Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Okami series thread

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Okay, as I've already made threads for brilliant, unique games such as Katamari and Shadow of the Colossus, I just gotta make one already for Okami. What a gem of a game. It's hard to accept that it didn't sell, in Japan especially.. It goes to show that there is a very narrow scope in terms of the type of game most people buy. Innovation often gets picked up only by a select few gamers, the ones with the most sophisticated taste. Mm hm. *cough*NiGHTS fans*cough*

Those of you who haven't played it on the PS2 take heart; you'll get to enjoy it on the Wii, which should prove quite excellent in regard to the game's drawing functions. Anyone else who wants to share go ahead; anyone who wants to know more about it feel free to ask.

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition

Anyone else who wants to share go ahead; anyone who wants to know more about it feel free to ask.

The name sounds awfully familiar...I may have played it at one point.
As a result, I have a couple questions:
1 How long ago was it released? 2 What genre is it? 3 Can you possibly give us a quick rundown of the plot? 4 When is it scheduled to be released for Wii, if at all yet? And 5 Will it change much, do you know?

I don't have the time to do a full-blown research session on the game right now, sorry! ^^; I usually do! My apologies for the question load!

I appreciate any help you can offer me with information, thanks! :)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Cool.

1. '06
2. Action Adventure, it's like a platformer.. of sorts
3. You play as a god in the form of a wolf. You have to kill demons and restore the land. A main weapon/tool is a paintbrush that you draw on screen with. Heh, I don't wanna spoil nothin'..
4. Spring '08.
5. I doubt much will change other than the control setup.. but I couldn't say for sure

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okami There you go.

Yes I really did enjoy Okami. I love it so! I want to make a music video for it someday too...if I ever get the equipment. This is one of my faviorite games of all times. The only downside I saw was that it was a bit too easy, even for me! But thats ok, I don't like games being so hard that I want to break my controller anyway.

Anyways, its a shame Clover is gone now though. So that means there will not be a sequal, as far as I know of. I don't know if there ever really was going to be a sequal...but the ending kinda left you hanging and making it seem like there was going to be one. Ah well.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Spoiler

And yeah, you can easily play the whole game without dying once.. but that's also fine by me. The proper strategy yields rewards. Some power ups are hardly necessary even..

Slowdown on the end sequence is fail though.. darn it, they musta stretched the hardware to the limit on that one..

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Augh i remember Okami! I really wanted to buy it when it came out but i never got around to it. It looked so weird and 'new'. Weird games always get me interested. I'll try get it on the Wii some day.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Augh i remember Okami! I really wanted to buy it when it came out but i never got around to it. It looked so weird and 'new'. Weird games always get me interested. I'll try get it on the Wii some day.

You need to play it when you get the chance. I bet it will be really fun on the Wii too. It was such a beautiful and fun game. I couldn't get enough of it. I spent over 80 hours on that game just because I loved running around and looking at everything. :) That and powring myself up and looking for all the secerets on my own far beyond what I needed....ah well.

I remember when I first started playing the game and the words "feed" appeard. I almost thought that meant to eat the animals. "No! I don't want to eat the bunny!" D8

TehLazyOne

TehLazyOne

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:um... not quite sure... collecting nostalgia, NiGHTS, making sculptures... Cartoons.... um... Voice acting... painting models...
    and i'll work up on the rest later....
aww man... such i great game... im ashamed to say that i havent bought it yet...
i played it once, and beat the first place... i think...
after that i stopped playing... ive been doing that alot lately...

ah well... i'll get it for the wii later...

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
maybe Im weird, but I own it for PS2, and plan to also buy the Wii version. I figure you cant have too many versions of this game.

Foofums

Foofums

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, video games, food, dreaming, food, food
I love this gaaame. I've played through it maybe 5-6 times... Issun, you get annoying after a while //_;

I have nothing cool to say, but I had no idea they were actually importing it for the Wii. Heard a lot of people saying they would like it, but I didn't know they were doing it. Awesooome. Looks like I'll be having two copies of this game.

I remember when I first started playing the game and the words "feed" appeard. I almost thought that meant to eat the animals. "No! I don't want to eat the bunny!" D8

Me, too... but I actually wanted to eat the animal :C

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests
I always wanted to play that game but when ever I go to the video and game rental store it would always be gone and theres no where I can buy it at this moment either. >.<

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I thought Okami was easily the best game of last year. Sure the game was easy, but it did so much right. Besides, I think the easy difficulty was balanced by it's large number of side quests and massive length. When I first finished Ithink I clocked in at about 70 hours. Keep in mind I did EVERYTHING. Clover was such a good developer. It's a shame they had to be dissolved.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Right now I got 53 hrs. or so in my main game.. finished it on a different file, got a lot left to do..

Anyone else watch last night's South Park? There looked to be stacks of Okami behind the clerk in the 'EV Games' store XD

apsyd

apsyd

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

-

Sk8teland85

Sk8teland85

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
I played the demo on the PS2 and thought it was great but never got it for some reason. I am going to get it for the Wii though.

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
I rented it, played it... I don't know about you guys, but there were some tight spots that I got into..
Spoiler
... I mean, I knew I didn't have the proper brush technique to elevate... I'm such a loser... *sigh...*

shadow1111111

shadow1111111

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
The news of Okami Wii brought up a stir of emotions. I laughed with joy, I cried with beauty, and I almost wet myself in excitement!

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

I rented it, played it... I don't know about you guys, but there were some tight spots that I got into..

Spoiler
... I mean, I knew I didn't have the proper brush technique to elevate... I'm such a loser... *sigh...*

I also encountered certain areas before I had the powers for that area.. j00 gotta go back and figure out what you missed

It's totally a buy though! It's too long (and good) a game to rent!

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
Okami is awesome! I'm stuck on it at the moment...AGAIN! But it's a beautiful game and lots of fun none the less.

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
One of my main thoughts on playing Okami was "This is utterly awesome but why the hell isn't it on the Wii?", so I'm really glad it's getting a port. It's a beautiful little game, and just really uplifting to play.

It's a huge shame there isn't a sequel. I would have loved to play it.

Madfish

Madfish

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:RPG's, Fanfiction, Sleeping, cartoons and comic

One of my main thoughts on playing Okami was "This is utterly awesome but why the hell isn't it on the Wii?", so I'm really glad it's getting a port. It's a beautiful little game, and just really uplifting to play.

It's a huge shame there isn't a sequel. I would have loved to play it.

It is beautiful isn't it? The only thing I missed was the 99th bead, because I forgot to save after I went back to get it (Stupid Fishie....)

What are people's favourite Karmic Transformers? I like the last and the one that makes you look like Shiranu : )

----------------

"The rustle of soft, quiet paws
departing, although it will grieve me.
The moment finally has come
when you will eventually leave me."

- From 'Wolves' by Chama

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I was a big fan of combining the swords with the beads, because you could kick amazing amounts of ass that way.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Still working on the Stray Beads.. I want the Shiranui Karmic Transformer.. Shiranui form is win

Crap.. now I'm concerned I'll get screwed out of some bead that you can't get past a certain point

Like how in Prince of Persia 2 if you want the Water Sword and crap you have to start over if you missed certain health-ups..

Madfish

Madfish

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Still working on the Stray Beads.. I want the Shiranui Karmic Transformer.. Shiranui form is win

It is : )

Though I still like the realistic one just as much : )

I felt kinda sad when it was over though... I feel that way with all my fav games though this, Grandia 2, FFIX and X...

-------------

"The rustle of soft, quiet paws
departing, although it will grieve me.
The moment finally has come
when you will eventually leave me.

- From 'Wolves' by Chama

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Gah, gah I didnt hear itagagag *headkillsspoileraboutkarmic*

One thing though- is it highly recommended to play through the whole game twice? right now I'm going for some beads n such on my first file, while i have all areas.. getting more done before i decide to continue a second game

Madfish

Madfish

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Gah, gah I didnt hear itagagag *headkillsspoileraboutkarmic*

One thing though- is it highly recommended to play through the whole game twice? right now I'm going for some beads n such on my first file, while i have all areas.. getting more done before i decide to continue a second game

I think it's mostly to give you a chance at getting anything you missed (
Spoiler
) or wanted to do again but better/faster or for the fun of it like those ruddy trained canine warriors....

I got everything on my first run through though Blossom ranked everything (that did surprise me)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
K.. guess I'll just keep on truckin' and if I get crazy on trying to find things, I'll beat the crap out of Yami again and move on..

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
This just in: Okami for Wii is currently scheduled for March 25th. Be there!

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Okami is one of the only games that dared copy liberally from Zelda, get away with it, and be great at the same time. The graphics are stunning, and I am looking forward to this, but I have seen the combat system, with the circle, and have heard bad things about it.

Zero Hakaru

Zero Hakaru

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I LOOOOOOVE this game.

So much that I'm the one who created the AmmyxIssun community on fanfiction.net. As well as coin the term "Ammun"

... one of my many fanboy/nerd accomplishments. >>;;

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Okami is one of the only games that dared copy liberally from Zelda, get away with it, and be great at the same time. The graphics are stunning, and I am looking forward to this, but I have seen the combat system, with the circle, and have heard bad things about it.

Perhaps sometimes you might have to take a few swipes before you get it right, but it's nothing major. It's a great game.

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
The only thing that makes it strange is that I always take auto-lock for granted, and it will be OK, just need a bit getting used to. Thanks for the reassurance.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
BUMP: Okami for the Wii has been pushed to April 15th.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
OMG?- http://www.1up.com/d...ory?cId=3175844

But I don't got money for a DS! PS3 please!

-bret-

-bret-

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

But I don't got money for a DS! PS3 please!

OH, THE IRONY! D: I lol'd. Passionately.

I don't own either, but Okami was begging to have a game on the DS, be it a port or a sequel. Awesome news.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
When I heard about the sequel I was initially happy, but it didn't last for long. Call me a pessimist, but without being on a home console and without brilliant people like Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games (formerly Clover) at the helm of development, this sequel will not be as engrossing or visually stunning as its predecessor. Maybe it's because I hold Okami in monstrously high regard, but this is not the kind of sequel that game deserved.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

OH, THE IRONY! D: I lol'd. Passionately.

I don't own either, but Okami was begging to have a game on the DS, be it a port or a sequel. Awesome news.

lol I know.. but it's all about the games. Believe me, my wallet smarted big time. If it weren't for SFIV I may have just picked one up now, what with the price break.

Anyway I don't imagine this game holding up to the original PS2 title, it's mainly to use the DS stylus, or just to get in on the portability market.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
Is this game going to be any good?

I mean...First the Wii version cuts out stuff from the PS2's version credits (Which was stupid to do just because Clover didn't make the Wii version) and now they are making a sequel to it...

I just don't really care unless Platinum Games got to make it...Kamiya wasn't involved in Devil May Cry 4 and I don't really like that game either.

Not to mention the fact that CAPCOM killed off Clover themselves meaning that Viewtiful Joe 3 most likely won't ever get made.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Video-

-bret-

-bret-

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Video-

This looks to me like more of a spin-off than a sequel or prequel. Like they chibified ammy and threw 'er on a short mediocre portable game. Not canon to established story.

Not saying it looks bad or anything. I just doubt it'll sell me a DS, or have anything to add to the original.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users