Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"You are not allowed to copy this file"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've been operating on Wii memory, but I bought an SD card to provide backup. So I go into Data Management and click on my JoD file, only to arrive at the prompt that I can't copy it..?? Why?? Also, I was thinking.. is the same thing like with the Saturn going to happen with the Wii, where the battery goes dead an all data disappears? Because one, Nintendo should make aware that people would lose their files, and two, am I destined to lose my JoD file now? I hope you guys have answers for me..

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I was just about to try that, but more so I could backup My Dream before I go ahead and screw it up, but I guess they don't want you messing with the save file on a pc, which makes sense.

I believe the memory is flash memory, the same as on an SD card, so it doesn't need a battery and it won't disappear (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Lost in Dream

Lost in Dream

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:The Panzer Dragoon Series, Legend of Zelda, NiGHTS, running around as a pirate on the beach
Yeah I had the same message with my sd card when I tried to back up a few games. It looks like some games will work and some won't.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I know the Wii uses a CR2032 lithium battery like the Saturn does, which leads me to surmise the data saving system.. but hopefully things have improved and Nintendo was smart enough to use a different method, like Charlie said..

Still though this is a rather weak sauce move. Every game should let you copy files. Is this game developer's decision/fault? Shame on you, Sega.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I would agree with viper, it's probably the game developer's decision.

After a little searching it looks like people upload their save files to the web. Obviously, no save files for NiGHTS, but I guess that is another reason why they don't let you copy it to SD cards.

Tsunami

Tsunami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Ecology, biology, wildlife studies, art (including sculpting, photography, illustration, and animation), video games
I had the exact same problem with my original JoD data. Played it over winter break on my sister's Wii, then tried moving the data from the Wii to a SD card. No luck; it kept giving me that message no matter what I'd do.

Now my complete, totally-unlocked JoD data is stuck on my sister's Wii several hundred miles away from where I am. Bugger.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Oh man, that sucks.

Jeez, the JoD manual could at least make a note that this game does not let you move data. I guess they just hoped no one noticed. Jerks.

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
I'm pretty sure the Wii stores its saves on NAND, so it's not going to be lost if power goes out. But it's still annoying.

Deraj

Deraj

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Location:Some little spot of nowhere. No, not that spot. Some other spot.
Well, I had an accidental 'controlled' power outage when my brother snapped off the power to the Wii by messing with the switch on the power strip. He was waiting to get on Sonic RIders and he was fingering the power switch on the surge protector, and *Blip* power went off to the Wii. Dead, shocked silence, we turned the power to the Wii (And almost everyhting else electronic in the room) back on, and everything was fine. My save data was all still there. Unless you mean a long-term power outage?

Draykon

Draykon

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
What's this about the Wii losing it's data when it loses power? Who told you that malarkey?

Anyways, SEGA did the same thing for the Chao data in SADX and SA2B. I imagine it's to keep you from cloning 'pians. Still, it wouldn't have killed them to separate the data like they did with those games.

Lost in Dream

Lost in Dream

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:The Panzer Dragoon Series, Legend of Zelda, NiGHTS, running around as a pirate on the beach
Where are people coming up with this stuff about the memory being power based?

I regularly pack up my Wii and move from Missouri to Florida and it could be unplugged from 2 days to a week depending on how I feel.
Never affects the memory of the Wii.

Tsunami

Tsunami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Ecology, biology, wildlife studies, art (including sculpting, photography, illustration, and animation), video games

Where are people coming up with this stuff about the memory being power based?

I regularly pack up my Wii and move from Missouri to Florida and it could be unplugged from 2 days to a week depending on how I feel.
Never affects the memory of the Wii.

Pretty sure it's not an issue of being plugged in, but instead of the system's internal battery. I lost a ton of Sega Saturn data when my Saturn's internal battery died... didn't matter that it was plugged into the wall. Not sure what the deal is regarding Wiis and internal batteries, though.

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
someone mentioned that he wii has a lithium battery, like the saturn. Like I said, the Wii's internal storage is NAND (flash), witch doesn't need power to retain data. the lithium battery, if there actually is one, is for the clock.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Check the Wii's butt, or the system manual- there is indeed a CR2032 lithium ion battery there. No lie. At least this alleviates fears about losing files.

Blue Fantasy

Blue Fantasy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, video games, comics, reading, writing, drawing, anime
Sega has a big issue with copying files, apparently. Not only is NiGHTS un-copy-able, but the same goes for Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic 2006 on the 360, Phantasy Star Universe on the 360, Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube... shall I continue? I don't know what the deal is, really. SADX, Mega Collection, and others can be copied.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
Lithium Ion Battery, Lithium Ion Battery...

You people sound like my Metal Fabrication teacher XD

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I've had the same issue. I find it a pain how a lot of Wii games don't let you copy data. Why even bother having the option available if we can't use it?!?!

Coolmatt49

Coolmatt49

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Battery is for the internal clock, believe it or not. When the power goes out or the Wii isn't connected to a power supply, something has to keep the internal clock going or else the time would be inaccurate when the console is connected back to power.

Wii memory is flash-based and DOES NOT require any battery to retain data. The Saturn used a form of RAM to back-up game saves (32kB to be precise) and DID require a battery in order for this data to be retained.

RAM is Random Access Memory; it's used in practically every computation device (i.e. computers, handheld gaming systems, and even calculators). RAM, unlike regular ROM memory, can't retain data without a flow of electricity. Once the electricity is gone, everything in the RAM is erased. If a battery was in place to keep the flow of energy within the RAM moving, it would be able to retain the memory.

Why is RAM there? One, it can be used like in the SEGA Saturn to store game saves quick and easily. Two, it is MUCH faster than using any Hard-disk based drive. Because RAM is electric-based and does not rely on using mechanical arms to read the data, it works much faster. This is why adding more RAM to a computer is the cheapest way to speed up your computer. Adding more RAM allows the computer to store more on the RAM rather than rely on storing data on the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and thus, speed up your computer.

What's even better about the Wii Flash memory is that it does not use any mechanical parts, which means if you drop your Wii while it is in use (or not) the data remains intact. If you use a blow torch...that's a different story ;).

Some game developers, as I believe, want gamers to play the game in full and not rely on some form of cheating. If you had access to copying the data file, people with 100% of the game completed could potentially just copy the file and give it out to other people as they please. This ruins the entire game experience. It does sound stupid because who cares about the people who want to cheat, but game developers take pride in their games.

I wouldn't be too worried though about losing your game saves. I've had my console since launch and all my games saves are still retain intact.

...The more you know! :D

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Sort of on topic, I noticed in the booklet for Brawl they point out how you can't move your files except for custom levels and stuff. See, they had the decency to at least warn people that if they plan to take their data with them, they won't be able to.. Bleh

Otherwise the issue's been clarified and stuff, so the topic may be closed, if need be..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users