Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS at E3 1996! The booth of epic and BETA!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I was saving this for an update but since a lot of you are visiting the forums tonight I may as well put it in here until i add it to the frontpage.

http://www.dailymoti...age-e3-1996_ads

Check this out! Not only does it show the NiGHTS E3 booth from 96 (OH GOD IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL) (I'd only ever seen 2 photos in an old saturn magazine)

BUT!

It has some footage of a beta OLDER than the current ones we're familiar with! How old? well the Ideya captures were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! There's a few other little differences in there too. It all makes me spaz like a giant fangirl. I figured you'd spaz too. It's like finding a time capsule of fond memories.

If i could travel back in time I'd go to E3 96. Those were good days. That's where my NiGHTS jester hat came from :P (one of the bosses at SOA swiped it for me lol)

If anyone could rip this video for me (since daily motion is a pain in the ass) I'd be most happy.

Major props to Mr Alan K. Rose for finding this for me :D

Also... am i halucinating or is the FMV flight path around Twinseeds Tower slightly different? I'm sure i seen this on a TV in a game store years ago.

Feel free to post some screencaps of differences for the folks too lazy to watch video.

DISCUSS

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Wow, that was amazing ! Makes me wish I wasn't 6 years old when this video was shot lol. Look at that capture, its like some hot air baloon, weird. That booth was seriously pimped! Oh SEGA, look at you all fresh faced and full of innocence - _ -

And yeah, I do believe that fly over of Twinseeds was a bit different too!

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
For people with a short attention span, the NiGHTS stuff starts at around 14:40. I want the giant NiGHTS figure. :D

The fly over is different- there's more stuff in the E3 video, and it all happens faster.

I like those Ideya Captures more than the ones in the final game. Maybe it has to do with the "evil hot air balloon" look. :P

The arrow in front of Elliot is different. The E3 video shows it yellow, not red/blue, and more three dimensional.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Oh my gosh! I love that huge NiGHTS cut-out with the GLOWY RINGS!!! WOOOT! I want those in my room! You must fight me for it, Noctourne! :D

I think the prototype Ideya Captures look nice, actually. They're elegant. They remind me of the fancy-shmancy rich houses/hotels I see in the movies with huge marble rooms, four-poster beds, and full-length windows leading out to balconies. If Sega makes another NiGHTS game, I say they should use these.

At 16:22, that's a really tight paraloop. :P Can you do that in the final?

What is that thing at 16:33 and 16:36? A...door? Elliot runs straight for it, too, once he busts the Ideya Capture. Could it be the checkpoint that eventually became the Ideya Palace?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Agh, why doesn't this thing pause?

The display was awesome, I wonder what they did with that stuff. Man, we're just seeing this now.. thanks to all involved. I like those Captures too. The way the chips disperse like that is pretty cool.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Cool stuff! Those early Ideya captures are neat. I like the way they sort of spherically explode in blue chips.
And what's that flying purple-wall Elliot seems to be jumping towards with the white ideya in Frozen Bell? I don't remember seeing that before.

Also... am i halucinating or is the FMV flight path around Twinseeds Tower slightly different? I'm sure i seen this on a TV in a game store years ago.

I think you're right but it's been quite a while since I've watched the opening movies.

Oh my gosh! I love that huge NiGHTS cut-out with the GLOWY RINGS!!! WOOOT! I want those in my room! You must fight me for it, Noctourne! :P

I think everyone wants that. I like to imagine it will turn up as "free stuff" on Craigslist someday in Wisconsin or something and everyone on these forums will show up and there will be an EPIC NiGHTS GLADIATOR BATTLE!

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Oooh I'm SPAZING out!

Here are pics for the lazy people :P

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also found some clips from this video of the E3 layout.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also did a search for CDConsoles and found some magazine scans of NiGHTS on this website. A bit unrelated but still worth sharing if the article is a new find.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Penelopi, there's only one way to settle this- a Pokemon battle! NiGHTSachu, I choose you! :D

Nemoide, I can just imagine some 90 year old lady who got the NiGHTS (cutout? figure?) from her son who works at Sega witnessing us battle to the death on her front porch to get some NiGHTS merch. :P

Thanks for the pictures, Charlie! All of the red and blue in the magazine pictures makes me wan to wear old-fashioned 3-D glasses to look at it. :P

I can't believe I didn't notice the door...thing. The markings on the Ideya Capute vaguely resemble Reala's hat, too.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Woah. And to think I have an artifact from that very event...

That was an amazing find! Lots of stuff different than the final retail, and even the E3 demo beta itself. And is it just me or does the footage here look more fluid and spiffy than the final game? I think those ideya captures and those explosions would have been much more epic to play through!

Also the lighting looks quite a bit deeper. It's almost as if SEGA was making it the Saturn's technical showpiece, then dialed back the effects to get it out the door in time. :P

Awesome stuff!

KENOSiS

KENOSiS

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ya know. I though I would share with everyone that I started crying when I watched that. lol
I just can't believe how the years flew by so fast. I seriously remember every detail of me playing NiD with my mom and dad when I was realy little.

I don't wanna get old with alzheimers and forget NiGHTS!
TT_TT

I prolly wan't get alzheimers, I was trying to be exaggrated xD
but anyways. good stuff, I really enjoyed watching that [:

omg, I'm so stupid. haha

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
I absolutely HATE to think and say this, but I think SEGA threw out most of that stuff. D: I hope to GOD they didn't and just have it forgotten in storage somewhere. D:

Man, this really makes me wish I wasn't six years old when this was going down, and just a bit older, and didn't have a freaking Nintendo console. *kicks it cause for some reason I still have it*

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things

I absolutely HATE to think and say this, but I think SEGA threw out most of that stuff. D: I hope to GOD they didn't and just have it forgotten in storage somewhere. D:

They probably did throw it out but you know what that means, right? There is a gigantic NiGHTS sitting in a landfill somewhere just WAITING for rabid fans to uncover it. Just like the fabled trove of ET cartridges!*

(*yes I know they were destroyed before being thrown out... it's still an amusing concept)

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
Tried to rip it and failed.

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
We may need someone who knows French to send an e-mail asking for a raw file, explaining of course why we need it. (Can't speak French. :P)

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
Wonder where Malan is.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Do you think that the door/wall thing is what became of the doors in JoD?

Also yes i prefer the evil Nightmare looking ideya captures too. The ones in the actual final game look more like something from Nightopia. Considering the captures are supposed to be living machines.

Either that or I'm just a sucker for green and black stuff.

Malan

Malan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Video games, internet, music, you? ^^
I'm here dudes, this is very intersting indeed !
What you want me to do exactly ?

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Would it be possible for you to contact the person who posted the video and ask them for a copy of it? It's just we can't use Dailymotion footage. I need actual sourcefiles.

Malan

Malan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
It's done, I'm waiting for him to answer =)

If anyone wants to contact me when I'm not here, feel free to add me on your MSN contacts, my address is malantp[at]hotmail.com

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Thanks man :)

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Thank you Malan. ^^ You're awesome.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Merci Malan, c'est trés formidable! :)

This brings back pre-JoD, pre-forum memories. My, how times have changed.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
That's really awesome of you to do for us. We can't thank you enough. :)

Malan

Malan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
I didn't got any respond from this guy, I must find another way to contact him I think...

TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS (Obviously ;)) Warhammer, im on Warseer with same name :)
Loving the footage, its been a while since I played NiD (will need to get the saturn out :)), the Nights figure is brilliant, maybe its still kicking about at one of the Sega offices or some lucky employee claimed it.

Narco

Narco

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Damn I want one of those glowy rings too. Why Sega? Why must you create beautiful floor pieces and not realize in 10+ years fans would go crazy for it? D8>

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Sega could make a fortune selling that stuff, yet they just get rid of it. WHY, SEGA? WHY? :)

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I guess they didn't think anyone would buy it ever at the time... It's a real shame, I tell you...

A.N.S.B

A.N.S.B

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
-1996 was a great year indeed-

Hypertreb

Hypertreb

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
That nights display hanging from the roof is incredible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users