Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Posted Image

You had to know this thread was going to happen sooner or later. But of all people to start it? Bet ya didn't see that one coming.

Spearheaded by Lauren Faust of Powerpuff Girls fame, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (MLP:FIM or just simply MLP) is the fourth generation of My Little Pony cartoon shows. Could it be nothing more than 22 minute product advertisements? Maybe if this were still the 90's. This is a genuinely fantastic show that clearly shows all the love and tolerance that has been put into creating such a phenomenal franchise reboot. I don't even know where to begin...

Compared to previous MLP generations, each episode has an excellent plot that highlights each of the main cast's diverse personality traits and interaction with the other ponies. The dialogue is well-written for adults and children alike, with simply sublime voice acting. The anime flair that infused the show's artistic style is subtle and effective, with very smooth animation. There's a lesson to be learned at the end of each episode, of course, but unlike most (or possibly all) other children's shows airing right now, the audience is treated as if they have intellect and are actually, you know, watching the show, rather than throwing violent slapstick comedy into the mix every 30 seconds or immature innuendos to try and keep an older audience awake.

Curiosity killed the cat, they say, and I went ahead after meme saturation and goofy videos to watch the first episode. This was five days ago. Since then, I've watched the entire first season twice. First from [insert mass file sharing protocol here] and second from iTunes at full retail price. Now, I even frequent MLP related messageboards, IRC, and newsfeeds. I've gone full brony and dove headfirst into the fandom. I can't even explain what hooked me. It's magic. /awfulpun

This show deserves your attention. Don't be off-put by the "It's for little girls" argument that half the web seems to use. I'm in my 20s and I thoroughly enjoy this show. Load up the videos below and decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-HTcaC4KwM

And if you plunge farther into the series like I did? Welcome to the herd.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
My girlfriend loves this show. I'll watch an episode with her once in a while and think it's pretty fun. As far as cartoons based on toys go, I think it's probably the best.

I really like the fact that it shows that different types of characters can all still be socially acceptable. All the characters are very different; aside from the manic pink girly-girl, there's a tomboy pony, a goth occultist pony, a shy pony who likes animals, etc. and they all are allowed to be who they are. At the end of the episode, Fluttershy doesn't learn that being shy is bad and that being outgoing is beter. Rainbowdash doesn't wear a dress and act like a proper lady.
It's my understanding that that kind of subtle message in a cartoon for girls isn't all that common. That it's alright to be whatever kind of person you really are. I approve.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've watched a little bit of it, it's rather popular with people on the Adult Swim message boards. Not bad, haven't made much of an attempt to follow it regularly though.

Also there's a fighting game based on the show coming around

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:ANIME, VIDEO GAMES, MANGA. READING. NIGHTS.
MLP: FIM Rules!! I love that show. I personally believe it's for EVERYONE NOT JUST LITTLE KIDS OR GIRLS thank you. I hear Luna's returning for Season 2 in November? was it? I wonder if Trixie will reappear? What do you think guy?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Haven't seen it yet but I've heard nothing but praise from those who have. Apparently it's like crack or something. Gets in your head and you can't help but love the damn thing. That's kinda the reason I've stayed away from it so far. XD

We got to get Stevo onto this thread to comment. He friggin' loves the show. ;)

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
Total brony.

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:SEGA video gaming, Creative Writing, Origami, acting
I don't understand, how come men now like my little ponies?
I used to love MLP back in 2000, had a massive collection of all these toys and had an old video game where you baked cakes and stuff....

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I don't understand, how come men now like my little ponies?
I used to love MLP back in 2000, had a massive collection of all these toys and had an old video game where you baked cakes and stuff....

Apparently it's on the same level as Transformers & I guess NIGHTS. I hear a Fighting game is coming out apparently. Heh imagine MLP: FIM the fighting game. Heh that is Epic.

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:SEGA video gaming, Creative Writing, Origami, acting

Apparently it's on the same level as Transformers & I guess NIGHTS. I hear a Fighting game is coming out apparently. Heh imagine MLP: FIM the fighting game. Heh that is Epic.

Imagine MLP: FIM x Tekken, that would legendary

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
*ahem* ..try and keep this on topic. Feel free to start another one about this supposed upcoming fighter game in the appropriate subforum.

I caught an episode while I was house-sitting a few months back, since they had all the nifty expanded channels and whatnot. I didn't dislike it...
Honestly? I'm just not ready to take that next step in watching the rest of the series... yet. One obsession at a time.

It is nice to see that there are a few cartoons coming out that hold a little more substance than some of the crap that's been on TV lately. And that animation style is just.. I can't stop staring at it. It's so colorful and cute and .. and .. it's really difficult to pinpoint specifically what the appeal is.

JadeMare

JadeMare

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
One of my best friends got me into this show a few months back and I've become addicted to it. The animation is awesome, the characters are well designed and their personalities well written, and even some of the music is fun. I love how the creators didn't focus on "hmmmmm what are little girls into now?" and instead focused on how they could make the show appealing to, not just kids, but their parents too. I'm really looking forward to the 2nd season. :D

CROSSiNG

CROSSiNG

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Let's see: Making music, books, video games, oh yeah and NiGHTS.
GAAAH TRAViS, you, you've turned. In all seriousness though, I do fear this fad. Very much.

I especially fear for this guy

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Season Two.

September 17th.

Get ready.

CROSSiNG

CROSSiNG

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Let's see: Making music, books, video games, oh yeah and NiGHTS.
Haha, I just noticed your signature, very subtle.

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Season Two.

September 17th.

Get ready.

XD. Your Sig is clever. Someone needs to draw a comic or Picture based on that.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I...I have to draw a NiGHTS pony in this style...but that requires stopping watching...

Piper24

Piper24

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
I love Friendship is Magic! Although I grew up in the 90's, I've been a fan of MLP since the 80's ponies. I used to have a huge collection of them (mostly hand-me-downs from a friend's older sister), but storage was not kind to them, unfortunately... =(

I still have some of the 90's pony toys, though, and some of the more recent ones, too, but I stopped collecting the toys when they started to look less like ponies and more like bobble heads. I may be disappointed by this generation's toys, but I must say... MLP:FiM is by far my favorite MLP show.

Hm... being the princess of the night, I wonder what Luna would think of NiGHTS? :P

Would that game happen to have been My Little Pony Friendship Gardens? I had that game, too. Probably still do (somewhere). =P

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I fear for my soul...
I know a fellow that loves this show as well, and has been trying to get me to give it a go.
All I can say is he sure knows how to make a moment awkward by shouting "Pinky Pie".

Piper24

Piper24

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

I...I have to draw a NiGHTS pony in this style...but that requires stopping watching...

I meant to say this before, but I would love to see that if you do draw it. :)

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic, but I actually found some NiGHTS-related MLP art on DeviantArt. None of these are mine, though I hope it is okay to share what I found anyway:

NiGHTS as a pony
Another NiGHTS pony
NiGHTS, Jackle, and Reala as ponies
Jackle as a pony [1] [2]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users