Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unused Content in Journey of Dreams

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things

Boy it's been a long time since I've been here last! That's not important, though. What is important is that I decided to mess around with Dolphin a bit!

yYgmyt6.png

Let's start off small. Listed between N96CD_01.adx and N96CD_24.adx is the entire soundtrack to the original NiGHTS into Dreams! Almost none of it is used. Even jingles that are shared between both games already have a file in the main soundtrack listing. The unused songs include things like Stage themes, all the boss themes, Cutscene themes, and even Know Thyself!

I guess Selph is double unused now?

D45bzyj.jpgzzsd8wK.png

Behold, the Test level! There are actually 3 test levels in the game, but they all seem to be based on the same geometry. For reference, the one here is Test03.

To load this I extracted the contents of the ISO with a tool like QtWitGUI, switched the folder for the first mission of Pure Valley (Stage1000/Level00) with Test03/Level00, and then rebuilt the ISO.

When I first spawned, Will spawned underneath the floor into the endless void. That's bad, can't have that happening. Luckily, there are some conveniently placed LUA files in lua\stage\stage1000\ that control properties of the level! I set the spawn coordinates to 0,0,0, and the collision worked!

I don't know where the stage layout files are to see where things like chips, NiGHTS, and other objects are supposed to be, but the Arrangement folder shows that there's a simple track for NiGHTS to fly on.

Here are some other fun things from when I was messing around:

http://i.imgur.com/5rmmd6u.png - I don't know but I'm spooked.

http://i.imgur.com/adXaM7l.jpg - Reala?!

http://i.imgur.com/Y3yKIwZ.jpg - Double Reala

http://i.imgur.com/3BpLICu.jpg - Oh, you don't look so good....

Aromaticgrassitem

Aromaticgrassitem

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

You must go deeper... freaky deaky stuff mate

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

You can listen to NiD's soundtrack in the music library, maybe that's why it's there.. interesting stuff

supersonic25730

supersonic25730

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Memes, Christmas, SEGA, Sonic, & the Mother series. But not the first one. It sucked.

Dev "ey b0ss, wanna put Know Thyself hidden away in the files just to tease fans?"

Lead "lol y not"

MiSHiKiS

MiSHiKiS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Sitting at the shoreline questioning my life choices.

Hey, hey! Nice job! Interesting stuff you got here. Maybe this is just a tad too hopeful, but being able to influence this much could potentially yield something similar to mods for the game.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things

I forgot the NiD soundtrack was in the library, but it's funny that they went with the "Everything and the kitchen sink" mentality.

For the characters, the game uses BRMDL files like many other Wii games. If you can mod games like Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, in theory it should be possible to change the models in this game. One issue I encountered is that I can't find the ACTUAL location of the character models.

The "Character\Player" directory seems like it SHOULD have the character models, and it does, but changing them doesn't seem to have any effect on the game. I deleted NiGHTS' whole folder to see if this were the case, and the jester was still there. 

The Reala screenshot above is the cutscene model in a completely different folder.

For the stages, I have no idea what format those are in.

Aromaticgrassitem

Aromaticgrassitem

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Wow, sounds like you could put the NiD kids in place of the Wii games kids.
John Cena in place of NiGHTS too. No wait, the latter was stupid.

supersonic25730

supersonic25730

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Memes, Christmas, SEGA, Sonic, & the Mother series. But not the first one. It sucked.

I thought Wizeman's "I will rip your consciousness from your body and give you a new one" line just before Bellbridge seemed SELPH-y. Those bastards over at Sonic Team love to tease us.

Also, the test room looks very similar to Sonic Heroes' test room, with the exception of the rails and loops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users