Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS' new look

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
This is bound to pop up sooner or later, so might as well get that out of the way now.

What does everyone think?
By now, anyone who's seen it has generally picked a side on wether they like it or not... now's the time for your voice to be heard!

Personally, I don't like it.
I'm unimpressed with how they compressed so much detail and colours onto his chest area, while basically ignoring everywhere else. It makes his torso look very cramped and heavy compared to his limbs and the red colour severly unbalances him.
I'm not angry that they changed him. I'm very happy they had the balls to go ahead and alter him, at the risk of angering the fanbase, but I really wish they'd gone all out and completely rehauled him instead of just stopping at the chest. Either that, or just let him be.

So let's get scratchin'!

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Oooh dear, you're about to drudge up a nightmare and a half. :D Likely it will be about whether the people like it because they really honestly do or because everyone else does.

Well I'm diggin' it. I really liked it when Josse linked it to me, before they put it up on NiD. (When it got leaked out originally) and I was freaking out about how cool I thought he looked. So personally, I think its awesome. ^^ I'm especially glad they didn't do anything drastic! I love how they just added more detail.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
I think it looks pretty much the same as before. Only a few minor changes.
NiGHTS ALWAYS had that red jacket. It just had an enormous collar. Aside from a couple british style flourishes hes exactly the same.

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
I'm going to go with Purg on this one. I was a bit sceptical at first, but when I got used to it I really liked it. It gives a nice amount of detail without losing the original look all that much. I LOVE the embroidery on his arms and legs (even though I'll hate it in a little while when I color it in on a pic I'm working on, but whatever) and even though the color pick for his new collar maybe wasn't the best... it still feels great.
NiGHTS looks nice and colorful, just the way I like 'em. :3

Sa-chan

Sa-chan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I didn't like it at first. :/ As soon as I saw that magazine cover image my first thought was "OMFG what did they DO!? D: "
...But I actually rather like it a lot now. 'Tis fancy. And I can make bullfighter jokes. <3

I'm with Sairus though, they prolly should have added more details to his boots or his hat too.

However the only thing that REALLY irks me about his new design is the mascara. wtf.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I am HATING those wiggly eyelashes. :D

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
heh, I looove his big puffy 'lashes~ XD Whenever I draw him he's always got supa 'lashes!

His old jacket was Pink, which complimented the red... a colour shift from purple to red is a bit drastic (even with the buffer layer of pink) when there's so much white there too.

I approved of the red jewel in his chest on the original design because it really stands out... now it's just another red.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Well, you heard my argument in DreamCast 01. I think NiGHTS' new garments suit him perfectly. The character seems like he's grown up a bit yet still kept the whole 'playful/mischevious' look about him. I do admit that the colour of the ruffle underneath his collar is a little off puting but it doesn't bother me that much.

NiGHTS, my friend. You lookin' sharp, man. Let's hit the town and buy some fish and chips. XD

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
I like NiGHTS' new outfit; it makes him look even more...what's the word? He makes me think more of him being a dream rather than just some weird creature based in a world like Sonic the Hedgehog (who i have nothing against; just his Wii game. They don't say how to hold the Wiimote!). It makes him look more fantasy than reality.

Never ask me to explain this cause...i can't.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
Personally, I'm a little worried that NiGHTS may come off as too feminine. It's the eyes, I think. For reference.

Sonic Team really has to balance the gender attributes. One of the great things about NiGHTS is that (s)he is so mysterious, we don't even know his/her sex. They really should keep that mystery.

As for the jacket, I like it. It has that clown motif but doesn't overdo it. Sort of dignified, really. I wish they'd made the stripes on NiGHTS' "horns" a bit more subtle, though.

ETA: I hear you, Catchan.

Shades14236

Shades14236

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Setting things on fire. Fire. FIRE....
This topic is just asking for a flame war.
Well, personally, I don't like it.
I'm way too used to his original look, and this just....well....it's weird, for me.
It'll take a long time to get used to this... :D

suri

suri

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
It is good. but I think sonic team has the potentional to amaze me which they did not.

wyldflowa

wyldflowa

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing comics! And ur... drawing comics. And... comics...<br /><br />I like games too. XD
I really like it - they've added enough to make him seem refreshed but not so much that he's entirely unidentifiable. I love the little blue jewely things on his collar and the military-style detail on the shoulders. The embroidery is a bit "ehh" with me... it looks a bit too fussy compared to the rest of his outfit - especially his feet... they look like unrealistic lumps of plasticine compared to the rest. ^^;

All in all I like it. He looks more like a ringmaster now than a clown~ X3

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

heh, I looove his big puffy 'lashes~ XD Whenever I draw him he's always got supa 'lashes!

Now.. are you talking about IN game, or the cool ones he's got on the covers of the magazines? XD Its the in game ones that are weird, like someone took a playdoh cutter to them.

This topic is just asking for a flame war.

Ha ha, that's what I was saying I was afraid of. People who don't know how to agree or disagree without thinking up an excuse for why someone doesn't see eye to eye with them. But don't worry, that won't be happening around here.

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Running (Cross Country), video games (especially NiGHTS, of course), and other various things.
'tis extremely snazzy, I say.

Matthew29w12

Matthew29w12

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Games
    Sleep
    Food
    Friends
I like both NiGHTS's looks equally, it looks so cool either costume...its the eyes that kinda get me, confusingggg!

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

I like both NiGHTS's looks equally, it looks so cool either costume...its the eyes that kinda get me, confusingggg!

Oh, I definitely don't favour one over the other. You can never overlook classic NiGHTS. ^^

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
the eyes look amazing. Very otherworldly and perfect for NiGHTS.

Wrenreele

Wrenreele

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Stars. Chickens.
I haaaaaaaaaate it.
I mean, yeah, it does make him look more like he's grown up... But what's with the bull fighter take on it?
And the glooooooves I hate them.

suri

suri

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I actualy think it would have been a good adition to have NiGHTS look different for each of the children. How they see him.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
Hmm.. I don't know about that thought. Especially since he didn't have anything about him like that in the original game. They both saw him the same way.. It actually makes me think of Harry Potter, where they had the weird spirit thingie that switched shapes to the fear of whoever faced it. If it was something they used on another Nightmaren entirely, maybe. But.. I don't think I agree with it.

suri

suri

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hmm.. I don't know about that thought. Especially since he didn't have anything about him like that in the original game. They both saw him the same way.. It actually makes me think of Harry Potter, where they had the weird spirit thingie that switched shapes to the fear of whoever faced it. If it was something they used on another Nightmaren entirely, maybe. But.. I don't think I agree with it.

true but, if they have to change his outfit, might as well have the change mean something(for a reason). And if it meant something it would make sense to have it mean something in respect to the children, something important to them. And the children are both different. But I can see how people wouldnt like that idea.

Metra

Metra

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Getting MAD DRAWING SKILLZ, making friends, writing, drawing, NiGHTS, old games, dreaming, using &quot;Etc etc etc&quot;s in the end of phrases, etc etc etc.
Melykes. We all can do bullfighter jokes involving NiGHTS and Reala now.
About the eyelashes: I also like. It's doesn't make him/her more feminine, I think (Not for me). ITS SUPAH SEZZY.

BUT!

I really hate his boots. Like, they gave all that glitter, details and jazz to his/her clothes and forgot the boots. In the art, everything looks fine, but his/her boots... Looks like it's made of plastic. >_<

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
Metra, I agree. I also thought the boots looked a bit too shiny. Like they're rain gear. XD He PHEARS puddles!!

Wrenreele

Wrenreele

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Stars. Chickens.
Can't wait to see if they screw Reala over or make him sexellent.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?

Can't wait to see if they screw Reala over or make him sexellent.

I'm sure that if they do as good of a job as they did on NiGHTS, we won't have to worry about everyone's favorite sex demon looking less sexcellent.
Although, I am a bit confused on his role in the new game...they made it sound as though he was gonna be the main bad guy...girl...demon...thing.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I really like the new design for pretty much the same reasons as Digi. Also, the waistcoat is my favorite article of clothing in real life. That NiGHTS is now wearing waistcoat rather than a plain vest really elevates this design in my eyes. It doesn't hurt that this new one looks really slick. The cravat is pretty stylish too.

Feniiku

Feniiku

iMAGNi SPY!

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Drawing<br />Gaming<br />Reading
I like his new design too. It was a bit startling at first, but after a couple of glances at it, I fell in love with it. Though I am gonna stick with drawing the original design for a good while to come, lol.

I love his eyes, they're absolutely gorgeous.

And the jacket with the frills and the edgesis awesome. Though the 'boots' could have done with a bit of work, I agree, I just can't diss the swirlified patterns down his sleeves and on his legs. Lol, he's all "LOOKIT MAH SMEXY LEGS!" XD

Cybovac

Cybovac

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Gah... this place is so big....<br /><br />Cartoons and animation (especially Disney), TaleSpin, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Darkwing Duck, reading, writing, drawing, and many more.<br />And now NiGHTS. Obviously.
I like the new design... the feet do look like something off an action figure, but the detail on the rest of him/her looks really nice. It looks sophisticated (er... maybe? ^ ^'') but still keeps the circus feeling about it.

And the eyes! Boy are they SHINY! XD

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
:P A bit random...but I wonder if Jackle's gonna come back. He'd probably have an awesome redesign too.
That was kind of off subject, though...

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Location:WAY back in the country. And no you don't get phone service.
  • Interests:Drawing, writing, playing my flute and guitar, tap dancing, being outdoors.
........I'm of mixed feelings about the whole thing. I liked his jacket better when it was pink. ^ ^'' His collar's nice......but maybe they could've kept that design, but colored it in the old yellow and pink, like his old turtleneck-type collar. His pants are cute though, love the embroidery. XD

He could do without the gloves if you ask me......I agree with what TRiPPY said in the podcast, it just looks like his hands are white. I guess the reason they did that was either because of the Sonic characters all having gloves or the fact that Reala and Jackle did in the old game and NiGHTS didn't....I dunno but it looks sort of weird.

And the eyelashes.....* cringes*

I fear for Reala......and Jackle. * cringes over F**ckle *

Metra

Metra

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Getting MAD DRAWING SKILLZ, making friends, writing, drawing, NiGHTS, old games, dreaming, using &quot;Etc etc etc&quot;s in the end of phrases, etc etc etc.

He could do without the gloves if you ask me......I agree with what TRiPPY said in the podcast, it just looks like his hands are white. I guess the reason they did that was either because of the Sonic characters all having gloves or the fact that Reala and Jackle did in the old game and NiGHTS didn't....I dunno but it looks sort of weird.

Yep, they really look white. I mean, HOW DID NiGHTS GOT THAT GLOVES? S/he hasn't wrists! Looks like a white blob jumped in NiGHTS' hands and taa-daa, glove. Or maybe it's latex? XD

I dunno about the new design without the gloves. Can someone do an edit please?

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, writing, playing my flute and guitar, tap dancing, being outdoors.

:blink: A bit random...but I wonder if Jackle's gonna come back. He'd probably have an awesome redesign too.
That was kind of off subject, though...

I worry that he won't be back....after seeing that stupid........* grumbles over maren boss again*

If he is.......I hope they don't change him. There's not really much they could've done though.....after all, he ws just basically gloves and socks and a cloak........I'm scared. * hides*

Metra

Metra

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

I worry that he won't be back....after seeing that stupid........* grumbles over maren boss again*

If he is.......I hope they don't change him. There's not really much they could've done though.....after all, he ws just basically gloves and socks and a cloak........I'm scared. * hides*

Pimpcloak plz.

Something VERY funky, pretty and still red-orange-white (And maybe blue) that matches with his design.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

If that thing is Puffy and Jackle fused (not gonna say the name), I'm gonna kick some serious Sonic Team *Jackle laughing as censor*...if I could. You know...travel all the way to Sega USA and get through security then beat up a bunch of grown men...

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

If that thing is Puffy and Jackle fused (not gonna say the name), I'm gonna kick some serious Sonic Team *Jackle laughing as censor*...if I could. You know...travel all the way to Sega USA and get through security then beat up a bunch of grown men...

I would join you! Just tell me when. lol

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Yep, they really look white. I mean, HOW DID NiGHTS GOT THAT GLOVES? S/he hasn't wrists! Looks like a white blob jumped in NiGHTS' hands and taa-daa, glove. Or maybe it's latex? XD

I dunno about the new design without the gloves. Can someone do an edit please?

I'm on it!

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
REALLY don't see why everyone's complaining about the gloves. I think it just adds to his Jesterly-ness (N-Gamer can use the word, I can too), considering jesters probably wore gloves. I AM a bit confused on how he got them on, though...

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.

REALLY don't see why everyone's complaining about the gloves. I think it just adds to his Jesterly-ness (N-Gamer can use the word, I can too), considering jesters probably wore gloves. I AM a bit confused on how he got them on, though...

Well, since s/he could turn into a bobsleigh in the first game ... I don't think it would be much of a problem. XDXD

I agree with you on the gloves-thing though. It really does add to his jesterly-ness (yay, new word!) and also adds a sense of class. I likes it. :3

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

SiLVERWiNDGHOST

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
The same way Reala and Jackle got theirs on, I guess.
MS Paint is not your friend, people.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users