Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Contacting Sega about the control problems

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Draikin

Draikin

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
We don't really have a thread specifically about the controls yet, so I hope I'm allowed to create this new one. I think we should look into contacting Sega regarding the lack of precision in the controls of the HD version. At least, I don't see the harm in trying! If I've learned anything from the NiGHTS community, it's that they're good at this kind of thing :) Initial sales for the game seem to be promising, which is actually really important. I've seen people say they're holding of on buying the game until the control problem is fixed. I strongly encourage them to buy the game anyway. NiGHTS as a franchise depends on this game. If the game is profitable, we can probably expect to see more NiGHTS ports on the next-gen systems. Those ports could resolve the issues we have in the current HD port. But if it doesn't sell, we can forget about seeing NiGHTS again. The control issues aren't worth risking that, especially given how low the price of the game is.

Also, the PC version isn't even out yet. If the console versions sell, Sega may yet invest additional resources into fixing the controls for it. And who knows, if we get lucky they may patch the console versions as well. With that said, I made this video in the hopes of illustrating the problem. I think it really shows the difference between the Saturn version and the HD version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrnj6aRzwk

I've looked at the PS3 version as well, it seems a bit better than the XBox360 version in terms of controls, but it's still not comparable to the PS2 version and the original game.I think our best chance of getting something done is simply contacting Sega's support (seemed to work for Binary Domain when Steam users contacted Sega about control issues, and for the PS3 port of Bayonetta). I don't think a petition is really helpful in this case as we don't quite have the numbers to make a real impression, better to have a 100 support emails than 100 signatures on a petition in my opinion. I think these are the two links we can use:

America: https://segaofamerica.zendesk.com/home
Europe/other: https://support.sega.co.uk/home

Click "submit a request" to open a ticket with support. Obviously we should to send constructive feedback. For example, tell them you like the game and would like for it to be a success, but emphasize that the controls are really important for the replayability of the game and that the current controls do not allow the level of control needed to get the link chains that were possible in the Saturn version. If you bought the game on multiple platforms, or you're in the top leaderboards for a certain level, you can mention that as well. I'll elaborate a bit more tomorrow, and will then contact their support myself as well.

So, any thoughts on this, think it's a good or bad idea? Or does anyone have other suggestions?

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
TRiPPY and DiGi (the two admins of the site) are both Sega employees. I think it's safe to say Sega knows. I honestly doubt they would be willing to put in the time/effort/money required to change how the controls function - I haven't played the port yet... but is it really such a big deal? I mean, yeah, it might make your score lower than your score for the Saturn version, but getting an A-rank should still be a pretty simple matter.

But then, I know Aksys Games/Cave retooled the North American release of Deathsmiles to include the slowdown that was present in the original arcade version (another thing I personally thought was pretty dang minor and not worth complaining about). So I guess a patch isn't unprecedented!

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I think we should wait for TRiPPY and DiGi's lead before we do anything rash. They know the ins and outs of Sega far more than we do, so I'm certain they are formulating a plan as we speak. Until then, we should discuss what other issues can be resolved within this port's budget.

Danwarb

Danwarb

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi.

It's a shame this isn't NiGHTS in its best light. The game just isn't as fun to play as the original or PS2 version. It should be possible to at least match analog control from the PS2 game. At present it feels like there's an 8-way DPad under the analog stick. Your direction sticks to up, down, left and right with ~45 degrees of no response either way.

Those magical, smooth controls are a big deal for NiGHTS. It was fun to just fly around in the game. I'm glad there is a HD port and I'll get at least 2 versions. Still, an update/fix would be nice.

Draikin

Draikin

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I think we should wait for TRiPPY and DiGi's lead before we do anything rash. They know the ins and outs of Sega far more than we do, so I'm certain they are formulating a plan as we speak. Until then, we should discuss what other issues can be resolved within this port's budget.

I can't speak for TRiPPY and DiGi of course, but DiGi's post seemed to suggest that this is basically a done deal and that we'll have to live with the controls remaining the way they are. I'd certainly like to hear their opinion about us contacting support. Like I said, I don't see why we shouldn't at least try. I'm also worried about waiting too long before contacting Sega. I fear that the control issues are really going to hurt the replayability of the game, which in turn may cause people to quickly forget about the HD version and dismiss it as a poor port. That's not what I want to see happen.

RareWishes

RareWishes

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I agree with those who said we should ask TRiPPY and DiGi before complaining to Sega about ANYTHING related to NiGHTS.

As an example of what I'm afraid of, I once attended an anime convention where artists overwhelmed staff with complaints about the Artist's Alley, with some even demanding refunds for their tables... so what did the staff do? They didn't listen to the artists' demands. The following year, the staff cut the Alley down to half its size and began only allowing artists they personally knew and trusted to get a table. It was no longer based on artistic merit.

This example doesn't perfectly translate to the issue at hand, but I'm worried about Sega punishing us NiGHTS fans just like those artists were punished. It's like, "You wanted NiGHTS, and we gave you exactly what you wanted, but you're STILL complaining about NiGHTS?" They may be especially sensitive to negative feedback about the game because they think Journey of Dreams incurred a lot of criticism for the franchise. Also, keep in mind who developed the controls- my understanding is that DiGi and TRiPPY worked on them. There's a possibility that, if you complain to customer service, they'll interpret your criticism for the game more broadly and assume the game is being criticized overall, not just the specific issue of the controls. Truths are bent and lost as they travel from person to person, especially if customer service representatives don't have a good handle on the issue. TRiPPY and DiGi are well-acquainted with NiGHTS and the fanbase, though. If anyone would hear us out for real without just assuming we're complaining about the franchise as a whole, it's them.

I just don't want NiGHTS to receive another failure. We can't help if other people who have bought the game complain, but we have to be more responsible and treat NiGHTS as best as we can because we know how to- TRiPPY and DiGi are here with us, and they see what we're saying. We CAN talk to them and give them feedback. We should give them a little credit and rely on them as ambassadors for the fanbase. They will help us if we let them, and like Duplex said, they know "the ins and outs of Sega". They will have the best sense of how to handle and present any criticism about the game.

Danwarb

Danwarb

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I can't speak for TRiPPY and DiGi of course, but DiGi's post seemed to suggest that this is basically a done deal and that we'll have to live with the controls remaining the way they are. I'd certainly like to hear their opinion about us contacting support. Like I said, I don't see why we shouldn't at least try. I'm also worried about waiting too long before contacting Sega. I fear that the control issues are really going to hurt the replayability of the game, which in turn may cause people to quickly forget about the HD version and dismiss it as a poor port. That's not what I want to see happen.

It's not as enjoyable with direction limited to 45 degree increments, the rigid controls do hurt replay value.

The better the game, the better it is for NiGHTS. Anything that can be done to improve it would be greatly appreciated, but I'm happy to have it.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
The more I think about it, the eight-way control may be advantageous to us in the long run, especially if a patch for analogue controls does come.

Hear me out. When I first played NiGHTS, I only had the basic D-pad controller that came with the Saturn. I had to settle for eight-way controls without even knowing there was a better alternative. It wouldn't be until several years later when I actually got to play the game with the 3D control pad; I was hooked. The game was already amazing to me when I played it for all of those years with just the D-pad, but when I played the game with the analogue controls, I couldn't stop playing. Right now there are legions of people who are playing the game for the first time with eight-way controls and enjoying it. Just think of how much they will get into the game once analogue controls are put in. A whole new playing field will open up to them and, suddenly, we'll see a new surge of avid NiGHTS players. And it will be glorious.

RedTail

RedTail

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

The more I think about it, the eight-way control may be advantageous to us in the long run, especially if a patch for analogue controls does come.

Hear me out. When I first played NiGHTS, I only had the basic D-pad controller that came with the Saturn. I had to settle for eight-way controls without even knowing there was a better alternative. It wouldn't be until several years later when I actually got to play the game with the 3D control pad; I was hooked. The game was already amazing to me when I played it for all of those years with just the D-pad, but when I played the game with the analogue controls, I couldn't stop playing. Right now there are legions of people who are playing the game for the first time with eight-way controls and enjoying it. Just think of how much they will get into the game once analogue controls are put in. A whole new playing field will open up to them and, suddenly, we'll see a new surge of avid NiGHTS players. And it will be glorious.

This isn't like Journey of Dreams where all the rings and chips throughout the stage are arranged in straight lines and angles to accommodate the GC controller's octagon. NiD utilizes gradual, curved lines to take advantage of the free range of motion that the Saturn analog pad allows. If you need to go in a straight line, you level out some, drill dash, and make fine adjustments in the middle of your dash. Been playin' NiGHTS since 1996. It's never been a problem for me.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

This isn't like Journey of Dreams where all the rings and chips throughout the stage are arranged in straight lines and angles to accommodate the GC controller's octagon. NiD utilizes gradual, curved lines to take advantage of the free range of motion that the Saturn analog pad allows. If you need to go in a straight line, you level out some, drill dash, and make fine adjustments in the middle of your dash. Been playin' NiGHTS since 1996. It's never been a problem for me.

I don't know where in my post I said I had trouble with straight lines. I just said that full analog controls will be a breath of fresh air for newer players if they are already acquainted with the eight-way controls.

Speaking of that, I think I know what's going on with the HD port. It's in D-pad mode. On the 3D control pad, there's a switch that allows you to toggle between D-pad controls and analog controls. When the switch is on D-pad mode, NiGHTS is locked to eight directions and the analog pad ceases to work. But when the switch is on analog mode, suddenly the game enables NiGHTS to fly in all directions, but now the D-pad ceases to work. Somehow the D-pad mode became the default mode for the HD version.

Thoughtcrime82

Thoughtcrime82

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:I'm a joker, I'm a gamer, I'm a midnight toker.
Hi, I'm new to the forum but still,

As a fan of this game since the Saturn days I understand your pain re: control issues, but I agree with Rarewishes that we should err on the side of caution contacting Sega about it.

What we have is a fantastic port and while I will still play my Saturn copy, the more I play the XBLA version the more I improve. I'd say controls as they are, are infinitely better than playing with the Saturn 2d controller was, even if they do not quite match the glory of the 3d controller. Sure, Nights is a little heavier and stiffer than he was before but it's still the same game, and those at the top of the leaderboards prove that good scores are still do-able.

Perhaps wait to see how well the game sells before contacting Sega with what could be taken as criticizm. If it does well, who knows what updates and further releases we might get once demand is proven... it may be a bit early to ask about it now.

Draikin

Draikin

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The main reason I don't think it's a good idea to wait and see what happens is that not only does that mean that we're stuck with the controls, but also that the PC version might be released with the exact same control problems. I don't see why our feedback would need to be viewed by Sega as something negative as long as we provide constructive criticism. All they'd need to understand is that we like the game but would like better controls. I don't see how that would be translated to "the fans say hey hate the entire game".

Of course, if the majority wants to wait and see or accept the game as it is then I'll respect that decision. It's not my intention to barge in here and tell people what to do.

Danwarb

Danwarb

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Can requests for analog controls from people who've bought the game do anything but demonstrate continued interest?

RedTail

RedTail

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I don't know where in my post I said I had trouble with straight lines. I just said that full analog controls will be a breath of fresh air for newer players if they are already acquainted with the eight-way controls.

Ah, sorry 'bout that. I read the first paragraph of your post, went "PFFT!" and jumped right into posting.

After reading the rest though, I still don't agree. While the game is a pretty unique experience even by today's standards, it's still over 15 years old. If people are discouraged by the controls, they may write it off as a broken game from a bygone era long before it can be patched. If SEGA really wanted to alter the controls in hopes of making the game easier for newcomers, they should've made enabling/disabling analog an option that the user could set themselves.

The main reason I don't think it's a good idea to wait and see what happens is that not only does that mean that we're stuck with the controls, but also that the PC version might be released with the exact same control problems. I don't see why our feedback would need to be viewed by Sega as something negative as long as we provide constructive criticism. All they'd need to understand is that we like the game but would like better controls. I don't see how that would be translated to "the fans say hey hate the entire game".

Of course, if the majority wants to wait and see or accept the game as it is then I'll respect that decision. It's not my intention to barge in here and tell people what to do.

Personally, I'd like to see something done sooner rather than later lest it never get fixed at all.

Can requests for analog controls from people who've bought the game do anything but demonstrate continued interest?

I agree. And if we do put some kinda petition together, the people who signed it could state whether or not they purchased the game to help drive home the point.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
The funny thing to me is that this wasn't an issue in JoD; sure there were other issues, like NiGHTS moving a bit slower, or maybe that the environments were larger so it felt slower, but doing loops wasn't a problem. Of course I know that has little to do with the NiD port.. but anyway if the controls could be adjusted in the port via a patch I'd be all for it. Is it a sensitivity issue? Could it be a user-controlled manual tweak in the options menu?

WiNGS.

WiNGS.

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:varied.

After reading the rest though, I still don't agree. While the game is a pretty unique experience even by today's standards, it's still over 15 years old. If people are discouraged by the controls, they may write it off as a broken game from a bygone era long before it can be patched. If SEGA really wanted to alter the controls in hopes of making the game easier for newcomers, they should've made enabling/disabling analog an option that the user could set themselves.

Just gotta put my two cents in as someone who has never played the original-- it's not broken. In my humble and uninformed opinion, there's nothing so heinously wrong with the controls that I am discouraged from playing the game as a result. First run through I got all B's (though not on individual mares, which were naturally more mixed) and an A on Elliot's Twin Seeds. And as I become more familiar with the mares, I get better. I'm a fairly casual gamer, and my usual fare is along the lines of Zelda or Kingdom Hearts, i.e. not time based, achieve perfect run type of games. So if anything is "discouraging," it's that getting those A's might not be challenging enough. (Though fricking Gillwing still thwarts me on far too regular a basis...)

For new dreamers whose hearts go aflutter at the prospect of dominating the leaderboards, then good for them, they have a challenge ahead of them and since they won't be constantly saying, Man this was so much easier back in the day, they'll revel in the achievements they DO manage to make. (Or like me with Gillwing, I don't just say, Man, these controls are totally broken! Obviously that's why I have such a hard time with this one particular boss and I should just quit because it has nothing to do with my lack of experience, and there's no way I'll get better if I keep trying.) They may not be impressive scores by your standards, (though they ought to be, since you know how much harder it is to maintain certain links in this version) and I appreciate your frustration at not being able to achieve the scores you're used to, but I can't help but feel that making assertions like this belittles the newbies' experiences.

Me, I'm just thrilled to finally be able to explore this world since I found out about it nine-or-so years ago, so I'll freely admit I probably don't know jack about what other gamers will think. If they agree that the game is broken before you tell them it is, then okay, valid point. Would you really think the game was that bad if you hadn't played the original and didn't have the internet insisting this one sucks? Because that's mostly what I see in a lot of these reaction posts: This version sucks! I'll still buy it because I'm a fan and want to support the franchise, but I won't play it because it sucks so much, it's not even enjoyable.
For people just passing through looking for an opinion before buying, this is maybe not what you want to get people to buy the port.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
*coughgoforitcough*

Be respectful though. Be positive about the game but strong on wanting a fix.

Sometimes if you ask correctly, you get, you guys more than anyone should understand this.

And that's all i'm saying on that.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Well, you guys heard her. It's time to make our move. Let's be careful not to make our requests too lengthy. If Sega's going to get a ton of these requests from us, we should make them easier to read through as well.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I suggest not swamping people on twitter. Use the official forum and stay on topic.
(And remember the point is to help improve the controls, not drive people away from buying it e_e; )

Danwarb

Danwarb

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I used the Sega Europe support link in the OP to ask about the possibility of an update/patch for analog control. The response said they'd passed my comments on to the developers.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I Tweeted at Sega's general Twitter account.. sounds like Danwarb already accomplished more through the above method however..

Draikin

Draikin

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the support TRiPPY!

I used the Sega Europe support link in the OP to ask about the possibility of an update/patch for analog control. The response said they'd passed my comments on to the developers.

Yeah, I think everyone should at least open a support ticket. There's no need to spam them and open multiple tickets, just one ticket will do. I don't really agree that they shouldn't be lengthy. If anything that just shows we care about the game. We don't have that many fans that they wouldn't be able to read them all.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I believe just a paragraph is enough to voice our concerns. The first sentence compliments the developer and its product, then go into detail about whatever issues you have, and then give your gratitude in the last sentence. Simple. Customer service people have busy schedules as they are already dealing with different requests from other people. If I were to type some five paragraph essay about how much the game means to me and why they should fix the controls, they'll think I'm just some rapid fan with too much time on my hands.

cardmonster

cardmonster

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't wish to seem ungrateful, but I think the more support tickets Sega receive through official channels, the better. Sonic Team's original vision for NiGHTS is being compromised by a somewhat ham-fisted implementation of its 16 year-old predecessor's revolutionary control scheme.

NiGHTS, for all of its wonderful visual and audio qualities, remains a hardcore gamer's game - about precision, repetition, high scores and fluidity of movement. If NiGHTS as a franchise is to survive, it needs to retain these qualities, rather than pander to a disengaged audience for short-term financial gain.

To pretend this is a perfect port is to deny those unfamiliar with the game the experience I had 16 years ago, when NiGHTS quite literally blew my mind with its fluid and seemingly limitless analogue controls.

That said, keep it short (ha!) but do let Sega know if you aren't happy, rather than sit on the fence considering the politics; nothing will change if you don't speak up.

All just my opinion of course, and I respect all others!

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Hey everyone

I've been keeping my mouth shut these last few days and trying to accept the game for what it is. I know that I was one of the first people to post a negative reaction to the controls and by no means did I mean that the game is unplayable or broken. My emotions definitely got the better of me so I apologize if it was taken the wrong way.

After playing it for a few days on both the PS3 and 360 I definitely see the benefits of this game and I must say that I'm addicted to getting high scores on the leaderboards.

That being said, I still believe that this release deserves a patch that would improve the controls and the speed of NiGHTS so it's more like the original. Fixing these issues would only help to improve the experience for new and old fans, rather than causing negative reactions like my own. The more that people enjoy this game the stronger the franchise will become.

I will be contacting SEGA by posting in their forums and sending them a ticket. I will also be posting on my own site, nidscores.com, and creating a video on my YouTube channel, NiGHTScharlie.

The more that we can show SEGA that these issues are important to the masses, the more that they will accept the feedback. If they think that it's just a few hardcore fans that are grumpy and complaining then it will not get anywhere. These patches take time and cost money, especially since this is a port of a PS2 game that had it's own issues to begin with.

It's important that we show our appreciation when contacting SEGA so it does not come across as a bunch of complaints. We need to remember that we are lucky to even have this HD release and if they are willing to put time and money into a patch that it will be an advantage to SEGA and the NiGHTS franchise.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Sorry to double post, but I want to keep this separate from my comments above...

For anyone that provides feedback to SEGA, can you post a copy of it here, provide a link or send me a PM?

I would like to compile everything together in one spot so it's easy to show SEGA how much support we have for a patch.

The only way that this will receive financial support from SEGA is if we have enough of the gaming community backing it.

RedTail

RedTail

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Hey everyone

I've been keeping my mouth shut these last few days and trying to accept the game for what it is. I know that I was one of the first people to post a negative reaction to the controls and by no means did I mean that the game is unplayable or broken. My emotions definitely got the better of me so I apologize if it was taken the wrong way.

After playing it for a few days on both the PS3 and 360 I definitely see the benefits of this game and I must say that I'm addicted to getting high scores on the leaderboards.

That being said, I still believe that this release deserves a patch that would improve the controls and the speed of NiGHTS so it's more like the original. Fixing these issues would only help to improve the experience for new and old fans, rather than causing negative reactions like my own. The more that people enjoy this game the stronger the franchise will become.

I will be contacting SEGA by posting in their forums and sending them a ticket. I will also be posting on my own site, nidscores.com, and creating a video on my YouTube channel, NiGHTScharlie.

The more that we can show SEGA that these issues are important to the masses, the more that they will accept the feedback. If they think that it's just a few hardcore fans that are grumpy and complaining then it will not get anywhere. These patches take time and cost money, especially since this is a port of a PS2 game that had it's own issues to begin with.

It's important that we show our appreciation when contacting SEGA so it does not come across as a bunch of complaints. We need to remember that we are lucky to even have this HD release and if they are willing to put time and money into a patch that it will be an advantage to SEGA and the NiGHTS franchise.

Yeah, despite the control issues, I'm still having quite a bit of fun too. While it's not bad enough to keep me from posting high scores (just got the #1 spot for Stick Canyon), it frustrates the hell out of me knowing the game is capable of playing so much more smoothly than it is.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I just sent my feedback to Sega. Here is what I put down.

I am happy to see NiGHTS get an HD release for modern consoles, complete with enhanced visuals as well as other features not found in the original. However, there appears to be an issue with the controls, specifically the way NiGHTS handles when using the analog stick. NiGHTS can only move in eight directions in the HD release, whereas NiGHTS could move in all directions in the Sega Saturn original. This makes the gameplay in the HD release feel rigid and just not as responsive as it was on the Saturn. Perhaps a patch could remedy the controls in the HD release to include the free range of motion found in the Sega Saturn original. That being said, I commend you all at Sega for your efforts to bring NiGHTS back into the public eye.

Started with a compliment, went into detail about the control issues, then ended it with a compliment. It's a compliment sandwich!

Thoughtcrime82

Thoughtcrime82

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:I'm a joker, I'm a gamer, I'm a midnight toker.
Well you guys won me over, what's the worst that can happen. I submitted polite and brief request for a patch/additional option via the Sega Europe request link.

Sorry I didn't copy/paste it here - I clicked and it was gone and I said "oh f***".

I hate to say it, but I think it's highly unlikely they will release a patch. What's the harm in trying though?

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
You can find the message you sent to Sega in your own email.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Had to edit this entire post because I did not realize there was already D-Pad support on this. A huge upgrade seeing as the PS2 version did not do this. I will admit, the analog stick on the PS3 does not work too well on the game but it isn't bad either. The D-Pad however is almost the same as I remember. I am not sure I am seeing the control issues everyone is speaking of. Has it been that long?

NiiGHTS

NiiGHTS

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Personally I can't see SEGA fixing the controls. They probably have better things to do. It's a port of an original game and therefore it's not going to be exactly the same unfortunately. Even though it's a pretty big issue because the game really is based on control of movement, I just don't see it changing.

I guess we just have to be grateful that we are able to play it on the 360, PS3 and PC and that its now been exposed to a flock of new generation who didn't grow up or experience the game on the Saturn like myself and other fans.

I've been playing it for almost a week now and have slowly become accustomed to the dodgey controls...I can't expect to see my high scores I achieved on the Saturn, but I've accepted that now.

You can view it as a positive in some ways. It has now created a bit of a new learning curve...even if it's a frustrating one...

Newcomers of the game won't know the difference. But that's the sad part. If they were to play the original Saturn version they would understand how extremely playable the game was back in it's day...all I'm worried about is that these newcomers will pick up the port and find it hard to play and then give up totally...So while having the port is a good thing, the bad controls may hinder it's popularity...who knows?

Lucky I still have my Saturn, 3D pad and 3 copies of the original game + Xmas NiGHTS...

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Had to edit this entire post because I did not realize there was already D-Pad support on this. A huge upgrade seeing as the PS2 version did not do this. I will admit, the analog stick on the PS3 does not work too well on the game but it isn't bad either. The D-Pad however is almost the same as I remember. I am not sure I am seeing the control issues everyone is speaking of. Has it been that long?

The controls in the HD version seem to have been re-calibrated for the D-pad instead of the analog stick. It's something I elaborated on in a previous post, as seen here:

Speaking of that, I think I know what's going on with the HD port. It's in D-pad mode. On the 3D control pad, there's a switch that allows you to toggle between D-pad controls and analog controls. When the switch is on D-pad mode, NiGHTS is locked to eight directions and the analog pad ceases to work. But when the switch is on analog mode, suddenly the game enables NiGHTS to fly in all directions, but now the D-pad ceases to work. Somehow the D-pad mode became the default mode for the HD version.

For those who don't know, I'm talking about the switch beneath the start button with the "+" and "o" symbols, as you can see here:

Posted Image

cardmonster

cardmonster

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I received a stock response to my complaint. It's obvious that Sega aren't going to fix it and I think it's sad that even the fanbase are fairly tolerant of this mistake. A missed opportunity and a shame.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Same here. My guess is they have already received feedback about the controls from several of us. They can't give a lengthy response to everyone now. Plus, it's their job to remain as brief and impersonal as possible.

My advice? Even if Sega's customer support were to pass on our complaints, it will take a while for there to be any visible results. Now that we have given our feedback, all we can do now is just practice with the eight-way controls. That way, when a patch for the analog controls does come, we'll be taken aback by the fluidity of the controls for the first time since we initially touched our 3D control pads. It'll be like taking weights off of our shoulders.

cardmonster

cardmonster

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Agreed, but I do hope those weights are removed and that we aren't shackled with them forever!

Draikin

Draikin

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I received a stock response to my complaint. It's obvious that Sega aren't going to fix it and I think it's sad that even the fanbase are fairly tolerant of this mistake. A missed opportunity and a shame.

That's perfectly normal, you can't draw conclusions from that because the support staff aren't the ones who decide whether or not a patch gets made. I received this response:

Thank you for contacting SEGA Europe.

Your comments are very much appreciated by SEGA and have been passed on to the relevant department.

If I can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Again, you'll probably have received a similar response. The key thing is, like Charlie said, to get the number of emails high enough so that they can't be easily ignored. That makes it all the more important that everyone here contacts them.

cardmonster

cardmonster

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I received the exact same reply. To be fair, I completely agree and hope that more fans voice their concerns to see that this is rectified. I'm just not holding my breath!

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
I received a different reply than that. Here's what I got:

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are currently looking into this, and will hopefully be able to correct this control issue in a future patch.

Regards,
Nico B.
SEGA of America
Customer Support

As short as this message is, it's less of a stock message than the kind you guys got. At least the possibility of a patch was acknowledged.

Draikin

Draikin

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

As short as this message is, it's less of a stock message than the kind you guys got. At least the possibility of a patch was acknowledged.

That's definitely different from the response of Sega Europe. While it doesn't have to mean anything will change, it's good to hear they're looking into the problem. All the more reason for everyone to contact support as well, I'd say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users