Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS into Dreams for PS2

• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
It would be a good investment, Wocko. They're cheap and it would be worth it to get this. ^_^

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

I'm kinda thinking of getting a used PS2 from EBGames and chipping it so I can get my hands on this. As well as Sega Superstars + eyetoy.

Doo it 8D.

There's a lot of good games on the PS2, and used PS2s aren't too expensive.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
The only problem I can think of is there's a lot of complaints about the slim and thats just about all that you can find nowadays. But I have a slim that I got used and I haven't had any problems with it. And its gone through hell, believe me. XD

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

The only problem I can think of is there's a lot of complaints about the slim and thats just about all that you can find nowadays. But I have a slim that I got used and I haven't had any problems with it. And its gone through hell, believe me. XD

XDD;.

I have a slim as well. Bought it after my thick one just blew up on me. Never had a problem with it XD!

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
The only thing wrong with my slim is that I can't close the disk cover anymore without putting something on top of it. It's not Sony's fault. I made a bad mistake by putting it in a bad area. I also tried standing it up without the support circle thingy you could by seperately.

Alurker

Alurker

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Does it strike anyone odd that the screenshots are all in english, even where they shouldn't be? As in pressing triangle goes to "Dream Data"?

Sega is acting very suspicious.

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
I've never played the original game (and my house cannot take another game console at the moment) so i think NiGHTS into Dreams for the PS2 is an okay thing...well, for me at least. I just hope it works on a PS3 (i got one ages ago but it so sucks; i only use it to play Okami)...

wocko

wocko

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I've never played the original game (and my house cannot take another game console at the moment) so i think NiGHTS into Dreams for the PS2 is an okay thing...well, for me at least. I just hope it works on a PS3 (i got one ages ago but it so sucks; i only use it to play Okami)...

As long as you have a 20GB, 60GB or an 80GB PS3, you should be alright (as long as you can find a way to play Japanese games).

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Does it strike anyone odd that the screenshots are all in english, even where they shouldn't be? As in pressing triangle goes to "Dream Data"?

That's the main reason I now believe (rather than suspect) that this is coming to at least some English-speaking countries. Of course, I could be wrong; I haven't seen enough about Japanese games online to know whether or not they have a propensity to putting certain aspects of games in English to give their children more of a reason to learn the language. ^^;

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

I know for a fact that some Japanese games have a lot of English in them, so this didn't strike me as too suspicious... but now that I thought about it... yes... very suspicious << >>.

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

As long as you have a 20GB, 60GB or an 80GB PS3, you should be alright (as long as you can find a way to play Japanese games).

The PS3 is completely region-free, right? But can you play Japan-only PS2 games for it? Is it completely region-free, even the backwards-compatible PS2 games?

Oh, well. Not like I'll be buying this game for PS2 anyway.

Edit: It is not region-free for PS2 games. Just looked it up.

Guest_DreamWeaver_*

Guest_DreamWeaver_*
  • Guests

Bad things i can think of.... why not PS3? Why release on an old console? I mean i know the PS3 plays old games (which is great) but.... hmm something doesn't feel great. Why only japan? Once again the west is being screwed out of something we want. It would sell or bode better on the Wii along with JoD. If they released it as a bonus pack (optional extra disc) for a higher price along with JoD, it would make so much cash. They claim it cant be done on the V.C because of 'technical' reasons... utter rubbish lol... that's why I've seen it run on an Xbox :|
Eitherway, i'll be importing it. Then screaming at Sega to release it here. There's logic in there.

Also now they're saying that the Saturn version is in it too. As I said before, why not VC?!?!? Someone please explain!

CrazyInABottle

CrazyInABottle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
The original version could be in too? Didn't they say it would be hard to port? Wasn't the PS2 the weakest of the three consoles last gen? Now I really don't see why they wouldn't put this on VC or at least have a Wii version. Why must Sega be so confusing?

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
It's the original graphics that're being used; they've had to recode the entire thing from the bottom up, but they don't necessarily need to redo the graphics - just recode them so they'll work on the PS2. The new graphics were probably made to make it sell better to the newbies of NiGHTS, and the old graphics were given as an option for nostalgia junkies. ^^; *is probably a nostalgia junkie herself and, should this come to America, will most certainly try out the old-style graphics option at least once*

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Also now they're saying that the Saturn version is in it too. As I said before, why not VC?!?!? Someone please explain!

Again, money.

More people will see it advertised and while walking in a store than randomly in VC.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

It's the original graphics that're being used; they've had to recode the entire thing from the bottom up, but they don't necessarily need to redo the graphics - just recode them so they'll work on the PS2. The new graphics were probably made to make it sell better to the newbies of NiGHTS, and the old graphics were given as an option for nostalgia junkies. ^^; *is probably a nostalgia junkie herself and, should this come to America, will most certainly try out the old-style graphics option at least once*

Qouted for truth? Possibly :) I know I'll be playing the old graphics more though. Just to make it feel a little bit right.

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
I'll be comparing the original with the ps2 one soo much! I'll be sooo fun! I can't wait! *loves finding the differences*

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

I'll be comparing the original with the ps2 one soo much! I'll be sooo fun! I can't wait! *loves finding the differences*

Yeah ^___^.

I'm guessing they'll have the 'pians 2-D, right :)?

Guest_DreamWeaver_*

Guest_DreamWeaver_*
  • Guests

Yeah ^___^.

I'm guessing they'll have the 'pians 2-D, right :)?

I don't think so. They've redone the Minions in 3D by the looks of it so the Pians will probably be 3D too.
And how can they rebuild the original? Didn't the Saturn render 3D images in quadrilatrals? Can the PS2 do that? It's how they made Puffy look like a perfect sphere, and the ground go all warpy in Soft Museum. Squares instead of triangles.

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
At GoNintendo, they have posted another interview with Iizuka. Here is a brief breakdown:

Iizuka explains why they have not released a sequel until the Wii came out...again.

Then he goes and explains why NiGHTS is so different from any other action game.

He then says that he will not put the remade original into Journey of Dreams

He then goes into some other things, like how he loves the myriad control options for Wii, and that the GC controller is the closest to the original Saturn analog controller.

He is asked about the length of the game, and says that there are many more missions in the game and that there is a ton more to get into after you have cleared the game the first time.

After that, they get into the Weather feature and say that Nintendo really helped them out in this regard. Good news.

Then they wrap up the interview with a few of the questions common to any interview, except that Iizuka says that the game will release in early 2008...in Europe. He seems to suggest that the game will release globally, but he does not say that the global release will be near-simultaneous. Still, it is interesting.

Here is a link to the interview.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Thanks Drannore!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
As far as he knows? ........ Wait, hold on a bloody f-ucking second. Iizuka is in an interview and they ask him "when's the release date?" and he says "As far as i know..." ............ well that'd better be pretty bloody far, Iizuka or god help you if you don't know when your own game is releasing. >:[

So, he says it's 2008 in Europe...but then goes onto to talk about a 'gobal connection'. Hmmmmmm. *strokes recently shaven beard*

Other than that, thanks for gettin this interview to us. Most interesting indeed.

--edit--
*reread*
Oh, what?? The game is made by a bunch of NiGHTS fans? I highly bloody doubt it, Iizuka. I don't think any NiGHTS fan in their right mind would want this game released with those platforming sections looking as out of place as they already are.

Sa-chan

Sa-chan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Well actually, I’ve always wanted to create the sequel to NiGHTS but during the past 10 years I’ve been primarily focused on continuing the legacy of the Sonic franchise by creating games like Sonic Adventure, Sonic Battle and Sonic Heroes. Now that the franchise is running strong, I’ve been granted the chance to create JoD and I thought the Wii being a family-oriented platform was a perfect match for NiGHTS.

I’ve been primarily focused on continuing the legacy of the Sonic franchise by creating games like Sonic Adventure, Sonic Battle and Sonic Heroes. Now that the franchise is running strong, I’ve been granted the chance to create JoD

the franchise is running strong

Clearly, Iizuka has been horribly misinformed. D:

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Oh, what?? The game is made by a bunch of NiGHTS fans? I highly bloody doubt it, Iizuka.

Hey hang on, just because they want to vary the game play in ways to appeal to new audiences and make the game more successful doesn't mean they're not fans of the game. It looks like the majority of the stuff we've been shown has kept really true to the spirit of the original while changing stuff up for a fresh new take for a new audience and gaming climate. Different strokes for different folks, I bet there's a tonne of Nights fans who would want a tonne of super-plotty RPG elements in it (that many others would think don't belong) as well. Not every Nights fan would want JoD to be identical in gameplay to the original. After all, we have the remake for that. The platform bits really don't look THAT bad.

And as for Izuka not knowing when the game comes out, that actually doesn't surprise me. The amount of beurocracy that ends up in these things, often the creatives end up knowing far less about what it going on with things than you would expect. Especially when you're juggling the release dates of at least 3 different territories with (most likely) different versions for each. It's his game but he's far from in control of every element of it, I think saying 'as far as I know' is pretty good covering his back because you never know where a delay will crop up from in such a massive project, be it in programming, distribution or whatever. :)

Re: The Sonic Franchise... god, I can't defend that with anything other than 'well, it's making money, anyway.' XD

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Personaly, i just feel that what we keep hearing from our 'people' on the inside give us a little less to smile about sometimes, that's all. I can't say as much as i want to because i will land people in trouble but...it ain't all roses. I don't think Sega have given this game enough time. Slightly over a year to make a game that fans have waited 11 years for. For such a dedicated fanbase, we deserve a bit better standard on that behalf. At the end of the day, if they are fans then they're fans who made it. We're the fans who've recieved it and kept it going for over a decade while the people who made it went on and did other things. We're in a different boat to them. Yes, a small handful of newbie fans would like to chuck in a bundle of RPG elements because they don't know any better....but the real fans know what makes a good NiGHTS game because me and Lynne have seen their comments when we asked for everyone to come together for the Sega Project.

Trust me on this one when i say things could be so much better. Yes, my previous post flew off the handle a tad...but i'm far from wrong.
And, yes. The platform bits do look bad. From a quote i heard recently 'the platforming sections make Sonic360 look like Mario Galaxy'.

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I just get wary whenever the 'real fan' idea gets thrown around, y'know?

I'm not sure we 'deserve' anything as fans of the games. It would be great if the game could please everything, though I really don't expect it to be god's gift to the Wii either. I'm not saying people need to lower their standards or whatever, but if you demand perfection you're going to be disappointed. The Wii hasn't been around that long so there's still a lot to be learnt about making really great games for it. (If you want an example of that I mean, look at some of the first games for the ps2 and the ones that have come out late in it's lifespan. Like, say, ICO vs Shadow of the Colossus. Both by the same guys, both good, but the later is better and uses the hardware and controls much more effectively.)

Not to mention, this is still a risky title. The fan-base is not as big as it seems. And off the bat it's not got universal appeal. Yeah, it would be great if they could spend years and years and years on it and throw all the money they've got at it but they're not going to because the chances are they just wouldn't get the returns they'd need to make that viable. At the end of the day, they're a buisness, and they're not going to want to bancrupt themselves over a game just because the fanbase really love it.

So sadly, it's not going to be perfect. As cool as Nights is, if you put it on THAT much of a pedestal, it's going to wind up being disappointing because there's no way it's realistically going to live up to the game you want it to be. Look for the good bits in it and take the crap bits in your stride. Even some of the best games ever have a few rubbish elements to them. :)

But, okay, if the platforming DOES handle as badly as all that, that's a bit worrying. I don't think they're out of place in the game, but if they're badly done, they're badly done. But frankly that's what I'd expect from Sega nowadays. It's sad but it's true.

(This is coming from the perspective of someone who has had their favourite old franchise remade (Sam and Max) and been unable to play the new ones, but disappointed by what she's seen with it being not quite right. It sucks, but it happens. We just have to enjoy the stuff for what we're getting.)

I dunno, I'm not saying don't criticise it, just you seem to take it a bit personally. But then, you have invested a lot in this. At the end of the day, it's still a game.

boon

boon

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well, the last two Sonic games that he produced, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, both sold over 1 million worldwide. Sonic and the Secret Rings Is currently over 760,000, and well on it's way to becoming Sonic's next million seller.

I'd say the franchise is running strong, as far as sales are concerned.

I honestly don't see how NiGHTS could be much better. The only real blemish has been that platform bits, which according to Niraven make up a pretty small part of the game anyway. The game is staying faithful to what the franchise has always been about. It's running smoothly and cleaningly in the latest videos. The art style and graphics are magnificent, as is the music, which is again very true to what the original game was. I don't see how the game could get much better.

It's a shame that development's been so rough, Digi....but isn't the final product still looking pretty good?

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
You know guys, i have such an updown time with this game. One minute i have people involved with the game telling me parts of it is worse than hitler then i see stuff that makes me happy and hopeful, then uhh... yeah, then i hear bad good bad good. Its total ups and downs. There's things in jod i hate but an equal amount i love. I really really want to be positive about this game.

Its a mind fluck.

boon

boon

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
lol, I suppose you can't tell else what you've heard that you hate, right? XD

Aw well.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Trust me it's frustrating.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Only reason i take it personaly is because i'm in a position that only one other person is in right now and that's TRiP.
We're sitting on the fence, here. While fans get fed interviews and screenshots that make the game look amazing, we're also in direct contact to some people who are on the other side of the fence, seeing it first hand and telling us other stuff. It's a little difficult sometimes being the admin here. On one side, you just wanna sit back and enjoy the news you hear in magazines and websites....but we're also the people who hear the stuff that we're not supposed to hear about.
On that aspect, i'm very much in my own boat with Lynne and if we have ever ranted, got annoyed or generally did crazy sh!t to get Sega to listen to us, it's only been because we've heard something that would really ruin things. You wait 11 years. If i had to put money into it to see that NiGHTS at least comes out looking as close to perfection as possible then that's my goal. I never said i wanted it to be perfect. Far from it, infact. NiD was not perfect either. What i am saying is with the amount of time we've had to wait for something, it would be nice for it be as good as it possibly can be. And the stuff we keep hearing that doesn't get mentioned on the websites is showing that this game isn't as good as it could be, at least not for a fanbase that has waited as long as this.

And, sure, 'it's still a game'. But this game helped a lot of people, including me. Because of that, we tend to respect NiGHTS alot and do not want to see him ruined. It means a lot to me personaly. It means a lot to other people personaly, too. That is all.

boon

boon

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Aye, I understand. I'm rather new to NiGHTS, only got it in 2005. It's my second favorite game of all time, but I'm not as attatched to to it as a lot of other people here probably are. I just hope there isn't anything that hasn't been shown, that is game crippling. Because honestly, what has been shown looks incredible...

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I know where you're coming from.

(And I know you don't expect Sega's publicity guys to go 'Hey general public, some bits of our game aren't very good! YAY!' because lets face it, that would be pretty daft of them.)

I can see it must be a frustrating position to be in. And yeah, it would be nice for the game to be as good as it can be, and I think it probably WILL be, just what it realistically can be is a few steps down from what it theoretically can be, the industry considered and all.

I think the thing is, is that while it would be really frustrating to wait 11 years and then be given a sub par product... it's not actually going to ruin Nights. You'll always have the original, and what it did for you, and no new game can take that away. Sonic 360 does not ruin Sonic 3 and Knuckles for example. The franchise might be a little tarnished, but the important bits, the actual games and the players, they're still the same, and we can look back at the good old stuff and still love it up.

Even if it turned out all the screen shots were an elaborate ruse JoD was actually Grand theft auto with a sprite swap, it still wouldn't be able to 'ruin Nights'. It's just be a slightly crappy sequel, and every industry is full of those. :)

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Okay, come out with it. Can William and Helen pick up guns and go drive-by shooting on enemies in this game? Do you constantly careen into bottomless pits because of overly narrow level design? What about load times after each dialogue box? Iblis Trigger?

Sure, the platform bits look boring, but that's a huge step up from the utter frustration that is the 3D Sonic games. I'd rather be just plain bored than frustrated to the point of throwing my controller. Besides, as long as we have the fun NiGHTS gameplay, platforming sections can be damned.

Unless there's something else besides that platforming sections that lurk in the darkness. Oh god, does Reala sound like Richard Simmons now? As if that mask wasn't enough. :)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Maybe we should come up with a list of the worst things we could think of that may actually be in the game, and then whatever doesn't happen will make us feel all the much better.

Like, JoD is merely the figment of Bob Newhart's imagination.

I keed.

Srsly though.. What DiGi and TRiP are hiding sounds ominous :unsure:

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
I understand well what you mean KiloTango. NiGHTS really is just a game. Sure it helps some people out in life but it's still a game created by people just like me and you. It felt bad to admit that but what's true is true. But I will also have to agree with DiGi because he does make a very good point. People have been waiting forever for a sequel. It's been years and after such a long time we don't want to pop in that disc and the first words that come out of our mouths are "What the f*** is this?" I also understand about the don't expect perfection or you'll be dissapointed but it would suck to have waited so long for something people desperately wished for on the Dreamcast just to have wasted their time when they could have been doing something else or waited for something else(like Metal Gear Solid 4 :D)

Okay, come out with it. Can William and Helen pick up guns and go drive-by shooting on enemies in this game?

Yes they can. Also it's been confirmed that there will be friendships and fatalities as well as hentai. :ph34r:

Srsly though.. What DiGi and TRiP are hiding sounds ominous :unsure:

It sure is but ya know it might be best we don't find out until the time is right. We don't want these forums turning to massive panic.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Getting this thread back on topic again, i was discussing/betting with DiG' what the ??????? section will be in the PS2 version and i still think its Christmas NiGHTS (or just the Nightopian Collection)

OH OH

LOL remember Sonic Gems?

WHAT IF ITS THE ARCHIE COMICS XD

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
*Thinks there should be a 'What's the worst that can happen' topic.*

Oh god the Archie Comics...

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Might as well be Christmas NiGHTS.. I mean, come on.. even old school fans haven't all gotten to play that yet.

*points to self.*

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Might as well be Christmas NiGHTS.. I mean, come on.. even old school fans haven't all gotten to play that yet.

*points to self.*

Or the other way around.

*points to-- wait my cousin had it played it like that nevermind :S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users