Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Underappreciated awesome Video Game soundtracks

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER skies of arcadia DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER shatterhand DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER blind guardian DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER
Shatterhand - One of the best NES soundtracks there is! I'm planning a series of METUL remixes with these at some point. Too bad I'm on way too many OCR projects. :(

Anyway
Factory
Refinery (extremely fun on guitar)
Nuclear Submarine (also extremely fun on guitar)
Anti-Gravity Research Facility/Subway (also extremely fun on guitar)
Final Stage - Missile Command (do I need to say it again?)
End Credits

Devil's Crush - Turbografx16 pinball game noone has ever heard of. You are a god if you can play the entire thing on guitar.
RAWR

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Nobuo Uematsu didn't make this one, but it still has some of the best music in the series.

Battle
Boss Battle
Doom Castle
Final Battle
Also is a video of legendary VGM remixer Ashane playing the battle theme. Don't bother going to vgmix.com, though, it's broken now :(. Go to http://dod.vgmix.org for his music instead.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (SNES) - Holy sh!t
Downtown (I've been learning this one on guitar lately, pretty killer)
Factory
Hotel
Boss

Wanna share any other VGM soundtracks that go unappreciated? :)

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
LUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!

*STRANGLES LUKE WITH HIS NES ADVANTAGE CORD!!!!*

Nah, I'm down with this, you're just sharing the love.

#1 - You know Willrock just finished a remix of Power Rangers - Factory in the WIP Forums over at OCR, right?
#2 - I'm going to make a list of how many times you've mentioned Shatterhand and Devil's Crush this year, okay?
#3 - I'd recommend waiting a little bit and actually maybe recruiting people for a mini-project for Shatterhand when you have some more time and finish up your current mixes. We shall talk sometime after MAGFest about this.

Final Fantasy Tactics I've always felt is so incredibly underrated. This is a soundtrack that honestly deserves the entire score to be performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic, it's THAT beautiful.

[Insert obligatory comment about NiGHTS music being under-appreciated]

Tekken has some killer soundtracks and should be recognized a little bit more.

I'll probably think of plenty more later.

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER skies of arcadia DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER shatterhand DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER blind guardian DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER DREAM THEATER
Tekken, huh? I'll take a gander later...

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
Tekken DOES have some good tracks.

Know what else does? The Mega Man games.
Seriously, look up "Mega Man Music" on YouTube sometime. Some of the NES era stuff blows my mind.

Tales of (an underated RPG series) games are also known for hardcore soundtracks, but Summoning Spirits on OCR has come and gone... oh well.

I particularly like the remix of Kratos Aurion's theme, though I'd appreciate it more if the pace was a bit... faster.

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I don't think Mega Man counts as underappreciated, considering the Mega Man soundtracks are among the most popular of VGM music! :angry:

Tales is a good example, though.

Darkwolf

Darkwolf

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Video games; NiGHTS, Kingdom Hearts, Dark Cloud, Sonic, Ratchet and Clank.
I always liked the music form Dark Cloud, not entirely sure if it is unappreciated though ^^

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I was always under the impression Tekken had fairly well known soundtracks. I know I love them. Here are a few of my favorite songs in recent installments (save the first) to give you a taste.

It Makes me Higher
Streets
Ground Zero Funk
Poolside
Supercharged
Temple Grounds
Electric Fountain

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
While Tekken is a popular series, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone talking about the game's soundtrack, much less remixing it. I'd say it's underappreciated. :P

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
I get what you mean about Mega, but I appreciate the Tales comment.

Though I'm not sure Tales of Symphonia counts, either, because it has what could basically be considered an online cult dedicated to its worship.

A game called Brain Lord, made by Enix, actually has a half-way decent soundtrack, too.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!

*STRANGLES LUKE WITH HIS NES ADVANTAGE CORD!!!!*

Nah, I'm down with this, you're just sharing the love.

#1 - You know Willrock just finished a remix of Power Rangers - Factory in the WIP Forums over at OCR, right?
#2 - I'm going to make a list of how many times you've mentioned Shatterhand and Devil's Crush this year, okay?
#3 - I'd recommend waiting a little bit and actually maybe recruiting people for a mini-project for Shatterhand when you have some more time and finish up your current mixes. We shall talk sometime after MAGFest about this.

Final Fantasy Tactics I've always felt is so incredibly underrated. This is a soundtrack that honestly deserves the entire score to be performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic, it's THAT beautiful.

[Insert obligatory comment about NiGHTS music being under-appreciated]

Tekken has some killer soundtracks and should be recognized a little bit more.

I'll probably think of plenty more later.

You have no idea how much I agree with you. That game has eaten up so many hundreds of hours of my life, its not even funny! XD The music is awesome and its been the BGM for my actual dreams before! XD

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

an online cult dedicated to its worship.

Eh every series has one of those.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
I'm just waiting for SmashQueen to post about StarFox64....just WAITING for it...

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
I think...as a kid when playing Tomba! 2 (or Tombi! depending on where you live) there were some pretty memorable pieces. That music when tragedy happens (if you've heard it, it was something like: DUN Dun, DUN Dun, DUN DUN) sent shivers down my spine. "Grant is stuck..." (insert dangerous place, cue music) "I'm going to...!" (insert insidious plot with music already playing)

...Wait...how do I remember that "insidious plot" after so long? XD Actually, out of all the songs, I remember that one and the "thinking to resolve a problem" music, although if I try I could probably recall the others.

...Please tell me someone else around here recalls Tomba. >>; Jungle boy, pink hair, evil pigs and gold...

Edit: Sorry Level 99, but this is underappreciated VG music... Although, I've never looked for remixes for SF 64... Still love it though.

Edit 2: Now that I think about, my memory's fuzzy on the soundtracks. @_@ *puts Tomba 2 on backlog*

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
OH yeah, Tomba for sure. I never played it though, I should go check out the OST.

Dark Cloud had some okay tracks, but for the most part I felt it kind of bland.

Two other big ones for me are Little Nemo: The Dream Master for NES (I recently did a remix of one for PRC) and Jade Cocoon, of which OCR-tist Another Soundscape is a huge fan as well. They have been remixed, but definitely not appreciated enough.

Also, SF64 has some nice remixes, but anything Koji Kondo is usually awesome anyway. David Wise did the composing for Star Fox Adventures and that's pretty under-appreciated.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
I see your point, but I still think ToS qualifies as a "cult classic," much like NiGHTS...

Another game with underappreciated music... hm... have to go with Baiten Kaitos.

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
I might be a bit n00bish in throwing this out there -- but .. Shining Force.

It's something I bring up since I been wanting to do something to the melody of the Piano bit from Shining Force II for the longest time... kinda with homage to how DiGi's Dreams Dreams mix came out.

Still very early developmental, but the fire lingers.

MAXinsanity

MAXinsanity

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Monster Hunter has some pretty neat music, though it's hard to hear it when an angry Rathalos is charging at you while your screaming at the top of your lungs.

Some Examples.

And here's some more examples.

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Another contender: Jaki Crush

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Well I just finished playing Dragon Warrior III for Gameboy Color so I'll share my favorite song from it, Heavenly Flight.

Apparently the song is also in Dragon Quest VIII but aside from that game I'm never hearing people talk about how awesome the Dragon Quest/Warrior games are in the US? So I'm posting in this thread even if I'm unsure if the song is actually underappreciated or not!

I wish I owned more Japanese Dragon Quest soundtrack albums. So far I only have a 45 with a J-pop rendition of the menu music from Dragon Quest II.

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
HEAVENLY FLIGHT IS SO GOOD but I only know that because it's reused in Dragon Quest VIII, 'cept this is the 21st century so instead of the song being a chiptune it is ORCHESTRAL and I must say that it is AWESSSSOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE

Man, that is one good soundtrack.

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
This one slipped my mind, but I was recently reminded of it.

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. Here's a sample of the music that played during it. I love the OST. :o Just wish I owed this game still... Heh. I can imagine some pretty cool remixes for Croc.

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I think Folklore definately deserves to be mentioned here. Not only has it one of the best scores I've ever heard in a videogame, but it's also one of the most overlooked games as well. Sony just marketed it veeery badly. D:

Some examples:
Beginning Of The Journey (Intro Theme)
To The Unknown World (Main Theme of the game.)
Solitude (Theme for Ellen's and Keats's Bases)
Ancient Breath (Theme of the Henge Ruins)

If you've got a PS3 you might want to try out the game as well, it's one of my all-time favorites.^^

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Adventure of Link gets no love, particularly with it's music. If I hear one person rant about how it's not Koji Kondo, I'll scream. The music works for AoL as well as any other Zelda game- the Hyrule overworld is suitably epic, the towns are comforting, and the palace dungeons are both elegant and scary at the same time. I'm glad SSBM did a remix of the palace theme, because it's by far my favourite Zelda song.

Hey! Listen!

Mr.Me

Mr.Me

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Most sega games, older games (N64 and back), music, internet. . .something else. . .

This one slipped my mind, but I was recently reminded of it.

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. Here's a sample of the music that played during it. I love the OST. :P Just wish I owed this game still... Heh. I can imagine some pretty cool remixes for Croc.

OMG OMG OMG CROC!!!! I LOVE CROC :D
Great challenging game, thank you for this, it made my day a litte better :)

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Legacy of the Wizard on the NES. The melodies just scream "rock remake", even if the tunes are generally slower-paced.

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Adventure of Link gets no love, particularly with it's music. If I hear one person rant about how it's not Koji Kondo, I'll scream. The music works for AoL as well as any other Zelda game- the Hyrule overworld is suitably epic, the towns are comforting, and the palace dungeons are both elegant and scary at the same time. I'm glad SSBM did a remix of the palace theme, because it's by far my favourite Zelda song.

Hey! Listen!

I actually found a gold copy of that game recently. The Dungeon music is quite enjoyable. Maybe I should do a metal remix of it at some point, even though Armcannon has already done that.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
I adore the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Soundtrack as much as I love the game, but after all the years of Tactics Advance bashing at useless FF forums, I tend not to mention it much these days... But yes, I also agree that the Tactics Soundtrack was truly breathtaking just like the game~

Man I spent sooooooo many hours playing those two~

Also, Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories and the general Fatal Frame series have some pretty damn good music.

LuketheXjesse

LuketheXjesse

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
BUMPAGE

Gigna Fukei Densetsu Sapphire for the PC Engine has f*!*ing AWESOME music.

Oh, and so does Rocket Knight Adventures for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, one of my all time favorite platformers.

Boss Theme
Stage 1-1
Stage 1-2
Stage 2-1
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5-1
Stage 5-2
Stage 6
Final Stage
Final Boss
Credits

I've kind of considered doing my own personal album of Rocket Knight Adventures, but there's so many other games I still have to do that with...not to mention OCR projects. :)

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Silhoutte Mirage and Saturn Bomberman.

APSJ

APSJ

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Gunpey-R on PSP was a waste of some damn good music. Not just game music either. Tracks like "Rain Drop" go beyond serving as mere background tunes and could stand alone, being sold as is... in my opinion. By the way I say "waste" because the Gunpey-R soundtrack never got a CD release and the game sold poorly. Shame.

You don't have to take my word for it though. Download a trio of some of the better songs right here.

http://psp.ign.com/a...1/741848p1.html

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I think I mentioned it in another thread but Croc has some memorable music and Frogger: Hes Back! has amazingly fun tunes.

FROGGER

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I have had a serious affection for Sega Rally Championship music recently. I love 90's racing game music.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
Not sure if its music is under appreciated but I would go to the bgm list of Panzer dragoon zwei and play that all the time.
One of my favs Episode 3 Boss

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
I love Panzer Dragoon's music greatly.
My number one favorite song of the series is the ending theme to Saga, Sona Mi Areru Ec Sancitu.
WAAAAHHH! Now I'm getting all nostalgic for Panzer Dragoon! I wish Sega would revive the series. If only Orta hadn't flopped!

PS: Anu Orta Veniya is great too!

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
ufouria

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
Burning Heat from Gradius II

Apparently Gradius II never had a US release until a PSP collection, but this song is AWESOME. Awesome enough for Konami to use it in Dance Dance Revolution.

Gyruss (I can't find a video of just the arcade-version music) is another classic Konami space-shooter with music that is SO COOL! And it also has a mix for DDR!

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Frickin' forgot about this one: Vexx. It was on multiple consoles and was hella creepy on more than one occasion. Too bad it didn't sell well. I got it, but never saw the ending. >_> Freaking boss... Anyways, found an OST playlist.

The music's...well just go ahead and listen.

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Terranigma and Legend of Mana both have amazing soundtracks. Especially Terranigma.

Main Theme
Crystal
Ressurection

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Terranigma and Legend of Mana both have amazing soundtracks. Especially Terranigma.

Main Theme
Crystal
Ressurection

Is it weird that "Crystal" reminded me a bit of "Smiles and Tears" from the Mother series? O_o

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Is it weird that "Crystal" reminded me a bit of "Smiles and Tears" from the Mother series? O_o

They do sound kinda similar :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users