Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiD speedrun.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
How come there aren't any NiD speedruns? It'd be really easy(and fun) to do. I'd make one but I can only play the game on an emulator at about 1/2 speed.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I never understood this either. I searched for some some time ago but came up short. It's probably the easiest game to speed run. It's not like you have to get A's. Just do the job, defeat the bosses, and you are pretty much done.

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
It's pretty much impossible to get a D or below unless you're stupid or are just incredibly video game challenged, so I don't see why this would be a problem at all.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

I never understood this either. I searched for some some time ago but came up short. It's probably the easiest game to speed run. It's not like you have to get A's. Just do the job, defeat the bosses, and you are pretty much done.

If you speed run and do it right I bet you'll get all A's anyway from the bonus time at the end of each mare and the 2.0 on every boss ^_^

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~

It's pretty much impossible to get a D or below unless you're stupid or are just incredibly video game challenged, so I don't see why this would be a problem at all.

I am severely video game challenged. I would get D's or below's. I could try. I would fail.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Miles, who has the fastest boss times on scoreattack.net, did a speed run video of Spring Valley. It's insanely fast and fun to watch. I hope he doesn't mind me linking to his site. I found his videos a while back when I was searching for this topic, and IIRC I found some stuff on Speed Demos Archive (http://speeddemosarchive.com/)

This link will give you a listing of Miles NiGHTS videos...you want to download the one called SpringValley-SpeedRun.zip...it's about 17mb.
http://www.vortiginous.com/miles/nights/

My guess is he did this without an emulator so he did a pretty sweet job.

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Speed demos Archive doesn't have anything, I already looked. And I've seen people play segments of the game thousands of times. I'd like to see someone do it as fast as possible in only one part instead of 7 or 8. It wouldn't be too hard, you can complete the game easily within an hour.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I think NiGHTS is too quick for a speedrun to be much fun to watch. How long does it take an average person to beat the entire game, 45 minutes? That is not long enough for a speedrun to be too impressive. ALSO as far as I know there are no super-hardcore shortcuts in the levels? I mean, if someone could beat the entire game in less than five minutes, I would be VERY impressed but I think the way it is set up prevents this from being possible.

Super Mario Bros. in five minutes is impressive because most people can play that game for hours and never get very far (by dying a lot).

Anyway I sound like captain negative but please feel free to attempt a speedrun anyway! If anyone can beat the entire game within ten minutes I will respect them forever as "UltraLord (or UltraLady) of Games"! (but I doubt this is feasible)

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I knew I saw this on SDA. The guy who was going to do it started a thread here. I'm not sure if he ever completed anything though.

EDIT: Mitsuu, I'd be interested in giving this speed run a try, because I did try it once, I just can't remember my time. So, just to clarify, you are looking for one non-stop run from start to finish right? No segments? Or can I do each segment as fast as I can by saving and loading and then stitch it all together into one video? Thanks for clarifying. Oh, and I would not be using an emulator, so this would not be tool assisted, so it would likely involve some mistakes.

Just a quick note, it would be difficult to prove that a capture card recording was done without segments, because there are so many fade in's and fade out's that you could stitch it all together and no one would be the wiser. You would have to rely on honesty.

And I do agree with Nemoide somewhat, it wouldn't be as amazing as some games because NiGHTS isn't a very long game. Speedruns on longer games are more impressive because it requires more skill and consistency.

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Music, Designing, Writing, NiGHTS, Zelda, Tennis (as of latey i haven't played it but I have wii sports and Sega Superstar Tennis), chasing busses to get around town, scaring off neighbors by showing my teeth and growling.
I have never done speed runs, but i have started form scratch and gone through all dreams in shot with all A's just going for the ideya then palace. Time bonus and 2.0 are more than enough points to get an A. The hardest part for me is probably Frozen Bell. i HATE clawz and i cannot 2 point him and most of the score in the mares i find are bonus and links. My main score for that level usually comes from the insane links on the 1st mare doing numerous laps.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I just gave it a try and it took 33 mins from the time I pressed start to the end of Wizeman, and that included all 8 dreams (Twin Seeds twice), and a software reset to skip the cutscene the first time I beat Wizeman. I didn't get all A's, most were B's and C's because I was just going for fastest time, and I didn't get 2.0's on all the bosses, I think my worst was a 1.7.

If I was to just count the time I actually spent playing it would be a lot shorter, but there are too many instances where you can't play and you are just waiting, like the loading of each dream and the tally of your score before and after each boss.

It'd be awesome if other people submitted their times too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users