir

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, monsters &amp; beasties, insects &amp; spiders ( but not moths. KEEP THEM AWAY! ), art, comics, cartoons, dinosaurs, mythical creatures, fonts, dreams &amp; nightmares, swords, retro videogames, the Discworld, and last but not least: Cadbury's chocolate. O.O
Now that is a Jackle I wouldn't want to see in a dark alley. Awesome! here's hoping that everything for it goes to plan =D

I look forward to another round of Salem demanding a go of the hat should he make it. XD

The top sketch makes me wonder how you'll get it staying on his head without the horns' weight causing it to fall forward( the hat, not his head... well... you never know... XD ). But I'm sure you've probably already gotten that sorta thing sussed after the UV hat o' doom. ^^

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
XD the power of prayer and gravity. And a good posture! : D
(nah it clips on to the collar at the back)

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

I want the surface to be completely smooth like porcelin.

Maybe porcelin then? And just be extra careful not to smashify it.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Using actual porcelain would be scary-dangerous; all the shards would go everywhere if it were dropped ever, and that's not worth the risk. Maybe a really glossy plastic-esque material poured in a mold of the mask? O-o; *knows nothing of these things*

EDIT: Oh, and that Jackle will put the fear of Wizeman in anyone who beholds him. I rather like the spell-paper things dangling from the clasps on his cape.

Nyx

Nyx

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Good lord, that design is incredible!
(And your handwriting looks like mine, when I'm in a hurry.)
I wouldn't want that staring at me while I'm trying to sleep, either. :(
Seeeequinsss....

As for the mask, porcelain is both fragile, and also very heavy -- and with the hat, heavy is not a good idea. Plastic sounds good -- but making a mold for something like that can be a pain -- I tried to make one once and failed miserably. (Then again, I suck, and you don't. :lol:)

I've two ideas...

My first suggestion would be to make it out of paper mache -- it's lightweight, and relatively durable. You make your shape, paint it to look like you want, and if you want to, waterproof it. Making the goop for the paper mache is messy, and it might be a little hard to shape, though.

My other suggestion is kind of ridiculous.

Could it be done with FIMO clay? I've seen some really interesting masks made from them -- Your general design stays the same, and I know that you can embed chains and beads into it... I've also seen some good leather masks that could do that kind of detail, and I've heard that they're comfortable to wear -- but getting a custom one can be tricky.

So I would suggest using a piece of leather shaped over DiGi's face, then use the FIMO over it. In order to attach it to the leather of the base, though, you would have to leave small holes in the edges on the mask so that you can sew/thread ribbon through it. The only problem is, I have absolutely no idea how much it weighs when it's finished baking.
(And you'd have to tilt the chin slightly upward so that the poor man can breathe...)

You could do the same thing for the claws on the gloves -- make them out of FIMO (or something called 'WonderFlex'?), keep a few holes in the base, then sew them onto the glove.
(FFVII - Vincent Valentine's gauntlet has fingertips like that -- there are tutorials everywhere. I even saw one made out of metal, but the guy also makes prop swords...)

Hope that little ramble helped, somehow... :lol:

Out of curiosity, is the throwing card actually going to have metal edges?

Deraj

Deraj

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Location:Some little spot of nowhere. No, not that spot. Some other spot.
Bad-ASS!
I can't wait to see that mask!
Sorry I can't be helpful with this stuff. I only come here to look at the pictures, really. My older sister used to cosplay, I think. She was always working on something. Bringing home masks and thread, and once she actually made me a Goku costume! (It didn't fit, unfortunately. She had moved to Alaska right after she bought the fabric, and when she sent the costume back for Christmas, I had already outgrown the measurements Mom had sent her over the phone a few months before. XD (I was about six or seven at the time, but I've always grown like a weed. XD))

Anyways, back on topic. The Metal Throwing Cards. I've seen those around, but I'm not sure where.
BudK, I think. It's a weapons magazine that my Dad subscribes to (Hurray for Kung-Fu Cop Dad!), but I'm not completely sure if they ship to the UK or not. They've got a website that you can order from, that much I do know.

(And yes, my family is weird. Cosplaying Alaskan Sister and Kung-Fu Cop Dad. The list DOES go on.)

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
I suggest clay of some sort, actually. I used some sort of clay when I made a shrimp bowl last year in art class (which came out so lumpy and horrible that I literally stole my dad's SUV and ran over it in the driveway many, many times until I had nothing left but fine clay dust). It's sturdy and although it has some weight to it, it's not insane and I'm sure DiGi would be able to breathe through it. I can't remember the damned brand name, though! It was brown and lumpy and you had to constantly keep it wet or it would dry and harden and be useless. Then you bake it and then you paint it and bake it again and you get a masterpiece or in my case target practice. I'd have to go and ask my Design teacher from last year.....

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Well, to make the mold, you could make the thing to be molded out of clay, then take this plastic stuff that vacuum shrink-wraps around it and make a mold from that, but I don't know how hard/expensive that would be or, if you must find an establishment to do it for you, how difficult it would be to find one of those. >.o; *feels stupid for making potentially impossible suggestions*

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Orrr..... you could just go with the face-blackout deal and put in plastic vampire teeth and forget the whole deal and save yourself time, energy, and money.

Y'know. Just a thought.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

Orrr..... you could just go with the face-blackout deal and put in plastic vampire teeth and forget the whole deal and save yourself time, energy, and money.

Y'know. Just a thought.

A mask design that good must be done! if it's made of a heavy material like clay or porcelain, maybe you could alter the shape at the sides a little so it fits into the sides of the hat? The hat would need to be sturdy but it pretty much guarantees the mask won't fall out if done correctly... you could use a frame around the boarders of the hat... you follow?

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Face paint. Paint DiGi's face to look like the mask design. TRiPPY's skill? It's unmatched. It'll look fantastic if done correctly and I guarantee there will be fangirls.

wyldflowa

wyldflowa

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing comics! And ur... drawing comics. And... comics...<br /><br />I like games too. XD

Fo the mask materials I'm not sure yet, I've been reading up on japanese mask construction. I'd make it clay but I'm scared it will smash if its dropped :( Anyone got any suggestions? I have a Cirque Du Soleil mask on my wall and it appears to be made from a mix of hardwearing materials. I want the surface to be completely smooth like porcelin.

You can try various sculpting clays to make masks from. I know when I was looking about on how to do my Arrancar mask a lot people people suggest Sculpey, Crayola Model Magic, paperclay or even bog-standard paper mache. All of these materials can be sanded down to give a nice smooth finish - Sculpey and Model Magic probably giving the nicest end result and the strongest. Model Magic is probably the best to use as it doesn't have to be baked so there's less chance of it warping (or burning! I've heard tales of what you're like in the kitchen! XD) in the oven. Plus with model magic you can use a cardboard template to ensure it's the right size/shape. A few coats of eggshell paint (wet sand it between each coat) will also give extra smoothness and strength to whatever material you decide to use and will act as a nice base for whatever designs you want to do on it. :3 The main thing though is to sand sand sand. You can get a smooth enough finish in any material if you put in the man hours to sand off all the lumps and bumps.

Use some acrylic gloss on the teeth and around the eyes and keep the rest of it matte for an extra-creepy realistic, certain parts shine in the dark, kinda look. X3 It would be really really eerie if behind the mask was another, even scarier, mask! D8

Fimo would probably also be good but that stuff is expensive - I bought some for a doll project I'm going to work on soon and it was near £2 for each little block. You'd need at least five or six to even get a thin covering over the face. Plus you have to cook it to set it which comes with all it's own risks~ XD But for smaller parts like the claws it may be an ideal option.

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:I love anime and games! I collect manga more than I do anime 'cause it's cheaper, though, and cosplay from time to time. Hopefully I'll have a decent Jackle costume done in time for Nan Desu Kan this year XD. I also like yaoi, DDR, um...pandas...and yaoi. I don't like mainstream anime much though; most of it isn't very good anyway....
oooooooooh! Melikes, melikes your scribbles. It's gonna look so freaking awesome ^.^ *can't wait*. I fully recommend the paper mache. Very durable and light by comparison to other mask-making stuff. Also, drama departments at schools and etc. have plain plastic masks you can add onto and color on. They're shaped like an average human face, so they're good to build off of.

Drama departments in general are great places to find stuff; if the guys in charge will let you, have a look at the catalogues they use to order things. I'm in serious debt with my drama teacher because I went spaz over the material in his catalogue. So much more variety than I could ever find in the whole of my town... *_*

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
You could always try play doh..... let it dry then put a clear varnish on it to keep it from breaking.... maybe put some febreeze on the inside to keep it from smelling funny....

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Just a quick note to say i've shifted my workload entirely to getting as many chapters of my iMAGNi stuff printed before Auchinawa, so Cosplay is highly unlikely now. It's a nice idea (and i -will- make it because i want to, BECAUSE JACKLE RULES ALL) but i don't want my art to suffer for cosplay ^^; If i get a spare month or something I'll try to knock it up, but I'd rather take my time on it like i done with the U.V costume so it doesnt look like cheap crap. Soooooooo no updates here for a while. But if i do something for the hell of it i'll reopen this topic and show piccage.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
... I've decided to drag this idea back into being for Auchi 2010. Yes. DiGi -WILL- cosplay Jackle if it's the last thing i do!

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Oohoohoo, DiGi as Jackle for Auchi 2010? Yes! The fan girls go wild for the news that this is back on! X3 I shall be back in my corner monitoring this project as closely as possible. And taking notes for my hopeful Jackle costume.

If it's not too late to suggest something-- It has been a year, after all-- As WyldFlowa previously suggested, Crayola Model Magic might be a good thing to toy with for a mask. I've never used it myself, but I've seen some fantastic masks made with it as a base. And after much sanding, varnishing, and painting it has potential. Not to mention, it's typically rather inexpensive.

And if a material up for the option has some issue that prevents it from being on the face, you could always try securing the mask to a decorated pole, like a Masquerade mask, if DiGi has a hand free to tote that about. I just hope you don't try to blackout his face, because unless DiGi is cool with downing a few bottles of ink to turn his mouth black it probably won't look flattering.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Nooo XD; no face blackout for DiGils, I'm 100% set on a mask. It shall be the most nutzo decorated detailed thing everever.

I'm so hyped for this project hahah! Lets hope my sewing machine survived the journey to London...

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I'm glad of it! That mask looks wicked cool [/SonicCatchphrase] Everyone shall certainly be slowly gnawed by their inner fan girl/boy/thing in anticipation to see the finished TRiPPY interpretation >:3

As well you should be hyped, I'd certainly be. But given the amount of pointy things you'll be working with, you need not get too excited and put an eye out.

A one-eyed Admin... Cool.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
I could go to Auchi as a pirate then.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I could go to Auchi as a pirate then.

If you poke out DiGi's eye, he could be pirate Jackle!

That actually sounds oddly awsome. :P

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Reading over this topic, I realize it has been mentioned (although in relations to constructing a hat), and there's probably a reason this is not being utilized for the mask (probably the want for that sheeny high-gloss), and I know I haven't been around here in forever and you probably know more than I do about the virtues of this stuff but I stumbled across this while browsing the links of webcomics I keep on my computer.

Paper mache, anyone?

Edited it into a link just in case. XP

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
If DiGi is cosplaying as Jackle he needs to get that voice down otherwise the costume is only half done. When you get the chance, have DiGi record him trying the laugh and talking like Skeletor. I can give him tips. I'm dead serious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users