Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I found another Iizuka interview

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
http://www.cbsnews.c...in3527076.shtml

Important info on how the game difficulty increases! So nolonger do we have to worry about it being too easy. Bosses get harder, huzzah!

Also nice to see Iizuka talking about dreams at the end XD; *mush*

As for our own questions to Iizuka I'm waiting for our guy to write up his notes as he got a lot down apparently X) Yey! Not sure if that'll be tommorow or monday (if it's office hours).
Trust me, I've been stuck in an f5 trance all day.
I should make a seperate post.

Keep this one on topic plz. Talk about the above CBS interview : )

Ronnie

Ronnie

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
urgh Iizuki seems to be giving the "its always been my dream to make a sequel" attitude. I remember Yuji Naka saying while he was at Sonic Team that he would never want to create a sequal to a master piece, didn't DiGi say in PD04 that Iizuki was an immense liar?

I'm not sure if I should take this interview seriously.

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Oh good, I'm glad to hear that the bosses get harder. They looked seriously easy-mode in some of those videos...

And yay! Looks like the Ideya haven't been forgotten XD

He also says there are "several modes"... maybe one of them is a score-attack mode like we've been hoping for.

I can't wait to go up against you guys in a race. XD

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling

urgh Iizuki seems to be giving the "its always been my dream to make a sequel" attitude.

Actually, Iizuka has been quoted in the past as saying he wanted to make a sequel. I do recall he promised as long as he worked at SonicTeam one day he would try to bring us a new game. I just think him and Naka had conflicting ideas for the franchise. I can understand both their viewpoints though. I mean Naka wanted to preserve the first game because he didn't think it could be improved on, Iizuka however is on the other foot and wants to bring back NiGHTS. Until i see what Iizuka does personaly for this franchise i wont say it's a wrong or right decision. I think we should give it a chance.

Besides, it's not so much as lies than just trying to keep us in suspense. If we knew everthing about the game (or i told people everything i know) it would ruin the fun of playing it for yourself and finding things.

Also Apti... SEVEN ideya :P whee~ i wonder what new colors they added? I spotted a purple one on the 2player screens Jof posted a while ago. And another green one i think.

IDEYA IT'S WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.

Also Apti... SEVEN ideya :P whee~ i wonder what new colors they added? I spotted a purple one on the 2player screens Jof posted a while ago. And another green one i think.

Unfortunately, the two-player videos released revealed that the plyaer in the lead has a mulit-coloured-forever-changing-hue Ideya as an icon. Still, the colours it cycles through could offer insight into the new ones. *Goes to check*

EDiT : As far as I can tell, we have WHITE, YELLOW, ORANGE, RED, PURPLE, BLUE and GREEN

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

EDiT : As far as I can tell, we have WHITE, YELLOW, ORANGE, RED, PURPLE, BLUE and GREEN

Black? Brown? Peach?

For "NiGHTS," I think this is a perfect time to bring the sequel to life. Our industry seems to be flooded with violent games - which is fine for the mature audience. But I wanted to create a game for everyone that would touch the consciousness of those who are looking for games outside of that trend, a more family friendly game.

And that is why I respect these people. He makes the most truest quote I've heard all day. :P

I-san: I've always been a big fan of Mario games, and I have to say, that I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on Mario Galaxy to see what new adventures are in store for him.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Iizuka-san and Miyamoto-san were best friends lol

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Unfortunately, the two-player videos released revealed that the plyaer in the lead has a mulit-coloured-forever-changing-hue Ideya as an icon. Still, the colours it cycles through could offer insight into the new ones. *Goes to check*

Oh, nice! Primary and secondary colors (and white). I love it when the colors they choose make sense like that. :3

CrazyInABottle

CrazyInABottle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Nice interview. I was a little surprised to hear they originally thought of making it full 3D flight. I'm glad they stuck with the original design.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I thought it was pink instead of purple, from all the mortified people screaming at all the pink that's suddenly appeared in ickle ReeRee's design. ^^;

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
<3

This interview confirms it, without a doubt - should I ever run into Iizuka-san by some strangely happy chance, if I was given permission, I would hug him!

Scratch that, I'd hug him anyway. XD

*~ChAoSkY~*

*~ChAoSkY~*

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:-~~Videogames: <br />Klonoa, Sonic, Rayman, Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, NiGHTS.~~ <br />~~Anime and manga: <br />Inuyasha, Case closed, One piece~~<br />~Drawing~ <br />~Cooking~ <br />~Swimming~ <br />~Crafts~

Our industry seems to be flooded with violent games - which is fine for the mature audience. But I wanted to create a game for everyone that would touch the consciousness of those who are looking for games outside of that trend, a more family friendly game.

I love you, Iizuka! Finally someone who can think outside of the box! :3

But anyways, great interwiew, thanks for telling about this. :]

ShadiWulf

ShadiWulf

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Interesting, I didn't know CBS was so into games, and great interview, posted it on the SEGA America Boards, wonder how long until everyone there bashes it.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

For "NiGHTS," I think this is a perfect time to bring the sequel to life. Our industry seems to be flooded with violent games - which is fine for the mature audience. But I wanted to create a game for everyone that would touch the consciousness of those who are looking for games outside of that trend, a more family friendly game.

To think this is the guy who made Shadow the Hedgehog what with its guns, vehicles, "black" aliens, damn 4th Chaos Emerald and the ability to kill humans. I guess he learned something from that misfire.

It's kinda strange how he puts this much consideration into NiGHTS yet he doesn't seem to give much of a second thought about the things he does with Sonic. I understand NiGHTS is a cult classic while Sonic is a giant multi-media franchise, but honestly, he should be more considerate with Sonic too.

I've always been a big fan of Mario games, and I have to say, that I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on Mario Galaxy to see what new adventures are in store for him.

That's very encouraging. I once made a huge post at the Sonic Stadium about the possibility of Sonic Team taking inspiration from Super Mario Galaxy for their 3D Sonic games and Iizuka getting Mario Galaxy will be the first step to that. Hopefully he will take note about the things that made the game so wonderful and well polished and apply that to his next Sonic game. That would be sweet.

Arkiee

Arkiee

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I find this response somewhat odd...

I-san: My influences come from just living life like anyone else.

Does Iizuka like taking hallucinogenics on a regular basis? = P

Its a nice interview, looks like Iizuka has been really busy the last couple of days.

That's very encouraging. I once made a huge post at the Sonic Stadium about the possibility of Sonic Team taking inspiration from Super Mario Galaxy for their 3D Sonic games and Iizuka getting Mario Galaxy will be the first step to that. Hopefully he will take note about the things that made the game so wonderful and well polished and apply that to his next Sonic game. That would be sweet.

I don't see what you could really take other then the fact a high quality platformer is high quality...All that Sonic needs can be found in his early 2D antics, momentum building, multiple paths, level specific gimmicks, a unique level design for all the stages and a fantastic art direction, heck these are almost all found in certain Sonic Adventure levels, most notable is Lost World and Final Egg.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

I don't see what you could really take other then the fact a high quality platformer is high quality...All that Sonic needs can be found in his early 2D antics, momentum building, multiple paths, level specific gimmicks, a unique level design for all the stages and a fantastic art direction.

Exactly, things that are found in Super Mario Galaxy. Well, except maybe the momentum building, but that's something that's unique to Sonic. Then again, Mario Galaxy does have an emphasis on physics, but that's mostly due to the gravity system.

You are right though, Sonic Team should really refer to the 2D Sonic games. But it is possible that, in the scenario that Iizuka is playing Galaxy, he will enjoy it so much and, at some point, ask himself, "What does this game have that I can apply to my 3D Sonic games?" The rest is self-explanatory.

We should really get back to NiGHTS though. Anyone?

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Weird...I never liked CBS, and did not know that they even covered games that were not out yet. You learn something new every day.

I also like the fact that he is being really careful with how NiGHTS is designed and how he wanted to play the best game of the year: Super Mario Galaxy. He could stand to learn a lot from that game, as could all makers of action games (specifically platformers).

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
Online chat? Seven ideya?????? Super NiGHTS! :P
Well, that elimintaes my seven world chains idea.

Arkiee

Arkiee

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Exactly, things that are found in Super Mario Galaxy. Well, except maybe the momentum building, but that's something that's unique to Sonic. Then again, Mario Galaxy does have an emphasis on physics, but that's mostly due to the gravity system.

You are right though, Sonic Team should really refer to the 2D Sonic games. But it is possible that, in the scenario that Iizuka is playing Galaxy, he will enjoy it so much and, at some point, ask himself, "What does this game have that I can apply to my 3D Sonic games?" The rest is self-explanatory.

Yes, but one doesn't need to play Super Mario Galaxy to note how this is done and executed as it should be something someone with creative ability has already thought about, that being my point. Look at NiGHTS as a example of that! Naka, Oshima, Iizuka etc didn't play a game like that, but they were adamant with making a quality title like no other on the SEGA Saturn and they succeeded. So that was basically my point, one doesn't need to play the greatest game made to make the greatest game made; they just need to be creative! Of course you can use it as a sort of model, but at the same time you don’t need to, like how you could model something after Star Wars, or go in a different method like Star Trek.

Oh and the thing you mentioned earlier about Iizuka and Sonic, I think a reason could be is he has more of a personal connection with NiGHTS then he probably would have with Sonic, he only got into Sonic Team round the time of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, he was never involved in the creation of the original Sonic. I think, having been part of the original design team with NiGHTS, Iizuka-san has more of a connection with the character, which is probably why we are seeing such a (Hopefully) giant spike in quality.

Anyway getting back in topic.

Well that Iizuka has done a lot of talking these past few days! (Yes I don't know how to get back on topic, sorry about that)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users