Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tradegy has struck. . .

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Well, it happened...My Saturn spazzed out and reset itself for no reason...My 1.8 on Reala? Gone. 2.0 on Puffy? Gone. 'A's on both Twin Seeds? GONE. My NiGHTS save file vanished. ;; Whenever I start up my Saturn now, it behaves like it's reset...I won't ever be able to save my game again. ><' Augh! Just thought I'd get that out of my system. xX Any way to save a Saturn game besides directly to the system?

R.I.P my Mepians TT__________TT

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Maybe the battery on your memory died. I don't know if that means its gone forever when you replace it as well, but you should look into getting a new one. My Saturn does the same, because I haven't got a new battery and lost the old one, so I don't remember what type it was.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Exactly what Purg said. The battery in your sytem has just died. And they're very easy to replace. Theres a door on the back of your Saturn that holds it, it's like a watch battery. Just go into a jewellers and get a replacement.

Dunno if your save files will still be there, but it's fixable none the less.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Yeah. If it is gone forever, then all my excellent stuff will be gone as well and I'll be in the same boat as you. T_T BTW, if you wouldn't mind, when you take out your battery, can you post what type of battery it is? It would be extremely helpful to me. :D

Camittles

Camittles

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:animating, modeling, video production, tattoos, piercings, dyed hair, body modification, art, cartoons, comics, video games, 1980's, action figures, my little ponies, live music/shows, mac computers, bright colors, makeup, neil gaiman, dave mckean, david mack, taco bell, woodchuck cider, amaretto sours, mythology, alternate subcultures
Same thing happened to me years ago. I lost alot of valuable data, including having a perfect rep with my pians in some of the levels, along with my scores on the bosses :D

But yeah, if you just replace your watch battery in the back of the Saturn it'll come alive agian, unfortunatly, when it happened to me, all of my data was gone. I try to look at it as a new challenge now...

Good luck!

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
I always considered the internal memory one of the Saturn's biggest flaws. Even the Sega CD and 3DO preceding it got it right with flash memory, yet the Saturn needed volatile (battery-powered) internal save data. It's an easy replace; open the tray on the back and replace that silver circular battery (CR2032, same as in the Dreamcast VMUs). I would invest in a RAM cartridge if you can find one...that's the safest way to keep your data saved forever.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences. :D

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I always make backups via Saturn Memory Cards incase that stuff happens.

I know how you feel though. That tragedy struck my Saturn for almost over 10 years T___T.

LadyTwinkle

LadyTwinkle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Designing, theatrical makeup, painting, costume creation, sewing, 80's animation, comic books, Traveling abroad. And of course NiGHTS!
after that happened to me (while I was playing magic Knight Rayearth...and I was AT THE END TOO) I bought a 9 pack of batteries from amazon.com

they shipped next day! CR2032 (used in monitors for medical equipment.)

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
That happened to me too,my battery got fried. I LOST ALL OF MY PRESENTS IN X-MAS NiGHTS. O_O I am still devastated.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
I also have a cartridge, but for some reason my Saturn doesn't seem to read it.. I don't know. the damn thing's gone to sh!t. XD

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Yeah, this happened a while back for me. I didn't know what happened for the longest time until my dad pointed out that the battery might be dead.

Also, can anyone tell me what are some reasonable prices for the Saturn memory cartridge? I'm looking into getting one meself.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

I also have a cartridge, but for some reason my Saturn doesn't seem to read it.. I don't know. the damn thing's gone to sh!t. XD

xD! I've got a similar problem. Mine can act really shitty sometimes >_>...

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Yep.. the battery [i.e. internal memory] lasts for a year or two at most. I also found that out the hard way. Lost my Guardian Heroes stats, a few NiGHTS games, an almost perfect game of Panzer Dragoon Zwei.. had one stage left to get perfect Lagi. Never bought one o dem memory cards. I mean carts.

Good thing about NiD being a kinda short game is it's rather easy to do the whole thing over.

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Ok..List of things to get:
New battery.

Saturn Memory Card/Cart =P

How much with each of those run me? I'm /very/ short on cash. xX

Thanks guys! I got my 2.0 on Puffy back on my first try, by the way. >D Muwahaha~

<333

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Ok..List of things to get:
New battery.

Saturn Memory Card/Cart =P

How much with each of those run me? I'm /very/ short on cash. xX

Thanks guys! I got my 2.0 on Puffy back on my first try, by the way. >D Muwahaha~

<333

The CR2032 battery you need is usually around 2.99 USD. Try a wal-mart or a convenience store like a Walgreens or CVS.

There are many third-party carts that usually fetch between 20 and 50 bucks on eBay, but an official SEGA cart could push triple digits...

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
The cart may have to wait, then. >.o' Too busy helping my mom pay for my dad's chemo. I'll run by Walmart this weekend and nab one of those batteries, though. ^.^ Thanks again~! *starts rummaging around e-bay for a cheeeeeeeap cart*

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
My cartridge is like drugs to my Saturn. It eats NiGHTS and makes crazy save files and mad stuff happen. I've heard nothing but doom stories about them, so expect it to mess up pretty quickly.
The first time my memory went i was so so upset XD; My scores and stuff were awesome (for some reason i only had to replace my battery once in 11 years) so you can imagine how much stuff i lost e_e
After that i just felt a bit halfhearted and started over on my card, but yeah, beware the crazy carts.

Reala57

Reala57

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Battery for the Saturn memory is a CR2032 button cell battery. and when the battery dies you lose everything. But I think all memory will remain intact if you switch out the batteries fast enough before it dies

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
@@ Thanks guys, I'm /trying/ to convince my mom to take me to the store to nab a battery, but she's procrastinating. ><'

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

My cartridge is like drugs to my Saturn. It eats NiGHTS and makes crazy save files and mad stuff happen. I've heard nothing but doom stories about them, so expect it to mess up pretty quickly.
The first time my memory went i was so so upset XD; My scores and stuff were awesome (for some reason i only had to replace my battery once in 11 years) so you can imagine how much stuff i lost e_e
After that i just felt a bit halfhearted and started over on my card, but yeah, beware the crazy carts.

What cartrige do you use? O_O Geez....

I wonder if mine will do that one day. It's pretty fragile it seems. In order for me to take it out right I have to put my knees on the system and then wiggile it out gently. o.O

Any memory card is worth it though. You don't want to lose everything again. Action Reply counts as a memory card and you can play forigen games with it. So I would suggest that. I hope you get your battery soon iNSOMNiAC. You can always try a Radio Shack too. They carry the battieries.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
A testament to my laziness, or my addiction to NiD, or both- at one point, I was playing NiGHTS consistently without a save file. Yeah, it's better with one. That way I don't have to get through Spring Valley and Mystic Forest every time I turn on my Saturn if I need a fix of the Soft Museum. XD

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
My Saturn randomly decides what it wants to save. Sometimes I can leave it off for a week and it'll save my progress, sometimes I can turn it off for an hour and all my stuff will be gone. But yeah, I pretty much play NiGHTS without a save file. ^.^

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
It was a good memory, and a bad memory. It had good times, and bad times. *Bows head*

Darkest Maiden

Darkest Maiden

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Games, the past, the truth, passions, music
Yep, it's all the battery problem. I had to replace mine on the Saturn I got off Ebay this week too. The seller probably thought there was something really wrong with it. Don't worry - just get the exact battery that the Saturn uses and bring it into a shop. Ask the tender to give you that exact battery. The batteries are cheap and it lasts for ages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users