Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Deep Loner's Content

There have been 74 items by Deep Loner (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#12748 NiGHTS' voice and Music

Posted by Deep Loner on 25 August 2007 - 12:57 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

I never actually intended to post here...

...but does it sound to anyone else like "Hey! He ran off!" was spoken by NiGHTS instead of Will? The voice sounds the same.

#13429 Do you want to appear on DreamCast?

Posted by Deep Loner on 27 August 2007 - 01:18 AM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

I know I don't post very much at all in the forums, but I promise intelligent, articulate dialog if you pick me. : )

(Also, I have a working, crystal clear microphone, good recording software, and an MP3 encoder, AND I know how to use them! ; P)

#14311 Release Date Pushed Back

Posted by Deep Loner on 30 August 2007 - 07:45 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

I think the delay is a good thing; the evidence so far shows that the game could not have been properly completed by November, 2007.

I am concerned, however, that the first quarter release date could cost the game quite a lot of publicity and sales, which – let's face it – is what we need for SEGA to continue making NiGHTS games.

For me, the best news to hear would be that the game has been delayed to the third or even forth quarter of 2008. In addition to perfecting the existing design, SEGA would have time to expand the game with additional content; ideally, the quality of the game would then generate positive press buzz and sales, motivating SEGA to continue making NiGHTS sequels.

On the other hand, it is possible that the first quarter release of Journey of Dreams could intentionally heighten the surprise of a subsequent "special" forth quarter release... :P

But seriously, I want a holiday release for Journey of Dreams, even if it's the holiday of 2008. With the amount of mainstream press that this game has received so far, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA weren't motivated to release a third NiGHTS game until 2019.

#14701 Japanese JoD site is up!

Posted by Deep Loner on 01 September 2007 - 11:35 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

It doesn't seem fair to TRiPPY and DiGi.. it's almost a given that if/when they're offline, something happens that makes the whole NiGHTS fanbase EXPLODE WITH HAPPY.

I seriously wonder if someone very high up at SEGA keeps DOS-ing them? :P

#14702 Shoutout Messages

Posted by Deep Loner on 01 September 2007 - 11:51 PM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

I want to send a virtual high-five to DiGi and TRiPPY; "that is, if you like that kind of thing." :P

I'd also like to shout out to my new friend Tangocat777. Be sure to mention that this shout out is made at exactly, precisely the right time!

#14751 Japanese JoD site is up!

Posted by Deep Loner on 02 September 2007 - 04:25 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

And Deep Loner, I wouldn't be surprised... :angry:;

Hey! Don't look at me! :D

#15237 DAY 4 - REALA REVEALED

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 September 2007 - 09:05 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

I mean sure, it looks splendiferous and all [...].

I was pleasently surprised to see that word in the dictionary. Thanks for teaching me a new word today!

#15276 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 September 2007 - 10:24 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Americans would be less likely to mistranslate now then they would back then.
However if they feel any need to "Americanize it" they will change things.

I'm also sure they may at the least re-word some of the stuff. I don't consider it mistranslation if they re-word with different words just as long as its the same general idea. (I don't know why but some people do consider that mistranslation some times.)

In other words if they feel that kids wont understand it they will "Americanize it" other wise it should be fine with the exception that it wont be word from word of the translation above.

I understand that projects like this undergo localization, which is substantially different from mere translation. Localization often includes qualitative judgements of material to be added, removed, or modified based on cultural differences. This is why many gamers import the Japanese titles directly. Don't expect the American or European versions to be identical to the Japanese in every respect.

But the Nightopia is being tried to be deleted by Wizeman [...].

He thinks he's such a l33t h4x0r – we'll show him who's boss! :D

Anyway, I took the liberty of cleaning up Seiya's translation for proper English grammar and style. This is not intended as criticism – if it weren't for Seiya, I wouldn't be able to understand anything from the site at all! And of course I don't claim to speak Japanese. The intention is only to make it a little easier on the ears until SEGA gives us an English JoD site.

Opening:
Did you know?
The world called "Dreams" 1
really exists!

Story
Can you remember your dream that you saw last night?
The most familiar 2 and the most mysterious world we visit when we fall asleep is "Dream".

"Dream" is a different dimension, a world which only our conscious minds visit while sleeping.
We cast a reflection to our conscious minds by the light called Ideya, and create the world of happy dreams 3 called Nightopia.
But Wizeman, who rules the dark and scary world of bad dreams, 4 Nightmare, is trying to destroy Nightopia. 5
This is the story of "Dream", 6 and of the courage of a boy and girl who enter this dream world. 7

My footnotes:
  • Since it appears from Seiya's translation that "Dream" is used as a proper place-name, I decided to leave it this way. It does sound awkward in English, however. If I knew Japanese, I would attempt to coin a better sounding English place-name instead of substituting something generic like "the dreamworld".
  • Seiya's translation read, "Another the most familar". I do not know the intended function of "another", if any, in this sentence.
  • Seiya wrote, "happy dream world." Rearranged for disambiguation: "happy" modifies "dream[s]", not "world"; see footnote on "world of bad dreams" below.
  • Seiya wrote, "dark and scary bad dream world." Here "dark and scary" modify "world", while "bad" modifies "dream[s]", in contrast to the "world of happy dreams" above; the wording is thus rearranged similarly.
  • Seiya's use of the passive voice, "Nightopia is being tried to be deleted by Wizeman", despite sounding absolutely atrocious in English, is actually, humorously, not grammatically incorrect. I wonder if Japanese actually uses such stretches of the passive voice.
  • Seiya wrote, "This is the story of the dream", but evidently using "dream" as a place-name preceeded by the definite article; cf. Seiya's "the Nightopia".
  • Seiya wrote, "who step between such the dream world." It's unclear if "dream" is a place-name here; if so, it would read, "who enter this world, 'Dream'."
I hope this helps at least one of you. :D

And if it doesn't... well, it was an enjoyable intellectual exercise nonetheless. :P

#15286 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 September 2007 - 10:58 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Pretty much my point exactly only with more detail. ^^;
Most of what I've seen happen was unnecessary in some games and anime. (For example most of what 4Kids does.)

If you're referring to Sonic X... yeah, a lot of people complain about that. For some of it, I simply wonder if longer commerical breaks demanded that they cut some stuff. But I agree that it's unpleasant to see content that I like cut out of the localization.

The best way to stop this from happening with JoD right now is to bitch about it as much as possible and let them know that we don't want anything cut!

#15321 Do you want to appear on DreamCast?

Posted by Deep Loner on 05 September 2007 - 01:31 AM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Ah, I'd sell my copy of Japanese Christmas NiGHTS for a microphone...

You shouldn't have to. If you're from the US, you can get this one for only $5.00, and the sound quality is as great as you could expect from anything higher-priced.

#15508 Japanese JoD site is up!

Posted by Deep Loner on 05 September 2007 - 06:16 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

They should sooo have a download to do this with the mouse all the time.

That reminds me.

When I finish reinstalling all of the software on my hard drive, I'm going to make a Windows Media Version of the video trailer on the site. Just because I can. ^_^ And also so anyone who wants to can make a JoD AMV.

Also, would anyone like to be able to run the Flash files off of their hard drive?

#15513 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 05 September 2007 - 06:46 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

I am curious though as to why Japan is fairly lieniant with curse words while here in America it is shameful for young kids to hear or say those words.

Reminds me of when I saw the Japanese episodes of Sonic X on Google Video (before they were all taken down). They're pretty open about using certain American English-language curse words on their show. (Apologies to my international English-speaking friends; I almost slipped on that one.) I also noticed a fair amount of sexual innuendo (or at least what Americans would perceive to be sexual innuendo), which probably explains the "Go touch NiGHTS" line. But it's not like America's innocent somehow. I remember when Disney's Aladdin first came out, and my Dad kept saying that the humor wasn't really intended for children; it took me a while before I understood what he meant. Oh, and Shrek. A purportedly "children's" movie that has Donkey saying something like, "Shrek says he's compensating for something, which I think means he has a really small *omph*". Come on!

I guess my point is that the level of "localization" describe is really nothing more than America's pretentious political correctness.

I wonder if the NiGHTS came in Japan will have any cursing. Doubt it...but you never know what Reala might say.

****! I'm being tried to be paralooped! ^_^

#15586 Japanese JoD site is up!

Posted by Deep Loner on 05 September 2007 - 11:50 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Good idea. I know I would totally love to replace dreams dreams with death metal.

Sorry, I can't convert the video without distorting the right edge of the video. This is a problem with the ffdshow decoder that I'm using.

RealPlayer plays it just fine, but RealPlayer can't be used as a source filter for encoding. :blink:

#15588 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 06 September 2007 - 12:02 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Reala: NiGHTS, get your bitch ass over in the kitchen a go make me a turkey pot pie.
NiGHTS: Oh f*** you asswipe. I'm your got damn dorm mate not a fuckin slave. Go make your own sh!t.

*Then the battle begins.

I would love to see what 4Kids would do with that! :blink:

NiGHTS: I refuse to be trapped in a codependant relationship anymore!

#15621 Japanese JoD site is up!

Posted by Deep Loner on 06 September 2007 - 02:06 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Wait, does SoA have a JoD page up yet?

They have this, but compared to the Japanese site it's pretty worthless.

#15894 Japanese JoD site is up!

Posted by Deep Loner on 07 September 2007 - 07:21 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Japan usually comes out with everything first. They seem to be a lot faster and better at making Flash sites too.

Why are all the Japanese such brilliant programmers and artist?

I don't think that the Japanese are necessarily better artists or programmers. Probably, since none of the real development is done in the United States or Europe, SEGA of America and SEGA of Europe basically exist as distribution and marketing companies rather than actual developers, which means that development talent in these companies is going to be limited. In contrast, SEGA of Japan can tap a much larger reserve of talent for something like a Flash site. Regular programming skills are easily transferrable to Flash. The ActionScript language used in Flash is basically EMCAScript (informally known as JavaScript) with a different object framework. ECMAScript (JavaScript) shares much of its syntax with Java, which is very syntactically similar to C++, and either that or regular C is most likely used for SoJ's game programming. So SEGA of Japan has potentially lots of people who could code a Flash application. On the other hand, SEGA of Europe and America probably have a much smaller base of web developers already busy with lots of other work anyway. Some of these developers might even have no idea that Flash is basically just a JavaScript-driven vector graphics engine and be reluctant to work on such a project. There's a tendency among the technially-oriented to view Flash as some kind of mysterious black box that only special kinds of people, like "artists" and "designers", can transform into something useful. Usually it's just because technically-oriented people like myself have no artistic ability whatsoever and so wouldn't be able to do anything useful with something like Flash anyway.

As you might have guessed, I have no idea what would be involved in creating the artistic resources for something like the JoD Flash site, but my guess is that, besides having more artistic talent available, Sega of Japan would also have easier access to whatever art resources arise as a normal part of the development process, thus giving them more to work with and more people to work with it.

It's just the way that the game industry has developed that more of the development resources are in Japan. If JoD were being developed by an American company, it would probably be the other way around.

Also, is there a link from the main Sega of Japan site to the NiGHTS site? I can never find anything there! Not even the search engine helps. I have seen the site and all...I just want to know how anyone found it.

I know that the old Japanese NiGHTS into Dreams website has a link to the JoD site.

#16046 DAY 4 - REALA REVEALED

Posted by Deep Loner on 08 September 2007 - 09:03 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

We should have a petition type thing telling SEGA we want Jackle back!

Yes! We must do a petition! >D

Who's Jackle??? :P :lol:

#16060 Japanese JoD site is up!

Posted by Deep Loner on 09 September 2007 - 01:21 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Posted Image

That's foreign. There's no way that can be marketable.

Those are delicious-looking doughnuts! And... uh, chocolate-almond dipping sauce! :lol:

#16308 DAY 4 - REALA REVEALED

Posted by Deep Loner on 10 September 2007 - 08:20 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Who's Jackle??? :P ^_^

Who's Jackle???

WAIT JUST A PIAN-SPITTIN' MINUTE HERE!!!! You do not know who JACKLE IS?!
Just go to devART, man. It's that simple. search him. You ought to find something in there. believe me, I search Jackle on devART over & over again just to find wallpapers and crap like that.

Answer to Deep Loner: Jackle is one of the Nightmaren bosses, initially fought as Claris's third boss fight which happens at the end of the Soft Museum level. Here's the site's art page on him:

http://www.nightsintodreams.com/NiD/black/.../jacklemain.htm

Jackle fights on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACKso59Yu9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KHjXFkbQ5M...ted&search=

Sometimes, somebody can say something so ridiculous that there's no possible way it can be taken seriously. ESPECIALLY IF THE POST ENDS WITH :P :o!!!!!

Oh yeah? You all love Reala so much? Reala can go suck a dorito for all I care.

They should sell that powdered flavoring stuff by itself. That would make sucking Doritos unnecessary. :P :lol: <-- Pay attention to that plese.

#16361 NiGHTS' voice and Music

Posted by Deep Loner on 11 September 2007 - 12:08 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

(bump bump ba-bum bum bump)
*sings Jackle's theme music* :P

Just wondering... any luck remembering where you guys have heard the voice before?

#16590 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 12 September 2007 - 10:21 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

And thanks for the English-ized translation Deep Loner! :3

Please be careful. I didn't translate anything; I merely cleaned up Seiya's English.

#16593 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 12 September 2007 - 10:57 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

For someone who doesn't know Japanese, looking through an online kanji dictionary trying to find a symbol matching the one on SEGA's website was quite a fun little game. :D

Anyway, this one looks kind of close...
http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/rhsinfo/r_hanita.html
Perhaps like daily score"board", a top scores list? Maybe something to do with the game's levels (I remember growing up that a level or world was sometimes colloquially called a "board")?

#16806 New trailer tonight

Posted by Deep Loner on 14 September 2007 - 02:09 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

I'll be posting my analysis of the video tomorrow.

In the meantime, however, one would think that a big web name like IGN would have some halfway decent programmers on staff. The "Insiders Only" content (for right-click to download) is protected by nothing more than a JavaScript onClick() routine. Which means that if you want to download the high resolution Windows Media and QuickTime videos, all you need to do is disable JavaScript, refresh the page, right-click and download.

In Internet Explorer, this is as simple as adding ign.com to the "Untrusted Sites" zone.

#16811 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 14 September 2007 - 02:28 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

How about the possibility of "Forums"? (Community boards?)

Right now it's anyone's guess. Kori's translation suggests some kind of "of the day" feature. As we understand it right now, it's "today's number one board", whatever the heck that means. That's also assuming that "board" is even accurate... you probably can't trust this kind of thing to someone who doesn't speak a word of Japanese, LOL. Other kanji I saw that look similar are "cup" and "slope" . :P :P :wub: :(

So we'll just have to wait and see, either from a more knowledgeable source or from what SEGA actually puts there.

#17161 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 16 September 2007 - 04:39 PM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Yes.

Edit: I think sending private messages would work better than editing posts; that way we can also be notified by e-mail.

--EDiT--
DiGi - You're in. You'll get a PM from me shortly. Sit tight. :huh: