Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Psychology & NiGHTS

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:I love anime and games! I collect manga more than I do anime 'cause it's cheaper, though, and cosplay from time to time. Hopefully I'll have a decent Jackle costume done in time for Nan Desu Kan this year XD. I also like yaoi, DDR, um...pandas...and yaoi. I don't like mainstream anime much though; most of it isn't very good anyway....
Sorry if there's already a thread like this. I can't seem to find it ._. .

Anyway, just wanted to throw in an interesting find. Hans Eysenck has this thing called a P-E-N model, or psychoticism, extraversion, and neuroticism, to model human personalities.

People who scored high in Psychoticism tend to be more prone to mental illness, i.e. bipolar, schizophrenic, or other personality disorders. Lower scores depicted a more stable-minded person.

Extraversion pairs with introversion- outgoing and shy, in essence. Extraverts, and I quote, "are gregarious, assertive, and seek out excitement."

Lastly, neuroticism is the tendency towards experiencing negative emotional states like anger, depression, and guilt. High-scorers in neuroticism are more likely to have trouble with stuff like delaying gratification and see minor problems as being hopeless.

Call me wacko, but I'm seeing a lot of relations to Jackle, NiGHTS, and Reala here.

Jackle is a dead ringer for psychoticism- his inanely decorated room/battle area, his music, and his creepy laugh make me think so. His invisible body could have a hidden meaning, like people with mental issues can't see it for themselves, and the cloak is the denial of anything being wrong.

NiGHTS definitely likes adventure and excitement, and going against Wizeman was a very gutsy thing to do. No introvert could have done something like that. When he meets Will and Helen he is very assertive and friendly towards them. Extraversion, ne?

And Reala, at least for me, seems like a 'drama queen' in essence; always pissed off. Maybe it's just 'cause he's bound to be angry with NiGHTS, but he does seem to make things out to be worse than they really are. So he could be neuroticism.

[/rant]

Is anyone else seeing some kind of connection here? *sweatdrop*

Oneris

Oneris

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually I agree with you, that is a pretty neat find. Haha Reala the drama queen. -giggles-

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.
Hmm...

You've brought up some pretty interesting stuff, I never looked at the Nightmaren trio in that light before...

*says nothing about Queen Reala for fear of swat to the head*

^_^ Go Dreamer

^_^ Go Dreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of NiGHTS, Reala, And Jackle! I love to play video games, mostly (SEGA & Nintendo). Love Anime. I Love talking about NiGHTS!!! Also I like surfing the internet! ^_^
Great find!! ^_^

I absolutely agree!! It makes me think because Even though he's kinda...Well he's psychotic I don't think that Jackle thinks what he's doing is bad, he's unaware!! and NiGHTS is always so adventurous even when it's dangerous! And Reala aka. the Drama queen *cringes* <.<... >.>..... always seems to be so angry or annoyed in a sence! ^_^

*sweats* umm....... YAY!! JACKLE!!!! XD

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
Wow, that's clever. Mind if I copy-and-paste that into a Text document to look at without having to go online? That's a fantastic find, right there.

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
:D Go Dreamer)-->
QUOTE (:lol: Go Dreamer @ Jan 10 2008, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great find!! ^_^

I absolutely agree!! It makes me think because Even though he's kinda...Well he's psychotic I don't think that Jackle thinks what he's doing is bad, he's unaware!! and NiGHTS is always so adventurous even when it's dangerous! And Reala aka. the Drama queen *cringes* <.<... >.>..... always seems to be so angry or annoyed in a sence! ^_^

*sweats* umm....... YAY!! JACKLE!!!! XD[/quote]

Oh... you kinda reminded me of how this clip always sort of reminded me of Jackle. "I can do no wrong, for I do not know what it is."
Prepare for creepiness.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~

:D Go Dreamer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (:lol: Go Dreamer @ Jan 10 2008, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great find!! ^_^

Oh... you kinda reminded me of how this clip always sort of reminded me of Jackle. "I can do no wrong, for I do not know what it is."
Prepare for creepiness.

That clip weirded me out, man....

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
Lol, Im an introvert, so NiGHTS is a perfect match! *Fangurl giggle*

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:I love anime and games! I collect manga more than I do anime 'cause it's cheaper, though, and cosplay from time to time. Hopefully I'll have a decent Jackle costume done in time for Nan Desu Kan this year XD. I also like yaoi, DDR, um...pandas...and yaoi. I don't like mainstream anime much though; most of it isn't very good anyway....
Same here with being introverted- people are scary, man. As for Jackle, I think some small tiny little voice in his head knows he's being a bad boy, but he isn't aware of that particular tiny voice nor does he listen to it. Or he simply doesn't have a sense of right and wrong. Like a small child- the only 'right' is what makes him happy and is fun, and 'wrong' is anything that isn't appealing or enjoyable, with no logic or reasoning other than that. ...why the hetch would Wizeman make a maren like that? o.o

I can't tell if you're joking, DAiLiGHT, so ehm...feel free ^-^. *joins the Jackle fangirls*

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Or he simply doesn't have a sense of right and wrong. Like a small child- the only 'right' is what makes him happy and is fun, and 'wrong' is anything that isn't appealing or enjoyable, with no logic or reasoning other than that. ...why the hetch would Wizeman make a maren like that? o.o

I would propose a theory/explanation, but it would border so much on JoD spoilers that I don't feel comfortable posting it. And even if I posted it in spoiler tags, I'm sure future discussion would inevitably ruin something.

Anyway that Hans Eysenck theory has some merit behind it, and it's quite interesting how each one of them fits into each personality type. Although I don't see Reala as very dramatic; moreso just overly aggressive in certain situations. It's hard to tell though...

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

I would propose a theory/explanation, but it would border so much on JoD spoilers that I don't feel comfortable posting it. And even if I posted it in spoiler tags, I'm sure future discussion would inevitably ruin something.

Anyway that Hans Eysenck theory has some merit behind it, and it's quite interesting how each one of them fits into each personality type. Although I don't see Reala as very dramatic; moreso just overly aggressive in certain situations. It's hard to tell though...

Oooh, tell tell! XD if you must, message it to me. I'd much like to hear your theory.

Part of what I think makes Reala seem somewhat dramatic is his debatable "There is no NiGHTS" line. Drama queeeen >.>. Being agressive and being dramatic are two separate things, but the line between is kinda fuzzy at times. *shrug*

^_^ Go Dreamer

^_^ Go Dreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of NiGHTS, Reala, And Jackle! I love to play video games, mostly (SEGA &amp; Nintendo). Love Anime. I Love talking about NiGHTS!!! Also I like surfing the internet! ^_^

Same here with being introverted- people are scary, man. As for Jackle, I think some small tiny little voice in his head knows he's being a bad boy, but he isn't aware of that particular tiny voice nor does he listen to it. Or he simply doesn't have a sense of right and wrong. Like a small child- the only 'right' is what makes him happy and is fun, and 'wrong' is anything that isn't appealing or enjoyable, with no logic or reasoning other than that. ...why the hetch would Wizeman make a maren like that? o.o

I can't tell if you're joking, DAiLiGHT, so ehm...feel free ^-^. *joins the Jackle fangirls*

Hey that vid clip did remind me of Jackle!! ^_^ It was a bit creeepy but hey Jackle is too! XD
I think the fact that he has no sense of right and wrong is one of the reasons I like him so much!!! His logic Is Special Awesome!! ^.^ *glomps a pair of jeans she drew Jackle on*

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Jackle is funny. Not, haha funny, but OMG UR WEIRD funny.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
That is quite interesting. Honestly, I do NOT like Jackle, he scares me. o_O But the psychology aspect is nice, I know about the Jungian psychological archetypes, but not the kind you speak of.

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

:P Go Dreamer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (^_^ Go Dreamer @ Jan 10 2008, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great find!! ^_^

Prepare for creepiness.

That cartoon is frightening...
Seriously.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
So judging from the first post I am mentally ill. I'm f**ked.

Lol the mysterious stranger clip is hilarious. "Welcome to the Mysterious Stranger." It's like a theme park attraction for potential rape victims or something. I've seen it too many times and still can't watch it seriously.

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
*watches the topic resurrect itself* o.o Well....

The Mysterious Stranger is scary sh!t, but in a good way. It's funny that it was gonna be a little kid's show o.o get the kiddies thinking deep, philosophical thoughts before puberty.... But I agree with parts of it suiting Jackle's mindset- I can see him taking the place of Satan in the clip easily.

Agreed, iLLViLLAiN- I belong in a nuthouse, myself. XD

Never read about the Jungian archetypes. I've read about Jung himself tho ^-^, and truthfully I didn't know anything about the PEN model until I found it browsing Wiki. Pure luck.

I'm still not too sure about Reala as neuroticism, though. He doesn't fit as well as NiGHTS and Jackle, but then, it's not as if Sega meant for them to match like that in the first place. *shrug* Or did they? Dun dun dun.

*skips off to Wiki for info on Jungian archetypes*

Nix Entente

Nix Entente

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I've always seen Reala as simply very...traditional. Like, that one guy who says, "This is the way it is, and that's the way it should be." Stubborn. Not neurotic in the least. I don't think his stereotype fits. :c

NiGHTS and Jackle are really perfect though. XD

UNLESS

Jackle isn't actually insane. What if he knows that dreamers are easily disoriented or deceived, and uses a guise of insanity as a tool to steal their ideya or to get them to go away?

Crack idea, but whatevs. : P

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

I've always seen Reala as simply very...traditional. Like, that one guy who says, "This is the way it is, and that's the way it should be." Stubborn. Not neurotic in the least. I don't think his stereotype fits. :c

NiGHTS and Jackle are really perfect though. XD

UNLESS

Jackle isn't actually insane. What if he knows that dreamers are easily disoriented or deceived, and uses a guise of insanity as a tool to steal their ideya or to get them to go away?

Crack idea, but whatevs. : P

Hm. Good point. But again, it's not as if Sega were actually intending the three to fit the PEN model in the first place (and my brain goes, "or did they???" ). Some might see Ree as a neurotic headcase, others see him as a stubborn old goat. It really depends on the dreamer.

As for Jackle, you got some interesting plot bunnies bouncing in my head. Crack ideas are their favorite food, after all. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users