Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Journey of Dreams review

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Running (Cross Country), video games (especially NiGHTS, of course), and other various things.
http://www.gamesrada...402143948293070

From Gamesrader (sorry, I know this isnt the JoD board, but I dont have permission to post there). I thought this was worthy of making a new topic...the first three pages are general information with some new stuff, one thing worrying my score attack self. Apparantly, no dodging the cage - we're forced to go into it with the key. Bleh, that scares me.

Though that worries the crud out of me, the rest sounds awesome. Cerberus style boss, another boss to destroy its platform (no details), and a last page detailing the final fight with "spoilers" (though, not too many - basically if you played the first, no surprises). Sounds pretty awesome.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Must... not... read... SPOILER WARNING!!!

I'm guessing there's no delay anymore.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Meh. We knew about the game and it's secrets before the press did and everything me and TRiP get told is a spoiler, anyway . *reads the spoiler*

Ooh. Scary man. I kinda expected that, lol. ANYWAYS.. :)

Thanks for getting this article to us.

--EDiT--
Moved the topic for ya. :lol:

kidninja

kidninja

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:video games, imports, marksmenship, samurai, ninjas, monkeys,technical misc stuff, NiGHTS, sonic, megaman, diffrent anime, and Gintama.
COOL I wonder what the secret ending is

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I do hope the reviewers also left something out so that DiGi and TRiPPY can be the ones to tell us. *goes to listen to the current podcast*

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
"January release" eh... *pulls out hair* GAHH I am so confused with all these conflicting release date reports! D:

Anyway... cool. I like that they're keeping it a lot like the original. If they went and pulled an Iblis Trigger.... aaaargh, you know we'd riot in the streets. XD and brush our teeth very vigorously indeed.

They complained about the voice, but people would probably complain if he was mute, too. It would be pretty difficult to tell a convincing story without one, and then there would be mime jokes... x_x

SO glad it's sounding to be at the least decent, and at the best, very good.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Oh god...it's...right...there...*clicks to last page*

:lol:

Is it December 18th yet?

EDIT: Yeah they're saying January release...that's confusing me a lot too. Oh, and this isn't a review...it's more of a preview than anything else. Can't be much longer now until Sega's sending out finalized review copies...

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Running (Cross Country), video games (especially NiGHTS, of course), and other various things.
Thanks.

Yeah, I kinda figured you knew about the storyline, heh, but as far as I'm concerned right now, JoD retains the atmosphere of the original perfectly. I am just a tad concerned about gameplay now...if there's no viable score attack, that'll be pretty painful. =/

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Mmhmm. It's one of the things we were concerned about from the beginning. It seems doing 'laps' is out of the question now. :lol:
I think they'll base the score on how quickly you can do a level WHILE getting those high links in. I guess it's just a different way to challenge old fans without reusing the old method of laps. I still loved doing laps though.

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Oh jeez. That's...unpleasant. =/ It might work - maybe - but it seems like it'll put a "ceiling" on the scores. People are *still* topping each other in the original over at scoreattack.net (or at least they were a few months ago...I think the community there nailed every world record over the summer), but there's a limit to how fast the levels can be done... hm. Maybe something new will come up or be discovered.

Reala5481

Reala5481

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Location:The Dream of Glass, Crystal Palace. Searching for my dreams...
  • Interests:Reading, Anime, Video Games, Poetry, And Singing.
Okay, I want to know why everyone's so obsessed with the score attack stuff. It doesn't seem that great to me... :huh:

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
It basically adds a fast-paced, perfectionable element to the game. Scoreattack.net has a bunch of videos showing top level play - some of them are absolutely incredible. Very few mistakes, if any.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
It's sounding rather nice to my ears, I mean, I knew kinda deep down that this probably wouldnt meet the expectations raised by the original after 11 years, and with SonicTeams track record... but it sounds alright.

The Scoring thing sucks major, major ass. NiGHTS is a Score based game. Why limit that further ?

Im loving the end battle, great homage. And secret ending, nice.

It all sounds quite a bit complete though... which raises the delay into question. Then they shoot it back down witht eh January mention.

CONFUSION. Do I import at Christmas or not SEGA ?! Camone tea hell : P

Guest_DreamWeaver_*

Guest_DreamWeaver_*
  • Guests
Noooo! No bonus time! Killz that bloody bird maren. I could cry. :'(
This game is looking bad again. I hope ideya capture gameplay is unlocked later. "Blue chips are now redundant"? GAAAAH NOES!!!!!
Hang on though. Maybe if you let that bird thing fly through the cage, you can go round again? Or would that decrease yuor score? Aw I'm just gonna have to wait aren't I. I'll buy it anyway, it is NiGHTS after all.

Deraj

Deraj

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Location:Some little spot of nowhere. No, not that spot. Some other spot.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't despair just yet. There's still the multiple missions thing. And there could be a 'Time/Score Attack' thing on the Main Menu that the people on GameRadar overlooked. It's possible. They WHERE there mostly to play Story Mode, from the looks of it. Don't panic until we're SURE. And if it's not there, I'm selling mob supplies and maps to Segas of Japan and America.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
There are a couple things from the spoiler page I want to point out, but these quotes are not spoilers. So don't worry. I am not ruining anything for you.

...and the final battle is easily as climactic as that in Super Mario Galaxy.

Well that sounds pretty cool. Interesting to see someone compare Mario Galaxy to NiGHTS in that way....

It should be OK. We've got mute buttons, after all...

T_T

Guest_DreamWeaver_*

Guest_DreamWeaver_*
  • Guests
Yeah I'm still clinging to a thread of hope. Might have to take you up on that mob pack though...

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
As might I.

And I thought of letting the bird fly through, but with experiencedl play, you'll probably have caught up to Mr. Bird F00b rather quickly. Perhaps - PERHAPS - you could dodge him, fly over him, and keep going... but you definatley couldnt stay behind him. You wouldnt be able to gain links, move quickly... it'd be tragic.

But I remembered a rumor about an online scoreboard, though. Why would they take out score attack altogether if the rumor is true (which I have doubts about, for the record)....? I dunno. I'll keep hoping still...I'll definately still buy it and (I'm sure) love it, as I love the atmosphere of NiGHTS more than the gameplay (though I do love the flight, which it still has, generally), and the atmosphere is still intact.

Deraj

Deraj

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Location:Some little spot of nowhere. No, not that spot. Some other spot.
I've got torches, pitchforks, and, for the mobber stuck in the back of the pack, twelve-guage shotgun. Ammunition free. XD

In all seriousness, though, I'm sure Iizuka KNOWS that the Score Attack was the biggest replay thing that the Original NiGHTS had. He probably had it set up so that it has it's own mode now, is all. (If it didn't in the original, I mean. Never played the original. TT_TT And I don't have a PS2, so WAH!)

CrazyInABottle

CrazyInABottle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

And I thought of letting the bird fly through, but with experienced play, you'll probably have caught up to Mr. Bird F00b rather quickly. Perhaps - PERHAPS - you could dodge him, fly over him, and keep going... but you definatley couldnt stay behind him. You wouldnt be able to gain links, move quickly... it'd be tragic.

If the final version is like the early videos, the bird will go zooming past you if you get in front of it. You'd have to be hauling serious rear to stay in front of it. Sorry to shatter hopes like that, but then again it may be possible. You never know. I'm sure we'll all find ways to make the levels last longer. But hey, as long as the game is fun to play, that's all that matters!

AirMax

AirMax

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:school-survival.net, NiD, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, anime, awesome, scoreattack.net
Here's hoping for a scoring element. Although I should really start improving my scores n the original...

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
Read the spoilers and I don't know about anyone else but it's not all that Spoiling for me. Then again I don't have a Wii to play so reading is all I can do. However, I am very happy to hear good things about Wizeman.

If you have to follow the bird around ont he levels, I sure hope it'll be like SOnic games where you can reply the level for different tasts, hopefully taking the bird away and being able to make links. I really mis the ideya Captures.

The fact the owl is there makes me happy because in the old game it really threw people off as to what to do. I'm glad sega realized someone like the Owl was needed... and included him. I only wish he wasn't so scary.

Deef

Deef

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dammit I've been worrying about that cage in every video. So now we have 3 mares, not 4, and you can't even keep doing laps. Instead they pad it out with some lame platforming stuff. Ffs.

I have never liked the bird. I hate the fake chasing it is going to create.. the game won't release the key to you until it's good and ready. I also dislike the new camera business, and this cage stuff just tops it off. Why do they do it? New players don't know the difference, so why do they change what the fans want? Alright so we need something different otherwise we'll get bored, fast. I just don't like this bird business. Alternate routes throughout the entire level, that the player could choose and control mare by mare for managing good paths. Perhaps have whole-level access after the 4th Ideya crystal and then break out the serious score attack... or pian access. That sounds nicer to me.

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hmm...I have never played the original, and, ironically, I really hate arcade-y games that derive all of their enjoyment from scoring. I was so excited when I saw that they had made the levels the way they did and that the scoring thing had been minimized. I do feel for you people who played the original and loved the system there, though. It might reduce the replay value, i suppose.

I honestly think that there will be some sort of score-oriented play mode, and the thing that I am wondering is if you have to beat every mission in each level to get to the end.

Overall, the game is looking fantastic. I will gratefully endure all of the platforming sections if the flying is as wonderful as it seems.

P.S. This is one man that is sticking with the Gamecube controller for primary play.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
Oh. Just saw this at my usual place. I don't suppose the Burning Rangers 2 news is on this site, is it?
Also, what happened to Sega "pleasing the old fans"? This looks like they're more trying to draw new people in and assuming the old fans will go for it. At least there's nothing bad in there about My Dream. Also, if the Nunchuk controls Link and Midna, tis good enough for me to fly with.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Oh snap.. dunno if I wanna read this..

Man, you can't use extra time? It's all a speed course.. no.,, Ideya Capture mode pleeeeease Iizuka san for the fans, like you're always going on about.. WE WANT IDEYA CAPTURE MODE PLEASE!!!! I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER What if this new key capture play doesn't hold up as well? What's the point of earning time if you shouldn't even use it?

Augh.. NiGHTS voice actress you are now incurring my wrath.. at least your "Watch it!" came out okay

C'mon, Sonic Team. Please either realize the platforming bits with the kids are a waste of effort or get some last ditch inspiration and fix 'em up. Are they meant to be lame or something? As if we need to me more grateful for NiGHTS's parts?

Also, not being able to skip cut scenes = bad.

Golden Charm

Golden Charm

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
It is my opinion, thinking back to the original game where you could easily fly the course in the wrong direction, that if the case were that you could overtake the bird, surely the AI would be intelligent enough to have the bird fly in the opposite direction. If that were the case, you could easily do more laps, you just wouldn't benefit a double point score after the release of the key.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Don't hate it until you have tried it people. Maybe the type of score attack mode we want will be available in a unlockable level or something.

Maybe extended time with the game will reveal extra depths, as the original did.

Maybe they are right. Maybe there is a bit more to the game than we think and we can still look forward to something interesting. I will admit though, so far I do not like the sound of the no relap.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
I hope so, Yami. I'm not that good at the score attacks, but they're fun!

I'm going to echo the rest and say "is it delayed or not?" The spoiler make me happy. However, it'll probably mean I'll watch the secret ending on Youtube :blink: Also, I reserve my judgment on the voices until I hear more of them.

petebrolly

petebrolly

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
More of a preview there really! Looking forward to seeing what kind of scores this will get!

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Time for some positives!

The owl who acts as your guide is voiced well and the music fits the action perfectly. Several of the old sound effects have been used again in their original form, but don't sound tacked-on.

Yay!

Similarly, the graphics are mostly beautiful. Like Mario Galaxy, the game isn't afraid to use bright primary colours everywhere. And when NiGHTS is in flight, it really works.

Nice!

The frame-rate issues that affected early builds are gone and it's now a smooth, joyous experience.

Awesome!

But it's in the sky that NiGHTS has always excelled and, fortunately, this is where the majority of the gameplay is to be found.

Super cool!

Knowing when to use [the persona masks] is the key to the best scores and times and they're a welcome inclusion.

A welcome inclusion? Sounds good.

Speaking of the bosses, they are superb and well in keeping with the feel of the original.

Splendid.

Now we can relic in the game's potential awesomeness again. I'm not very worried about NiGHTS' voice nor am I worried about the "delay" in the controls. I would like Ideya Capture gameplay back and I'm sure it will return in some form or another. If not, oh well. I'll just acknowledge this game as a creature of its own. It worked for Gunstar Super Heroes.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
This whole one lap thing has been known about for ages and yes, it seems game breaking. Roll on the remake. :|

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
You can do more than one lap, just don't get the bird. That might be hard to manage though given the bird is not stationary like an Ideya Capture.

I'm still confused why the blue chips are even in the game now. Sure you can throw them as one of the kids, but why does NiGHTS have to collect them? Don't you drop the blue chips when you run out of time like in the first game? I guess we'll find out when the game comes out within the next couple months.

CrazyInABottle

CrazyInABottle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Time for some positives!

The owl who acts as your guide is voiced well and the music fits the action perfectly. Several of the old sound effects have been used again in their original form, but don't sound tacked-on.

Yay!

Similarly, the graphics are mostly beautiful. Like Mario Galaxy, the game isn't afraid to use bright primary colours everywhere. And when NiGHTS is in flight, it really works.

Nice!

The frame-rate issues that affected early builds are gone and it's now a smooth, joyous experience.

Awesome!

But it's in the sky that NiGHTS has always excelled and, fortunately, this is where the majority of the gameplay is to be found.

Super cool!

Knowing when to use [the persona masks] is the key to the best scores and times and they're a welcome inclusion.

A welcome inclusion? Sounds good.

Speaking of the bosses, they are superb and well in keeping with the feel of the original.

Splendid.

I agree with you all the way. We need more positive thinking about now.

Guest_DreamWeaver_*

Guest_DreamWeaver_*
  • Guests
How can you think positive when the news is like this?

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

I'm still confused why the blue chips are even in the game now. Sure you can throw them as one of the kids, but why does NiGHTS have to collect them? Don't you drop the blue chips when you run out of time like in the first game? I guess we'll find out when the game comes out within the next couple months.

Using a Persona takes up some sort of energy. My thought is that the Blue Chips are/replenish that energy.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

How can you think positive when the news is like this?

For reasons I listed above.

CrazyInABottle

CrazyInABottle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Exactly, that's why I quoted all of that. If all we talk about is how bad the game 'could' be, it's just going to ruin the whole experience.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
http://www.gamesrada...402143948293070

Theres another interview with Iizuka, from Games Radar.

But when asked whether the children from the first game, Claris and Elliot, would feature, he answered: "We'll see - I can't say", with a grin. We'll take that as a yes then, shall we?

Iizuka lies ! During 1up week he specificlaly stated no Claris and Elliot. lol.

*sekret staff snigger*

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

<a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/game/news...402143948293070" target="_blank">http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/game/news...402143948293070</a>

Theres another interview with Iizuka, from Games Radar.

Iizuka lies ! During 1up week he specificlaly stated no Claris and Elliot. lol.

*sekret staff snigger*

Since when has the video game industry been 100% truthful lol. So little time. I have to find work now. I really am getting very impatient and yet I want the game to come out a day later. I don't even need the Wii I just want this game in my hands!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users