Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The GC controls

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
So i was wondering... who still finds the GC pad control kinda hard? I mean i can get good grades and don't suck as much as i did when i first started, but the thumbpad REALLY hurts my finger compared to the old indented curve Saturn analogue pad. My thumb slips off or i end up having to pause for a second to put my thumb central on it again.

I devised a dumb way to stop this from happening (as much) which involved getting a rubber glove and cutting the thumb off. (PLAY SAFE KIDS!) But it's still a pain.

Would it be possible to chop up a analogue saturn pad and a GC one, then frankenstein it a bit to make a pad of ultimate wows?

The thumbpad is just too small and those stupid 8 way angles. Rrrggh.

Flying in a straight line becomes a challenge.

Feniiku

Feniiku

iMAGNi SPY!

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Drawing<br />Gaming<br />Reading
I use the GC controls myself, and I have the same problem. I just grin and bear it for now. Might give that rubberglovestick a try later though XD

As for the 8-way stick, I heard somewhere that taping a circular piece of carboard around the edge might help. Haven't tried it myself. Can't cut decent circles for crap XD

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
Personally, I think the GC controls are indeed a bit funky, mostly because it's a large hunk of plastic clutched in your sweaty hands as opposed to a small hunk of plastic, i.e. the Wiimote or Nunchuck. Even if you have one of the little controllers (like I have) it does make for an odd experience. But that's also my way of rating gameplay of a game. The less you think about the sweaty hunk of plastic in your hands, the better. So yes, that 8 way design did piss me off a lot, but I learned to live with it because I'm not mutilating my Gamecube controller for one game. Not my favorite controller, no siree bob. If only Sega had packaged a special Saturn-like controller with a Gamecube attacher port thingy so it fits into the Wii, now THAT would be nice. BUT! Since that isn't happening, I guess we all have to settle for mutilating controllers and being pissed off with a controller design that should never have crawled forth from the womb of Satan.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
The saturn controller was a LOT bigger than the GC one and i found it to be a lot easier and comfortable to hold. It didn't give you crab spasm fingers due to the entire thing being a circle the size of a dinner plate lol. Plus it was lightweight.

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Hm, I don't usually have a problem with them, but I have heard complaints. Some people have taken a dremel to the 8-way direction notches on the circle around the stick to make directions smoother. If your problem is just that your thumb is slipping off, maybe you could glue a circle of some kind of rubber grippy-stuff onto the stick. Like those thin grippy sheets you get for opening jars with.
Or relax and not press so hard, lol XD

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
BUT IT'S INTENSE.

INTENSE APTI!

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Lol, whoooooa TRiPPY. Put down the controller and go stick your head under the faucet. XD

Ronnie

Ronnie

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
I agree with TRiP! I use the GC controller for comfort but when I want to do a perfect paraloop or ascend/descen towards rings I find it difficult since i'm constricted to 8 directions. I miss my Saturn pad :_( I need freedom while I fly and I to find my thumb hurting and sliding off to the right from to much pressure its also kinda awkward changing masks.

Trash Jack

Trash Jack

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Well, I'm not sure if you could make a hodgepodge GCN/Saturn controller. But I have heard of converters that plug into the system that you can pop the controller for another system in. In other words, you could play JoD or Super Smash Bros. Melee with a PS2 controller, or play the PS2 version of Soul Calibur II with one of the newer Xbox controllers (don't get the older ones, they're huge and clunky).

Cyhunt

Cyhunt

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have the same problem with my thumb slipping off, too. I do have a GC controller with the rubber bit off, (Lol I got bored) and I bet that will work better. Then again, I have never Seen or Played the original NiGHTS (yet XD) so I can't say about the controls. But I have no problem with the 8 way. I've been playing with my GC and my Wii for years, so I'm kinda used to it. The only way it bothers me with is SMG. But yeah.

Diogothedreamer

Diogothedreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid gamer but also enjoy all kinds of other hobbies such as going out to museums,events and such. As it is currently Winter it means hibernating in house rather than going out a lot. <br /><br /> I should also mention that growing up playing on SEGa systems it is now my favorite game company in the whole world. The games developed by it always inspire me a lot and remind me of all those games many years ago such as Nights that I have many fond memories of. <br /><br />I also am really creative and tend to do all kinds of art such as drawings,painting and such. However, lately I have focused more on my computing course so have not done much. :)
Well for me I can't really say yet as I only been using the wii remote controls so far. -_-
I was so surprised at how quickly I adapted because now I got almost all A ranks with Helen but for 2 that I am struggling to do on her 2nd Nightopia. -_-

It does look quite tough to use the D pad in doing quick turns for paraloops and such on the cube controller and nunchuck. ^_^

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've now used a GC controller with JoD, and while it's cool to have the camera control with the kids, and doing tricks with the buttons, I like usin' me modded nunchuk. I've gotten quite used to it, even tilting the Wiimote for tricks.

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
The GC controller seems to have some kind of ... lag? Thats the best way I can describe it's weird controls with JOD compared to the nunchuck.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
Having grown up on Cube, I can say that it is'nt a problem for me, but I DO like the pad better. Playing the Saturn and Genisis is nostalgic. I love the way the pads work! TRiPPY is right, my finger is sore after I finish playing with the cube controler. I usually play with the nunchuck though, so.....

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
I just use the nunchuck, though. The only game I use the GC controller for is Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Maresuke and Loren both complained of that and I guess I just adjust quickly because I just don't feel it. But at the same time I'm aware that the controls are kind of iffy.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
*will play wearing giant mittens to protect her flimsy ladyhands*

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
You want to see flimsy ladyhands, TRiPPY, you should see me try to play. My hands are so skinny the Wiimote flies out of my hands at every twitch.....

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Alright, it sounds like the majority of forum members are not satisfied with the 8 way controls on the GC pad or the nunchuk.

Forgive me for advertising myself, but I can't stand to see people not getting the full fun of the game with a circular pad as on the Saturn controller. Both viperxmns and I have modded our nunchuks to have circular controls instead of 8 way controls. Check out the original thread with the guide on how to do it yourself, and pictures of how our work came out here:

Mod thread

I can't speak for viper, but for anyone who doesn't feel adventurous enough to do this themselves or doesn't have the right equipment, I'd like to extend a hand and do it for them. I'm not really interested in taking a fellow dreamers money, but gratuity in the form of hand drawings, or other little trinkets (preferably NiGHTS trinkets) are more my thing... I am going to start with 3 "commissions" and see where it goes from there. Trippy gets first dibs if she so chooses, which would leave 2 more open spots. The only money that would be involved would be for shipping your Nunchuk to and from me (I live in New York), or if you wanted me to go out and buy you one and then ship it to you I guess I could do that as well. If you are interested just let me know ^_^

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I have held that huge Saturn controller, and, like nearly every other Sega controller design, it was horrible. The thing is massive, and aside from it being an aesthetic nightmare (the thing looks like a controller wired to the back of a frisbee) it is very uncomfortable. It is even worse than the Dreamcast controller.

As for the GC pad, I absolutely love it, especially the fact that, as in all Nintendo analog controllers, it has traction rings instead of the smooth, slippery Saturn and Playstation 1, 2, and 3 controllers and lacks that "cleats" of the DC controller that hurt my thumb after awhile.

I think that the 8-way setup really helps movement on a 2D plane, in NiGHTS and especially in platformers and fighting games. My thumbs always slip and I cannot hold circular analog sticks in one specific direction without slipping.

I will give the Saturn pad one thing, though. Since it was designed from the beginning to be for 3D, it has the analog stick on the top, rather than the horrible setup on the PS controllers, which came about because the analog sticks were an afterthought. The classic controller has this, too, but you generally do not use the analog sticks (I use GC for N64 games). Another thing that was good about it: analog triggers.

cardmonster

cardmonster

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have held that huge Saturn controller, and, like nearly every other Sega controller design, it was horrible. The thing is massive, and aside from it being an aesthetic nightmare (the thing looks like a controller wired to the back of a frisbee) it is very uncomfortable. It is even worse than the Dreamcast controller.

As for the GC pad, I absolutely love it, especially the fact that, as in all Nintendo analog controllers, it has traction rings instead of the smooth, slippery Saturn and Playstation 1, 2, and 3 controllers and lacks that "cleats" of the DC controller that hurt my thumb after awhile.

I think that the 8-way setup really helps movement on a 2D plane, in NiGHTS and especially in platformers and fighting games. My thumbs always slip and I cannot hold circular analog sticks in one specific direction without slipping.

I will give the Saturn pad one thing, though. Since it was designed from the beginning to be for 3D, it has the analog stick on the top, rather than the horrible setup on the PS controllers, which came about because the analog sticks were an afterthought. The classic controller has this, too, but you generally do not use the analog sticks (I use GC for N64 games). Another thing that was good about it: analog triggers.

I agree with most of this. I prefer the circular housing of the analogue stick on the original Saturn 3D controller as it made sweeping arcs smoother and less clunky. That being said, the Gamecube controller is certainly the best of the available options. I just wish someone would invent a retro-fit adapter to enable players to use the 3D controller on the Wii - that would be ideal.

Oh, I'm new by the way. :lol:

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
After playing JoD with the Nunchuck for a while, I got NiD off Ebay and was surprised at the feel of the 3D analog stick. I loved it! It was so easy to paraloop and change directions! ;) I can see now why so many old-school NiGHTS fans are upset with the difference in the control of the new game. I tried the Gamecube controller once and it didn't seem to have any delay. Matter of fact, I thought it responded quicker than the Nunchuk. The 8-way is annoying, though, and the reason why I stick with my modified Nunchuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users