Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Keeping a Dream Diary

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ViSiON

ViSiON

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computers, lucid dreaming.
I've always been interested in lucid dreaming. I've kept a dream diary in the past with some results (half lucid dreams, kind of). Eventually though it gets too much to keep up with and I get lazy (my own fault I know). I've used an actual paper and pen journal, but I've been thinking of putting it down digitally, as I type faster than I write. I put up a blog here (I think that was what I was supposed to do, unless it's supposed to go somewhere else). Anyway, I'd like to know some of your dream diary experiences, and whether it does help you achieve lucidity, or if there are any other tips and tricks to become lucid too.

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition
Well, my dear, here's a subject I can hopefully help with!

I myself have been keeping a dream journal since July 2005. I don't remember all of my dreams-- heck, some days I'll wake up and forget everything in an instant-- but I do my best to record everything that remains.
And that helps. Even if the only thing you recall is something miniscule, like a person you saw or a place you visited, jot it down. The more you do this, the more you'll end up remembering, at least I think so.

By the way I speak from heavy experience. XD I've been a dream addict since my early childhood (no joke, kids) but also have the most awful memory imaginable. Seriously, I can't even remember what happened yesterday afternoon, let alone in my dream last night!
But practice makes perfect! Sure, it's an overkilled cliche, but that's only so because it's true.

I suggest you continue your dream diary on pen and paper, but if you ever get a chance to type (even if it's only on Wordpad or something for future use), then do that also.

Since the dream diaries here on NiD are still so buggy (mine is still MIA), I've been posting my dreams on my deviantART account (also spinningcannon) if you want to take a look. :o

Oh-- and another very important thing!
It may help immensely to keep a paper and pencil by your bed to type anything and everything you can recall immediately after you wake up. That's a tried-and-true method, hon. I suggest you give it a shot.

Well, that's all the advice I can offer today! I sure hope it helps!

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Also, you don't have to just write. Drawing works pretty well if you can't find the words to describe something in the dream.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Dream Recall

Dream recall is essential if you want to lucid dream. Not only does it let you remember your lucids (which would be handy), but it also helps you get them. So really a good skill to have.

The best (only) way to do it is with a dream journal. A real, written dream journal. None of this online crap. Online dream journals are nice, but they should supplement your real journal, not the other way round. Here's a nice (crudely done in photoshop with a trackpad) example of how you should lay it out:

Posted Image

This is a set out that should cater for most, if not everyone. Think of a title that relates to the dream and is catchy in some way, write some brief notes on the dream (so you can pour your thoughts on the page before writing them out) then write them out as a full narrative right after. Next, draw a nice picture for a visual aid to trip memories later if you decide to look back. It really doesn't matter if it's not well drawn, what does matter however is that it's something that happened, not just something you think will look good.

Keep at this and in no time you'll have developed a decent enough recall (two or three a night is okay) to move onto our next bit. A basic, yet the most effective lucid dream induction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users