Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS Saturn 40% Beta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
176 replies to this topic

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Wohoo! I'll happily do it, it's the least we can do ^_^ :D :D TRAViS thank you!

Bonzi77

Bonzi77

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Yay Travis!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Just pasting what i said on the previous page just so some people don't miss this post. ^_^
-------------
Ok people. TRAViS has just told me he's going to go for it and buy it. So, this community is about to own the Beta version of NiGHTS into Dreams, something we've dreamed of seeing for over a decade now.

I think, to say thank you for TRAViS doing this for us, we should help pay him back some of the cash. I noticed some of you were going to pool money together but TRAViS decided to go it alone because it may have been too much trouble to get that all sorted out in time to reach the deadline. So, if you were going to put some money towards the Beta, instead put your money towards TRAViS. I think it will be a nice way to help say thanks to him.

Once the game is in TRAViS' hands and it's all in working order, TRAV can give us his paypal account details and we'll donate some money to him.
I think it's fair. TRAV was going to buy this for the community anyway. His entire savings is going on this so i think, as a fanbase, we should help pay him back. TRAV may own the disc but he's doing this for the fanbase and he's promised me to provide us with everything he finds and i trust him.

So, can we have some of that community spirit up in here and help get some of Trav's money back to him, yeah? I don't even have much money left but i'm still gonna send some money his way, too. smile.gif

Encore to TRAViS. Thank you for doing this, man.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Jeez, nice goin' there TRAV, Sai'll definatly be throwing some cash your way if you drop us a paypal address.

Hime Blue

Hime Blue

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just...<br /><br />don't ask and it might be better for you. Might be better not to know...
Good for you, TRAViS! This is an excellent day for the NiGHTS community in general.

Now, to scrounge up money. *rummages in desk drawers*

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
What about the other Beta? No one is going to buy it?

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

Just pasting what i said on the previous page just so some people don't miss this post. ^_^
-------------
Ok people. TRAViS has just told me he's going to go for it and buy it. So, this community is about to own the Beta version of NiGHTS into Dreams, something we've dreamed of seeing for over a decade now.

I think, to say thank you for TRAViS doing this for us, we should help pay him back some of the cash. I noticed some of you were going to pool money together but TRAViS decided to go it alone because it may have been too much trouble to get that all sorted out in time to reach the deadline. So, if you were going to put some money towards the Beta, instead put your money towards TRAViS. I think it will be a nice way to help say thanks to him.

Once the game is in TRAViS' hands and it's all in working order, TRAV can give us his paypal account details and we'll donate some money to him.
I think it's fair. TRAV was going to buy this for the community anyway. His entire savings is going on this so i think, as a fanbase, we should help pay him back. TRAV may own the disc but he's doing this for the fanbase and he's promised me to provide us with everything he finds and i trust him.

So, can we have some of that community spirit up in here and help get some of Trav's money back to him, yeah? I don't even have much money left but i'm still gonna send some money his way, too. smile.gif

How about putting up a section on the main site for this and something where we can click to pay him?
(That is when he gives the information to his paypal.)

I mean I can't help at the moment because of lack of money and a job for that matter but I would like to help in the future.
That and doing something like this for the community is really brave.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

What about the other Beta? No one is going to buy it?

There's no point. It's a near complete version of the original game and it's hardly going to have anything in there when compared to this Beta (probably).
I would rather help pay TRAV off for his effort tonight than put some money towards another disc that will most probably contain less than what TRAV is about to purchase.

Also, we will probably do that Ekairi. We'll get some funds together now for him, then when he starts sending us stuff to show us of the Beta we can make a page about it and can have a link to donate money to him, too. ^_^

Exploding-Man

Exploding-Man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Well its less there is no point and more that we are scraping the bottom for money for this one so it is a better gamble than the other for finding nifty stuff.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

So, can we have some of that community spirit up in here and help get some of Trav's money back to him, yeah? I don't even have much money left but i'm still gonna send some money his way, too. ^_^

It really is like a dream come true. I can't believe this is happening.

The transaction is taking place tomorrow afternoon once I get the cash into my debit account. It's going to drx who's then going to send it my way.

It feels really good having finally given something back to the community. I may not have been here very long but I was determined to leave my mark. This will most definitely be it. As DiGi said, this is going to be tough for me to foot and any amount of money that can come my way after tomorrow will be much appreciated. I'll give out the details once everything's cleared.

I can't wait for this. This is surreal.

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

It really is like a dream come true. I can't believe this is happening.

The transaction is taking place tomorrow afternoon once I get the cash into my debit account. It's going to drx who's then going to send it my way.

It feels really good having finally given something back to the community. I may not have been here very long but I was determined to leave my mark. This will most definitely be it. As DiGi said, this is going to be tough for me to foot and any amount of money that can come my way after tomorrow will be much appreciated. I'll give out the details once everything's cleared.

I can't wait for this. This is surreal.

I can't wait to hear all about what it contains. :D (Thank you)
(Other than what we already know.)

drx

drx

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This is great. If everything works, we will have preserved a truly one-of-a-kind gem. Kudos to TRAViS!

I'm glad I signed up on this forum :)

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
I think everyone bar TRAViS's wallet is glad you joined! XD

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
Thanks TRAViS 8DDD. I gonna have to rape you now >: *SHOTSHOTSHOT*.

I do hope there's something about Selph in there... and that it's legitimate. At least we find something new 8D!

Although, I do have to agree with what Yami said above. XD; I did have the money for it, but I didn't say anything because I wouldn't be able to get the money out of the bank in-time (Some wacky interest thing where I'd get penalized), so therefore I didn't want a lot of people getting mad at me about it >8[. It's money more for other things, anyway. Like a house.

Ooh.. XD I'm getting like a little fanboy now. Hell, I'm getting like a little fangirl 8DD *Fangirl squee* *SHOT*.

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

Thanks TRAViS 8DDD. I gonna have to rape you now >: *SHOTSHOTSHOT*.

I do hope there's something about Selph in there... and that it's legitimate. At least we find something new 8D!

Although, I do have to agree with what Yami said above. XD; I did have the money for it, but I didn't say anything because I wouldn't be able to get the money out of the bank in-time (Some wacky interest thing where I'd get penalized), so therefore I didn't want a lot of people getting mad at me about it >8[. It's money more for other things, anyway. Like a house.

I was hoping it had something that would clear up the information about Selph too.

I feel obliged to help refill TRAViS's wallet.
I mean like not only is this something he is doing that is really generous but that is a hell of a lot of money. (I don't even have close to that much in my bank. X_X Then again I'm poor...))

Sa-chan

Sa-chan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
TRAViS, you are a hero. You shall go down in fanbase history. Yes. <8D
I'll do what I can to help pay you back.

Xenon

Xenon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Automotive, Anime, Video Games in general, Drawing, Driving, Bowling, Snowboarding, other such funstuffs ^.^
HOO-WAH!!! *glomps TRAViS*

I knew you would do it man X3

*makes note to help repay TRAViS*

I can't wait to see what's gonna be on this disc.... X3 *fansquee*

TheLostSkeleton

TheLostSkeleton

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys - first post here. Registered here... couple months ago? Never posted until now.

Skimmed most of the thread.

To those of you who are saying this may not be worth it and that it may not even work - of course it'll work. 40% would generally mean that most of the core gameplay is probably there (how NiGHTS controls, etc.) and probably early versions of most if not all the levels. Game design basically works like this:

Stage 1: Design document and conceptual. This is where gameplay, drawings of characters and levels are all planned out ahead of time. Almost everything is planned at this stage - bosses, their attack patterns, enemies, and how the game will look and play, down to the finest details. A good example of detailed game concept art can be found at Chris Senn's Sonic X-treme website.

Stage 2: Engine development. A test level (or test levels) are created in order to help develop the engine based on the concepts presented in the design document. This is called an Alpha. There's basically no game at this point, just an engine.

Stage 3: Once the engine is to a point where most of the features have been written, content production begins. Textures, enemies, models, levels... all begin production in large volume. Most places don't just work on one level at a time, either - depending on the size of the development team, three or more levels can be in production at any given time. This is most likely especially true on a short, somewhat simple game like NiGHTS.

Stage 4: Content creation winds down and by now, most of the concepts from Stage 1 have been transfered in to the game. Everything is tweaked and polished and obsessively tested to make sure it's fun and works properly. I've heard it's this process that usually makes up the bulk of a game's development time and that Stages 1-3 are actually the shortest and easiest parts of making a game. This stage in game development is called a Beta. Hence the widely-used term "Beta Testing". Usually, when you first see a game in a magazine or on a website, you see it at the tail-end of Alpha or the very beginning of Beta.

Stage 5: With the game properly tested and all of the biggest, nastiest bugs corrected, the game is finalized and "goes gold". Packaging is finalized, the manual is finalized, the discs enter mass production and are shipped to stores.

In most terms, "40%" doesn't sound like a lot - but in videogame terms it means that a considerable portion of the game is probably playable (just not finished) - we'll potentially end up getting a tantalizing (but buggy!) peek at lost levels, enemies, and who knows what else that was cut from the game before it hit retail shelves.

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
This is awesome! Omg, I don't have words to say right now!

Squeeeeeeee! :D

Although I have to wait until next paycheck to donate. D:

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Whoo! Way to go TRAViS! :D Congrats on making your mark, we won't forget you for this! :3 I work for the bank, and I know how big an investment this is. Going by TheLostSkeleton's post, I'm betting this baby's gonna be worth it, and we'll do everything we can to pay you back!

Can I get a chorus of fansquees, dreamers? YEEEE!!

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
TRAAAAAAAViiiiiiSSSSS!!!!! YOU ARE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF MY TUNNEL! (That is a really good thing)

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Whoo! Way to go TRAViS! :D Congrats on making your mark, we won't forget you for this! :3 I work for the bank, and I know how big an investment this is. Going by TheLostSkeleton's post, I'm betting this baby's gonna be worth it, and we'll do everything we can to pay you back!

Can I get a chorus of fansquees, dreamers? YEEEE!!

YEEEEE! :D

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

we'll potentially end up getting a tantalizing (but buggy!) peek at lost levels, enemies, and who knows what else that was cut from the game before it hit retail shelves.

Why'll what you've said is true, I think it's also important that people don't raise their hopes too high over this. There is a strong chance there will be nothing of interest on the disk, so it's probably better if people don't start assuming this the the Holy Grail of NiGHTS fandom.
It still is awesome though, so again, fair f**ks to you, TRAV.

(And remember guys, TRAViS is pretty much always in the chatroom, so head in and give him some love! XD [/shameless plug])

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Tomorrow can't roll around fast enough. I'll be at my bank first thing in the morning after class and I will literally drain my life's savings ($1700 in the account as of right now). It's worth every penny. I'll keep this thread updated on what happens starting tomorrow.

I want to thank drx for coming to the forum with this offer. I want to thank DiGi and TRiPPY for their support behind me this entire time. And I want to thank every last one of you for giving me a reason to get this. If I never found this place I wouldn't be the addict I am today and would've let this slip as if it were nothing.

I'm so glad this is all happening. Soon we're all going to be able to take a look at one of the rarest pieces of software in gaming history.

Exu

Exu

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:This and that
Just as well Travis showed up, because I haven't won the lottery yet. (SOME DAY, CAMELOT!)

I owe you a pint.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Congrats Travis!!!!!!!! That is truly an awesome and super rare find! I will gladly make a paypal donation when the details become available. You must be wired! I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I knew I was getting a beta version. Amazing!!

liquidcross

liquidcross

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Wow. Just...wow. :blink: I can't wait to see this!

Niraven

Niraven

Ninja News Reporter

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Zelda, Sonic, Resident Evil, artwork, photography, cats, dragons, random stuff, games of course

Tomorrow can't roll around fast enough. I'll be at my bank first thing in the morning after class and I will literally drain my life's savings ($1700 in the account as of right now). It's worth every penny. I'll keep this thread updated on what happens starting tomorrow.

I want to thank drx for coming to the forum with this offer. I want to thank DiGi and TRiPPY for their support behind me this entire time. And I want to thank every last one of you for giving me a reason to get this. If I never found this place I wouldn't be the addict I am today and would've let this slip as if it were nothing.

I'm so glad this is all happening. Soon we're all going to be able to take a look at one of the rarest pieces of software in gaming history.

I think we should make a nice ceramic NiGHTS award/trophy and paint it gold and give it to TRAViS, especially after a picturesque speech/thanks like that! Seriously, I mean it!

Tsunami

Tsunami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Ecology, biology, wildlife studies, art (including sculpting, photography, illustration, and animation), video games
TRAViS, you're awesome. The fandom owes you one!

TehLazyOne

TehLazyOne

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:um... not quite sure... collecting nostalgia, NiGHTS, making sculptures... Cartoons.... um... Voice acting... painting models...
    and i'll work up on the rest later....
oh god....

(cries) you have NO IDEA how much it hurts to say that i currently have nothing to contribute...

god i feel so utterly USELESS...

i have soo many money issues, including the shut down on my bank account from somebody hacking into it... im so sorry...

but i swear... when i get the chance... i will help...

Thank you so much TRAViS... (salute)

DethManX

DethManX

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Very sincere thanks to you for stepping up, TRAViS. I'll be sure to donate what I can once the PayPal link is up.

striker0

striker0

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Well this hasn't changed much. Still into video games, anime, and cooking. Gotten into gunpla very heavily in the past couple years, as well as other things.
Oh man Travis, a thousand thank yous! Once my job situation clears up, I'll do my best to pay you back with what I can, regardless if my mom freaks or not :blink: . But as I said, a thousand thank yous. I would kiss you, but I'm not that kinda guy. So perhaps a man hug instead.

Peter

Peter

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Congratulations - this is a most rare find indeed.

Xay

Xay

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Location:Scenic Chavland, United Kindom. Just passed the Burned Cars...
  • Interests:Composing/Writing/Getting Inspired by/Listening AND Criticising music, drawing, reading, comics, cartoon, playing video ga... You get the idea.
I probebly would help TRAViS Refil that Stupidly Big ammount of Cash he has just spent... But i neither have the money (And even if i did it'd be a Measly 20 quid anyway...) Nor i doubt would my Dear Parents let me anyway, considering it'd have to to be THEIR Paypal i'd use... But that aside;

Thank you So Much TRAViS for doing this for the Community. Im quite into Beta's of games myself (I always did find that kind of thing interesting) and the NiGHTS Beta sounds Terriffic!

JadeMare

JadeMare

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OMG

OMGOMGOMGOMG *SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Incredible, absolutely frikkin incredible. PROPS TO TRAViS.

Goddamn, I wish I had something to contribute. T_T I'm completely broke.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
Hmmmm. 40% Beta? I can't imagine that it would be on a Saturn disc. Surely this means that Travis bought an uncopywrited (perfectly legal for use on an emulator) file with incredible amounts of NiGHTS history stored, correct?

Am I the only one who thinks that Travis has earned his own page linked to our main page?

Exploding-Man

Exploding-Man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hmmmm. 40% Beta? I can't imagine that it would be on a Saturn disc. Surely this means that Travis bought an uncopywrited (perfectly legal for use on an emulator) file with incredible amounts of NiGHTS history stored, correct?

Eh, prototypes are a bit of a gray area. Odds are SEGA will not go after anyone's ass for it though. Don't think they busted anyone for the abundant Sonic 2 prototypes ever.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
Dang, you replied quickly.....
It could be a problem considering Sega keeps coming to this site. Last time I checked, the final version is copywrited, everything else is fair game.

Exploding-Man

Exploding-Man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I'm sure if they really wanted to try it there is copyrighted data on the prototype.

But I would go as far to say that SEGA would have to be extra spiteful to actually try it.

drx

drx

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
SEGA owns the copyright for every NiGHTS file, everything worked on during the development, not just the final version. So without SEGA's permission it's technically illegal to distribute that. I have tried getting SEGA to permit me to do stuff like this before (with Sonic prototypes), but my friend at SoA told me it wouldn't be possible.

The disc also is also technically owned by SEGA (as are all prototypes) so I wouldn't brag about a proto (especially a proto like this) in front of SEGA, as they might just sue you and take the prototype from you :blink: Not that it has happened before, but it's a possibility.

That said, there shouldn't be any problems as nobody at SEGA currently cares about old games like this one =P

BTW, aside from being a prototype hunter, I am somewhat skilled in hacking and I know SH2 ASM. I will probably tackle finding hidden stuff in the game once it gets dumped. My question is, is there anyone else here who knows hacking and has hacked NiGHTS before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users