Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mirage's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
When I was a child, I was a big fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon show. Then I grew out of it and when I look back, it was less than spectacular in many ways.

The original comics however, I discovered in high school and found to be pretty great. There were some very serious ones with hard hitting implications and some very silly ones that were filled with the underground sensibilities I like in comics.

Then I discovered the recent series (volume 4, although volume 2 is uncommon to find and volume 3 is non-canon). It is an AMAZING example of how comics can tell a story, in my opinion. Probably the best current title around, even though the series is on hiatus and is not too popular. The only other series I can really compare it to is Jeff Smith's Bone. The story paces itself in such a way as to feel like reality, things do not close neatly at the end of each issue. The story is far too complex for a description, rather each issue explores events in the world and draws the reader deeper and deeper within. One could spend 10 issues waiting for the "secret origin of April O'Neil" but at the same time be totally captivated by the activity of mutant dinosaurs in South America and gangs of wannabe Vampires in New York City. I think that the book is all over the place in the best way possible. It is the TMNT for adults, the most mature incarnation of them I think possible.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone else reads it. If anyone wants to, issues #1-14 of volume 4 are currently available for free download at http://www.wowio.com/ You have to sign up and are limited to three issues a day but I think it is totally worth it. I am trying to spread the word of this great series as much as I can! Volume 4 DOES reference aspects of earlier comics fairly regularly but still stands up on its own.
Also some folks seem to consider it too slow so I would say to read up to issue #6 (the point at which I found myself hooked hardcore) and seeing if one wants to continue or not then? One can also be aware that the comics have a very different continuity from any of the TV series or movies?

The reason I am promoting the series so much is because I really love it and think it is shamefully neglected in comparison to the mountains of garbage the major comic companies shovel out every month.

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
:D TURTLE FAN.

Despite lots of searching I haven't been able to find anything TMNT-comic related. All we really get out here is Archie, DC, and Marvel. Plus the more popular mangas. I've been wondering about that wowio thing though... it makes me nervous because I've heard a credit card is required (even though it's free? How's that work?). But if there's a way to get more Turtle comics then I'm there.

Lost in Dream

Lost in Dream

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:The Panzer Dragoon Series, Legend of Zelda, NiGHTS, running around as a pirate on the beach
If you are talking about the old black and white ones they still publish....
I am a huge fan of that series.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
^ I am pretty sure that we are thinking of the same series. So much goodness!

And while giving one's credit card info to wowio.com may seem a bit sketchy from my experience it is safe.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I haven't actually read Turtles recently which makes me sad. If there's a trade volume out that you'd recommend for me to pick up, I will gladly do so. I just wouldn't wanna delve into the middle of a story arc, as it were.

Lost in Dream

Lost in Dream

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:The Panzer Dragoon Series, Legend of Zelda, NiGHTS, running around as a pirate on the beach
They are still in print the comic book guy in my town reserves them for me.

Lost in Dream

Lost in Dream

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
This year is a big year for anyone who does not have the original first print of volume one.

For the 25th anniversary Mirage has reprinted Volume 1. I got my copy now.

((sorry for the double post))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users