Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dreams playing like video games?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
All right, so, I wanted to get some deeper insight into dreams like this. They're actually kind of common for me to have (once, twice a week sometimes) and I wonder what they mean and if I'm not alone.

Sometimes when I dream I experience dream scenarios I'm directly involved in that go a certain way and end up with an undesireable outcome, like dream death, getting stuck, or losing track of what's going on. Then there'll be a moment where everything resets to a good "save point" and I'll go through it again a different way. All the while I feel like I'm actually playing a video game and the second (or third, fourth, etc) time around I'm more disconnected and more aware of what choices I made and what I should and shouldn't do, in addition to feeling like I'm holding a game controller. It literally feels like I'm playing a video game with my dreams. Good video games at that :P

Does this just mean I play too many of them, or do repeat scenarios like this have some sort of meaning? Does anyone else find their dreams playing out like this?

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
*raises hand like exited school girl* OOO! PICK ME!
*laughs* I do, too. I often "play my dreams until I get the results I want!
As for what it means... maybe you have a great amount of self control that your subconcious exibits in your dreams?

Uhobi

Uhobi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:games, fantasy books, music, oddities
happens to me plenty.
Actually the BF has a story about having a dream and trying to check his map by pressing the M key. Then he realized that there was no M key and it shocked him into a lucid state. haha.

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:I love anime and games! I collect manga more than I do anime 'cause it's cheaper, though, and cosplay from time to time. Hopefully I'll have a decent Jackle costume done in time for Nan Desu Kan this year XD. I also like yaoi, DDR, um...pandas...and yaoi. I don't like mainstream anime much though; most of it isn't very good anyway....

happens to me plenty.
Actually the BF has a story about having a dream and trying to check his map by pressing the M key. Then he realized that there was no M key and it shocked him into a lucid state. haha.

lol, bet he had fun with that.

I sometimes have dreams that play out with 'save points', but more often I have dreams about actually playing a game. sitting in front of the screen, controller in hand, playing a game I've likely been playing alot in reality. and I don't even get to dream of doing good at the game; my Sims suffer on, I keep getting perpetually lost in FFXII, and Sora's still a dumb sh!t under my control.

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
This very thing came up for discussion a couple of days ago between me and my boyfriend. Both of us has had dreams that back up to a certain point after something has gone wrong, e.g. the story is stuck or the result of doing something is less than satisfactory.

Some nights I've had the same scene play over and over again, always rewinding to the same point and always with a little bit changed. It can be something as small as a piece of dialogue, or bigger like taking a different route. I often find these dreams somewhat unsettling, like I'm in a deep, "hard" sleep during them and I wake up not fully rested and slightly disoriented.
Anyone else had that kind of reaction to dreams like these?

Chronos

Chronos

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:My interests are drawing, watching animes and tv shows, cosplaying (if u want to c my cosplaying got to DA, cosplay.com, or myspace.com/ViewtifulChronos.), play video games, play tennis, spend some time playing my ocarina, creating stories or mostly make comics and spend time with friends and family. i m not putting much but thats mostly what i m interested in and also a NiGHTSFan and a Sonicfan. There is more to say but i end it like this for now.
this happens to me too a lot. Its like i have more then just 1 dream though. I dont know. Sometimes i dont know whats going on cause sometimes i am myself then i am someone else like from a cartoon or something. Like i had this dream when i was Goku, then out of nowhere i turned back to myself. I dont know but its fun at times having those kind of dreams.

Nix Entente

Nix Entente

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
So, i have had dreams where I knew that what I was doing was a video. But, the way that Travis is describing it sounds like his mind beginning to naturally recognize dream signs throughout the week.

basically, I think that you're just beginning to pick up on the fact that you're dreaming, but not quite reaching lucidity. Dreamself does something bad, brains says "Lulz, not doing that again" and repeats the event to a better outcome. This is especially good if you dwell on the dream a little more in waking. Sometimes, if you can come up with different solutions while you're awake, and imagining yourself doing them before you fall asleep, your brain should be more prepared to try those solutions in the dream.

Of course, this all is a weird amalgam of fact and theory and testimony, so you'll have to pardon me if this is too babblish. XD

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I've sort of had dreams like that. I've had dreams where I finish the dream sort of early, so I start the whole dream over again. Only this time, I know what happens in the dream and I do things differently to change the outcome. It's really cool but hasn't happened in a while.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
My guess is you have a desire to either be playing (or LIVING in) a video game or else just a desire to explore possible outcomes?
I am a fan of Freudian dream analysis (to a point) and that would fit, I think?

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on a NiGHTS themed forum, than what do you think my interests are!? Aside from that: Video games, drawing, writing songs, acting like an idiot, listening to the same bloody songs over and over, My fanmaren, and dreams are about it. :D

Freudian

WTF?

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I occasionally have dreams like this but I don't dream often (five ta six times a year about) once I had a dream of some characters fighting some 2 trolls with an odd combat system a character, named Abrecan, ran up to the last troll and killed it, after the fight was finished it brought me to a results screen of sorts I remember I saw it said I had obtained 2 peppers and 1 herb... a few days later I got my hands on a game called Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage. after playing it abit I got in a fight against 2 trolls and one of my characters, you guessed it Abrecan, ran up killing the last one I was brought to a results screen exactly like the one in my dream and I even got the same items (2 peppers and an herb). I was shocked my friends with me at the time, however, simply thought I was crazy lol. I've had several dreams like this but I can't remember em <_<

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things

WTF?

The Freud Dude. He invented psychoanalysis. One of his first major works was "The Interpretation of Dreams" which is a long and confusing book but boils down to the belief that dreams are wish-fulfillment (conscious or unconscious).

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

The Freud Dude. He invented psychoanalysis. One of his first major works was "The Interpretation of Dreams" which is a long and confusing book but boils down to the belief that dreams are wish-fulfillment (conscious or unconscious).

I just read him up, quite impressive, I think.
wouldn't it be great if dreams could play like an online game? I mean like have a dream and be able to see others in this bizzar world of the mind. Somehow be able to interact with people around the world through sleep at ones will? Just thinking out-loud I liek meeting and getting to know new people.

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on a NiGHTS themed forum, than what do you think my interests are!? Aside from that: Video games, drawing, writing songs, acting like an idiot, listening to the same bloody songs over and over, My fanmaren, and dreams are about it. :D

Oh...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users