Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HyPo's NiGHTS Artwork

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Feel free to click away if you already watch me (Hysteric Polaris @ DeviantArt). <3 I don't post anywhere else.

Last Updated Wed,9,Apr,08

GENERAL NiGHTS
REPRiSE
Plugging Time! PLEASE VISIT AND PARTICIPATE!!!

Sa-chan

Sa-chan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
reala's physically impossible pigtails have become an epidemic.

excellent.

Hime Blue

Hime Blue

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just...<br /><br />don't ask and it might be better for you. Might be better not to know...
Imma gonna mention again that i LOVE THiS. :3 ((This is LordBlumiere by the way.))

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I like the way you've done the hair-instead-of-hats, it works nicely.

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
lol, HiHi LordBlumiere!! *waves* Yeh, I'm such a sucker for men in huge ponytails!!!<33 Thanks for all the compliments, guys. ;A;

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
If this is okay...bump. o.o

Added recent works and potential contest announcement.

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
I'll have to read REPRiSE when I get home, I'm at school right now.

I know it's meant to be serious and all but...

Reala in pigtails makes me laugh everytime I see it. XD

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I know it's meant to be serious and all but...

Reala in pigtails makes me laugh everytime I see it. XD

rolluf wuddya mean?! don't you find pigtails badass? XDD jk Appreciate the interest! *at school too lulz*

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
ReeRee in pigtails makes me want to giggle, too, especially with JoD mask-o-gildie-joy. ^^;

Sa-chan

Sa-chan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Some people just don't appreciate true badassity when they see it.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Yes, I'm sorry to say I don't, but I'm willing to learn.

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
That Queen Bella human version. Is. Awesome.

Mayura

Mayura

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Love REPRiSE so far <3 Can't wait to see more. ^^

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks so much for everyone's compliments so far and for reading my doujinshi! More to come!!

Reverse Fanmaren Contest plug!

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Are you going to ink the comic? It's really nice, but I think it'll be stronger if you ink (and maybe tone) it.

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Are you going to ink the comic? It's really nice, but I think it'll be stronger if you ink (and maybe tone) it.

It takes me a long time to ink and all I really have is regular ballpoint pens, so sometimes they end up ruining my drawings. =\ I don't like using them...and I don't know what toning is. ^^"""

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Toning's that special shading found in black and white comic strips, most predominantly in manga. It's consistent of a bunch of little dots that, depending on size and distance apart, makes the area they're in lighter or darker. It's either done on the computer using a special program, with cut-outs you buy who-knows-where, or... meticulously placing each little dot by hand. O----o; That latter one's not called toning, I don't think, but it's a way to basically do the same thing; I've heard it takes forever, though. ^^;

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
If you're worried about wrecking your drawings, and you have access to photoshop, try printing out your art in a very pale blue and then inking over that. (You can then take out the blue when you scan it. If you want I can show you how) I use this technique loads cause you can resize things if your original sketch was small or on a page with other stuff, but also you never ruin a sketch because you never ink the original that way.

It's totally worth investing in some better pens, they're not really that much and good inking can really make your art shine. Inking with a ball point can look good sometimes but it takes aaaaaaaaaages.

And yeah, Toning is putting greys on your art to make things stand out more, or be more interesting. It can be done with 'screen tone' which is the little dots, or just normal greys. (Or doing it by hand with a pen but I'd count that as a kind of cross hatching.) Because it's primarily online, flat greys might work better than actual screen tones. Toning your stuff makes things more interesting but more importantly it can help make it easier to 'read' the drawings as well.

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

If you're worried about wrecking your drawings, and you have access to photoshop, try printing out your art in a very pale blue and then inking over that. (You can then take out the blue when you scan it. If you want I can show you how) I use this technique loads cause you can resize things if your original sketch was small or on a page with other stuff, but also you never ruin a sketch because you never ink the original that way.

It's totally worth investing in some better pens, they're not really that much and good inking can really make your art shine. Inking with a ball point can look good sometimes but it takes aaaaaaaaaages.

And yeah, Toning is putting greys on your art to make things stand out more, or be more interesting. It can be done with 'screen tone' which is the little dots, or just normal greys. (Or doing it by hand with a pen but I'd count that as a kind of cross hatching.) Because it's primarily online, flat greys might work better than actual screen tones. Toning your stuff makes things more interesting but more importantly it can help make it easier to 'read' the drawings as well.

All I really have is MS Paint when it comes down to it...I never invested in drawing programs because it's just something I picked up to occupy spare time. I doodle when I'm bored.

Anything you can teach me would be great...something actually happened to me over the weekend that made me cry in despair...I sat down to draw p6 and when I took out the old pages, they all were smudged beyond recognition!! >< omg I was devastated DD= *cries more*

I want this to be one of my best art project ever. <3 So any and all advice would be amazing! Any inking pens you recommend? Where to buy them? How would I tone my drawings without an art program? (I guess aka how would I go about finding out what and when to crosshatch?)

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
<butts in with arty advice>

A decent, free art program is GIMP. I haven't used it in a while, but it worked pretty good for me before I got Photoshop. I've also heard some good things about SAI, but as I've never tried it (or know if there's an english version for that matter, most of the users seem to be Japanese) I can't really recommend it. Worth looking into if you want a picture editing program with a little better range than MSPain.

Also! If you like using pencils, I can't recommend using fixative enough! D: It should be available in most art stores, and works as a coating for finished pencil and charcoal drawings. By applying it the drawing won't smudge as easily (or at all in some cases). I'd go for a low-odor kind if you can find it, some have pretty strong smells.

General tips... check out tutorials on coloring and inking, they can usually give you a good idea of how to do it. I also recommend looking at several tutorials dealing with the same subject, that way you can mix ideas and techniques to your own liking. There's a lot of them on DA for both digital and traditional art.
As for screentoning I've used Deleter Tones previously but since they are a bit expensive and can be pretty difficult getting the hang of, I recommend doing it digitally if only for practice.
Also, some comics doesn't need tones and can work with just black and white or added crosshatching. I suggest to find a style you like, and keep it simple in the beginning to get the hang of things.

Lastly... practice, practice, practice. It sounds like a cliché, it's a worn out advice, but it's also very very true. If you keep on drawing, looking at art and try to challenge yourself as an artist you are definitly going to evolve~

</arty advice>

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I can vouch for the GIMP as well. I don't have it on this machine but I do on my laptop and could find how to do the bluelines thing on it very quickly if you want me to. I think it would be good for your stuff to have some more control over the levels and so on so that you can make your art look as nice on screen as it does on page.

The other added thing about using a pale colour print out of your pencils is you can also 'ink' in pencil that way, if you want.

Deleter tones are great but I suggest not using them until you've got more confidence. They're fiddly, they're slow, and they're expensive. You're better off doing stuff on the computer or by hand with some cross hatching. (Though from experience.... doing a tonne of little dots by hand is hellishly boring. Actual hatching is a better idea, but you will need quite bold, strong lines if you do that to make sure your lineart doesn't get lost or overwhelmed.)

On what pens to use, my usual go to is a set of Pilot DR Drawing pens in sizes 01, 03, 05 and 08. Though anything with a range of sizes like this will do, and if there is a Muji near you, and you're not planing to do anything with markers or paint to your drawing, theirs are great and also really really cheap (Sadly my nearest Muji closed down.) If you get more confident, a brush pen could be good. The Japanese style ones that the tip is kinda like rubber are the best if you're not blessed with insanely steady hands as they have a little less give in them and also never lose a point. Those are great because you can get a big range of different thickness with just one pen. I'd suggest getting a range of fineliners, or a brush pen and one very thin fineliner. Also if you're going to be tweaking on photoshop, I recently discovered white gel pens are a godsend cause you can re-point lines that you didn't manage to taper off in the way you wanted (or just little mistakes as a whole) and it won't show up on the the final art.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I can vouch in getting a hold of decent fineliner pens- i used to ONLY draw in biro ballpoints (it was like my THING) and someone showed me the wonderful world of different thickness pens and how a 0.1 pen can make all the difference when you combine the lines with thicker pens. Never looked back, helped my artwork tremendously. I use Staedler(?) and Muji (they last for years too)

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Wow...all these people offering advice. *u* Even TRiPPY! I feel so special. <3

I don't know if there are any art stores around here, and I've always wanted a thinner inking pen...you know, for details or small pictures? I could never really ink much because my pens are like size 8. I once found a size 5, but one of my Canadian friends has a SUPER small 1 or something! Prolly the ones you guys mentioned. That...would be super awesome. ^^

So, since that was a lot of advice, I just want to get an overall summary for myself here...you guys are recommending I download the GIMP program and buy Muji inking pens? In case I can't find any stores that sell them around here, are there any reliable sites you can recommend that sell those pens cheap?

KiloTango--about that bluelines thing you keep bringing up...usually what I do when I draw is just get the sketch out all messy, then ink over it, then erase the pencil. If I scanned it in blue and printed it, I would be able to ink over the blue, but how would I get rid of the excess sketchy lines? Could you do that with this GIMP program?

Speaking of, about how big is GIMP? Because it has to fit on my USB drive...

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
You should be able to drop out the blue with GIMP, yeah. Also you print out the blue really REALLY pale and so even if you weren't fixing things with channels, the black ink will be so much stronger anyway.

(This also has the bonus of not having to rub out, so you won't risk smudging ink with an eraser. Though obviously it's only good for computer coloured or black and white images

On pens, pretty much just Muji sell Muji fineliners. The Staedler ones Trippy uses are good too, as are UniPin ones and Copic Multiliners. (Multiliners come in a brush too, I've got one and it's decent) The main sizes I use is a 03 for most things, and a 01 or 005 for fine detail. Then I use a 05 or 08 to thicken some lines to add weight and form (and add more little shadows with the fine pen.)

I don't know how big GIMP is, I'm afraid.

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm not sure what the stores are like where you live, but in case you can't find anything around I recommend Dick Blick. Their sale prices are ludicrously cheap, and even without a sale they're pretty good. Here's the pen page: http://www.dickblick...ngpens/details/ I use Sakuras, they go from 08 (huge) to 005 (so small I'm afraid I'll break it every time XD) and once they dry properly they last forever.

</butting in> ^^;

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
God I love Staedler.

Inubu

Inubu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Drawing,writing,movie making,voice acting,and sculpting.
"Ass-Grabbin' Good Time" is my all-time favorite!ROFL! :D
Love the expressions.

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
KiloTango--I'll try out this blueline method on REPRiSEp7...but I'm not confident in my shading abilities yet, digital or traditional, since I've never taken art classes. So when I try it out, I'll only ink outlines and keep a scan of the original sketch at hand just in case the inking doesn't work out. Maybe I can post a comparison post after that and see which one you guys think I should stick to. XD As long as GIMP is under 1GB, I should be able to download it without problems...I'll do that later today then, but REPRiSEp6 or p7 may not be up for a while...it's midterm exam time. x_x

Nightingale--Butt in all you like! <3 All input is helpful!

Inubu--Thanks for the compliment. XD I love that one too.

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic the hedgehog, anime, manga, drawing, books, photoshop, j-pop and rock, reading and writing fanfiction, cooking and lots of other stuff....... ^_^
GIMP was 15.9 MB
(After reading this thread, I decided to download GIMP to have a look at it.)

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

GIMP was 15.9 MB
(After reading this thread, I decided to download GIMP to have a look at it.)

Thanks for letting me know! (Nice icon!)

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic the hedgehog, anime, manga, drawing, books, photoshop, j-pop and rock, reading and writing fanfiction, cooking and lots of other stuff....... ^_^

Thanks for letting me know! (Nice icon!)

No problem :)
(Thanks, I like making icons, but I really need to improve my photoshop skills)

Nyx

Nyx

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
My favorite is 'Research', too -- the expression on Jackle's face is priceless! :P

As for inking, I can only give so much advice... :)
I've never even heard of GIMP before... Is it freeware? (And now I feel quite stupid.)

I can tell you that if you're inking on paper over your pencil lines, the grain of the paper itself can make a huge difference... I found that out the hard way... Some sketchbooks have paper that feel as thin as newspaper, others feel as thick as canvas. Try different kinds and find out what works best for you.

I use standard copy paper for everything now, it seems to work for me. Doesn't bleed too much with most markers/pens, both graphite pencils and ink flow smoothly over the surface...
Just make sure that you don't reuse paper you've already printed on, and make sure there's nothing on the other side of the paper when you scan it, otherwise you'll get all sorts of weird dots and lines on your picture that you don't want...

Good pens also make a huge difference, as people here have been telling you. You want to have different widths, hands down. While I still do traditional inking sometimes, I've found that doing it digitally is favorable because there is a magical button called the 'undo' button. I use it often, yeeessss....

Ah, sorry... Got kind of carried away, there... :D

A question, though... What do you use to color your art, usually?

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

While I still do traditional inking sometimes, I've found that doing it digitally is favorable because there is a magical button called the 'undo' button. I use it often, yeeessss....

Ah, sorry... Got kind of carried away, there... :D

A question, though... What do you use to color your art, usually?

lulz how I wish life had an Undo button. XD

Anyway, I have a set of eight Faber Castell colored pencils that I used to color everything now. I really wish I had more colors. TnT

Nyx

Nyx

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

lulz how I wish life had an Undo button. XD

I hear you. :)

Anyway, I have a set of eight Faber Castell colored pencils that I used to color everything now. I really wish I had more colors. TnT

Ah, I see!

Have you ever heard of Watercolor Pencils? They work like regular colored pencils, but they go on paper a bit easier, and they can come individually or in tins of 32 or so...

They're called watercolor because if you put a damp paintbrush to it, the colors will end up looking like a watercolor painting. If I recall correctly, they sell them in almost any craft shop, and they're not too expensive...

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Water colour pencils are great but unless you're using heavy paper or stretch it, doing the water part will also make the paper buckle. You can flatten it or pre-stretch it, but if you're doing the former, if you do a lot of wash work on it you'll still end up with some uneven-ness that can be really discouraging when you scan. (I used to use them quite a bit and it drove me up the wall.)

Good paper makes all the difference. Get something nice and thick, reasonably smooth but not shiny, and you'll be able to use it for pencils just as well as anything else.

Also, Prismacolour pencils are amazing.

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
On the subject of watercolor pencils, I usually use them completly dry on thicker drawing paper. :3 The ones I use blend very well with eachother, which makes for great monochrome drawings. :3.

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Also, Prismacolour pencils are amazing.

I've head bad things about Prismacolor markers though...most people I know prefer copic markers...how much do Prismacolor pencils run for? And how many come in a box? (I don't want to struggle with another set of 8..x_x)

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I've head bad things about Prismacolor markers though...most people I know prefer copic markers...how much do Prismacolor pencils run for? And how many come in a box? (I don't want to struggle with another set of 8..x_x)

The markers aren't great. But the pencils are the same as Karisma Colour pencils here in the UK (which are no longer in production, which is so annoying because they were the best ever) just with a different style of barrel. I've not bought Prismacolour pencils, but they're likely to be a little more expensive than normal pencils but if they are as much like Karismas as I've heard then you totally get what you pay for. The key thing with them is unlike most pencils they're wax based rather than oil based, which makes them really soft, which means you get lovely thick rich colour that blends amazingly.

Another thing you can try actually, though you'd want to check your linework wouldn't get too smudged, is that a clear 'blender' marker (any brand, cheap is fine, I used magic marker ones) will blur and smooth most coloured pencils like they were watercolour pencils, but dries in seconds and doesn't distort your paper. If you can get a bottle of IPA (Isoproply Alchohol, or something along those lines, not india pale ale XD) You can refil your blender marker with that on the cheap too. I used to use this technique quite a bit.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Kehe... my boyfriend recently only avoided spending $50 on his Prisma Colored pencil set because there was a sale on them at 25% off. XPPPPP *dies*

WOLFNiGHTS2703

WOLFNiGHTS2703

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Fangirling Reala :P Drawing reading, playing NiGHTS JOD ( duh) paralooping everyone I see immediatley :D<br /> surfing the net on a surf board :P
LMAO @ the first 'un!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users