Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

charlie's Content

There have been 41 items by charlie (Search limited from 26-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#100398 Something I wanted to share

Posted by charlie on 19 March 2013 - 09:33 PM in Website Submissions

Yummmm :)

#100312 A note about Extracting files

Posted by charlie on 22 December 2012 - 02:24 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Does anybody know what this is? It's called "halloween.adx" but I thought it just played the default stage theme for Halloween NiGHTS at Mystic Forest.

This halloween song can also be found in the PS2 files, but it seems like it was never used. It's a shame because I love it!

#100304 Having trouble with the bosses?

Posted by charlie on 20 December 2012 - 02:07 AM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Miles has always been the best at killing the bosses in record time...check out his video on the PC HD remake...this is definitely helping me as I suck at the bosses in this version lol

#100271 Higher scores in HD remake!

Posted by charlie on 06 December 2012 - 10:57 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

This morning I received an email from CatGoneCrazy, one of the top players on the xbla version, and much to my surprise he shattered the world record on Spring Valley! 1,029,980

On the Sega Saturn the highest score I was able to achieve was 896K, so to beat it by 130K is pretty dang impressive!

If you're wondering how it was done it was mainly due to Mare 3 where you can pull off the stunt ribbon glitch and get tons of dreamies. Cat has found a way to perfect it on the xbla!

Now that I've seen the potential scores I've got a huge boost of motivation to play it more often. It's great to see players embrace this game and challenge one another.

So is there anyone else here trying to get to the top of the leaderboards?

#100245 New patch released!

Posted by charlie on 29 November 2012 - 10:41 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

NiGHTS on the PS3 got an update; quickly played some Spring Valley and Splash Garden; linking definitely seems faster and shinier; the top-down section in SG still seemed like it might be a tad slow though. Maybe someone with both versions can get a feel for the latest handling on both consoles.

I know the overhead section in MF is still slow on both versions, so I don't think the other perspectives were part of the patch. I can live with it since it's just a couple of areas.

#100200 Sup

Posted by charlie on 23 November 2012 - 04:33 PM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the community :)

#100192 New patch released!

Posted by charlie on 22 November 2012 - 06:28 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

I just played the patch on the 360 and it definitely fixes the analog and speed issues! I can honestly say that this game now controls like the Sega Saturn, and I would say that it's better than the PS2 version because of the increased speed. Sure there are a few differences that haven't been fixed, like the bosses or top down section in MF, but to me those are minor issues. The core controls and gameplay are now smooth and effortless. It's an absolute joy to play this game now and I'll definitely be working on my scores :)

Thanks to SEGA, DiGi and TRiPPY for getting this patch released!!!

#100162 Anonymous Tip - Patch is Coming

Posted by charlie on 18 November 2012 - 02:40 AM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Hey guys, I thought I would share this with you and you can take it for what it's worth. For now you can consider it a rumour, but I trust that this information is true.

I recently received an email that SEGA has created a patch, and although I don't have details on when it will be released or the specifics of the patch it's good to know that they are fixing some aspects of the game. I will not be sharing the email with you or who it is from as I don't want this person to get in trouble. I will say that it was NOT from TRiPPY or DiGi.

So be happy for now and trust that something is coming soon! I can't wait to try it out myself! :)

#100002 Contacting Sega about the control problems

Posted by charlie on 12 October 2012 - 09:23 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Thanks ChaoFreak for posting your message!

We should also start spreading the message on the SEGA forums so they can see the support over there as well. The more we reach out to them the better.

Someone else has already started a topic over there: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?423758-The-controls-they-re-killin-me-PATCH-please!

EDIT: This is the message I sent to Sega of America Support. I also sent it as a message on Facebook and Sega Forums.

Hi SEGA,

I would like to start off by saying thank you for releasing NiGHTS into Dreams HD for the PSN and XBLA. I ordered them both on their launch day as I am a long time fan of the original NiGHTS on Sega Saturn.

Being a dedicated fan I created the site nidscores.com a few years back to keep track of high scores and discuss strategies, and I am an active fan on the nightsintodreams.com forums. I have also uploaded more than 100 NiGHTS videos on my YouTube channel NiGHTScharlie. You will see that I have the top scores in the world on the Sega Saturn and I have some of the top scores on both the PS3 (PSNID: gillwing) and 360 (Gamertag: czarlie).

When I started playing the PS3 and 360 versions I noticed that the controls are unresponsive. It almost seems as if the analogue controls are limited to 8 directions so it's almost impossible to fly in subtle directions. You will either fly straight because you cannot turn, or you will turn too much. Either way you will have a difficult time collecting the chips or the rings, which is the main objective of the game.

I have seen responses from many fans expressing the same concerns, and I have seen comments from new users saying they will not buy the game until these control issues are fixed. If it's possible to improve the controls with a patch it would be helpful for both the fans and the newcomers. It will make it easier for people to learn the game and it will keep people playing longer.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that a patch is possible to fix the controls.

Here are a couple of videos that fans and reviewers uploaded to show the control issue:

Thanks,
Charlie Restivo (charlierestivo@gmail.com)

#99999 Contacting Sega about the control problems

Posted by charlie on 12 October 2012 - 08:23 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Can I ask again that everyone posts their message or sends it to me offline?

It's really important that we gather all of the responses for SEGA in one place so they can see the level of support we have. I will do everything to make sure it gets in the right hands.

#99963 Contacting Sega about the control problems

Posted by charlie on 11 October 2012 - 11:25 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Even if they are sending out a standard response it's important that we stay positive and get a large enough following to support this patch. We cannot give up this easily.

I haven't had too much time these last couple of days, but I would like to reach out to other forums and social sites to get their involvement as well.

There are a lot of people that bought this game that do not visit these forums so we need to get as many people involved as possible.

#99962 Say "hello" to the King =)

Posted by charlie on 11 October 2012 - 11:14 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

With that method, I managed to have 4 King almost at the same time in the same dream!

4 Kings in the same dream!?!?! Wow :blink: That's awesome

#99929 Contacting Sega about the control problems

Posted by charlie on 10 October 2012 - 11:26 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Sorry to double post, but I want to keep this separate from my comments above...

For anyone that provides feedback to SEGA, can you post a copy of it here, provide a link or send me a PM?

I would like to compile everything together in one spot so it's easy to show SEGA how much support we have for a patch.

The only way that this will receive financial support from SEGA is if we have enough of the gaming community backing it.

#99928 Contacting Sega about the control problems

Posted by charlie on 10 October 2012 - 11:18 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Hey everyone

I've been keeping my mouth shut these last few days and trying to accept the game for what it is. I know that I was one of the first people to post a negative reaction to the controls and by no means did I mean that the game is unplayable or broken. My emotions definitely got the better of me so I apologize if it was taken the wrong way.

After playing it for a few days on both the PS3 and 360 I definitely see the benefits of this game and I must say that I'm addicted to getting high scores on the leaderboards.

That being said, I still believe that this release deserves a patch that would improve the controls and the speed of NiGHTS so it's more like the original. Fixing these issues would only help to improve the experience for new and old fans, rather than causing negative reactions like my own. The more that people enjoy this game the stronger the franchise will become.

I will be contacting SEGA by posting in their forums and sending them a ticket. I will also be posting on my own site, nidscores.com, and creating a video on my YouTube channel, NiGHTScharlie.

The more that we can show SEGA that these issues are important to the masses, the more that they will accept the feedback. If they think that it's just a few hardcore fans that are grumpy and complaining then it will not get anywhere. These patches take time and cost money, especially since this is a port of a PS2 game that had it's own issues to begin with.

It's important that we show our appreciation when contacting SEGA so it does not come across as a bunch of complaints. We need to remember that we are lucky to even have this HD release and if they are willing to put time and money into a patch that it will be an advantage to SEGA and the NiGHTS franchise.

#99926 SS Mode

Posted by charlie on 10 October 2012 - 10:50 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Yeah I think SS mode is a little bit easier just because the screen isn't as large.

Does anyone know if the widescreen HD version allows you to see more of the gameplay or if it simply stretches it? I'll have to check...

If it stretches it that would cause more issues with the controls because a circle would be more like an oval.

#99925 Opinion on the bosses.... pondering

Posted by charlie on 10 October 2012 - 10:45 PM in [ARCHiVED] NiD Discussion

I think you're just crazy TRiPPY :P

Actually I tend to do the same thing...the higher my score before a boss the more likely I mess it up...especially in the HD release...

#99864 Boss select?

Posted by charlie on 08 October 2012 - 12:55 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

I've been wondering the same thing and I just got an email asking about it as well. I think I'll stick with the normal boss for each level instead of random, but it's going to take a lot of practice to master each boss. Gillwing is much harder now and even with practice I'm having a difficult time, but I'll keep on trying.

I've been playing on PS3 but I'll try the 360 soon to get on those leaderboards as well :)

#99815 Say "hello" to the King =)

Posted by charlie on 06 October 2012 - 01:00 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Malan, you are the absolute master at getting King Pians! Great to see him still in the game :) I've yet to get one ever...

#99814 DiGi's final thought

Posted by charlie on 06 October 2012 - 12:59 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Yeah I agree with you DiGi...I'm one of the few hardcore nuts from the original game so for 99% of the people this port is a masterpiece in every way. It does offer a lot more than the original and the price can't be beat. I'm sure I'll adjust and you'll see me on the leaderboards :)

#99801 DiGi's final thought

Posted by charlie on 05 October 2012 - 09:25 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

I know I'm one of the guys that's speaking poorly of it, and I wish I wasn't because I absolutely love the original on the Sega Saturn and it's my favourite game of all time!

There are a lot of benefits to having this released, like getting more people to play the game and increasing the fan base, so for that I am grateful and thankful.

I will also be supporting it on all of the consoles (PS3, 360, PC) by purchasing a copy and playing each of them.

To me the most important thing in any game is to have solid controls, and that's why I'm disappointed with the game. To me that is a fundamental flaw. Nintendo is a company that says it works on controls for a game first and everything else comes second. If the controls fail then the game often fails.

It doesn't seem fair to be punished with a poor score when the controls are fighting against you. I still have to replay the PS2 version to see if it was changed on the PS3, and I'd also like to see if the 360 or PC versions will play differently.

If it was due to porting the code over then I understand and I will accept it for what it is.

But if the change in controls were intentional to make NiGHTS fly in a straighter line for newcomers then I think that was a poor decision. I'll probably never know the answer to that though.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm posting negatively, but I've put so much into this game as well as others that it's difficult to accept at first.

#99781 Release dates and pricing announced

Posted by charlie on 03 October 2012 - 02:33 AM in NiGHTS chit-chat

I just finished my first playthrough of the game (except for xmas NiGHTS) and I hate to say it, but I cannot stand the controls. As much as I love NiGHTS and want to talk highly of it, if this was the original release of the game I would have stopped playing it after a few minutes. There is no comparison to the controls on the original sega saturn.

I'm hoping someone else can confirm this for me, but when I use the PS3 controller it seems like NiGHTS only moves in increments of about 20 degrees. It almost seems like it was programmed to fly in straight lines to make it easier for people...there is no way I could fly this straight on the sega saturn...

If you go perfectly straight to the right and then slowly move the analog stick up or down there will be no change in NiGHTS movement until you reach sometimes 45 degrees.

There were so many times in the last hour or so that I missed a link, a chip, or a link ball because the controls were not responsive enough.

I hope that the 360 version doesn't have this issue because I honestly cannot play this game. I'm going to check the PS2 version and see if it was this bad...

The fact that I've already yelled out in frustration at this game is disappointing...

I wish I had better things to say...the resolution of the game is the only nice thing about it, along with features like restarting a dream straight from the pause menu.

#99778 Release dates and pricing announced

Posted by charlie on 02 October 2012 - 10:38 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Only had time to play Spring Valley and now I have to take off for the night. My first impression is this is nearly identical to the PS2 version in terms of controls so it has it's fair share of issues :( I like the feature to play the bosses without having to play the mares...took me about 20 tries to paraloop gillwing in one hit, which makes it a little too difficult when compared to the sega saturn. Hope to share more info later tonight.

#99774 Release dates and pricing announced

Posted by charlie on 02 October 2012 - 08:38 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Everyone, it's out today!!!!!!! :) Downloading the massive 2GB file now and can't wait to give it a go on the PS3...hope to have some time later tonight to post some opinions and first impressions. Also looking forward to being on the top of those leaderboards :P My name is gillwing on the PS3 so keep an eye out for me :)

#99697 Achievement Unlocked!

Posted by charlie on 03 September 2012 - 12:03 AM in NiGHTS chit-chat

No million score achievement?? :P

Looks ok, but I agree with TRiPPY they could've added some harder ones, even just 2.0 all the bosses or hatch a King Pian (something I still haven't been able to do...)

#99696 More Early BETA Footage!

Posted by charlie on 02 September 2012 - 11:57 PM in [ARCHiVED] NiD Discussion

If my memory serves me right we've already got this on the website... or perhaps one of the pages from the old site i've yet to copy over... I know i've already seen it before *digs*

http://www.nightsint.../beta/finds.htm
Is this it? I'd watch the video but i'm seriously busy right now with work, i've been working for 5 weeks straight no breaks on a game. (Hence why i haven't replied >____>; )

Nope I checked both videos and they're not it...but I agree with you that we've seen this somewhere before...