Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which game did you like better NID or NJOD?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

mattdude

mattdude

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just wanted to know from people that have played NId and NJOD which one did you like better?

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
well I only ever played the first level of NiD so I would have to say I liked JoD better!

Mattvideo

Mattvideo

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Well, Gaming is my top interest! I've been gaming since i was 3. If you want a match in MKDS, Pokemon, Metroid, Wii, NDS, X360 or want to challenge me to do something in a non Wifi game (NiGHTS Score challenge, Mario Speedrun, etc.)... Go fo it! I'm always up for a game! :D<br /><br />Next is Photoshop, I've been messing with Photoshop for almost a year and a half already. I like to make stuff out of renders, pictures, videos. A challenge peaks my interest! :)
Having played both of the games fully, i like each one differently cause of each of their points. NiD had it's strong points in the scoring system and the arcade style gameplay. Excellent for score attacks (pulling near 400K on Eliot's first dream, Splash Garden.) NJoD had the missions and the different types of gameplay insted of the same flight and retrieve. Albeit the missions may be short, it still has its appeal. :)

TO answer the question, i like both of them equally! :(

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
Hard to say... they both had their moments... So I am going to say I like them equally.

nirniva

nirniva

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
I also not played the original, but I've been enjoying JoD enough to consider finding a Saturn on eBay someday.

Mythic

Mythic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy critters, comics and animation, retro things, videogames, the 80's
I like them equally, too. They're both awsome games.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
*pops out of lurking for a bit, tries to become more active*

I prefer into Dreams hands-down over Journey of Dreams. Both are excellent games for their respective systems and are a blast to play (and also pull some cool graphical tricks on each along the way), but JoD messed with the classic NiGHTS formula too much. I understand that developing the characters through the story so that gamers can connect with them is crucial in today's market, but that could've been handled with less emphasis on the kids' stages. What makes NiGHTS so spectacular are the flight stages, and I actually found myself getting bored and frustrated throughout the game because I just wanted to fly so badly. Is that too much to ask, Sega?

If both games were in such a close parallel that the only action stages were the flight stages, with the typical four-mare, four-ideya, 20-chips-to-the-capture gameplay (and we had a friggin round analog stick, not the 8-way Nintendo pad), I would probably prefer Journey of Dreams because it feels like it has more polish in its flight stages than into Dreams did. However, on the whole, +1 for into Dreams. Forever timeless.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
Well, I've only seen videos on Youtube of NiD, and I must say
Spoiler
is many times more cinematic than Twin Seeds, so I choose JoD.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Into Dreams is the better of the two. JoD is better than I ever could have hoped, but it doesn't quite match the Saturn classic. The mission gameplay isn't quite as fun as the score attack style in the original and some of the missions are just plain not fun. JoD is still really good though.

Uhobi

Uhobi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:games, fantasy books, music, oddities
I've never played NID but I figure any game good enough to keep the fans loyal for 11 years has to be on a far greater scale than JOD. Then again I can't really say for sure...so I have to remain undecided.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I knew from the start that JoD wouldn't 'replace' NiD as it were. It's like this- JoD is like a robotic puppy that does your homework and folds your socks, and NiD is good ol' Rover, ragged around the edges but will never let you down.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
I really like both games. Honestly though, I prefer the greater variety and design of NiGHTS JOD.
The original is one of the greatest games ever made, and I love it to death, but I really feel that NJOD eclipsed it.

Central Dogma

Central Dogma

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Truly playing both it only feels that they have a continuous contrast towards each other.
If you play the games you will see the obvious differences both offer.

The question... which one do I like...
Both equally, at least somewhat (Leans slightly to NiGHTS into Dreams.) They both represent their differences and play slightly different in their own aspects and I feel it is difficult to compare them when the two are rather different however, NiGHTS into Dreams has that game play that most game developers today would never dare gamble on. While NiGHTS journey of Dreams feels more like the kind of Action/adventure/RPG/point and click game play developers would do. Add a little bit of this and that to appeal to everyone instead of just the specific crowd.

RedTail

RedTail

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
NiD definitely. JoD doesn't even come close. As many others complained, the classic flying missions are very much lacking. This is mostly due the limitation of only 3 Mares per mission and the fact that you can't run through a Mare again without it hurting your score and blue chips don't regenerate so kiss your links goodbye.

And speaking of scoring, there are a lot of places in JoD where it's simply impossible to build large links because of ring and blue chip placement. The paraloop trick that drags blue chips along with you won't even help. X2 scoring is gone too. Trick ribbons are gone so arial acrobatics are pointless even though you can still mess around with the L/R triggers.

In-mission A-Life has been neglected as well. I miss the music changes. I don't like how fast Pians die. They don't have time to do anything. If you create Mepians within the mission, don't expect them to be there very long. No castle-building apparently either. Everything has pretty much been moved to My Dream which has a plethora of it's own problems as well.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
NiD is better to me. I am sorry, JOD is nice and all, but it just doesn't have the same amount of wonder and bliss that NiD had.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

NiD definitely. JoD doesn't even come close. As many others complained, the classic flying missions are very much lacking. This is mostly due the limitation of only 3 Mares per mission and the fact that you can't run through a Mare again without it hurting your score and blue chips don't regenerate so kiss your links goodbye.

And speaking of scoring, there are a lot of places in JoD where it's simply impossible to build large links because of ring and blue chip placement. The paraloop trick that drags blue chips along with you won't even help. X2 scoring is gone too. Trick ribbons are gone so arial acrobatics are pointless even though you can still mess around with the L/R triggers.

In-mission A-Life has been neglected as well. I miss the music changes. I don't like how fast Pians die. They don't have time to do anything. If you create Mepians within the mission, don't expect them to be there very long. No castle-building apparently either. Everything has pretty much been moved to My Dream which has a plethora of it's own problems as well.

Remember though, you keep Pians alive by feeding them chips. But they can still disappear on you if you don't visit My Dream for even a little while..

RedTail

RedTail

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Remember though, you keep Pians alive by feeding them chips. But they can still disappear on you if you don't visit My Dream for even a little while..

I'm fully aware of this, but I'm talking about within the chase missions themselves. You don't have access to 3/4 of the Pians on those levels anyway because you're not allowed to explore most of the map on foot. Even if you were able too, it would still be a pain to feed them all. The way things worked in My Dream and in the missions themselves should've been different so Pians lived longer.

My Dream itself though is pretty annoying in that you can only play two missions before your Pians start passing out.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~

I knew from the start that JoD wouldn't 'replace' NiD as it were. It's like this- JoD is like a robotic puppy that does your homework and folds your socks, and NiD is good ol' Rover, ragged around the edges but will never let you down.

Well, that's an interesting way to put it, but effective nonetheless.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

I'm fully aware of this, but I'm talking about within the chase missions themselves. You don't have access to 3/4 of the Pians on those levels anyway because you're not allowed to explore most of the map on foot. Even if you were able too, it would still be a pain to feed them all. The way things worked in My Dream and in the missions themselves should've been different so Pians lived longer.

My Dream itself though is pretty annoying in that you can only play two missions before your Pians start passing out.

Yeah, I don't really get the point of Pians passing out in the levels themselves.. there's no A-life effect anyway..

RedTail

RedTail

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Yeah, I don't really get the point of Pians passing out in the levels themselves.. there's no A-life effect anyway..

The biggest problem with the way they have it set up now is that you have a hard time creating Mepians sometimes because you'll run through the level and every single damn Pian is passed out and won't reset itself until you complete the level and play it again. Restarting the mission changes nothing.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Wow, that's too bad. I haven't play JOD yet (it'll be a while before I buy a Wii) so I can't comment on which one I like better, but it's kind of disappointing that so many of the things that made NiD fun and addicting are missing. I can't stop playing NiD because of the in-depth scoring system, and it sounds like a lot strategy (multiple laps, trick ribbons, x2 scoring) has been removed from JOD.

I'll still definitely buy it, but maybe my hopes won't be as high, or at least I will just have to accept the fact that it's a different gameplay experience.

Thanks for posting the differences...I've been looking for these kind of comments.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
I guess Im a bit in disagreement since I always felt the mares were too short. It was definitely like a race but at times it could get frustrating if your timing sucked. With the new game, in link challenges you can still rack up mad links and stuff. Not that I ever will be able to.
I also found the original game a bit limited without additional gameplay things. Not saying the on foot missions are very good but the other htings, like rescuing pians, the bubble stage, the sky concert...these things are BRILLIANT and add to the formula. Neither game is perfect, but combined, both games offer an incredible experience I wont ever forget. And I have to say NiGHTS JOD NAILED Bellbridge. That is such an amazing level.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
I prefer JOD (Probably cause I got all A's and all Dream Drops last week).

nirniva

nirniva

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Not saying the on foot missions are very good but the other htings, like rescuing pians, the bubble stage, the sky concert...these things are BRILLIANT and add to the formula.

Wait...you're referring to the mission where you had to Paraloop Pians, right?
That level drove me INSANE.

However, the bubble mission was pure win.

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I think right now I actually slightly prefer JoD for its updated graphics and more variety in its play modes. NiD is still awesome for being the first game, but JoD's graphics are so nice *x*

JoD definitely has its flaws, but I think it's a great, faithful return to NiGHTS.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Wait...you're referring to the mission where you had to Paraloop Pians, right?
That level drove me INSANE.

It drove me out of my skull. They kept flying up too high, too quick!

Wizeman1213

Wizeman1213

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:NiD, NiD, and more NiD
JOD was way more informative about the plot. However, it's hard to beat the original due to the fact that we based our judgements on JOD by comparing to the original. To sum it all up, I think both were equally strong.

MKTRanma

MKTRanma

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Pokemon, Megaman, Yugioh, Sonic, Ranma 1/2, Tsubasa Chronicle, Ouran High School Host Club, Drawing, Photoshop
You know, I hear the words "Classic NiGHTS Forumla" way too much. The only way you can have a classic formula is if it had several games with the same formula, and then mess with it. NiGHTS only has had one game and the formula hasn't changed one bit, they just added some levels, etc, etc. It's like saying Zelda 2: Link's Adventure is messing with the classic formula too much when it was only the second game.

The words "classic formula" are totally void when speaking about this game.

Lots of games with 2 in it are different...just be glad it's not Castlevania 2.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Just be glad it's not yet another freakin' Mario Party.

MagicalWingLT

MagicalWingLT

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Well lets see... You must know that I love NiGHTS cuz why else would I be here? lol I became a NiGHTS fan 2 and a half months ago... I knew about the original NiGHTS Into Dreams game back in 1996 but wasn't able to play it since I didn't have a Sega Saturn... So now I bought one and then bought the game... Well I just love the game... So that's my little story lol...<br /><br />Now as for my other interests, I love Anime... Especially the Transformers series and such... I also love to play video games such as Sonic The Hedgehog... But you already knew this cuz I love playing NiGHTS lol<br /><br />I also like to draw and doodle... Although I haven't drawn as much recently... Maybe I'll draw something now... A NiGHTS picture perhaps? hehe<br /><br />Well that's all my interests :)
I actually like NJOD more... Why? Because it has a storyline... And a nice one too... With NID you had to guess what was happening...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users