Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

On the next show

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

I have to say, Azelover nailed it right on the head. The first show was great, because it had a sizable amount of sleep-deprived randomness, lots of you guys just kinda playing around, and a heaping helping of general having fun -- and it was all about NiGHTS. The reason I didn't like Show 2 as well is that the bulk of the program was over in the first half-hour and most of that was just doing the overview. After that, it was pretty much just DiGi talking about anything but NiGHTS. Don't get me wrong, I can't blame him for that at all. It's just that it's a NiGHTS podcast, plus the first show established the precedent of: 1) making a schedule full of NiGHTS discussion topics, 2) starting the show the way it's supposed to go, and 3) totally tossing the schedule out the window and then somehow still covering everything with tons of just having (and being) fun in between. Meanwhile, the second show kept exactly to the schedule and finished all of the real material in about five or ten minutes.

Sorry if that's really harsh, but that's just the way I see it. Thanks for the great show anyway, guys!

Hi there, Q-lok. Agreed that our show is a little disjointed due to recording at a really retarded time of day (i.e. late in the bloody evening). I began feeling somewhat sleepy towards the end and that probably didn't help the atmosphere.
The fact that the schedule get's messed up quite a bit doesn't help the show either so we may as well just forget mentioning "what's on todays show" in the recording, and tell you all on the forums what to expect after we recorded it. Mmhmm. That sounds like a better idea.

Also...erm...the part where you say "after that is was pretty much DiGi talking about anything but NiGHTS". That's hardly true. The only thing that was off NiGHTS topic was the Golden Axe mention. Other than that, everything else more or less tied in with NiGHTS into Dreams/Journey of Dreams/etc.. whether it have been how to get a 2.0 score on Gillwing or DreamCon 2007 and how parties that are organised online should be handled carefully.

It's also worth mentioning that our first show was a great success because we had to sum up EVERYTHING about JoD and what we knew about it. Since then, the news on JoD has been limited so the show's are going to be less in bulk. There's no point in making Show 02 exactly like Show 01 by going back and talking about stuff we have already discussed, therefore topics for conversation in the recent show was small. This was probably why we wanted to include a small shout-out sections and, in the future, an interview section. Those parts will have to make up for the times where news/press-releases about JoD is low.

Other than that, thanks for the crit.

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, dreaming, psychology, drawing, games (board and video), game design (board and video), photography, Sega, retrogaming, computer programming, and so on and so on.
I don't think I was precisely clear. In a spirit of trying to improve the show (since this is probably going to sound harsher than I intended), I offer this resopnse.

I will admit that my statement there was based on some incomplete evidence. The first time I listened to it, I was not really paying attention all that much after the main discussion points ended. But you have to admit that devoting almost ten minutes to MySpace-stupidity bashing is (while a noble pursuit) not really dealing directly enough with NiGHTS. The topical material is understandable, since it came from talking about DreamCon, but it was really tangential -- and to a degree that I think Show 01 never diverged.

And in address to your second point: I think that you're right; there is now a distinct shortage of new material to be discussed. But I really don't think you should let that stop you from just talking. In Show 01, most of the time was filled by you guys just talking about NiGHTS (primarily JoD), sometimes straying as far as NiD-game material, and then coming back -- bantering for both sides of any given argument or issue that had been yet raised. Meanwhile, Show 02 presented the new material without really discussing it. It's a useful service, but ultimately far less entertaining, and it allows for more unnecessary off-topic time.

As far as the new "features" go, I'm very happy to hear about it -- it means I get my shot at fame. :) But on the other hand, I really enjoyed hearing the banter of the "seasoned professionals" when you were doing your own arguing. It was a conversation on a whole new level for me, and listening to it was very insightful -- like the idea of Kevin being one of the Bad Guys of the game (which would probably never have come up if you had stuck to your schedule). I personally feel that all of the neutral discussion has not yet been had on any of the topics addressed so far, and at any time you could go back and revisit them without covering the same ground as in previous shows. All I believe it would require on your part is being careful not to repeat yourselves.

Once again, I must reiterate -- this does not mean that I want the show significantly altered in any way other than what is really best for the listeners, and that this is only my one opinion. Thank you.

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Location:WAY back in the country. And no you don't get phone service.
  • Interests:Drawing, writing, playing my flute and guitar, tap dancing, being outdoors.
Aww leave 'em alone, Q-lok. XD
Actually, part of what I like about their show is when they say something random or get off topic. It's usually then that the funny stuff happens. If they stayed strictly on a schedule and everything was just about JoD news I think it'd be sort of....OK really REALLY boring. ^^''

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Well, being honest....if you listen to Show 01 again you'll notice the offtopic sections come in just as frequently...only not as long in length when compared to Show 02. Show 01 had the whole incident with the chavs outside and his shoe, plus me eating my dinner and what not. Most show's do tend to go off topic every so often, even radio show's. I see it as a small breather to give the topic a bit of air so it doesn't feel like things are being clogged up. I'll admit that Show 02's 'off topic' sections perhaps did drag out a tad.....but if i feel like telling everyone what i read in the newspaper about some twit on MySpace then i will. It makes for good listening, even if it was off topic. If anybody else does find the offtopic sections annoying then they're free to tell us but so far we have not had many complaints about Show 02.

I have no idea what's in store for Show 03. As of now we have JoD news that we could possibly talk about but it's not a lot so we're waiting a bit longer until we have more so we can have a full length discussion.

Other than that, thank you for your opinion.

shadow1111111

shadow1111111

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Yes, the first show was more spontaneous, but they are both entertaining in the fact that DiGI and TRiPPY are acting like themselves, responding to whatever topic is at hand in sarcastic or humorous ways, even if it is a shoe hanging out of reach of idiots, or a house being recked due to MySpace. If that was lost, the show would just be news that could be just as easily read, so I welcome some off topic stuff, just not lengthy portions of the show.

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, dreaming, psychology, drawing, games (board and video), game design (board and video), photography, Sega, retrogaming, computer programming, and so on and so on.
Yes-- And that's exactly what I'm saying! The show needs those off-topic bits in the actual newscast portion. See, how it was in Show 02, the off-topic stuff came later, when they had no real reason to stick to NiGHTS -- the topical material had already been dealt with. With Show 01, the off-topic was mostly off the discussion, but not off the topic of NiGHTS. It was interspersed through the actual news, punctuating some of it in unusual ways, while at the same time just adding plain old entertainment value. Besides, the chavs with the shoes and DiGi's dinner were just events, not discussions. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but I really think that staying closer to Show 01 is best.

RachelF19

RachelF19

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Video games, Ty beanie babies,Music, Singing,Karate, The Nightmare Before Christmas. My two favorite holidays are Halloween and Christmas.
Perhaps the sub title could be Lucid Dreams ?

Sweep

Sweep

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:drawing, archery, writing, anime, manga, running, swimming, daydreaming, yaoi, religion, biking, INTERNET
i think it adds a bit more personallity. it's a NiGHTS show but it's for the PEOPLE and not for the staff of SEGA or anything. it shouldn't be completely proffessional. i want to hear my host's thoughts. i want to be in on the fun and i want to hear about NiGHTS and i want to hear about the silliness of the world. i don't think i'd particularly enjoy a show where all i heard was official business.

besides, as much as we could talk about NiGHTS, you just can't make an hour long show interesting without a little bit of people throwing shoes onto a street light. ;p

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
>_< Argh! My point has been missed again!

I'm trying to say that: Yes, the random events and such are a good thing. No, it should not be totally professional. But what it should be is on-topic. Not necessarily on-point (as seen when DiGi came up with that thing about the gloves), but on the topic of NiGHTS. It just seemed to me that the second show was more rant-and-ramble and less substance.

KatKitoshi

KatKitoshi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:video games, manga, anime, foreign music (Bollywood songs are the SHIZ!! X3)

>_< Argh! My point has been missed again!

I'm trying to say that: Yes, the random events and such are a good thing. No, it should not be totally professional. But what it should be is on-topic. Not necessarily on-point (as seen when DiGi came up with that thing about the gloves), but on the topic of NiGHTS. It just seemed to me that the second show was more rant-and-ramble and less substance.

<.< .... >.> ..... I like the show as is so far ^^; I mean, it's only been 2 episodes.
I think I know what you mean Q. About how the random was intermingled with the on-topic in the 1st show and not so much in the 2nd? is that it?

If so I don't think it's a big deal ^.^ it happens. Lots of radio shows at times go through the main topic quicker than usual, then they take the extra time to take phone calls (which I guess could be the equivalent to the interviews and shout outs =3) or just have random fun.

To me it's no big really, I didn't even notice it LoL. Both shows were pretty much the same except like Digi said there was a shortage of JoD info, so it can't be helped ^.^. And anyways like I said, it's only been 2 shows X3 lol

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to voice (and be as vocal as possible about) as many potential problems as I can see. The general idea here is that it'll eventually slip into a "norm" that's as close to my personal ideal as possible. XD Plus, if I get all of my arguing out of the way here and now, I won't have to address all of these issues later on, should they wind up being a real problem.

Angela-Marina

Angela-Marina

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I think I know what Q's getting at, that it'd be slightly more interesting and NiGHTS-y if the randomness was more along the lines of say "How do you feel about the fact that Jackle's practically naked?" than "General news-ish-ness". But hey, I don't really mind, as it gives me something to listen to for about an hour, and I quite enjoy the random bits, even if they aren't about NiGHTS.

I think it may be a good idea at this point to maybe do a kind of retrospective show for both the old fans and the new ones. Maybe talk about what really touched you about NiGHTS, what you really enjoy, and then maybe one or two little things you might want to change if you could (maybe more levels, or a smushing of Christmas NiGHTS and standard NiGHTS into one game?). You could talk about what kind of fears/schisms you think Clawz represents, or why you think Stick Canyon is designed the way that it is. You might even want to talk about the missing 'Selph' character whose music is on the OST. (I assume he's the same character that Q-Lok wrote about?)

Of course, those are all just suggestion since there hasn't been much real news lately, and I hope I'm not being rude in any way.

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

I think I know what Q's getting at, that it'd be slightly more interesting and NiGHTS-y if the randomness was more along the lines of say "How do you feel about the fact that Jackle's practically naked?" than "General news-ish-ness".

Finally! Somebody *gets* it! Ahaha, yes. You've finally gotten to what I've been trying to say the whole time.

I think it may be a good idea at this point to maybe do a kind of retrospective show for both the old fans and the new ones.

I agree. For all of the JoD stuff that's been discussed lately, there's been a surprising absence of retrospect. I think everyone could benefit from that, especially the new fans that have only been really introduced to JoD.

You might even want to talk about the missing 'Selph' character whose music is on the OST. (I assume he's the same character that Q-Lok wrote about?)

Yeah, that's right! But I definitely took the idea and ran with it. He is canon Demia, but most definitely not canon NiGHTS.

Angela-Marina

Angela-Marina

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm definitely looking forwards to the next podcast, I can't wait. =)

PS. I know it's a little off-topic, but could someone tell me what we actually know about Selph? (Ergo his appearance, role, personality, whatever)

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.

PS. I know it's a little off-topic, but could someone tell me what we actually know about Selph? (Ergo his appearance, role, personality, whatever)

You can find some info/speculations on THIS THREAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users