Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Drannore's Content

There have been 147 items by Drannore (Search limited from 26-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#57918 Nintendo Power reveals Sonic & The Black Knight

Posted by Drannore on 20 July 2008 - 02:08 AM in Community Corner

Man alive! Sonic is turning into some sort of hedgehog version of Charlie Brown: "Everything I touch gets ruined." We feel for you Sonic. You may never kick the football, but at least you can...swing a sword... Hold it. This cannot be legal. We do not know what kind of game it is yet, but I really do not know whether this is a good idea or not. Who am I kidding? This idea is terrible. I knew that Sega had a backup plan in case Sonic Unleashed failed. This, though, I was not expecting.

Or wanting, really.

#55249 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 27 June 2008 - 07:04 PM in Community Corner

That chart may be accurate, but it also haunts the dreams of optimists everywhere! Take it away! Take it away! I am so glad that the Wii version is being helped/co-developed by Dimps, the makers of the Sonic Advance and Rush games. They are probably telling Sonic Team everything about how to make this game better. I just hope that the junior people at Sonic Team don't get all proud and reject the advice of a (let's be honest) better developer.

But I haven't lost perspective. I always assume that games are going to disappoint me. Especially ones that look awesome.

#54547 Spore!

Posted by Drannore on 17 June 2008 - 12:20 PM in Community Corner

The trial still has not launched, and it's 8:20 in the morning already. Man, EA, pick up the pace. I want to get on with making a Mr. Saturn creature as fast as possible. That and a large bird yeti. I always wanted to make a bird yeti.

#54546 Fave Sonic Character

Posted by Drannore on 17 June 2008 - 12:17 PM in Community Corner

I will definitely have to say Knuckles on this one, folks. He's red, and has cool claw knuckles. He can climb...and glide with his hair. Sonic would come second, and then Shadow probably.

#52429 Animal Crossing: Wild World

Posted by Drannore on 28 May 2008 - 08:35 PM in Community Corner

I used to play this game so much, but now I am afraid (like others) of going back, though not because of the weeds (using the "glitch" that allows for time travelling and free money means you spend hours picking them) but because I am scared that my favourite characters are gone.

That always makes me sad...

#52427 The World Ends [or Begins] With You.

Posted by Drannore on 28 May 2008 - 08:32 PM in Community Corner

I wonder whether my icon will say anything about my interest in the game. I have yet to purchase it due to its apparent scarcity, but I hope to get it soon. Man, it appears to be one incredibly original game, to say the least.

All the reviews I have seen are quite glowing, and I love the whole design of the battle system. I do own the soundtrack, which is one of the best I have heard when it comes to non-orchestral/epic movie style soundtracks in games. Even not having played it, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who does not hate RPGs.

I think you may want a screen cover, though, if you do want to get it.

#49216 Rockman Games

Posted by Drannore on 28 April 2008 - 07:47 PM in Community Corner

I'm just going to sum up my feelings on the franchise in one picture.

Posted Image

My sentiments precisely. I think the one in the middle is the best. The NES game character design was just a bit too...short, maybe? Also, you gotta love the red spheres. And the latest design...has too much yellow and not enough blue. I mean, he is supposed to be all blue.

I am not a huge fan, but I suppose I enjoy the games, though I do not really own a single one. Great series, except not lately.

#48908 Yoshi's Story

Posted by Drannore on 25 April 2008 - 08:10 PM in Community Corner

Unfortunately, there are very few people who like this game, but I happen to love it. The scoring system balances out the short length of the game quite well, and searching for the melons in the later levels is murder!

The game is incredibly easy until you start to play for the melons, at which point it becomes quite challenging. And the fact that your tongue has really flexible controls is a bug plus. Also you can use your tongue downwards, which you cannot do in the first game.

However, I believe that Yoshi's Island was the pinnacle of SNES platformers, and the fact that Yoshi's Story takes out so much stuff (the melons, the transformations, the large number of levels, the challenge, etc.) makes it feel inferior. Yoshi's Island also had the 100% scoring system that unlocked awesome new levels. Also, the bosses in Yoshi's Story are absolutely lame. Still, you can hardly compare the two of them. And the graphical style of Yoshi's Story was sweet.

So, I like the N64 game, but not more than Island.

#47778 Anyone looking forward to GTA IV?

Posted by Drannore on 18 April 2008 - 12:11 AM in Community Corner

No. No. And no. I am not interested in getting it. Still, the game has a lot going for it, especially the open-ended exploration aspects. Still, I prefer less violent and ridiculous fare. The problem is finding a GTA-like game without all the violence and over-the-top situations and such.

Not that I have anything against over-the-top games or violence in general. It's just that GTA is anti-me. Not interested. Besides, the exclusive downloadable stuff is on the console whose existence I barely acknowledge.

#47087 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 13 April 2008 - 07:25 PM in Community Corner

Well, I suppose that the Chao possibly coming back for this game (the one this topic pertains to) is a good thing. I know that a lot of people got into that, though I really did not care for it at all. No reason. Just never played around with it.

Still, maybe I will give it another try if it comes back to this game. I will definitely be picking up Sonic Chronicles, so that will give me my first chance. Unleashed I may buy, if I get a PS3 by then. Not even thinking about touching the Wii version at this point.

#46462 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 08 April 2008 - 07:56 PM in Community Corner

I actually think that the teaser is pretty cool. The visuals are incredibly, so is the style. The audio is the only problem. Still, I really think that a CG trailer has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself.

Werewolf gameplay may work out yet, but I am not trusting anything yet. The funny thing is that Sega thinks that they are teasing the werewolf, like no one knows what Sonic is going to change into yet. The leak kind of messed up the suspense and speculation that this teaser seems to try to generate.

#46427 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 08 April 2008 - 12:14 PM in Community Corner

I looked at a video of Angel Island, and he is whistling the Angel Island theme. It does sound like the Aladdin song, though. I think that teaser was pretty cool, actually.

Well, everything in there, that is, except all that groaning in the middle. That was fairly unnerving.

#46116 List your top 10 favorite games of all time!

Posted by Drannore on 05 April 2008 - 03:45 PM in Community Corner

1. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
4. Earthbound (SNES)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
7. Super Mario World (SNES)
8. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
9. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
10. Pikmin 2 (GC)

Yes, all of these games were created by Nintendo. A few notes on them below:

Geno is the best video game character ever.
People complain about how Zelda games are all the same, but they have no end of criticism for the ones that actually deviate from the formula. Majora's Mask is hugely underrated.

#46006 Rumor: NiGHTS 3

Posted by Drannore on 04 April 2008 - 07:42 PM in NiGHTS chit-chat

I think that the DS would be an awesome platform for NiGHTS, but I think they should try to put out a game for the consoles first. Still, touch controls for NiGHTS would be awesome, and would not have to use the top screen during gameplay. Just leave it blank or put maybe a map of the level on the top.

You could use the L button for spin dashing, so the controls would be perfectly represented. Also, the design of the game with its level design and such is already quite suited for the pick-up-and-play nature of handheld games. I would call it a perfect fit for DS.

Also, please not on the PSP, Sega. I loathe the analog nub. I have big fingers, and the positioning of the nub below the d-pad makes no sense. If you are making a console primarily for 3D games, then put the analog stick front and center like the GC controller, and put the little-used d-pad below the analog stick.

#46005 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 04 April 2008 - 07:29 PM in Community Corner

The way I see it, we can't influence the development of the game, so all we can do is sit back and peek nervously through our fingers at the finished product when it arrives.

Why did they even bother releasing Sonic '06, seriously.. broken game..

Anyway I'mma come up with some Wii controls here:

Air-dash - Press A to jump, then flick the Wiimote in any given direction. Sonic can also do a ground smash this way, like in SA2.

To do his Speed boost- Hold down with the nunchuk (or in 3D, maybe B or something), then rev up by spinning the Wiimote in circles. Flick it hard right or left to launch Sonic.

Quite honestly, I really only want forward flicks to air dash or use the homing attack, and no Nunchuk motion control. I would like for them to do a Smash Bros.-esque "four control options plus infinite customization" thing, so that I could use the Classic Controller or the GC controller if the Wii Remote-Nunchuk option is bad. Unfortunately, while I am very excited for the PS3 version, I have extreme doubts about the Wii version. Why? Sega is putting it out on PS2 also, which is never a good sign for a Wii game (see Wii Rock Band plus all the other ports save for RE4 and Okami.)

#45908 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 03 April 2008 - 07:27 PM in Community Corner

So my idea for different level exploration in the day and night is looking much more likely. Awesome! I think that the trailer is spectacular, especially because the game is running at its full frame rate this time, and with the proper camera angles.

My anticipation for the game has gone up even more! I love how in the description of the game it says "Sonic is doing this because Eggman did this evil thing." And not "Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Big, Blaze, and Cream do this because Eggman, Shadow, Rouge, and Silver did this evil thing and there are also demons and human princesses and Arabian Nights characters that do this and that."

Very encouraging!

#45866 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 03 April 2008 - 12:23 PM in Community Corner

Yeah, that page looks pretty suspicious to me, but no matter. I assume that we will know a bunch of things after E3 or earlier, but for now, let us analyze what we know to death.

None of the things they have revealed (accidentally) on the game so far have struck me as being particularly negative. I could see a few problems with the game running itself and being basically locked into a turbo speed run all the time, but I think it just looked that way from the trailer for promotional purposes, as there were quite a few angles in the trailer that were totally unplayable (such as one where the camera is right under Sonic as dust falls from the wooden platform that he just landed on.)

#45685 Rumor: NiGHTS 3

Posted by Drannore on 02 April 2008 - 01:22 AM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Considering what we saw from Sonic Unleashed, what if they used the Sonic Unleashed engine to make the new NiGHTS game on PS3? The footage shows very NiGHTS-ish transitions from sidescrolling to behind the back, and it may be that the rumoured NiGHTS game is indeed running on this engine, or if the engine was developed for the new NiGHTS game and then when it was dropped from the PS3 was adapted to make Unleashed.

It would be a good idea. Build on an engine you already (maybe) know how to use.

Still, I think that the NiGHTS series is done for now, considering the performance of the Wii game in the market.

#45204 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 29 March 2008 - 03:05 PM in Community Corner

you mean the character NOT the game... right?

plot gimmicks are fine (even thou imo this one seems abit used up...) but now picture this you need to play as him in that form... now you move 5mph. have to bat down gun-wielding enemies with your massive arms when its takes you 30 seconds to reach an enemy that you could have (as sonic) used a homing attack on but instead you have to do zig zags to avoid all the shots the enemy throws at you. THIS my friend is why I am worried... of course this is all a theoretical example so I don't wanna be bashed for this comment if you please...

Since when are werewolves slow? Obviously, not as fast as Sonic (though we do not know that yet either) but still pretty nimble. Also, this game may have put the homing attack to rest, judging by its total absence during the trailer. It seems that the only way to take out enemies that we have seen so far is to charge them with the Sonic Rush-style speed boost. Although, if there are longer sections with the behind-the-back view, then the homing attack may become a necessity.

It is, of course, a legitimate concern, and more theories are always better than none. We really know next to nothing about the game at this point, and so theories are most of what we have at this point.

My personal theory about this is that there will be two versions of each stage, one during the day and one at night, that you will traverse in greatly different ways with Sonic's two forms. The werewolf will likely be harder to control, but much more powerful and possibly just as fast. I mean, if you took Sonic (a pretty fast guy) and took away what little caution and rational thinking that he possesses, then what do you get? Another thing they could do is that when you are in the moonlight as the werewolf, you gain power and speed, but when you are in the darkness and out of the moonlight, you lose power.

Just a few ideas from me. No bashing whatsoever.

Just my two cents.

#44898 Final Fantasy anyone?

Posted by Drannore on 26 March 2008 - 11:10 PM in Community Corner

I am currently working on beating all of the main series in order.

I just recently beat FFII. I will get started with FFIII sometime soonish.

Wow, I admire that. Can you technically "beat" XI though? Or do you mean by "main series" 1-10 and then 12?

Personally I am too young to have played the old Nintendo system ones (thank goodness for remakes) and really do not want to go and pick up the Sony systems. I will be playing XIII when it comes out in 2009. Err...maybe 2010.

#44897 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 26 March 2008 - 11:06 PM in Community Corner

I will stay on the optimistic side of cautious, expecting the worst, and hoping for the best, as they say. I would say that this is an incredibly concept: Sonic Rush and Secret Rings combined into one with breathtaking 3D visuals. Still, until I feel how the game controls, which is make or break for this type of really fast game, then I will stay cautious.

Also, I think that Sega is in its element when it comes to 2D games. They have the talent to make this happen, it just depends on whether they allow it to simmer long enough.

From this point forward, I will not say a single unguarded comment about the negative or positive aspects of the game, until release. That way, I won't be caught off guard whether the game turns out bad or good.

#44588 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 23 March 2008 - 01:08 PM in Community Corner

At the GAF there is this huge war going on. Over everything you could think of about this game. There was a massive argument about whether or not the game would appear on which platform. I think that Wii is not out of the question but those screens are not from a Wii game. Still hope. Oh, and I think that the game looks more like Sonic Rush than Rivals, except for the 2.5D perspective. It seems to be about as fast, and there is a bar at the bottom that gets exhausted as Sonic dashes really fast forward, and you can see an enemy taken out in Rush fashion like that when the camera shifts to behind the back.

I say we all hold back on the dark thoughts and cynicism until there is something to be cynical about. OK, maybe the were-hog, but the video was divine. Hopefulness tank is at maximum.

Before the video showed its 2.5D-ness, I was thinking, "well, another Sonic 06-style game" but then the video comes, and I almost literally jump for joy. Makes me wonder: do you think that Sonic Team is letting Dimps (Sonic Advance/Rush series dev) do some advisory stuff, or, unthinkably, develop the gameplay while Sonic Team just does the CG? That seems to be generally what they are good at, respectively.

#44549 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 23 March 2008 - 03:53 AM in Community Corner

You know, the way that the perspective dynamically shifts from on the side to behind the back is incredibly like NiGHTS! I am just so happy that Sega did not use the Adventure formula again. Even if this does not turn out well, at least they tried something new with the franchise.

#44548 Sega Superstars Tennis

Posted by Drannore on 23 March 2008 - 03:43 AM in Community Corner

I was only partially being serious. Nothing is ever concrete. I love Yoshi's Story, by the way. And Kirby 64. If a game looks good to my eyes, then I'll give it a try, regardless of the score. Problem is, I have serious financial constraints, and therefore need to have some concrete way of deciding which games to buy. I really do not like critics. All those years of covering one topic for so long has to make you so cynical. I'll try to lighten up a bit once I have a more steady income.

I also try to actually read the reviews, and if it seems like they are really making too big a deal of something (technical problems generally do not bother me as much as most people) then I disregard the score and go right for the heart. Nothing is definite. The numbers are just either for quick reference or a general outline.

#44545 Sonic Unleashed Screens

Posted by Drannore on 23 March 2008 - 03:26 AM in Community Corner

There is now a video on Youtube that appears to be showing off a 2.5D platformer. I think it rates a 7 out of ten on the "Best Thing Since Sliced Bread Meter. (BTSSBM)"

Here is the link. Man, I cannot wait.