Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS' Gender

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Sweep

Sweep

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:drawing, archery, writing, anime, manga, running, swimming, daydreaming, yaoi, religion, biking, INTERNET
I'm still stuck and in firm belief that NiGHTS has no specific gender.

SO I had hoped that Sega would try harder to not keep to any gender with the awful pronouns 'he' or 'she'. They failed me in a couple ways.

Kinda spoiler... I guess o-o;
Spoiler

So, as a girl, I find it a tad annoying that they had to use the 'default gender', Male, on NiGHTS all the time. Still, I could have dealt with it a little better if Reala hadn't shoved that comment in there.

What I'm really interested in is everyone else's reactions or thoughts. Apparently Sega's either decided NiGHTS' gender or just didn't feel like confusing the new fans.

Or both!

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
They call him "he" all over the place. I thought maybe Helen would say she here and there, but nobody did. That still doesn't mean that NiGHTS is a set gender, though, I think its just easier for some people to say "he". I wouldn't know why, but its my guess. The question of NiGHTS' gender has already been answered by Iizuka, and that was that he's whatever the person he encounters is more comfortable with. Or.. something along those lines. ^^;

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
Personally, I am firmly stuck in the belief that NiGHTS is male. I've heard very feminine-sounding men in my life. My best friend is gay and has his apartment decked out so rainbow-y that when you walk in you think you just slipped onto the set of a bad hippie movie. So basically, it doesn't matter how feminine NiGHTS sounds and acts, to me, he's still male. I always thought of him as male. I don't know why, but he's just a dude to me. He just screams "FLAMBOYANT JESTER OF JUSTICE" to me.

Kato

Kato

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Uh....Art. Drawing. Anime. Megaman. Kingdom Hearts. Disgaea. Battle Royale. Eden's Bowy. The Batman. Batman Beyond. Scorpions. City of Heroes/Villains.
NiGHTS is a girl stuck in a man's body. Or a man stuck in a girl's body.

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

They call him "he" all over the place. I thought maybe Helen would say she here and there, but nobody did. That still doesn't mean that NiGHTS is a set gender, though, I think its just easier for some people to say "he". I wouldn't know why, but its my guess.

It's "proper" To call someone without a gender a He. Addressing someone as an IT is very rude.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

It's "proper" To call someone without a gender a He. Addressing someone as an IT is very rude.

It is because of that reason I also think they wanted NiGHTS to not have a male sounding voice. We would have some problems if NiGHTS was called 'he' and sounded like one too....

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Yeah, I always hated "it". I say he, myself. But its just easier for me to say. I've never said "it".

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition
I agree with Maresuke's point. "He" is a lot more respectful; plus I think most non-gender beings are considered "male" in that respect simply because it's the less pronounced gender. I personally think a genderless creature would have to have many feminine qualities to be called a "she".

Plus NiGHTS has been considered a "he" for quite a long time by most of the fandom, so that may be a reason. Respecting the majority.

I also think the use of a male pronoun balances out NiGHTS' more female voice. Gives him more androgyny in that sense.

Uhobi

Uhobi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:games, fantasy books, music, oddities
well, also (from an in-game standpoint) don't forget that Will and Helen are like 12 or so.. they aren't going to sit there and think "hmmm? he/she/it i don't know" They're just going to use whatever comes to mind. As far as Reala, i think that was just the most obnoxious thing he could think of at the moment. Good boy is more how you would address a dog so I think it was meant to be an insult.

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I've always believed that Nights just didn't have a gender, though when talking about Nights indirectly, I usually say "he", if only for proper syntax.

I agree that giving Nights a definitive gender in-game wasn't the best move, and that they should have carefully danced around the wording to keep Nights unisex.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
I'm telling you guys, Flamboyant Jester of Justice....

No I'm kidding, but that's just my opinion. The Flamboyant Jester of Justice is just how I refer to him.

Murder's Last Crow

Murder's Last Crow

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
It is actually improper English to refer to someone by saying their or theirs if it's only one person. So, in most English text, you would replace it with he or his, even if there is no specific gender assigned. Ie. While referring to a range of new employees, you wouldn't say "The first one that comes in had better hope THEY'RE ready," you'd say, "...had better hope he's ready," by default, as the subtopic of this post says. It does not denote gender.

It has previously been noted as well that NiGHTS takes on the gender of the dreamer he/she is merged with, which could be further interpreted as whomever dreams of NiGHTS.

There have been far enough explanations of the androgyny that I think we can all just assume the Reala is trying to piss of the fandom on purpose, and his comments in no way reflect the personal opinions of SEGA.

Blue Fantasy

Blue Fantasy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, video games, comics, reading, writing, drawing, anime
It seems nobody's noticed, but Helen's story never once referred to NiGHTS by a gender. I think that the kids naturally took NiGHTS to be their own gender, so for Will to think NiGHTS is a boy isn't that big a deal. And, like said before, for Reala to say "good boy" like he's a dog is an insult.

Also, if you look in other languages besides English, male is the default gender for genderless things. For example, in Spanish, specific words have genders in the language (el gato vs la bicicleta), but anything without a gender as such would take the default "el" which is the masculine version of "it" or "the".

It's still pretty set that whatever fans are most comfortable with is what they can think of NiGHTS as. Notice Reala said "sibling" and not "brother"? How great to be NiGHTS, where both genders can find you sexy regardless of their sexual orientation. XD

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

It seems nobody's noticed, but Helen's story never once referred to NiGHTS by a gender.

I thought that it had at one point, but I don't remember. And I mean other than Will in the Crystal Castle. I'll play through it again, but I'd thought the same thing through most of her game and then I'd caught it. But I may just have it mixed up.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Whatever, man. NiGHTS is NiGHTS. Boy or girl, it doesn't change the fact that his pants are purple.

Blue Fantasy

Blue Fantasy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, video games, comics, reading, writing, drawing, anime

I thought that it had at one point, but I don't remember. And I mean other than Will in the Crystal Castle. I'll play through it again, but I'd thought the same thing through most of her game and then I'd caught it. But I may just have it mixed up.

I coulda missed it... I haven't watched the events since I beat the game. XP

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
Well, again, I don't think NiGHTS is a guy. I don't think NiGHTS is a girl. Saying he was better than saying it and I agree it was more respectful than "it". Yeah, NiGHTS is NiGHTS.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
NiGHTS...I don't know about her...

Anyway, Reala could have said "Yes, thats good..."
Will could have said: "My friend is in trouble and its all my fault"
The Owl SHOULD have just said NiGHTS instead of using "he" because the sentence would have stayed the same.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
He, She, It, or That,

NiGHTS is NiGHTS and Marens go splat.

Everyone, everywhere,

try to discern, try to care

But yet NiGHTS is not showing

What's really there.

Is he a boy?

Is she a girl?

Is it both or neither?

We're not sure!

But one thing is true

Our lovely Nightmaren

Is very genderless, and that's canon.

LadyTwinkle

LadyTwinkle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Designing, theatrical makeup, painting, costume creation, sewing, 80's animation, comic books, Traveling abroad. And of course NiGHTS!
Nights is a thing. An incarnation. But I think "He" is just a proper term. The voice is androgynous, the clothes are male style 18th c. inspired, but feminine colors, and "he" is all around an enigma. so I say male...others say female...

I bet if we stripped him nekkid he'd look like a stringy ken doll.

Wizeman1213

Wizeman1213

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:NiD, NiD, and more NiD
It's strange though. Why did they give Reala a male sounding voice AND call him a "he"? Wasn't Reala supposed to be androgynous as well?

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
But Reala has BULGING MUSCLES OF DOOM though...

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.

They call him "he" all over the place. I thought maybe Helen would say she here and there, but nobody did. That still doesn't mean that NiGHTS is a set gender, though, I think its just easier for some people to say "he". I wouldn't know why, but its my guess. The question of NiGHTS' gender has already been answered by Iizuka, and that was that he's whatever the person he encounters is more comfortable with. Or.. something along those lines. ^^;

Thank you for making that post, Purg. Now I don't have to. :D

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Let us not reopen this subject, which is as over-discussed as the issue of Tony's "issues" in Earthbound. It was settled long ago by the developer, and we all know the truth, cut scenes or not. I really do not find it that annoying, actually, except that the voice they gave to him was so female that it was just weird at some points, but never annoying.

Oh, well.

Wizeman1213

Wizeman1213

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:NiD, NiD, and more NiD

But Reala has BULGING MUSCLES OF DOOM though...

He never did in the original NiGHTS. Why now did they decide to make Reala more masculine?

NeTTOSAiTO

NeTTOSAiTO

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've always seen NiGHTS as a boy. but any way....

they call NiGHTS "he" because well..

"every one brought their books to class"

really that should be "everyone brought his books to class".

even if it is an all girl class you would still say "his" or "he" or "him" because what they are is unknown. and unknown = he. It's just the way things work in grammar.

He never did in the original NiGHTS. Why now did they decide to make Reala more masculine?

lol it's been 11 years. I'm sure your stronger than you were 11 years ago!

but also reala has changed in other ways. I dont have the first game but all the pics i have seen of him showed them having a white face. Now it is peach like NiGHTS'

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Did no one like my stupid poem?

Elias

Elias

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Did no one like my stupid poem?

It was a lovely stupid poem D:

Though O_O it makes me wonder more

ducksoup10

ducksoup10

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Reading, playing Wii games, going for a walk.
You know I don't get why NIGHTS has no gender. To me he/she seem sound like a girl, has anyone find that kinda odd? :P

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yes. Fascinatingly odd.

...oh, we're being serious? Ok.

No. I don't find it odd, i think Iizuka is a wanker for making this game have voice acting in it. Not because the voices were bad, thats not it. I actually like NiGHTS' voice. My beef is now everybody thinks NiGHTS is a girl and the only reason they say this is because the voice actor is female and they think this counts as solid fact, for some reason. That's it.

So, once again, for the ever growing amount of people questioning NiGHTS gender, read here - NiGHTS is whatever gender you want NiGHTS to be. That was the whole point of NiGHTS' design. Nobody can say that NiGHTS is a specific gender and prove it because ..well..there isn't any proof as the answer always falls down to what YOU see NiGHTS as, thus making it personal opinion, thus this topic never ending because the internet houses the greatest amounts of personal opinion.

I keep it easy, i just say NiGHTS is both and be done with it.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
I just go by,
Whenever I'm playing as Will, He's a Guy,
Whenever I'm playing as Helen, She's a Girl.

Whenever I see Reala in Will's story, He's a Guy,
Whenever I see Reala in Helen's story, She's a Girl.

Whenever I Fight Reala as Elliot, He's a Guy,
Whenever I Fight Reala as Claris, She's a Girl,
Etc.

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, gaming, making bad puns, making comics...I think that's it...gah, my childhood sucks...
Well, I suppose that SEGA just wanted to say something. I mean, imagine Reala saying, 'Heh heh, that's a good it.' Doesn't sound right to the human ear.

NiGHTS really has no gender, though he/she is whatever you want him/her to be. For example, someone might think NiGHTS is a guy all the time, someone else says NiGHTS is always a girl, someone says both, neither, boy when dualized with a boy, and so on.

I dunno, I suppose SEGA created an endless loop with NiGHTS...

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Let's let NiGHTS explain it for himself:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
I truly think this whole "gender confusion" thing is a waste of time. I mean, nearly everyone belonging to this site is a strong enough NiGHTS fan to understand this whole gender issue. So why keep bringing it up? I mean, I'm probably one of the minority for using feminine pronouns for NiGHTS, but the only reason is because at first, I thought NiGHTS was a girl, and it just stuck.
But seriously, guys. We all know that NiGHTS is genderless, so why keep bringing up this so-called "issue"?

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
I say we sticky this topic for the masses!!!

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
The answer to end this once and for all:

Proof!!!

Let NiGHTS' gender never be brought up again.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
I don't get it. Is it supposed to be contradicting?

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
No, tis a simple joke. A hilarious one which I can't believe I didn't notice before. XD

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
is NiGHTS a boy or a girl?

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

is NiGHTS a boy or a girl?

*smacks the living sh!t out of you*

have a nice day :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users