Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Firefly/Serenity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Golden Charm

Golden Charm

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I watched Serenity again a few nights ago, and just felt compelled that I had to come talk at excessive length and with abnormal glee about it.

Here's how it is: (for those of you who don't know)

Joss Whedon, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel created the 'verse. Given the notion that humans overpopulated the Earth (or referred to as Earth-that-was), they travelled throughout the 'verse, terraforming dozens of planets and moons capable of sustaining human life. The 'verse has just seen the end of a war between the Alliance and the Independents, fighting over whether the planets should be governed by one major figure (funnily enough, the Alliance) or if each should be ruled independantly.
The Alliance has major control over the core planets, after winning the war, whereas the planets on the rim suffer from crime and poverty and a lot of the time govern themselves regardless.
The setting has been....er...set, now I must fill you in with the plot: Firefly follows the journeys of a spaceship named Serenity, which is a Firefly class vessel. Or more correctly, it follows the crew. The Captain Mal Reynolds fought on the side of the Independents, and is hellbent in not following the ways of the Alliance wherever possible. Zoe, the 'first mate' as it were, kind of a warrior woman. Wash, the witty charismatic pilot. Jayne, is male, a crude, mercenary-of-sorts. Kaylee, the cheery mechanic. Inara, the companion, which is a respectable and nice way of saying she's a...er, companion, for hire, catch my drift?
....and their passengers, Simon, the formerly respectable doctor who threw his life away to rescue his sister River, who are both now wanted by the Alliance. Obviously, River, a teenager genius, who is...lets leave it as 'unhinged'. Then there's Sheperd Book, the man of God with a somewhat cloudy past.
The show was a witty, hilarious, inspiring sci-fi with a difference. Where half the planets had futuristic cityscapes with the standard flying cars, but the other half, where most of the series is based, seems to be set in a wild west theme, seemingly not the future at all, but the past.....were it not for the spaceships and lasers. Yet, unlike most sci-fi shows, there is a distinct lack of an alien presence.
The crew scrapes by on whatever work it can find, legality not mandatory, getting enough at times to barely just eat and keeping afloat by only Kaylee's engineering skills and Wash's flying.
Of course, theres always an added mystery about everything, such as River's psychotic rambling.
The thing which makes me appreciate it the most of Joss Whedon's work (I wasn't really much of a fan of Buffy, nor Angel) was that it wasn't all about 1 person, it was a fully thought out, seemingly functioning (though not very well out on the outskirts) universe. Part of what made it unique, was that all the swearing was in chinese, making it watchable by virtually anyone...except I guess by young Chinese people.

The biggest mystery about the series, though, is why FOX axed it after just one series...though such a large fanbase drew from it and refuseed to let it die there, which led the the eventual Serenity movie. (Fans shouting out and actually being heard....remind you of anything?), it also spawned a comic mini-series named 'Those Left Behind' by Dark Horse, and there are at least two more in the works, mentioned recently.

I've left out all of the spoilers, for those who may want to go watch it now, if they haven't already.
Otherwise, anyone else a fan of the Firefly?

EDiT:
Anything I didn't mention is pretty much covered by Monophobe's post below :D (Nice of you to fill in the gaps)

Monophobe

Monophobe

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Another recommendation from me for anyone who has no idea what Golden Charm is on about. Go and watch all the Firefly and then Serenity right now!

It's sooooo good. If not for the wonderful characters, the solid universie, the small touches (such as space ships flying silently through space instead of with "whoosh" noises), the style, and all the other aceness - then watch it purely for Kaylee and her smile. Utter beauty (and a kinky lil minx to boot).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users