Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Variety of Lucidity

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Lets talk Lucid Dreaming.

There's the obvious kind one sees in movies and in general information. One realizes that one is dreaming, then can disrupt the dream in any way they see fit. The dream's rules shatter and the dreamer has a jolly old time.

It's the only kind I've ever *heard* about. On the other hand, I've experienced other types that do not fit the usual definition. Therefore, I'm simply curious to see if anyone else ever had these scenarios or others?

Momentary Lucidity: A sudden flash or break in the dream, insertion of one's own thoughts or actions. Unlike the true definition of lucid dreaming, this lasts a fleeting time, whereupon the dream takes back over. This happened to me because I have re-occurring 'characters' in my dreams, ones I come to think of as dream sprites or whatnot. One always has bright green hair regardless of the dream--so in one dream, I basically said 'halt,' looked around the room (a dirty hotel room that for some reason had an arcade) and noticed my dream spirit there. I remember it so clearly as being an ooc moment in the story, where I recognized myself as dreaming, but it didn't last.

Trick Lucidity: You think you're awake. This tends to happen during the early morning, or when I'm extremely exhausted or confused. Example here: I keep falling asleep behind the counter of Gamestop, because I am forced to arrive an hour early for work. Then I have dreams that I would swear are not dreams, where I make decisions as I normally would (but then I wake up) u.u Such as: I dreamed that I left the door unlocked and the UPS man came in because he wanted to use the bathroom. I was damned convinced.

What? Reality is a library? Lucidity as bg information: In your dream, you have conversations or read about reality, quite recognizing it as reality and that you are in a dream world. However, you can't really do anything about it. It has only half the value of lucid dreaming (the realization) without the control. My example is a re-occurring dream of an enormous library, part of which houses portals into the real world. You can also use it to hop from dream to dream, but that's beside the point.

Fooled You; Fake Lucidity: Where you THINK you've started to lucid dream, but the dream pops you one to prove otherwise. For instance, I have constant nightmares about tidal waves. The scenario to each is too damned similar. People want to go to the beach in horrible, unearthly weather that simply isn't possible and .. tada.. tidal waves appear. So the dream started normally.. and I became lucid. I realized what was going to happen and tried convincing the other people of it. So I asserted my lucidity and ran down the beach, trying to get away.. and GUESS WHAT. u.u no tidal wave showed up, and I looked the fool in front of my dream friends.

Okay that's all I can think of. This stuff happens to me far more often than the accepted definition, but I may just be off my rocker. Any similar experiences?

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I have had lucid experiences quite like these, and they are actually quite common, so theres nothing wrong with you lol. Actually, just recently I have experienced what you call Trick Lucidity. Like you state its when you think your awake, or you have a series of FA's (False Awakenings) And I literally kept on thinking I would wake because I woke from bed on countless occasions but something kept on interfering with the dream, most likely me getting to excited or frightened that I lose the lucidity. I actually have that particular dream recorded in my livejournal that I used for a dream diary before this place (unfortunately it was the ONLY submission, I clearly couldn't get in the habit of using it lol.)

My very first Lucid dream was Momentary, It was not self induced at all, it just happened, and it was the best one ever lol.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
My younger sister has had dreams of momentary lucidity, just as you said - she met someone, chatted the entire night away, until the other person said to her, "Well, I guess you're gonna wake up now, huh?" o.o; If she ever becomes a member on these forums, I'll let her tell the story!

In any case, it's fascinating to hear about all these varieties of dreaming! I can't name any time I've experienced something like that myself.. except when I believed I was NiGHTS, and I could feel the air as I flew, the disorientation when trying to paraloop, and so on. I think that's the closest I've ever been. Which category would that fall under then, if any at all? XD; I would LOVE to have a truly lucid dream someday!

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Yeah, that's what I meant. As opposed to the usual idea where one controls the entire dream from the first moment of lucidity. I find dreams to be quite powerful entities with 'minds of their own' so to speak. I sometimes think the system does not like interference ^_^

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
I've had kind-off momentarily lucidity... only I didn't think "Oh, I'm dreaming". Instead I decided to do something completely different from what's expected from me. I.e. in one dream I'm flying backwards away from a stage, and I protest and say "Stop! I want to go back!" I got back but everything faded out, it felt like something pulled me back and I woke up.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Is it Fake Lucidity if you know you are dreaming, try to manipulate the world around you, and then a bunch of weird things you didn't want to happen ends up happening an making the dream even worse than before?

Thats the kind I get...

`Cow Demon

`Cow Demon

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hee hee, I get trick lucidity often. Usually when I'm asleep, and it's not the time to be sleeping XD

Otherwise, I quite often have dreams with normal lucidity. IT'S FUN BECUASE I GET TO DO ANYTHING I WANT.

My favorite lucid dream what when I was about 4. I was in school and there was a giant tank of water, and I made evryone into mermaids so we could breath underwater XDDDDD

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
For most times I only experience semi-lucidity. I know it's a dream throughout the entire thing, and I can (with a lot of effort) make certain things happen. For example, I can control my own movements to a certain degree but far from fully. Mostly I can face another direction or dodge a blow or things like that, but everything reacts a lot slower than it would normally. I can also control the surroundings at times, but mostly the dream is in charge.

A question though... as I remember it I had very vivid lucid dreams when I was younger, but after I hit puberty I can't remember a single one where I had total control.
Does anyone recognize that? Is it perhaps easier to enter a lucid state naturally when you're young?

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
I've experienced one or two things that might be connected to lucidity, but nothing like full on lucidity.

One, was where I was experiencing the dream, and a quick realization struck me that I had dreamt this before (which I had, incidently, it wasn't a false thought), and I knew exactly what was going to happen for the duration of the dream.
However, I wasn't concious that I was dreaming, merely thinking that I had dreamt this before, and could predict the future. And so the dream carried out as was set down.

The other, was when I dreamt while I was dreaming. I had a dream where I was falling asleep in a boring period of Modern Studies. I could feel myself slipping away, and fell asleep, only to experience another dream, totally unrelated to the events of before. And then I woke up, to find myself in my Modern Studies class again, with everyone staring at me and laughing, and I knew that I had fallen asleep and dreamt.
And then I woke up again : P

Wierd.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

For most times I only experience semi-lucidity. I know it's a dream throughout the entire thing, and I can (with a lot of effort) make certain things happen. For example, I can control my own movements to a certain degree but far from fully. Mostly I can face another direction or dodge a blow or things like that, but everything reacts a lot slower than it would normally. I can also control the surroundings at times, but mostly the dream is in charge.

A question though... as I remember it I had very vivid lucid dreams when I was younger, but after I hit puberty I can't remember a single one where I had total control.
Does anyone recognize that? Is it perhaps easier to enter a lucid state naturally when you're young?

I know how that is. When lucid I can move slightly. But I think I am trying to move my physical body so the movements are slow and limited. Also I did once get short time control of changing the enviornment. I wanted Spring Valley or Twin Seeds. I tried really hard and I saw if for a very short time. But then it zoomed out and showed my paradise in a snowglobe being held by Batman, and then the dream shifted back to wear the nightmare left off.... D: NOOOO!

As for the younger thing. I never had good control of mine when I was young. Every dream involved falling endlessly, or me getting chased by the cartoon bull from Loony Toons. Lets face it. I suck! :) Hope yours get better though.

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I've never been able to choose a particular setting: NiGHTS or whatnot, except if I am already middream. Sometimes I can use my limited lucidity to slid into the setting (that library type one) or more often, characters from other places show up in settings they shouldn't be in.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
*Siiiiiiiigh*

I remember I was writing a nice list for the dream forum on the old forums when I used to moderate it. I'll have to see if I still have that on this PC.

If not I'll get a list of the real terms etc up pretty soon. I'm kind of anal about this stuff see.

Lunar

Lunar

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I believe I've had that Lucidity where you know you're in a dream but can't quite do anything about it. I actually had it a few weeks ago. I realized I was in a dream. I mean I knew it for a fact. I looked at a clock, then away, then back, and the clock wasn't there anymore. And I'm all "Hmm. This is a dream." I also pinched myself but felt pain, and so ignored that. So I began walking, I was in my school, and everything began getting all warped and I'm like wondering what's going on and I decide this is getting a little to weird, and wake up. It's a bit hazy because though it was perfectly clear for a few weeks I have terrible memory. I just do.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..

If not I'll get a list of the real terms etc up pretty soon. I'm kind of anal about this stuff see.

She's at work right now, but I'll bet she'd like that. :P She likes learning about these things. I don't think she knows much about all that stuff you wrote. I don't remember if she was part of that thread you had up back the day.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Also, it seems a lot of people are having/want NiGHTS experiences with their lucid dreaming.. Is there anyone that had any not having to do with NiGHTS?

Metra

Metra

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Getting MAD DRAWING SKILLZ, making friends, writing, drawing, NiGHTS, old games, dreaming, using &quot;Etc etc etc&quot;s in the end of phrases, etc etc etc.

Also, it seems a lot of people are having/want NiGHTS experiences with their lucid dreaming.. Is there anyone that had any not having to do with NiGHTS?

A lucid dream that's not about NiGHTS? I had one today, but I only had one or two crucial moments of lucidity, that I wasted the worst way possible ("BEAT ME!!1"). The dream is in my dream-diary.

MYSTiCCOOKiE

MYSTiCCOOKiE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Costumes, sewing and petsites ^^
I don't think that I can lucid dream properly but from what you describe here, I've had similar experiences.

Often while I'm dreaming I'll realize that it's a dream and either wake up or continue dreaming until I become unaware of it again.
I also get the feeling of Deja-vu in dreams that Jof described where I'm basically just dreaming a repeat of a dream I've had before...
Also on some instances I've been able to slightly control my dreams like thinking I want to fly or float somewhere and it happens. This always tends to be really exxhausting though and I really have to concentrate to actually do it.

I"ve never had a NiGHTS 'experience'...I merely saw him in my dream the first time the other night giving Astrima a hug at a busstop ^^" Thats the only time I've ever seen him...and he was taller than I expected!

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

I had one. I was trying to think of NiGHTS but nothing NiGHTS related ever came. It is in my dream diary under, "When Lucid Dreaming Goes Bad." It was the first time I ever tried lucid dreaming too. I ended up making my head hurt and making the situation scarier.

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
Its weird..for me I rarely think, 'this is a dream' or consciously acknowlege it, but I can manipulate my dreams pretty good anyways. Not total control, but I can fly, go invisible, etc. Every once in a while I can actually make the dream freeze, but that takes so much willpower I wake up soon after. So I guess I'm more of a semi lucid type.

And I rarely see NiGHTS in my dreams, only once or twice I think, and both times I was like, 'Hey, its NiGHTS! Sup?'

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

*Siiiiiiiigh*

I remember I was writing a nice list for the dream forum on the old forums when I used to moderate it. I'll have to see if I still have that on this PC.

Well, no need to be xD It's not a scientific explanation, merely a set of random made up on the spot terms to qualify my experiences. It seems a few others have had them, so I'm not quite as batty in the attic as I thought. Feel free to put up whatever topics. It's a new forum, after all, we have to fill it.

Also, it seems quite a lot of people here have crazy lucid dreams. I almost think I wouldn't want them.. mine are so complex and odd world that an intrusion hurts them more often than not.. I think of it as going into a novel or movie and mucking about. Of course not everyone has novel-ish dreams 80% of the time.

Misaki-chan

Misaki-chan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Fashion design, art, music, shoujo anime/manga, a couple of video games, and maybe acting or modeling
I can definitely relate to a lot of those you listed, Loren. The "momentary lucidity" happens to me all the time. In fact, the only one out of that list that I've never experienced myself is the "fake lucidity".

I can think of one specific example of the "trick lucidity", though. One day (a couple of years ago), I actually heard my alarm, got up out of bed, took a shower, got ready for school, and went through all of my classes until the end of lunch break. Then I woke up, and I was late for school. Which meant that not only did I have to rush through my morning routine and skip breakfast, but I also had to walk because Mom had already gone to work. :D

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
I usually have "Trick Lucidity". It always involves me looking at my alarm clock before going to school.

Damn alarm clock...

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
I had a very strange trick-lucidity type dream when I was enrolled in one of my various mathematical courses at school. It started at something like 8 in the morning on a Friday (total bummer with the routine I had that semester, too. Had a a nighttime course the day before and I never got home before 10:30, and was up until at least 12)... but I'd usually come back and sleep during Golden Girls and The Nanny on my TV (lol.. it was all that was ever on at that time).

Well.. one morning, I dreamt that I was in and out of napping while watching TV, and my dad came home. I got up and said hi, while he shuffled through a few papers before he had to go see a patient (he would sometimes stop home in between visits). I laid back down and he left not too long after that. When I actually woke up, I had to go outside to see whether or not his car was there. I spent at least an hour trying to figure out whether or not it all happened.

Not too long ago, I made it a point to go to bed thinking, "I will find NiGHTS in my dream tonight." It was semi-lucid, where I was in control of myself but not so much the surroundings. Eventually, I did find NiGHTS, but he didn't say much of anything. It was at an ice skating rink full of walls and mirrors and poles. We merged, and started dancing.. we started spinning around really fast. The sensation caught me off guard, so I grabbed onto one of the poles to not lose control.. but my hand ended up getting burnt from the friction of spinning around so fast. We separated a while afterward and I woke up after that. Yeah.. first thing I did when I woke up was look at my hand.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music

I never in my life have encountered NiGHTS himself, nor did I try to have him come (Sept for once but I don't know if it counts or not.) Usually if NiGHTS is incorporated with my dreams it is in the form of just mentioning him or some kind of merchandise based off of him, for 2 weeks though every night there was at least a mention of him. And some of the encounters are stated in my old Dream Diary I am having TRiPPY recover, I think. Its funny you asked that too Purg because I was actually thinking of making a thread about if people have encountered him or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users