Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Propper spelling of the name

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

ENiGMA

ENiGMA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Strolling Wikipedia I noticed on the bottom of the SR0G page http://en.wikipedia....s:_Zero_Gravity that NiGHTS would be in it, however I noticed they didn't spell the name right so I corrected it.

Hi, the recent edit you made to Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity has been reverted, as it appears to be unconstructive. Use the sandbox for testing; if you believe the edit was constructive, ensure that you provide an informative edit summary. You may also wish to read the introduction to editing. Thanks. CWii(Talk|Contribs) 22:59, 22 February 2008 (UTC)

Unconstructive? Heck even the character page on Wikipedia asys his name is spelt "Nights".

I know Wikiedpia is a free for all editing site but incase perchance all this time I have been spelling NiGHTS name wrong, especially as in my English version of my game the subtitles clearly states the name is "NiGHTS".

Whats the correct spelling for it?

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
NiGHTS is definitely now you spell it...I don't think that when someone writes "Nights" they're wrong, it's just that the whole all-capitals-except-the-i makes the difference between NiGHTS, the character, and nights, as in plural not-daytime, obvious.

Nymph

Nymph

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:I'm a fanfic writer and an AMV maker. I like videogames, writing and just hanging out with friends.
I'm pretty sure the correct spelling is NiGHTS, however not just NiGHTS' fans visit the page hence why they change it back to Nights. My friends spell it Nights also(which annoys but I'm more a fan then they are), so I think it's safe to say either is okay, some words and names are just like that.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
NiGHTS is the correct spelling.. However Wiki will change it back because its against their policy (for some reason).

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Wiki. Good for reading but that's about it. I never edit anything there anymore. It's always getting changed back no matter how right it is.

ENiGMA

ENiGMA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
If it's against policy to change it, why would they allow it anyway?

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I think "NiGHTS" is the fun spelling that instantly connects the word to the game/character. "Nights" is equally correct in my opinion as that is how names are written. Note that the SPELLING of both are identical, the CAPITALIZATION is what is different. One is more "brand name/trademark" inspired and one is more naturalistic English naming.

I would choose which one I use based on my mood? I tend to favor NiGHTS though.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
It's not the fun way to spell it. It is the only way to spell it as it is the characters name. It has become official. Look in the game manual and it's clearly spelled that way. Although all of this really isn't a big deal. We all know what it is. It's just disapointing.

Chlorine

Chlorine

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:moon
NiGHTS in bubble letters with the diamond dot on the i is how nights used to spell his name in junior high and it just fucking stuck, get over it

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
It's spelled 'NiGHTS'. I actually went in and edited the main NiGHTS character page recently(fixed some redundancy, Wizeman's name, and a stupid gank rumor about an 'Angel' persona mask, and the spelling of NiGHTS' name). They kept all my changes, it seems, save for the spelling of NiGHTS' name! They said that the Nights/NiGHTS thing wasn't important or some BS like that. >o<

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

NiGHTS in bubble letters with the diamond dot on the i is how nights used to spell his name in junior high and it just fucking stuck, get over it

LOL

To the dismay of his English teacher(s), of course. It's the androgynous version of hearts and flowers and happy faces!

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

If it's against policy to change it, why would they allow it anyway?

Because you edit the whole section and/or page. There's no way to stop people from editing one part without stopping them from editing at all... which would defeat the purpose of Wikipedia.

That said, it IS a weird policy. They also won't allow any fansites for some reason, only purely info-related stuff.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..

LMAO

ENiGMA

ENiGMA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
It's like how some names start off with parts of there names that are traditional to it. like McNinja!

Zoe

Zoe

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Every time I type "NiGHTS" into Word, it gets corrected to "Nights", so I thought Wikipedia might have done the same thing. But, other people have already pointed out their true policy, so that's my theory out of the window.

Also, I love how it says "propper" in this topic title instead of the correctly spelt "proper". XD;

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I really hate Wiki's policy on this. I mean, the name isn't Nights, it's NiGHTS, and isn't it kind of misinformation to say otherwise? Sure, it's just a visual thing, but I still think it's important considering it's used in basically every ref. to the character or game ever, and since video games are a visual medium to start with... Bleh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users