Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS into Dreams for PS2

• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
The only thing I hate about this thread is that every time there is a new post I have this small hope that it's news saying the game to be released worldwide. *sigh* I can only dream :(

Central Dogma

Central Dogma

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I found something on the official Japanese website.

<a href="http://nights.sega.jp/nights1/ps2/secret1.html" target="_blank">http://nights.sega.jp/nights1/ps2/secret1.html</a>

The third box, is that a secret code? The side of the box is titled All Commands Fully Unlocked.
Does this mean something? I can't read it, I can only read that they must be talking about the controls like the R1 and L1

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I found something on the official Japanese website.

<a href="http://nights.sega.jp/nights1/ps2/secret1.html" target="_blank">http://nights.sega.jp/nights1/ps2/secret1.html</a>

The third box, is that a secret code? The side of the box is titled All Commands Fully Unlocked.
Does this mean something? I can't read it, I can only read that they must be talking about the controls like the R1 and L1

I figured it out. The code is:
LEFT RIGHT SQUARE CIRCLE X TRIANGLE R1 R2 DOWN UP L1 L2
It has to be entered at the main title screen where it says "Press Start Button", and if you enter the code fast enough it will make a noise (it took me a couple tries to do it smoothly enough).

Basically it unlocks everything. I used the code on a brand new save and it unlocked every dream (so you could play Twin Seeds without beating the other levels first), Christmas NiGHTS, the Gallery, and the Movie Theater. Other than that I didn't notice anything different with the gameplay, but I didn't check too closely.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Sweet.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I still have my copy of the PS2 game sitting around, waiting to be done something with. If nothing else I'll just say I plunked down 40 bucks for the storybook, which now sits prominently on a shelf in my room. It sucks that they took so much out, meaning that the Christmas NiGHTS on the PS2 disc doesn't match up to the elusive/too pricey Saturn version anyway.. but I think the Japanese version is cheaper, from what I've seen.. I have an ST key, back from the X-Men/Marvel vs. SF days.. though I'm not sure of its functionality now, I tried recently to start them up to no avail.. this is slightly off topic, but I wonder if I'm dumb for not getting the JP Saturn Christmas NiGHTS?

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Since the game is only in Japan, if I import it and play with a Swap Magic, will all the text me in Japanese?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Since the game is only in Japan, if I import it and play with a Swap Magic, will all the text me in Japanese?

From what I've read, there's surprisingly little Japanese text at all, the bigger issue is getting Swap Magic to work, methinks..

Guest_ganmew_*

Guest_ganmew_*
  • Guests
what, wait, theres a NiGHTs into Dreams for the PS2?! With Jackal and everything?!

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

what, wait, theres a NiGHTs into Dreams for the PS2?! With Jackle and everything?!

Yep, with a graphical update, extras, Saturn version too. Though 2 player and Sonic into dreams were removed, beats me why. It's only in Japan, as part of their Sega Ages line.. stupid SEGA. They sell it packaged with the NiD storybook too.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

The only Japanese text I remember is when it asks you if you want to save or not, which is pretty simple to figure out because you have 2 choices.

As for swap magic, I am not sure if it works or not using the simple swap. The way I am doing it is by using a fat ps2 with a hard drive, and I load the iso image of the game using a patched hd loader, which is run off of a usb stick, which is run by using swap magic coder. A bit of a silly way of doing it, but it is really simple, and it saves me from modding my ps2 or doing the memory card exploit.

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
So would that mean that I couldn't just use the Swap Magic and Slide Tool to play it?

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Music, Designing, Writing, NiGHTS, Zelda, Tennis (as of latey i haven't played it but I have wii sports and Sega Superstar Tennis), chasing busses to get around town, scaring off neighbors by showing my teeth and growling.
You can, That's what I've benn doing.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Yeah we just started using the swap disk and its AWESOME! The graphics are beautiful and you can even play it old school if you like, all blocky and Saturn-like. XD I came home last night and to my surprise Maresuke was playing Christmas NiGHTS- I had no idea that he'd ordered the slide tool and disk. Its really awesome, but I feel like I'm still adjusting to it.

Coolmatt49

Coolmatt49

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

You can, That's what I've benn doing.

What website did you get the Swap Magic off of?

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Music, Designing, Writing, NiGHTS, Zelda, Tennis (as of latey i haven't played it but I have wii sports and Sega Superstar Tennis), chasing busses to get around town, scaring off neighbors by showing my teeth and growling.

What website did you get the Swap Magic off of?

Im canadian, so if you are too modchip.ca

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
Just get an Australian PS2. Those can play PS2 games from anywhere. Guaranteed.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Just get an Australian PS2. Those can play PS2 games from anywhere. Guaranteed.

You sure?

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
I don't think so Musashi_HUmar O_o

I LIVE in AU and OWN a PS2 and no, i can't play games out of the PAL region.....

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Everything i region locked, no matetr what, there is NO system that plays all regions. Why? A portion of the region was due to the TV refresh rates and diff regions had dif types. Another was just to boost different sales in different region, region only stuff (like NiGHTS exclusive to japan for copyright laws). The ps2 though, doesn't really care deep down inside where it's form, but sony slaps on a nice region code. With a swap disc you can run any region, and use a burnt disc or an actual disc. It's not like a PS2 has a huge design difference design for each region, its mainly the region code. Any game can hypothetically run on any ps2, but not by legal means. The only problem though, is that a disc MAY have to be patched if it doesnt have a built in TV type detection or selection option. Some games to me wouldn't fit the screen, or some just flicker in black and white. But there are easy work arounds for that.

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Games. On WoW, I'm Yetalis on Malfurion, with a full stable o' pets. On Skype, I'm lady_spritzy. Look for me on Gaia as Lady Spritzy. I'm a Sonic fan first, but NiGHTS is a close second. But then again, is there really any difference between the two?
I believe I read somewhere that the PS2 version was only going to be released in Japan. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.
And as for why it's on the PS2 instead of Wii, that's probalby because PS2 already has so many games out, it's been out so long, and more likely than not, more people own them.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Man I need a mod...I just got the Dream Pack in today from Play-Asia, and I was expecting to use my GameShark as a swap disc, but no. So tomorrow I need to run out and buy an Action Replay instead.

Let me just point out quickly that the joy from opening the package and gazing upon the spectacle that is the box and storybook cannot be described in words. It's breathtaking. Seriously.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
The storybook i know about because i have it, but people keep going on about the box, what's it like? I still need to get my hands on a ps2 copy at some point. Then i wouldn't have to hook up my Saturn in the livingroom.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

The storybook i know about because i have it, but people keep going on about the box, what's it like?

Tiny and shiny!

I still have yet to play mine and I got it a long time ago.....AFTER WAITING TWO MONTHS FOR SHIPPING! What the hell man......

Diogothedreamer

Diogothedreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid gamer but also enjoy all kinds of other hobbies such as going out to museums,events and such. As it is currently Winter it means hibernating in house rather than going out a lot. <br /><br /> I should also mention that growing up playing on SEGa systems it is now my favorite game company in the whole world. The games developed by it always inspire me a lot and remind me of all those games many years ago such as Nights that I have many fond memories of. <br /><br />I also am really creative and tend to do all kinds of art such as drawings,painting and such. However, lately I have focused more on my computing course so have not done much. :)
The box is indeed a work of beauty with a deep purple theme throughout images and background, but it has one of those plastic stickers. I am too frightened to open mine because I know it will rip off some of the nice printed graphics for sure and I tend to be quite the perfectionist. <_<

Then again I have to look at the book sometime but can't play game as dont have a PS2 either way. Also glad to see that your copy arrived TRAViS and have fun playing it when you are able to. :D

TRAViS

TRAViS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Then again I have to look at the book sometime but can't play game as dont have a PS2 either way. Also glad to see that your copy arrived TRAViS and have fun playing it when you are able to. <_<

Regardless whether I can play it or not, I'm just psyched I finally own it. I'm going to try getting an Action Replay later today and use the notorious "Independence" Exploit to enable running unsigned/region-locked code. With any luck I'll be flying high by nightfall.

Anyway. The box. Fully-loaded, it's about as large as an old-school PC game case...actually closer to the size and weight of a flattened Sega Genesis. The purple theme around the package throws you back to 1996 with the same sense of wonder and mystery surrounding opening the original NiGHTS into Dreams. The ultra-clear renders of NiGHTS and the dreamers on the package reveal such sharp and stunning detail it's difficult to not cry at the beauty. As the number "1996" crosses your eyes trying to magically understand the Japanese text, you can't help but feel you're not holding a remade game, but a piece of past perfection. Your lip trembles and your hand quivers caressing the side of the box, searching for the way to remove the plastic without damaging the artwork. You dry your hands as you fear the sweat may stain something so sacred. As you open the box, the book presents itself to you and you remove it as if it were the original Commandments. With the game and book both removed, you set the box upon its own pedestal to preserve it forever instead of getting obliterated with all your game boxes past. It is then that you realize your swap discs no longer work, and storm out of the room in a blind rage. As you smash over your dresser and kick your dog halfway to your neighbour's, you can't help but let your mind think about any clever method to make it work. "Surely another swap disc could work," you think. "Maybe a retail one I don't care about?" As you rush to open the copy of Shadow the Hedgehog you bought for $2.99, you shout, "for the glory!" and put it in your PS2. Once the slide card trick causes nothing more than more sadness and heartbreak, you throw the Shadow disc across the room and spray Lysol in your PS2 to disinfect it. As you lay down in bed, you read the storybook, memorizing the pictures one by one, visualizing yourself there, in hope of having the greatest dream of your life.

And you do. That is the magic of NiGHTS.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Has hell frozen over yet? <_< cuz it's too dang hot in here...
oh and I want a glimmer of hope that this will come out worldwide... that would be nice too...

TRAViS

TRAViS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
One word.

OMG.

(Okay, that was three. But one acronym = one word in my mind)

I got it working, and it was quite the experience. I'll post impressions, details, and discoveries (an extra slot for bosses under the sound test menu?!) tomorrow since I gotta wake up in like 5 hours for work.

Dreams can come true...

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Hahahaha awesome.

Envy

Envy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I got it working, and it was quite the experience. I'll post impressions, details, and discoveries (an extra slot for bosses under the sound test menu?!) tomorrow since I gotta wake up in like 5 hours for work.

Dreams can come true...

How did you use action replay to play it? I'm planning on getting the Dream Pack and I've been reading up on how to play imports on my ps2 and I heard that action replay doesn't work for playing import games. I thought my only option was the Swap magic discs....?

TRAViS

TRAViS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

How did you use action replay to play it? I'm planning on getting the Dream Pack and I've been reading up on how to play imports on my ps2 and I heard that action replay doesn't work for playing import games. I thought my only option was the Swap magic discs....?

It was actually very tricky. I might make a thread soon detailing how I did it, but in its most basic form...I used Action Replay to copy a hacked PS2 system data file to my memory card that causes a buffer overflow when a PS1 game of your choosing is inserted, allowing you to inject and run homebrew code once the system internally "resets" itself. The homebrew code I chose to run (CogSwap) allows you to play backups or imports since it overrides the region-locked and signed Sony code on any PS2 game.

Personally? I would recommend Swap Magic if you don't already own an Action Replay MAX or EVO. It's a tad cheaper shipped, far easier to use for beginners, and has a higher compatibility rate. I did the Action Replay way because I had all the source materials beforehand. I just didn't want to wait and I'm pretty adept with this kind of stuff so I ran out and got the AR MAX. Gamesharks tend to not work with this. If you have one of the OLD Gameshark2 discs (v1 or v2) you can use it as if it were a swap magic disc, making life really easy. But these are hard to find.

I won't post links to tutorials or hacked saves for fear of breaking forum policy. No PMs please. If I get the OK from a moderator or admin I'll start a thread about it.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Wait, you have to do all that to use it with Action Replay Max?! I thought it allowed you to do it just by...having it. UGh. Now what am I going to do. I can't use Swap Magic since I still have an old PS2. Thats such a hassle.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yeah, go ahead Travis man. Tell us what you know. It shouldn't be a problem. <_<

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I can't use Swap Magic since I still have an old PS2.

Isn't Swap Magic meant to be used with an old Fat PS2 because you can do the swap trick? Slim PS2's do it differently because it has a flip top.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Isn't Swap Magic meant to be used with an old Fat PS2 because you can do the swap trick? Slim PS2's do it differently because it has a flip top.

Its for both. But its a huge pain in the ass to install the flip-top onto the fat PS2 and you can risk breaking it and such. (Someone mentioned a knife being involved? Yeah...knifes and game systems don't mix well in my mind.) If you have a slim PS2 then its super easy.

TRAViS

TRAViS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Its for both. But its a huge pain in the ass to install the flip-top onto the fat PS2 and you can risk breaking it and such. (Someone mentioned a knife being involved? Yeah...knifes and game systems don't mix well in my mind.) If you have a slim PS2 then its super easy.

Flip-tops are actually tons safer than the knife/slide-card method since you don't need to jam foreign objects into the disc drive. I'm working on a guide that explains a lot of this stuff that I'll be posting later on, and probably periodically updating with images n stuff.

A slide-card is used to guide the white pin that activates/deactivates the disc drive lock from one position to the other. With it unlocked, manually, you can take the disc out and the PS2 will never know you did, since it looks for the eject-button push before it does anything. Ah Sony and their quick-fix-everything-evers. The slim PS2s are dead easy since you just need to tape the door lock in, similar to what you'd do with a Saturn swap method.

EDIT: Oh right I promised to post impressions and things of that nature today. I don't think that'll happen until my school/work schedule decides to not kill me every day of the month.

Envy

Envy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

It was actually very tricky. I might make a thread soon detailing how I did it, but in its most basic form...I used Action Replay to copy a hacked PS2 system data file to my memory card that causes a buffer overflow when a PS1 game of your choosing is inserted, allowing you to inject and run homebrew code once the system internally "resets" itself. The homebrew code I chose to run (CogSwap) allows you to play backups or imports since it overrides the region-locked and signed Sony code on any PS2 game.

Personally? I would recommend Swap Magic if you don't already own an Action Replay MAX or EVO. It's a tad cheaper shipped, far easier to use for beginners, and has a higher compatibility rate. I did the Action Replay way because I had all the source materials beforehand. I just didn't want to wait and I'm pretty adept with this kind of stuff so I ran out and got the AR MAX. Gamesharks tend to not work with this. If you have one of the OLD Gameshark2 discs (v1 or v2) you can use it as if it were a swap magic disc, making life really easy. But these are hard to find.

I won't post links to tutorials or hacked saves for fear of breaking forum policy. No PMs please. If I get the OK from a moderator or admin I'll start a thread about it.

Whoa... yeah, I'll just be buying the swap magic. ^_^ I need something that's not too complicated to use.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Flip-tops are actually tons safer than the knife/slide-card method since you don't need to jam foreign objects into the disc drive. I'm working on a guide that explains a lot of this stuff that I'll be posting later on, and probably periodically updating with images n stuff.

A slide-card is used to guide the white pin that activates/deactivates the disc drive lock from one position to the other. With it unlocked, manually, you can take the disc out and the PS2 will never know you did, since it looks for the eject-button push before it does anything. Ah Sony and their quick-fix-everything-evers. The slim PS2s are dead easy since you just need to tape the door lock in, similar to what you'd do with a Saturn swap method.

EDIT: Oh right I promised to post impressions and things of that nature today. I don't think that'll happen until my school/work schedule decides to not kill me every day of the month.

I thought putting the flip-top into an old PS2 required a lot of work and disassembly as well though?
Oh thank god! I will be eternally grateful if you make that topic. Someone mentioned how I could use my code breaker to make my memory card a mod chip of sorts but I am a bit...worried about that.

Wait there a way to do that to the Saturn too without Action Replay? That I did not know.

TRAViS

TRAViS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
http://www.nightsint...?showtopic=2710

Go nuts. I'm gonna go play NiGHTS now. Peace.

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Woah, woah, WOAH! STOP THE PRESSES! MORE SECRETS FOR NiD PS2!!!!1

http://nights.sega.j...et/secret2.html

scroll to the bottom, the kids are in swimwear! AND claris is in splash garden!?!?!?!?!?! must, understand....Japanese to do this !

UPDATE! Currently Elliot is in his swimwear automatically...now to find out about Claris...

UPDATE! Claris HAS TO be on the date July 20, as it is 'day of the sea'

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

http://www.nightsintodreams.com/forum//ind...?showtopic=2710

Go nuts. I'm gonna go play NiGHTS now. Peace.

I will check it out right away!

Woah, woah, WOAH! STOP THE PRESSES! MORE SECRETS FOR NiD PS2!!!!1

http://nights.sega.j...et/secret2.html

scroll to the bottom, the kids are in swimwear! AND claris is in splash garden!?!?!?!?!?! must, understand....Japanese to do this !

UPDATE! Currently Elliot is in his swimwear automatically...now to find out about Claris...

UPDATE! Claris HAS TO be on the date July 20, as it is 'day of the sea'

What the heck?! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users