Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who wants a free game?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Okay folks, so here is the deal. I have a near mint copy of Capcom vs. SNK 2 for the Gamecube, NTSC region. I don't play it ever because I have the PS2 version. I want to get rid of it but I despise trading and none of my friends want it so I'm willing to give it to one of you forum-goers for free. However, I'm not just going to give it to anybody. I want to make sure I give it somebody with enthusiasm for the fighting genre and won't just sell it after a week. So we're going to have a contest.

Here are the rules. I'm going to post a 30 questions about general fighter game trivia. All fighters are fair game. Some questions are easier than others but I tried to make it fairly tricky. Each question is worth two points. You can get half credit. Please refrain from using the internet for assistance. Do not discuss answers on this thread. PM your answers to me when you like. I will be taking submissions until Friday November 2, 11:59 pm U.S. central time. After checking submissions, I will inform everybody what the outcome is. The person with the highest score wins. In the case of a tie, the person who submitted their answers first will win. If only one person answers, they win by default. The winner will get this near mint game mailed to them over this weekend. I will pay any shipping fees so the winner pays nothing. This is a prize after all.

Be sporty, have fun, and keep it smooth. Without further ado, here are the questions. GO!

1. Who is my avatar and which game did he first appear in?
2. Who taught Guile his signature moves?
3. Which Guilty Gear character is officially stated as being @*@%^ by the “Knight of Knives” drama CD?
4. List the Eight Orochi.
5. In Tekken 5.2, Jin, Heihachi, and Kazuya all share a powerful move. What is that move and why is it so good?
6. How do you perform Akuma’s Shun Goku Satsu?
7. Who is Ivy’s father?
8. How did Capcom use Gill to demonstrate the graphical power of their CPS-3 arcade board?
9. Stun the insect inherited many moves from which characters dropped from the Bloody Roar cast?
10. The Kyokugen Fighting style from Art of Fighting is parodied by which Capcom character?
11. Which SNK character has a pet panther?
12. What gameplay feature replaced the Ring Out in Dead or Alive?
13. What is SNK Boss Syndrome?
14. Several characters from Final Fight have been playable in Capcom fighters. List them.
15. What kind of monster is Hsien-Ko?
16. Where was Jinpachi Mishima imprisoned?
17. Which SNK character fights with a hawk and what series are they from?
18. How did the Roll Cancel glitch skew balance in early releases of Capcom vs. SNK 2?
19. What is Rose’s connection to Bison?
20. What is the true identity of Noob Saibot?
21. In what game could you beat the crap out of people with a coach, a nurse, and a guidance counselor?
22. In Capcom vs. SNK 2, how many invincible frames are in Rugal’s HK Genocide Cutter?
23. What is Terry Bogard’s favorite sport?
24. What was the only fighting game to include Zero from the Megaman games?
25. In the Darkstalkers anime, which Night Warriors characters didn’t have speaking roles?
26. Which game has a character that flashes their breasts to give opponents a heart attack?
27. Which King of Fighters games were the dream match titles?
28. What was the first 3-D fighter?
29. How many original characters were created for Marvel vs. Capcom 2?
30. Who is susceptible to Riot of the Blood?

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Woah! That's a heavy set of questions, right there. This should be interesting.

So YES! Step right up, folks. Step right up. This is a legit quiz and you will win this game if you're the high scorer. Zero-shift was going to give me the game right off the bat but i don't have an NTSC region GameCube so he decided to make this a competition. So if you want a free game, take part. And have fun. :D

Also, Zero man. I'll be honest with ya. I love fighting games but some of these questions have me stumped. Can ya post the answers after the competition has finished because there are some questions up there that i would like to know the answers to...mainly for my own interest. :lol:

And question 21 was the only question i knew the answer to, right off the bat. Mainly because i have that game and love it to death XD

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Yeah. After I discern who the winner is, I was going to announce it on this thread. I was also going to put all the answers.

Well, it's almost been a day since starting this contest and I haven't received ONE private message. C'mon people, don't be shy. You don't need to knock it out of the ball park, you just need to try your best and that will be enough. The game is a prize so what's to lose?

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Ok I sent in my answers. Not much though...someone is going to wipe the floor with me. XD

I really should get back into fighting games like I did when I was little. I just need to learn to stop mashing the buttons so hard that my figures hurt! T_T

I only knew the answers to some of these due to sheer randomness. Not much though....like I said, someone has a good chance of answering these.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Woah.. I know some of those.. a meager some.. my knowledge of SNK and Tekken is limited.. or rather, Darkstalkers..

site issue: how come I can't see my sent PMs?

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..

Did you check the box underneath that asks you whether or not you want to save them? If you don't check it, they don't save into the sent folder.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
?? Didnt notice anything like that.. wouldn't normally expect that option.. thanks for clearing that up, Purg

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Woah.. I know some of those.. a meager some.. my knowledge of SNK and Tekken is limited..

Thats better than what I got. Good luck too you, and no hard feelings when I lose.

All this has gotten me hyped up. I really want to play fighting games again. I am already looking into some games. So even if I lose, technically I haven't lost. You have just reignited my childhood ways that needs to come back and develop. Now lets just see if this works, or will I end up ramming my head into a wall because its so difficult.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
I eyeballed number 3 and got that one immediately because I'm a Guilty Gear fanatic, but I'm too chicken sh!t to tackle the other stuff. Good luck you guys!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Alright guys, we're about halfway to the deadline and only a couple of you have taken a crack at this. If you only know the answer to one question, answer anyway. For all you know it might just be enough. Come on guys, you only have until Friday night. :(

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
heh, those are some frickin' kick ass questions right there XD
I'm a huuuuuuge fan of Fighters, but I can only answer 14 of those definatly right off the top of my head... Alas, I already own a copy of the game, so good luck to y'all! XD

Also, I'm to am a massive fan of 21 XD
And I almost died laughing when nostalgia of 26 hit me XD
I end way to many sentences with XD

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Only 24 hour left guys. It's crunch time. If you are on the fence about trying to win the game, now is the time to make up your mind. Good luck.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Have you gotten many entries yet?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Have you gotten many entries yet?

I've so far received a grand total of three. Man I tell you, the competition and enthusiasm for fighters on this forum is really something to behold. Woo-hoo. ;)

Seriously though, thanks to all of you who did participate. You did great.

-------------------------------------------------Contest Over-------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay kiddies put down your pens and spit out your gum, the contest is over. I have all entries scored and will announce the winner shortly. But first, I'll show you the answers to my trivia questions.

1. His name is Ryuji Yamazaki and he first appeared in Fatal Fury 3. On a personal note, he is one of my all time favorite fighting game characters. I at least like him enough to get the exact same hairdo.
2. Charlie Nash. He was essentially Guile's replacement in the Street Fighter Alpha Series and canonically taught Guile his signature moves.
3. Venom. He is in love with the late Zato-1. This affection was heavily implied, but never confirmed until the drama CD.
4. Goenitz, Shermie, Yashiro, Chris, Mature, Vice, Yamazaki, and Guidel. These are the only people in the King of Fighters series with 100% Orochi blood.
5. The move is called Electric Wind God Fist or EWGF for short. It€™s powerful because it's strong, safe, fast, and launches among other attributes.
6. The Shun Goku Satsu has always been executed by inputing LP, LP, F, LK, HP
7. Cervantes de Leon, the zombie pirate himself.
8. Gill has two-toned skin color. Half of his body is blue while the other half is red. Unlike other characters, his sprite isn't mirrored when changes direction. Blue is in the foreground when he faces left and red when facing right. His secretary (from intros) is similar in that she has an asymetrical haircut that also doesn't mirror. Non-mirrored sprites are highly uncommon in 2D fighters even after the release on Street Fighter 3
9. Mitsuko and Greg, a Boar and a Gorilla respectfully.
10. Dan Hibiki. Wikipedia has a good article on the many was in which Dan parodies Art of Fighting. They are too numerous to list here.
11. Rugal Bernstein. The panther was called Rodem.
12. The Danger Zone replaced the ring out. Fighters outside the ring would get launched, setting them up for juggle combos.
13. Essentially the final boss of a fighter is cheap as hell through any number of traits such as overpowered moves, immaculate AI, etc. The term was coined from SNK's habit of making bosses in their fighters exceptionally hard. It's a habit still in practice.
14. They sometimes had different names in Final Fight, but the characters are: Rolento, Sodom, Guy, Cody, Maki, and Hugo.
15. She is a Jiangshi, also known as Chinese Vampires and Hopping Corpses. I would have taken anything that was on the right track.
16. Hon-Maru, a compound owned by Heihachi.
17. Nakoruru from the Samurai Showdown series.
18. The glitch allowed characters to cancel a dodge roll into a special attack. The cancel gave the attack animation the same properties of the first few frames in a dodge roll, effectively making characters invincible during special attacks. The glitch was fixed in later versions.
19. She and Bison share the same soul. Rose is the result of Bison purging his body of all goodness in order to master Psycho Power.
20. Noob Saibot is actually the original Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat 1
21. Rival Schools or its sequel, Project Justice, were both acceptable answers.
22. Seven invincible frames.
23. Basketball
24. SNK vs. Capcom Chaos was the primary answer, but over the week I came to learn he was also in Onimusha Blade Warriors, so that answer was also acceptable.
25. Sasquatch, Victor, Anakaris, and Rikuo all appeared in the anime, but none of them actually spoke. All the others had at least brief cameos with dialogue.
26. Killer Instinct. Black Orchid flashed her breasts as a finishing move. Boobality as I like to call it.
27. 98 and 2002 both took place outside the main storyline and featured dream match characters.
28. Virtua Fighter was the firstfighter to use 3D graphics.
29. Four. They were Ruby Heart, Amingo, Son son, and Abyss.
30. Riot of the Blood affects people with some Orochi blood, but aren't 100% pure. It makes people go into a frenzied state of blood lust. The only people currently vulnerable to it are Iori Yagami and Leona Heidern. Both are from King of Fighters.

And without further ado, our winner of the Win a Fighter Contest is:

JaxTH

Congratulations. You won! I hope you enjoy your game when you receive it. Thanks again to everybody who participated. You prevented this contest from being a total flop. For your participation, at least enjoy the comedy gold of the following video and feel free to continue discussion of fighters on this thread.

Terry Yum Goong

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Wow! Some of those answers are very interesting. The Gil answer was certainly a surprise for the sheer fact that i already know about how they mirror characters in 2D fighting games yet i never noticed how Gil acted differently. I should have seen that. I have the bloody game. XD;

But, yes. Answers are very interesting. Congrats to Jax for winning. And that last video was quite special, too. Was the voice overs meant to be that or did someone add the dubbing themselves just for sheer lolz? It was quite funny. XD

Also, i like the Guilty Gears series but i've only got one of the games and sadly i'm uneducated into all the main storylines and what not. Is Venom the dude with the snooker stick as a weapon? ....aaand what is this drama CD and where can i locate one? ^^

cheers.
Great competition, Zero. I enjoyed that. ^_^

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Thanks.

First of all, if snooker stick is DiGish for pool cue then yes, Venom is the guy with the snooker stick. ^_^ The drama CD is called Night of Knives and it's basically a series of audio episodes that expand the mythos. Your best bet of finding it is import sites. I'm pretty sure www.cdjapan.co.jp has some in stock. Keep in mind though that the whole drama is in Japanese so you better know the language before you get it.

That video I posted is a fight scene from a movie called The Protector. The guy who made it (same guy responsible for OVER 9000!) basically added music from Fist of the North Star and overdubbed the voices with characters from fighters. The main guy uses Terry Bogard. Some others use Ryu, Bison, Geese, and Captain Falcon. My favorite part is when the one guy tackles the other and yells "Psycho Crusha!" when doing it.

I can't stop saying Boobality. <_<

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
I had less than ten of those saved in my PMs. Ha ha!

SonSon is one of my all time favourite video game characters. it would have been odd to have the original SonSon in the game, as opposed to this new granddaughter of the monkey king. Some little hairy gorilla man thats the size of Servbot.. ha ha!

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
<_<

I won?

Wo0T!!! YES! YES! YES!!!

Major Splee!!!

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
heh, in the end I only had 13 right, you schooled me good Zero, seriously awesome quiz! XD I thought SonSon and Amingo were from JoeJoe's Bizarre Adventure for some reason...
And like DiGi I'm completely noobtacular when it comes to Guilty Gear... played it for the first time two weeks ago! XD
Nice job, JaxTH, enjoy the game, is awesome!

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
SonSon was an existing character from the NES era, but this version is supposed to be the granddaughter of that character, as opposed to sticking that SonSon into the game.

BTW Sairus, I's workin on a drawing for you!

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests
I would have gotten about 15~20 of those right....
(Didn't try because I already own the game. XD)

And there is another "Bloody Roar" question that you could have added to make it slightly more harder.
(I swear I may have been the only person to really notice this.... should I say? I have yet to see anyone else that notice this thing though...)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Oh, Ruby SonSon and Abyss too.. heh

congrats Jax :)

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

And there is another "Bloody Roar" question that you could have added to make it slightly more harder.
(I swear I may have been the only person to really notice this.... should I say? I have yet to see anyone else that notice this thing though...)

What question would that be?

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

What question would that be?

Relates to Jenny and Fox.
They both share some moves. (Some things have changed through some more recent games but its most apparent in either the second or third game.)
Fox used to be my favorite character for the first game.

MidgitLD

MidgitLD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I think Zero showed ALL of us that even if we are a bunch of game freaks, our Fighter Fu IS NOT STRONG! XD

And Eka proves a very nice point on the BR question. :3 Of course, those of us that actually REMEMBER Fox would probably get it.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Oooooh me!!!

*looks at questions*

I'm out -.-"

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
heh, Bloody Roar is another one of those games I have zero idea about, sso thankfully there were few quesons XD

Purg: I am intrigued...

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Yeah, I didn't mention Jenny and Fox for a few reasons. I like Stun much more than Jenny, Stun was based on two characters instead of one, and when you compare Fox to the other dropped characters he was more memorable. I just thought the question would be harder that way.

Also, just because I know a lot about general fighter trivia doesn't mean I'm great at all of them. I kick serious ass in a few, but I'm only average in most others. What about you guys? Any fighters you're especially good at?

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
I used to own in Tekken 2 and Tag. I kinda still own in Mortal Kombat 4.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
I'm prolly best at the majority of the Marvel titles... not great at SF2 though. Really impressed with Gily Gear, so I'm gonna start hammering away at that XD

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

Yeah, I didn't mention Jenny and Fox for a few reasons. I like Stun much more than Jenny, Stun was based on two characters instead of one, and when you compare Fox to the other dropped characters he was more memorable. I just thought the question would be harder that way.

Also, just because I know a lot about general fighter trivia doesn't mean I'm great at all of them. I kick serious ass in a few, but I'm only average in most others. What about you guys? Any fighters you're especially good at?

meh I would have figured it the other way around.
(Fox harder to remember)
Then again he is like... the odd one out isn't he...
(When I first played him I thought he was a girl XD)

I makes me wonder why they scrapped him for Jenny... then again... did you know that the Fruit bat is also known as "The Flying Fox"
(Oh god this has to throw some people's heads.)

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
Actually.. since this is over with, I'm gonna go ahead and lock it. It'll still be here to read and all, but if you guys have anything else you want to discuss, you can use the rest of the game section or PM each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users