Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Finding JoD a pain in the arse to play with the Wii's analogue stick? Check this out!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

wocko

wocko

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Someone got fed up with playing JoD with Nintendo's rather stupid 8-way groove design with the analogue stick in the nunchuk/classic controller, so he modded it to be a smooth circular design like the Saturn!

WARNING! Be very careful with doing this mod because you might wreck your nunchuk/classic controller.

http://wii.qj.net/Wi...g/49/aid/110257

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Ahh, the good ol' dremel tool.

I haven't needed to try this, but I hear a washer or circular piece of cardboard taped around the stick works well too.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
My spare gamecube controller is getting this treatment tomorrow. End of story.

TehLazyOne

TehLazyOne

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:um... not quite sure... collecting nostalgia, NiGHTS, making sculptures... Cartoons.... um... Voice acting... painting models...
    and i'll work up on the rest later....
(scrambles to find tools...)

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
This is genious... I'm actually going to buy a new nunchuk to try this out with.... Now where's my dremel? :P

Tyson Toast

Tyson Toast

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Wouldn't you need a tri-wing screwdriver to do this? I mean, who actually has one of those?

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I got a jeweler's screwdriver, and the new one I just bought opened up just fine :lol:

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've been dealing with the stupid octagon, but I'm gonna try this too. Went with Kurosen earlier and picked up another Nunchuk for backup.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
So the octagon is that bad eh? I think I would go with apti's advice first though. Better safe then sorry of course.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
*rushes to try this on new Wii* Well, I have an extra Nunchuck just in case.... *curses juvenile arthritis and low blood pressure* 'Cause, you know.... I get all stiff and cold, so I'm shaky..... *Gives up and makes mom do it*

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
So I did the mod myself.... I left a couple of scuffs around the circle before I was done (I was excited to do the job and rushed it a bit), but they didn't affect the increased performance or smoothness in any way. Overall, the job came out great and took literally less than 4 minutes of using my dremel with circular grinding stone attachment and 600 grit sandpaper. Running the stick in circles now feels smooth as ice and it actually did improve my grades from D's and C's, to B's and mainly A's in the bird chase and octopaw levels :wacko:

I kid you not, the game feels just like the old Saturn days with this mod, and I'm very happy with the nunchuk configuration now. Thanks to wocko for the linkage :lol:

Posted Image

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Ah, so it is the controller after all. The game still has the same all-directional flight as the original, it's just that the octagonal groove around the analog stick restricts NiGHTS to eight directions.

So what to do? Should I wait until SEGA releases a controller attachment that replicates the Saturn's 3D control pad, or should I just mod the Nunchuk... or my WaveBird perhaps? Either way, I would like to see it in action.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
blarghen flarghen!
Posted Image

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Ah, so it is the controller after all. The game still has the same all-directional flight as the original, it's just that the octagonal groove around the analog stick restricts NiGHTS to eight directions.

So what to do? Should I wait until SEGA releases a controller attachment that replicates the Saturn's 3D control pad, or should I just mod the Nunchuk... or my WaveBird perhaps? Either way, I would like to see it in action.

If you have the proper tools, I recommend doing the mod on a newly purchased nunchuk as viperxmns and myself have done.... I haven't seen his work in person yet, but I'm willing to bet he's happy with the mod as well :(

wocko

wocko

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Well I thought you'd all be interested. I'm planning to do the same, but I might get my dad to mod it for me. He's got the dremel and the die grinder. :P

To IGN: Stiff controls???? It was Nintendo's stupid analogue stick design, damnit. After that mod was done, most people found it FELT like the Saturn original.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
right now Im using a half ass cardboard washer taped to the nunchuk, but Ill give this a try later.
I told you guys it wasnt the games fault :P

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
Hmm. Personally, I find the 8 way design all right, really. It's not that bad. I have mostly A scores....

Tyson Toast

Tyson Toast

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'll pay someone ten shiny British pound to do this to my nunchuck. I'll literally make sure the pounds a GLEAMING too.

nmr509

nmr509

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Has anyone done this with a gamecube controller?

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

I'll pay someone ten shiny British pound to do this to my nunchuck. I'll literally make sure the pounds a GLEAMING too.

What's the equivelent of that in US dollars? Because I'm ready to pay... but I don't live in the UK. No pounds here. I've got about 35 dollars on me....

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:I love anime and games! I collect manga more than I do anime 'cause it's cheaper, though, and cosplay from time to time. Hopefully I'll have a decent Jackle costume done in time for Nan Desu Kan this year XD. I also like yaoi, DDR, um...pandas...and yaoi. I don't like mainstream anime much though; most of it isn't very good anyway....
I played NiD on the original Saturn controller (hmm, maybe that's why I sucked n.n), but this sounds like it's totally worth facing the wrath of my sister to do. She owns the freakin' Wii. Ironic ^^;;;;;.

edit: Kuri refused to let me anywhere near the Wiimote, and I realized I don't have the tools to do the mod anyway ;) . So I did the cardboard thing instead. Doesn't look too pretty, but it plays great.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Yeah are any of you DiY folks willing to take commissions? I'm broke right now lol but it's something I'd like to do in the future.

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Hmmmm.... I could be interested in doing a commision or two.... Though 10 British pounds (that's about $20 USD, right?) for something so simple (granted, as long as you have the right tools) seems a bit excessive...

I think $10 USD (that's about 5 pounds) + whatever shipping costs are involved would be more than enough... The problem is that I live in New York, so if you're living overseas, it might cost a bit to have shipped both ways :/

I'd take much more time with other people's nunchuk's then my own, and make it look and feel as professional as possible ;)

I'll talk to viperxmns and see if he would be interested too.

EDIT: It might make more sense for overseas people to let us buy one here, mod it, and then ship it to you.... though I have no idea how much it costs to ship a nunchuk in the first place, or even if a US nunchuk would work with a non US wiimote :P

nmr509

nmr509

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm thinking of trying to make some sort of project box to use the original saturn analog controller on cube, it may be a little clunky...but it just might work. details to follow.

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I was thinking about a conversion unit myself on a breadboard and a PIC chip to handle the relays.... You'll have to decode the saturn controller's protocol into parallel output for the PIC chip to do the relaying....

I don't know anything about the gamecube's internal mapping which is why I didn't go any further with this myself. Good luck though! :blink:

EDIT: Someone did a conversion from saturn controller to xbox360--

http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry3546461

http://www.web-nine....at-2-360_V1.txt

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
I don't suppose anyone's made a youtube video yet?

Tamika

Tamika

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:I'm really into anime and video games, but my hobbies are arts and crafts.
I'm curious to try this myself, but I don't think I have the tools. How does the cardboard thing work?

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
I've done this but I don't have a good camera to show you.... GOD this computer sucks. *hits computer with tuna*

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
@Tangocat: If you mean modding the nunchuk, no not yet.... I guess I could mod my original one to make a video... Though I want to keep one of them 8-way for games that could utilize it. Maybe I could just dismantle the one I've already modded and make a video with that instead.

If you were talking about the saturn controller though--

@Dailight: You mean the nunchuk mod? Any pic is better than none.... even if it's a camera phone pic :(

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
The problem is I don't have the ability to upload photos onto my computer. Every time I do that, I have to use my mother's computer and email the images to myself, which takes FOREVER and then they come out all pixelated. So basically, the pic is so bad, it looks like I never modded the controller at all, but I DID, and it doesn't look like it because the pic is so pixellated and crappy.

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I guess you can give us a written recap on your modding adventure at least. :)

What tools did you use?

How did the job come out?

Any complications along the way? (viperxmns can tell you about those :) )

Stuff like that ;)

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

I guess you can give us a written recap on your modding adventure at least. :)

What tools did you use?

How did the job come out?

Any complications along the way? (viperxmns can tell you about those :) )

Stuff like that ;)

Ok, written decription. I used an eyeglass screwfdriver to take it apart, then used a dremel tool to mod it. I used very VERY VERY fine grit (like, a bajillion grit) sandpaper to smooth it out. I had a few complications, including I cracked the face of the nunchuck so now my nunchuck has a crack on the back of the faceplate (It was only, like, a scratch so it didn't break it or anything) and then for a little while it didn't work. I mean, the nunchuck itself broke. Not working. I was like AGH DAMN IT! But then I took it back apart, blew the forgotton dust off the insides, and put it back together and it works nice now. It's a little lop-sided but I get stiff and very cold when I'm working with power tools so it came out in sort of a lop-sided oval shape. It works pretty much the same though.

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
So... no notice in terms of better performance? :)

Both viperxmns and I noticed a big difference, so that would surprise me...

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
No, I meant it works pretty much the same as you and vipermxns described. Fan-freakin'-tastical! It's like the Saturn original! *licks Nunchuck, gets electrick shock* OW! Oh well, it's not as bad as the time I fell asleep on the beach with my mouth open and ended up getting a sunburn ON MY TONGUE. Yes, I've done this. T___T

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I went real slow with the dremel, using different attachments along the way. So I can proudly say I did not crack my nunchuk. Here's another picture of the top view (pardon the cell phone quality.. my camera needs batteries x..x)
Posted Image

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey viper, read up a bit in this thread. Are you interested in doing some commissions?

I think your craftsmenship would be better than mine..... :)

Pyrii

Pyrii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I did this myself lately and took some photos and went through the relevant equipment in a video which I plan on re-recording. But I did upload the playtest part. And I took photos

The main tips are for now:

Have 2 Nunchucks before attempting this Mod
Posted Image
If you screw up you can still play your Wii, and if you succeed, you may find that the octagonal hole will be handy for some games. It's worth having one modded and one not.

Get a Tr-Wing screwdriver
Posted Image
I got mine from eBay about a year ago for £5. I've heard people have used flatheads, but this just sounds scary to me, it's possible to ruin the screws this way and then never be able to get them out.

Get both a cone and ball shaped grinders
Posted Image
The cone is great for making a nice deep punch through hole, the ball is nice for cleaning up, or if you're not so skilled. The pair cost £1

Get the finest wet and dry you can buy
Posted Image
35p for a sheet for grade 600. Perfect for smoothing down after grinding to leave a smooth finish

And more images...

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users