Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Selph...

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
I have been thinking(shocking, i know)...Do you think that Selph /might/ be in JoD? Do you want him to be? I know I do! I'd love to know what he looks like, what his purpose is, etc. What about you guys? It's awesome enough that Reala's in JoD, but if they put Selph in...Maaaaaan, I'd skip right over to Sega HQ and hug 'em all!

VERTiGO

VERTiGO

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:well, NiGHTS, of course, but besides that, we got the video games, the techno music, the card magic, and anything that can ammuse the easily ammused. such as the evil golf ball snow globe.
that would rule! there are so many ideas of what Selph would look like, perhaps that was Sega's idea all along. Just to taunt us with a hidden file and to have all our creativity be put to work... so we do the work for them! We imagine, create, and draw the concept art that they will make Selph from. That's clever, though just my idea, very clever, Sega.

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
oO Ohmigawd. You might be right! Sega...If you're reading this...You are all clever, sneaking little---Well, I rather not curse. >>

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Heh heh, I mentioned that on the Reala topic, it would be awesome if they did! ^_^

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I am hoping so, it was a theory/idea of mine to have Selph added, I actually keep my thoughts about it to myself but I did mention all I wanted about Selph in my letter to Sega.

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
We should send another package to Sega. 'Cept, this time, it'd be all Selph-related. XD And lovely avatar, DiENE!

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
You know what would be really funny. If the Selph file was never really a boss file at all. Maybe it was just some name for the codeing of you actually battling the bosses. Or maybe it represented the second NiGHTS that plays by your side while your fighting Wizman. And then...all this Selph stuff was all for nothing. D:

No seriously, I would like Selph to have been a real boss. Maybe a he is some kind of mirror. I don't know. Would be nice to see it though.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Yami, I actually had a similar theory about that. I thought maybe there was a doppleganger NiGHTS that you were to fight and instead they just had a second NiGHTS fight with you in the boss fight. He/she/it had a theme song and everything, so I figure maybe it really was a fight, though, not just a code for a project.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
I haven't heard much about this Selph creature, really. At least, none of the theories. I just assumed s/he was a discarded boss maren! I once downloaded Selph's theme without knowing its' origin, and I wished they'd kept it in the game! There must have been some epic battle planned.. let's hope Sega knows what to do!

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
I mainly thought that because it has NiGHTS's melody all over it. Everyone else has their own unique songs.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Yami, I actually had a similar theory about that. I thought maybe there was a doppleganger NiGHTS that you were to fight and instead they just had a second NiGHTS fight with you in the boss fight. He/she/it had a theme song and everything, so I figure maybe it really was a fight, though, not just a code for a project.

I know TRiPPY put in her audio section that Know Thyself is the deleted boss battle music, but I am unaware of where she got that info from. Where does it say that? It doesn't look like it is said on the CD cover thing. Did she translate something? I would really like to know.

But it is ture, that song does make it seem like there was another battle. Or maybe optional music that they decided to replace with another. Well, TRiPPY usually knows what she is talking about so I think I can belive her.

I mainly thought that because it has NiGHTS's melody all over it. Everyone else has their own unique songs.

Maybe it was a song they were going to put in Twin Seeds but decided on a different one? Or maybe it was a battle beteen Clairs and Elliot as NiGHTS for no real reason. Kinda like how Sonic and Blaze fought each other in Sonic Rush....

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
Uhh... Stupid question, but please indulge the newbie.

Exactly who or what is Selph?

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Selph was a nightmaren that was left out of the first game. Had boss fight music and everything. I don't know a lot of details, but either there weren't any designs or they weren't released, because no one knows who or what it is or what it looks like and such.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?

Well, from what I know, Selph was a boss Nightmaren that was taken from the game before it was released. He/she/it had the same theme as NiGHTS, but it was a bit more stately. I'm guessing that he was a Nightmaren that looked like NiGHTS, Reala, and Jackle, at least being that he was humanish. But that's all that's really known...

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
Well, we have to consider that "Selph" is a very transparent wordplay on "self".

So, isn't it concievable that Selph could've been like an "anti-Claris" or an "anti-Eliot"? The theme would still fit, I should think. Just a thought.

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
I think it would be brilliant if they included Selph in JoD. <3's~ Especially since he/she got cut from the first game. If they do include Selph I wonder if they will give him/her a new design from what they thought of for the original game? (If they got as far as designs for the boss back then.) If they do redesign Selph it would be neat to include pics of thier original design plans for him I think, to finally solve the mystery of Selph after all these years. ^^

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
I think the mystery of Selph plays out like this...

Segaperson: Agh! We haven't finished this next level yet!

Segaperson2: Well, we need to release NiGHTS NOW!

Segaperson: We'll just have to cut it and the boss...

Segaperson2: Who was the boss?

Segaperson: Selph.

BAM. XD

But seriously...
Maybe Wizeman thought Selph was too powerful and locked him away to keep him from doing the same thing NiGHTS did?

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

I think the mystery of Selph plays out like this...

Segaperson: Agh! We haven't finished this next level yet!

Segaperson2: Well, we need to release NiGHTS NOW!

Segaperson: We'll just have to cut it and the boss...

Segaperson2: Who was the boss?

Segaperson: Selph.

BAM. XD

But seriously...
Maybe Wizeman thought Selph was too powerful and locked him away to keep him from doing the same thing NiGHTS did?

I bet that is how things work in Sega or any game company. lol Oh the life of programming must really stink!

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
Ugh yeah. It would be neat to if the programmers had maybe slipped in hints about Selph's appearance or identity. Although who knows maybe they did and we just don't know it.

Might be interesting if he/she was super powerful and was locked away. Oooh maybe it could even be a secret unlockable optional boss for the last level.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Ugh yeah. It would be neat to if the programmers had maybe slipped in hints about Selph's appearance or identity. Although who knows maybe they did and we just don't know it.

Might be interesting if he/she was super powerful and was locked away. Oooh maybe it could even be a secret unlockable optional boss for the last level.

*sigh* So you're basically saying...Extra Boss?
Can you say: "Last Story?"

Reala: OMG NiGHTS TOGETHER WE CAN USE THE IDEYA EMERALDZ!!!11

NiGHTS: WE'LL SHOW HIM the TRUE POWER OF TEAMWORK!1!!1

*crappy rock theme*

Then NiGHTS and Reala turn gold and silver. Then, every NiGHTS fan on the face of the Earth becomes one and destroys SEGA of USA.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

*crappy rock theme*

Then NiGHTS and Reala turn gold and silver. Then, every NiGHTS fan on the face of the Earth becomes one and destroys SEGA of USA.

Oh god I can't hold in my laughter. Oh Sega my dear please don't. Yes, the day Reala and NiGHTS unite as one is the very day the fans will as well.

Unlockables...I would like to see an unlockable system similar to Christmas NiGHTS though. That was pretty good. Nice features too.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
Although it WOULD be very cool to see NiGHTS and Reala together again like they were in the good ol' days, I would NOT want it to be them in SUPER forms...
Just the thought of brothers putting aside their differences to save both the worlds of Nightopia and Nightmare...*sniffle* I think...I think I'm gonna cry...

NiGHTS: I love you man.

Reala: Don't touch me.

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

*crappy rock theme*

LOL omg yeah I hadn't thought of that! That would be awful. XD

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

*crappy rock theme*

Agreed.

But what if they went that route with the Dreamers? You know, without the crappy writing and the worse music?

If you think back to the last few moments of the original game, a key part of the finale was how Claris and Eliot freed NiGHTS and defeated Wizeman through a joint effort. I'd like to see that teamwork/friendship aspect come back for the sequel. In fact, if you think back to my theory on Selph -- that he's a Dreamer's evil mirror image -- this approach could be very effective.

But only for the Dreamers. NiGHTS and Reala should be like Mario and Bowser. Like Sonic and Eggman. Like Inuyasha and Sesshomaru.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Agreed.

But what if they went that route with the Dreamers? You know, without the crappy writing and the worse music?

If you think back to the last few moments of the original game, a key part of the finale was how Claris and Eliot freed NiGHTS and defeated Wizeman through a joint effort. I'd like to see that teamwork/friendship aspect come back for the sequel. In fact, if you think back to my theory on Selph -- that he's a Dreamer's evil mirror image -- this approach could be very effective.

But only for the Dreamers. NiGHTS and Reala should be like Mario and Bowser. Like Sonic and Eggman. Like Inuyasha and Sesshomaru.

All of those people have worked together (Mario and Bowser in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga; Sonic and Eggman in pretty much every new Sonic game; Inuyasha and Sesshomaru in the third movie)

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Agreed.

For the dreamer thing I do agree. As long as I don't see super sayian stuff.

For the NiGHTS and Reala, I don't know but I guess it could work. It will take away from Reala looking like a bad guy just a tad though. That is how I feel about the Sonic and Eggman thing. Eggman is seeming to be less and less of a badguy now because they make him work with Sonic all the time. He is starting to seem more like a crazy genious who starts trouble...but then bits more than he can chew and wants out of it. I want Reala to be portrayed as a better villian than that.

Oh wait this is the Selph topic. About Selph...who knows. Maybe it will be another whole, "I am the true villian here" thing. Maybe not. I tend to always think of Selph as being something that means battling yourself or counterpart. Wait...that sounds a little like Reala. Hey! Reala's music had NiGHTS theme in it too. What if KnowThyself was optional music for Reala. Oh wait....now I get it. Thyself...HA...ok nevermind. I have been drinking too much vault.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Personally I've alway thought that Selph was suposed to be the counterpart for Reala as the last boss for... (man... I'm ashamed that I can't think of who fought Jackle...), ie Jackle was and extra boss who happened to be completely finished by Sonic Team before Selph.
Selph and Reala (Self and Reality) match each other much better than Jackle and Reala.
Jackle being the wild card as it was, would also fit with him being fought by either or both of the children...

As for this game... yar, I'd be interested in seeing this Selph character, but I wouldn't be too pushed if they completely omitted him either.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

As for this game... yar, I'd be interested in seeing this Selph character, but I wouldn't be too pushed if they completely omitted him either.

True. I wonder if they even remember. O.O

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

Hmm...I use to think (and still do, to some degree) that Selph was a Doppleganger that you have to/had to fight in the original concept. Then, they scrapped that because Reala was already in there (or Reala was inserted later). Still, I think Selph will appear in the new game (maybe in 2-player :) )!

Matthew29w12

Matthew29w12

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Games
    Sleep
    Food
    Friends
I always thought of Selph as in yourself, a U.V NiGHTS maybe x3 *Imagines*

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
If I can't play as Reala in 2-p mode, I'm gonna not get this game...then about an hour later be "OMG I NEED IT!" And run to Wal-Mart.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3

I always thought of Selph as in yourself, a U.V NiGHTS maybe x3 *Imagines*

That's what I was thinking too! XD Think of it: sure, Selph could be the anti-dreamer, and whoever our playable dreamers are have to overcome their own darkness to ultimately save the day.

But what about NiGHTS? After everything TRiPPY's written, one must remember the NiGHTS has his own story to tell. Should he be the one to face Selph, he may have to face his dark Maren side once again. It's a crazy ideya, but thinking of the chance that TRiPPY's designs might've been floating through Sega..!

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
I've no idea what I'd think about that....

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs

I know TRiPPY put in her audio section that Know Thyself is the deleted boss battle music, but I am unaware of where she got that info from. Where does it say that? It doesn't look like it is said on the CD cover thing. Did she translate something? I would really like to know.

I'm pretty sure she found out through Sonic-CulT. Because I remember this one topic where they found the name, and I guess they found the music too.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
That is nice. Like it said "self" as in "Selph" its like the kids have to overcome their own nightmares, but without NiGHTS. Like NiGHTS is with reala duking it out and the kids....have to fight their inner darkness selves...alone.....

*crappy emo theme*

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cosplay, linguistics, music, art, baking, cooking, sciences
Ohgod, please no. xD SEGA, if you make NiGHTS emo, I will hunt you down. D:!

The concept of NiGHTS and Reala setting aside their differences... is a little hard to believe, though. In theory, Reala is the realistic, cynical side of dreaming and NiGHTS the fantastical and impossible. To blend, in essence, reality and fantasy...? I'm not sure how that'd work. o.o

But back on topic! Selph. Y'know, I don't even know where the knowledge of him came from. XD I'm going to assume it was somewhere in the Japanese setup (read: box, information, something, or just by guessing from the music). Though SEGA cutting him from the game for lack of time is plausible, it's also possible that they just... couldn't think of a design for him, seeing as we have nothing of the sort to look at. o_o ...And I don't know why I keep getting an image of a light teal/aqua coloured humaren when I think of Selph. o____o;;;

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Ohgod, please no. xD SEGA, if you make NiGHTS emo, I will hunt you down. D:!

The concept of NiGHTS and Reala setting aside their differences... is a little hard to believe, though. In theory, Reala is the realistic, cynical side of dreaming and NiGHTS the fantastical and impossible. To blend, in essence, reality and fantasy...? I'm not sure how that'd work. o.o

I wasn't aware that dreams had a "realistic, cynical side."

That is nice. Like it said "self" as in "Selph" its like the kids have to overcome their own nightmares, but without NiGHTS. Like NiGHTS is with reala duking it out and the kids....have to fight their inner darkness selves...alone.....

*crappy emo theme*

No, no. I like the idea of the Dreamers finding courage to deal with their real-life fears, as they did in the original game, and I like the idea of the Dreamers flying solo to save NiGHTS as they also did in NiD. But the Dreamers fighting on their own? Nuh-uh.

They never had to take on enemies in Twin Seeds. They couldn't even paraloop, for crying out loud! There's no way they could stand on their own against Nightmaren. The only way they might be able to defeat Nightmaren is through positive thinking, and that's a terrible cliche for the writers to resort to.

Here's a thought: What if Selph is actually two Nightmaren? One representing an anti-Claris and one representing an Anti-Elliot. So, this battle would actually be a two-on-one against NiGHTS. That would be an interesting challenge, no?

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

I wasn't aware that dreams had a "realistic, cynical side."

I suppose what I meant was the side more oriented toward the negative and that draws on reality more than on our desires and fantasies. It's... difficult to word, really. Does that make any more sense? (I'm also drawing on the fact that his name sounds very similar to "real" and "reality")

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
I think I know what you mean, Ten. NiGHTS can be seen as something bright, cheerful, graceful...something from the Imagination where you can do as you please. Reala on the other hand is dark, gives out a more brutal feeling with his appearance wich could be related to the harshness of Reality and the fear it brings in some people.

..I'm rambling. .__.

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
::sits on the Ica:: Rambling is good. XD But yes, that's about the sum of it.

Reala also has a checkerboard pattern in his throne room. Keys here being checkerboard (patterened, specific, tactical) and throne (ruling, tyranny, monarchy).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users