Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star Wars in Soul Calibur IV

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I sh!t you not. Link

Three words come to mind:

What...the...f***

I'll still buy the game if it's good, but honestly. Way to jump the shark Namco. Seriously, look at the teaser. Vader is locking swords with Mitsurugi :(. Apparently Yoda is exclusive to 360 while Vader is PS3 only. That also annoys me because I mostly play my 360 and Vader is more badass than Yoda.

Thank Prime for Tekken 6 and them not pulling crazy stunts like this. So what do you guys think of this news?

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Why would they do that?! Dear god!

Tsunami

Tsunami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Ecology, biology, wildlife studies, art (including sculpting, photography, illustration, and animation), video games

So what do you guys think of this news?

Basically what you said: what the f***.

Well, since we're stuck with it anyway, I hope General Grievous will be playable. >:|

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
...now I don't want the game anymore. *tear* What the hell!?

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
NOOOO!!! Then that means Chuck Norris will join the cast too!

I don't want to play Soul Calibur 4 anymore..... D: Thanks for ruining my fandom, Namco

DylanJohn

DylanJohn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I've only got one word, really: awesomesauce.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
This made me laugh my ass off when i seen the trailer yesterday. It's not THAT bad, i mean i personaly think having Spawn and Link in there was pretty weird the first time around. Plus with this gimmick lots of starwars nuts will buy the game, thus it selling lots. It's funny and i'm actually looking forward to it more now because i want to beat Ivy's ass with Vader.

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
They... dont fit! Star Wars was technologically advanced from modern times, and Soul Caliber seems to take place in Renaissance- esque times....

DylanJohn

DylanJohn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

They... dont fit!

Why do they have to? They're just bonus characters, a neat extra for people to enjoy and help push a few extra units.

Besides, one could argue that they fit more than Heihachi and Spawn did in SC2. The Star Wars setting might be technologically futuristic, but one must remember that it is "a long time ago". Soul Calibur is a weapon-based combat series, Heihachi didn't even have a weapon; at least Yoda and Vader are packing their Lightsabers.

It's a fighting game. Don't put too much thought into it, just roll with the fact that there's a couple more awesome characters in it.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
And not one for the Wii? But... But... I don't have a PS3 or a 360! And I want this game so much.... :'(

Chun-li Kittylien

Chun-li Kittylien

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:To also know fans of NiGHTS and of other games of SEGA!!!^^ Ah, also taste of fighting games (Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter...), anime, mangá, cartoon and comics!<br /><br />Conhecer fãs de NiGHTS e também de outros jogos da SEGA!!!^^ Ah, também gosto de fighting games (Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter...), anime, mangá, cartoon e comics!!!
The Force is with Namco... :P :(

Trash Jack

Trash Jack

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
This gives me reason to buy a PS3. So I can have the ultimate match-up: Darth Vader vs. Nightmare. The Dark Side of the Force vs. the evil blade, Soul Edge.

Oh, yeah. Here comes something I've been tempted to do for some time now!

George Lucas: "You got your Soulcalibur in my Star Wars!"

Hiroaki Yotoriyama: "You got your Star Wars in my Soulcalibur!"

Oh, how low I have sunk.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
But oh, how much I LOLed at that, Trash Jack....

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
Stop whining people. They are extra characters that you only have to play as once (to get their ending) if you don't like them.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I have been meaning to post my point of view on this since i heard about it.

This is sh!t. I mean, for the last game in the series, they could have done something much better than throw this crap in there.

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
Well, this seems like a last resort for extra characters... :/

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Well, a little update for you on this game which they seem to be ruining in terms of storyline -

Another f*!*ing light-sabre weilding character has made an appearance. Character is Darth Vadar's secret apprentice called Starkiller (ooh, what a cool name. sounds like some of the n00bs we get in the forums) and he's set to also appear in a Star Wars game that's going to be released this year. Reckon Namco are selling out yet?

For more information on this feel free to watch this - super cool trailer here!

Man, i really used to love Soul Calibur for that storyline and the way each character wrote themselves into the universe. It was good quality stuff and i appreciated the writing that went into those games.
With these Star Wars people now all over the place it just ruins it totally. It's not the kinda cross-over this game needed, in my opinion.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
I'm pissed about these stupid Star Wars characters, but i'm still gonna buy it for the special Manga Guest Artist Characters >>

Geez.....Starkiller >_<

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
I think in Soul Calibur V, we can look forward to a colorful cast of...

Metal Sonic
Aladdin
The Happy Mask Man
Chun Li
Ash Ketchum
Shippo from Inuyasha
and Big the Cat.

Metaria

Metaria

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Vader's secret apprentice is from the upcoming game The Force Unleashed. I guess they're using SC4 as another outlet for hyping the game up (since it's been delayed a few times...)

I'm not sure about how I feel for SC4 or TFU. I'll probably get both, eventually, but lately Star Wars hasn't held as much excitement for me as it used to.

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
If the game play busts like SC3, I will NEVER buy any other sequel in the series.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I wish they had just named it Soul Calibur v.s. Star Wars or Namco v.s. Lucas Arts. This sounds too much like a spin off to be taken seriously. It's either they seriously need cash which I doubt because Naruto games sell like crazy, or they are trying to take down Super Smash Bros and are horribly failing as I type.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I wouldn't care about the inclusion of the Star Wars characters if the whole thing didn't stink like a shameless marketing ploy. Look back on Soul Calibur 2. It was already in arcades for quite some time so when it was announced for consoles, Namco just kind of treated the exclusive characters as a fun little gimmick for s***s and giggles. It was much the same deal when we heard we could play a Halo Spartan in Dead or Alive 4. No biggie, just there for fun guys. Now lets look at SC4. Ever since Vader and Yoda were announced, there hasn't been a single major teaser that hasn't emphasized the fact that there are Star Wars characters in the game. I mean Jesus, Starkiller is an extended universe character from a game that hasn't even been released yet! I don't care who you are, Link, Heihachi and even (god help us) Spawn were a better fit in the Soul Calibur universe. At least none of them were using lightsabers.

Even the manga artist characters are gimmicky, but they have two things in their favor. First, they're original characters made specifically for the game. Second, they're not horribly out of place. Even so, all this all has me really concerned actually. It feels like Namco is marketing like nuts and making a mad dash for sales almost as if the game couldn't actually sell by its own gameplay merits, opting to rely on gimmicks instead. The fact that Namco is once again eschewing an arcade version does nothing to ease my mind. I still have every intention of buying this, but it is with the greatest amount of trepidation. I don't care much for Star Wars and will only play the force users the minimum amount needed to unlock everything, and the only way I'll forgive their presence is if this game is at least as good as Soul Calibur 2. Like Snugs, if this game is broken like SC3 I doubt I'll buy any more games in the series. Thank goodness Namco doesn't mess around with Tekken.

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
The way SC3 played, made me feel like, top tier is absolute, you HAVE to play someone who is top tier or lose.
At least in MvC2, some of the non-god tiers where playable on a team, but not for SC3. =l

:edit:
When you say messing with Tekken, does Bob supposedly being Top tier count?

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I haven't actually seen these guest characters that were created by the Manga artist. Can anybody show me what they look like? I'm interested.

And i agree about SC3. I loved the game a lot but it was fucked in some areas. They rushed the game so much that a huge percentage of owners experienced corrupt save files if they messed around with other files on their memory cards. I was one of those people - I had a SC3 save file lasting over one year because i had been taking my time to unlock everything and basically enjoy the story mode segment that had that Strife idiot in it (who was a complete power-house by the last fight and due to my uneven character usage it was impossible for me to beat him). I had been wanting to play Outrun 2006 but i did not have enough memory on my card so i went back and deleted a few older game files, like Tekken 4 which i don't play anymore. When i went back to SC3 it said my save file was corrupted. Apparently many people experienced this problem.

Anyways, as for SC4. I still don't like the inclusion of Star Wars characters because it does seem like a cash in and not a little bit of fun. When i first saw Darth Vadar i was seriously "wtf?" and i didn't understand how light-sabres could cut through everything else yet it couldn't cut through Mitsurugi's metal katana. I suppose they're going to say the light-sabre was weakened or some retarded shyte no doubt. After a while i did get a little used to the addition of Vadar and Yoda because i began seeing them as nothing but cameo's similar to Link and Spawns addition to SC2. But with this extra Starkiller pisshead who's also another Star Wars character i'm really bored with it and disliking the new take on the series.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

I haven't actually seen these guest characters that were created by the Manga artist. Can anybody show me what they look like? I'm interested.

Ask and you shall receive bunny-man.

Posted Image
Shura - Designed by Hiroya Oku, best known for making Gantz.

Posted Image
Scheherazade - Designed by Yutaka Izubuchi. He mostly designs costumes or mechs and has been involved in several things such as RahXephon, Gundam, Patlabor, and Jin-Roh.

Posted Image
Angol Fear - Designed by Mine Yoshizaki who's probably best known for making Sgt. Frog.

Posted Image
Ashlotte - Designed by Oh! great. He's probably best known for making Tenjho Tenge.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
Ashlotte and Angol Fear are made of win <3

Shura reminds me too much of Taki =/

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Woah! O_O
Now that's pretty cool, i like that Shura character. Ashlotte reminds me of TRiPPY's Gen characters a bit yet is still quite cool. Angol Fear doesn't look too bad either.

So...hang on. Are these characters main characters aswell? Like do they have their own stories and stuff or are they just a bit of extra content kinda like how the bonus fighters featured in SC3 - characters but no story?

Seeing these characters has made me regain a bit of faith in this game. I like the looks of those.
Cheers Zero. :(

Arctides

Arctides

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Am I the only person who's looking forward to playing as Vader?
Especially in hopes that they made the "NOOOOOOO" sound clip one of his death sounds.
Considering how bad I am at Soul Calibur, I'd be hearing it a lot.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Ashlotte WOAH she looks awesome! cageskirts rule and I'm digging the details on her.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Shura reminds me of Mortal Kombat while Scheherazade reminds me a lot of Zelda.

Angol Fear and Ashlotte look like the most legit SC characters out of those pictures.

This brings up one more question. Will we be seeing more new males besides the SW characters?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Got news guys. Apparently some store in the US broke street date and sold a few copies of this game over a week early. Anyway, the point is some guys have been uploading videos of the gameplay and even though they get taken down almost as fast as they go up, I managed to see a couple and I can tell you something about the manga artist characters.

From what I can tell, they appear to simply be new skins on preexisting movesets. No story as far as I can tell either. For example, Shura fights exactly like Cervantes. It doesn't bother me too much though. They are bonus characters. They never really needed to be in the game. Besides, I think it's better these guys have some well developed movesets rather than those half-assed custom character styles from SC3.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Being honest, ever since i heard the news of Star Wars characters being in the game i really wanted to see some brand new characters. So when i found out these manga artists were making characters for the game i was obviously happy because it wrote over the Star Wars bullshit. But after reading this i'm kinda dissapointed again. I suppose if they did rush the moveset then that would have been shabby....but i'm tired of fighting games containing characters that reuses other characters movesets. I honestly think if game companies are going to throw in a bunch of characters that are fresh in design then they should at least have the decency to take time and make them stand out and be original in every possible way.

But, yeh. Whatever i guess. This game lost so much appeal to me when they announced the third Star Wars guy was going to be in it. That really kinda killed it for me. It's sad because i was so hyped about Soul Calibur 3 back in the day and when i heard 4 was in the making i was really looking forward to it. But now i'm just ..meh.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I don't really see the problem with Star wars characters being in the game. Now I admit I have NEVER played a Soul Caliber game... and I was planning this one to be my first... I've seen a small bit of Soul Caliber 4 gameplay with Vader and it didn't look bad (I have a ps3 AND a 360 so no complaints here) plus they're just characters right? it's not like Vader and Yoda will completely change the Soul Caliber formula right?
besides
the company is Bandinamco one of the best companies out there atm with games like .Hack//G.U. and Tales of the Abyss there really shouldn't be much of a problem...
the only issue I can think of is continuing a series that's 4 games long (or more I think...) without making it repetitive...

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

I don't really see the problem with Star wars characters being in the game. Now I admit I have NEVER played a Soul Caliber game... and I was planning this one to be my first...

I've ranted earlier about this but I'll give you the abbreviated version. It's a heavy-handed marketing ploy and when companies employ such tactics, it tends to send the message that they aren't very confident in their product. There is also the possibility you just don't like Star Wars or rather don't like Star Wars harming the integrity the Soul franchise.

Honestly Saifer, if you want to get into the series I highly recommend you pick up Soul Calibur II instead. In my opinion it is the peak of the series. Easy to find too and it shouldn't cost more than $20 tops.

Hey DiGi, don't give up yet. It might just turn out alright. As far as characters go there is still Hilde and Algol who I know for a fact are new characters in every sense. Besides, I'm buying this game on launch and I'll be sure to let everybody here know what I think of it.

Finally, there is apparently a 5th manga character called Kamikirimusi. She's drawn by some character designer/animation director from Sunrise named Hirokazu Hisayuki.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Cool, let us know what you think of it, man. I'll be interested to see what your view on it is.

I agree with the Star Wars thing. Soul Calibur had a very interesting storyline and it all took place on Earth. Now characters from a SciFi film where the characters are from a galaxy 'far far away' are turning up? It just seems less about originality and more about MONEIZ. Get me? Last game in the series and they probably thought "f*** it, let's get some big money here!" so they call up Mr. Lucas and say "hey homes! Guess whut? We got a very successful game series here and we're making the last one. You's gots a lotta money. Let's talk dollaz!".
Soul Calibur had a crazy ambience about it that i can't explain. Throwing all this SciFi stuff into it just don't gel and it ruins that ambience.

That 5th manga character looks interesting. I'm betting she plays with a moveset similar to Seigfried/Nightmare though, judging by those screenshots.

I'll still get this game (when i get a 360) because i want to see this storyline completed. It was a good story and i'm hoping this inclusion of the StarWars stuff doesn't ruin it too much.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

It's a heavy-handed marketing ploy and when companies employ such tactics, it tends to send the message that they aren't very confident in their product. There is also the possibility you just don't like Star Wars or rather don't like Star Wars harming the integrity the Soul franchise.

I see... that makes sense... but I don't think that Star Wars would be much of an issue in terms of messing with storyline (Bandai made games with amazing story lines since .hack so I don't think Namcobandi would let star wars screw with that much...) let alone the fact it's an actual sequel since they would be better off employing these "off" characters in Soul Caliber Legends or something along those lines... That being said I think what you said about Namcobandai not being confident in their product is the most likely event...

the only issue I can think of is continuing a series that's 4 games long (or more I think...) without making it repetitive...

All and all I doubt storyline or gameply would be majorly affected... which in terms of gameplay could be both good and bad (just look at dynasty warriors) keep in mind that they could simply take the "Sonic Riders approach" where they simply did not use the new characters in the storyline...
plus if you hate star wars...
think of it as an opportunity to beat the tar outa Yoda and Vader...
p.s. sorry for not noticing you mentioning this before Zero-Shift if you brought it up I didn't see that post...

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Bump for 1Up's glowing review of SC IV - http://www.1up.com/d...age?cId=3168981

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Pffft...Soul Calibur 3 got glowing reviews too and look how that turned out. I'd rather hear opinions from people who play the game at length.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
Never trust the critics...
In most cases, one can tell if a game is good through trailers showing gameplay and other important factors, that is so long as the control scheme isn't completely dead... can anyone link me to a gameplay trailer?
thx in advance...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users