Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your beginnings in NiGHTS fandom.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: What got you into NiGHTS? (91 member(s) have cast votes)

What got you into NiGHTS first?

1. Original game (includes opening day). (24 votes [16.78%])

Percentage of vote: 16.78%

2. Christmas NiGHTS. (6 votes [4.20%])

Percentage of vote: 4.20%

3. NiGHTS demo. (5 votes [3.50%])

Percentage of vote: 3.50%

4. NiGHTS music. (12 votes [8.39%])

Percentage of vote: 8.39%

5. NiGHTS fanart or fanfiction. (24 votes [16.78%])

Percentage of vote: 16.78%

6. NiGHTS cameos. (27 votes [18.88%])

Percentage of vote: 18.88%

7. SEGA info. on the web, whether offical or fan. (14 votes [9.79%])

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

8. NiGHTS : Journey of Dreams. (10 votes [6.99%])

Percentage of vote: 6.99%

9. Other (21 votes [14.69%])

Percentage of vote: 14.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Murder's Last Crow

Murder's Last Crow

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
I want to know what has gotten most of the NiGHTS community online into the game. I wonder how many players have visited the unofficial fansite, and how many fans have actually played the Saturn release.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
I voted fanart and fansites, cause it was TRiPPY's art on DA that led me to NiD.com, and from there, through hours of info reading, onto my now favourite game.

Murder's Last Crow

Murder's Last Crow

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
I'm scared at how many people I've found getting into it through Astrima's art. Given, her style and quality make it much less of a surprise. I think, if that begins to be more of the case throughout the life of this poll, SEGA might owe some of their earnings to her. XD

Trash Jack

Trash Jack

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
As I've said in my introduction, it was NiGHTS cameos that got me interested and Journey of Dreams that got me hooked.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Out of all those things, I got into this game through the music. I saw the original in play once back in 97 or 98 but I finally got to play anything even remotely NiGHTSish through Christmas NiGHTS. I liked the music so much I found myself humming it all the time.

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
Two words: NiGHTS. Pinball.
I played that SA pinball level till my eyes bled and I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHY. :P

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I got into the NiGHTS fandom through mangapunksai's artistic response to NiGHTS's voice (the one that sounds like Mary Poppins, if he doesn't sound like that anymore when he says that particular line).

Poly C:

Poly C:

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I get into NiGHTS by TRiP's art too ^^ but before that i saw some oficial images. All the purple, the colours, the fantasy...i just had to know more about it.
And here i am ^_^

Hime Blue

Hime Blue

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just...<br /><br />don't ask and it might be better for you. Might be better not to know...
I got into NiGHTS by fanart on DeviantArt four months ago or so. I credit MissyZero for getting me interested with her collection of NiGHTS icons.

Roam

Roam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Gaming, Music,
Music, fanwork, and Cameos.

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
Saw NiGHTS on Sega sometime and then I saw the comics in Archie and that kind of boosted me a little. A lot of my early fandom years was spent reading and looking at Alaer's artwork... wasn't till years later I realized Alaer is Reala backwards. lol So fandom, Sega, and Archie all helped me into the fandom.

DylanJohn

DylanJohn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It was the original game for me. Found it (along with some other games) with a Saturn at a garage sale when I was starting to collect Sega consoles three or four years ago.

Tsunami

Tsunami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Ecology, biology, wildlife studies, art (including sculpting, photography, illustration, and animation), video games
Original game back in '96 or '97 when my sister got a Saturn and went about buying games for it. She also brought home Christmas NiGHTS a year or two later, which was an added bonus. ;)

I wasn't really "into" NiGHTS until last fall when I started playing score-attack stuff for giggles. Then, when news about a sequel broke, I got excited and more involved in the fandom.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Demo for me! I shall be eternally grateful to Toys R Us - and my parents for letting me play it so long in the store. XD

I want to give credit for every option though. Each one has made me love NiGHTS even more!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I got into the game through seeing it at my friends house and then my cousin playing it. In terms of getting into an online fanbase, it was TRiPPY who had a community.

I'm scared at how many people I've found getting into it through Astrima's art. Given, her style and quality make it much less of a surprise.

Well, during the last 10 years when buying the game was rare, the only real way for people to take notice of NiGHTS was through the fans themselves, whether it was TRiPPY herself or not. I wouldn't say it would ruin the 'surprise' in any way. This is a fanbase, after all. What else was bound to happen over the last 10 years?

The way i see it, it doesn't really matter who you are, as long as you've been promoting NiGHTS over the years to help create the fanbase that it is today, it's all good. ;)

*moves topic to Poll Section*

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
Cameos and VERY little info.

Mythic

Mythic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy critters, comics and animation, retro things, videogames, the 80's
The Pinball thing on Sonic Adventure. Also fanart, I must admit. I tried to gather as much information on NiGHTS as I could on Deviant Art. Then I finally got a Saturn and the original game.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Ze originale game.

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition
I actually first encountered the game upon its original release-- I was only 6 years old then, but I vividly remember seeing that crazy purple Nightmaren on the store shelves. Dear heavens how I wanted that game. Unfortunately, my family absolutely forbade video games in the house until around 2001 or so, when I got a PS1.
I also honestly think NiGHTS is partly the reason why I've been a jester fanatic for so darn long! XD Never knew why, really.
Anyway...
So, after seeing NiGHTS back in 1996, I pretty much forgot about him until the release of Sonic Pinball for the GBA. My little brother secretly snagged it first, but one day I managed to catch a glimpse of it and recognized NiGHTS immediately. Needless to say, everything kind of spiralled on from there. XD

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
I owe my fandom to cameos. If not for sonic pinball party, I would not like NiGHTS...... I googled him on Wikipedia.... Bad idea, but it got me started. That's when I got into NiD.com

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
A mixture of an article in a Swedish gaming magazine, the music and fan fics.

Reina

Reina

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I got into NiGHTS due to the original release for Sega Saturn. I got the game and system for Christmas, upon playing the game I got really into it. It was 11 years ago, so I was 9 years old at the time. I've been a part of the fandom ever since. :3

d3vilcat

d3vilcat

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
First it was an add in the archies comics, talking about the comic got me interested. second was the first time I got the internet and start looking for anything NiDs. third NiGHTS pinball on the DC (I only played that game because of that XD ) and finally fourth; Trippy's art work. ALL HAIL THE GODDESSE :3

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
TRiPPY's artwork started my fandom. :3

C-Puff

C-Puff

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Cartoons and Animation, Movies, Terry Pratchett, RPGs, art books, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Invader Zim, art, books, SPECIFIC anime and Manga, food, sleep, etc.<br /><br />I'm currently studying to become a 2D animator at VanArts (Vancouver school for the media Arts)
My Friend clued me in on it, and showed me TRiPPY's art. Nuff sed 83

Uhobi

Uhobi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:games, fantasy books, music, oddities
randomly seeing a cameo or various piece of art somewhere over the years alerted me to the existence on Nights. But what really did it was I ran into a NiGHTS role-player in a livejournal community and I started reading up on him. Lost interest after resigning to the fact that i would probably never get to play the game. Then recently I bought a copy of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games and there was an ad for JOD inside. Got excited, and here I am...

captain boombatty

captain boombatty

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
i got into nights after seeing an advert/article in a magazine about xmas nights!! dont know why but it had a hypnotic effect on me. Iwanted to play it so bad! I love xmas and i love video games - this was the epitome of both. It took me about 10 years to finaly getting around to buying a saturn and copies of the original and xmas nights and in between that time I started lurking around Trippy's awesome site!! even after all this time - seeing a screenshot of xmas nights in a magazine makes me go 'funny'!!

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Been a fan from the beginning! I was just too poor to own it! ^^;

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I was actually introduced by *cough* the comic. I was, like... I don't know, maybe 12 or 13 years old.

*flees*

Wizeman1213

Wizeman1213

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:NiD, NiD, and more NiD
I got the game when I was very young, about 6 or 7, I believe. It was the only game that my siblings wanted to play with me.

Phantom Rin

Phantom Rin

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
What got me started was info about the game in a sonic fan site and the fact that it sounded like a cool game and there was also a Christmas edition. I remembered about it when saw my first cameo in Sonic Adventure. I forgot about the game 'cause I knew I wouldn't be able to get it. The news of a sequel though made me want to look into it and get it. I was able to get Christmas NiGHTS before for a penny but, have just recently figured how to work a Saturn emulator.

LittleBloodyFooFoo

LittleBloodyFooFoo

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was looking for Sonic music on a fansite and saw a section for NiGHTS into Dreams in the music section. I'd played the pinball game in Sonic Adventure DX and was curious about the game, so I looked into it. I -instantly- fell in love with the music. Soon I was searching for sites, images, ANYTHING NiGHTS related, which is how I found TRiPPY and the NiD.com.

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting
the articule on JOD in the june 2007 issue of Nintendo power. The storyline pulled me in, and I was only 3 when NiGHTS came out. so here I am.

mackerz

mackerz

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I was in a video rental store and saw the cover for the game and recognized the character from playing the first game years ago.

Plus I liked the cover. It's pretty. *^* (yes stupid I know XD;;;)

Haruka

Haruka

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Pokémon, Sonic, NiGHTS, Animé&amp;Manga, draws, cats, chocolate, plushes...
Original game(NiGHTS into dreams) and fanarts(Fanarts of Poly C:). In...November(Or December) of 2004 o_o.

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic the hedgehog, anime, manga, drawing, books, photoshop, j-pop and rock, reading and writing fanfiction, cooking and lots of other stuff....... ^_^
The original game, which I bought at the same time as my beloved Sega Saturn. (NiGHTS was the reason I bought a Saturn in the first place as I was intruiged by the idea of the game and by the beautiful character design of NiGHTS )

ENiGMA

ENiGMA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Im not really sure how I got that into it... I remember seeing references and cameo apperances in sonic. (Im a huge sonic fanboi) and decided to give the game a shot. Finding it and a Sega Saturn tends to work up a fandom for it...

Also what really set me in is an idea for a fan comic I been meaning to do, however Im not a good artist (Came to this site in hope to pick up tips, abit of a teaser is what I written on my signiture) and some of my ideas clash with JoD but I'll make it anyway.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
My cousin introduced me to the original game one August day in 2005. It was a life changing experience. o_0

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
The demo, which I THINK was included with my Saturn. My memory is a little spotty and I am unsure how I got it. NiGHTS was already out but I was a little late to the Saturn-owning club (1997 I think).

Anyway after playing the demo and being blown away I new that I had to own the game. (Previously only THINKING I SHOULD own the game). I picked up the version bundled with the "3D" control pad. I HAVE NO REGRETS!

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
The original game, the following Christmas and it was one of my presents along with the Saturn itself, I had the 3D controller pack. Most confusing Christmas ever before I held a Gamecube controller for the very first time XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users