Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wii-mote control

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
We know that NiGHTS: JoD will have two control schemes: With and without the Nunchuck. How do you think these control schemes will work?

With the Wii-mote alone, will the controller be held remote-style or sideways? When the nunchuck is attached, what will the pointer do, if anything? And what will all those buttons do?

Talk amongst yourselves.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
traditional is pretty easy to predict:

nunchuk analog for steering NiGHTS, C and Z for aerial tricks/directional turns and in the other hand, the wiimote A + B for tricks/dashing. not sure what the directional pad could do.

wiimote only is harder to predict.

I guess it depends on what viewpoint we have of NiGHTS. Im honestly having a bit of trouble imagining how the wiimote could work with the traditional side scrolling aspect. It seems a bit weird and I wonder if it wont be a lot more rear 3/4 view or something strange. This is admittedly the thing Im most worried about.

Dan

Dan

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Wii and Nintendo DS.
The main thing is, the original controls aren't a secondary option. They're in as a prefrence. Much like in using the Wiimote you can opt for left or right handed.

The controls will give you equal control over NiGHTS. No one will be better than the other.

I'll admit, how you'd use the Wiimote alone has me baffled. My only thought is that it works the same as the Saturn standard controller. Using the D pad to fly NiGHTS, 1 or 2 to drill and tilting the controller activated stunts in some way.

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I think if the game is sideways on rails (likely) then it'll be a Secret Rings style thing. No idea how you'd go up down- twisting it as well? Unless you're behind NiGHTS, then maybe it'd be a little different. And obviously movements for the tricks. As for traditional, nunchuck for movement, those 2 buttons on it and the A button for tricks etc. 1 and 2 and the d-pad for tricks on wiimote control maybe?

Lavos

Lavos

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
If the game retains the sidescroller viewpoint, I'd think NiGHTS movement might be mapped to the pointer. NiGHTS follows the pattern you make with the pointer, or alternatively he tries to fly towards the pointer at all times.

I'd really, really like to see it work that way.

NiGHTSfan

NiGHTSfan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

If the game retains the sidescroller viewpoint, I'd think NiGHTS movement might be mapped to the pointer. NiGHTS follows the pattern you make with the pointer, or alternatively he tries to fly towards the pointer at all times.

I'd really, really like to see it work that way.

Originally, I thought the same way, but thinking about it now, how could it work and still be fluid? Going in one direction would consist of holding the Wiimote in the same position as NiGHTS continues to fly. That would get boring quick. It needs more action, more user input then that. The original was all about the feeling of controlling NiGHTS, and making him part of you. JoD should still have a degree of connection between the user's actions and the character's.

Now that I think of it, though....All you do in NiD is hold the analog stick to the right, but even so, at least there you feel like part of the experience.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Tricky stuff.. I'm sure using the nunchuk will work fine, and prolly be the initial preference of veteran NiGHTS gamers. But the Wiimote alone?

The pointer ideya makes practical sense, but yeah, it would take away from the flying sensation. I wouldn't mind holding it a la Secret Rings, keeping a sort of over-the-shoulder view.. come to think of it, isn't that how most of the new screens are situated? O_O

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Originally, I thought the same way, but thinking about it now, how could it work and still be fluid? Going in one direction would consist of holding the Wiimote in the same position as NiGHTS continues to fly. That would get boring quick. It needs more action, more user input then that. The original was all about the feeling of controlling NiGHTS, and making him part of you. JoD should still have a degree of connection between the user's actions and the character's.

Now that I think of it, though....All you do in NiD is hold the analog stick to the right, but even so, at least there you feel like part of the experience.

Maybe they will do what they did in the old game and make the point of view switch once you get to a certain area. That might spice things up a bit. Or maybe it will make things too difficult. I am not sure. I have never used the Wii remote...oh wait yes I have. I tried playing Zelda with it once. I hated it!

I think Kori is right. Watch most of us stick to the nunchuck after all the hard work they put into making NiGHTS work with the Wii remote.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Heh, we probably will! Unless they give the Wiimote some innovative flying lessons that just blow us all away. I gotta admit, I'm hopeful for something new, something even more immersive than thumb-twiddling. I just wonder how they'd pull it off? I'm still curious about the new screens being shot more behind NiGHTS, not beside him.. or is that simply creative licensing?

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
It seems to me that Izuka-san and co. wouldn't be so up front about the control scheme unless they were pretty damn confident they could make it work.

Let's hear them out on the Wii-mote only option when the time comes, hmm?

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
I Think you will hold the wiimote on the side (like in many racing games) and possibly you would turn it and that would control NiGHTS direction, and the pressing of the buttons would make the acrobatic tricks. I have a wii and for me this seems like it could work.

NiGHTSfan

NiGHTSfan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Perhaps the controls would work like the flying carpet sequence in SatSR. NiGHTS is in front of you, and you control his up and down movement by dipping and raising the Wiimote...

I thought it was the most fun part of that game.

Scion

Scion

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, games, anime, manga, movies, music, reading, writing, drawing, traveling, and more...

Perhaps the controls would work like the flying carpet sequence in SatSR. NiGHTS is in front of you, and you control his up and down movement by dipping and raising the Wiimote...

I thought it was the most fun part of that game.

Yeah that would be fun but wouldn't it be difficult to paraloop...

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
Well, the new Nintendo Power article says that NiGHTS will be controlled by Wii-mote motions. Moving the controller sideways to the left will steer NiGHTS left. Tilting the controller will tilt NiGHTS. Quite a few of the screenshots were from behind NiGHTS, but at a good angle, so this will probably work.

Of course, that leaves open the question of how paralooping will work. There's also the question of how to make NiGHTS "stand still", if that's even an option.

At least we have some clues to work with now.

Dark Messiah

Dark Messiah

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list.
Well with how the interview suggested..I'm seeing a Wario Ware effect going on here. Different positions with different motions make for different moves. Perhaps there's different parts in the game where you get a first person view, so you can play without the nunchuck end as controlling NiGHTS from that is more of a directional approach rather than paralooping and performing aerobatics... The only thing I can really see the nunchuck for is for faster movement: You can worry about all the flying with one hand, and any button attacking you have to do with the other, without having to worry about messing up a flight sequence, if anyone understood that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users