Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

The Exile's Content

There have been 2 items by The Exile (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#100811 dreams that inspire you to creativity

Posted by The Exile on 01 February 2015 - 08:19 PM in Dream Discussion

(or just straight up tell you to write stuff)

my dreams like having video game ideas. a lot of them are not actually all that creative, and some of them turn out to already exist, or be very similar to something that already exists (my personal favourites are a Gemfire 2, a Phantasy Star V for the Mega CD that looks suspiciously like screenshots I've seen of an attempt to give Phantasy Star IV upgraded graphics, and a very trippy Sonic game that involved collecting apples, battling fish and going into Sonic's dreams)

but sometimes I get some more original ideas. they're heavily influenced by stuff, but aren't pre-empted sequels to games or trippy fan games. the two I remember most vividly are:

- a game meant to be released on the Saturn, called 'Scribe!'. it's a rather upbeat solo action RPG with some action platformer elements - heavily inspired by Okami in style, I think - and the character is an apprentice scribe/librarian in a society with slightly better technology level than a traditional fantasy RPG (probably magic technology on a larger scale than normal, like in Golden Sun). he is unusually un-combat-focussed for an RPG main character but probably has some magic to defend himself.

- a PC game that was never given a name, and I really should decide on one at some point. it is a traditional turn-based RPG that looks and feels a lot like 'Cthulhu Saves The World'. the main character is Surtr from Norse mythology (makes about as much sense as Cthulhu being a main character, I guess...). the other party members are Dhaos from Tales of Phantasia, my EVE online character who is a laid-back and rather amoral asteroid miner, and a recurring OC who is a bit of a self-insert, acts a little more like an RPG main character than the others except that he's a defeatist who gets proven right a lot- in personality, a little like Ashton from Star Ocean 2. from what I've seen of the game, Surtr was drained of all his power and woke up lost on an unknown world. he was trying to level up by taking quests but every time someone gave him a quest, he failed it by setting fire to whatever or whoever he was hired to preserve.

I've actually written two 'Scribe!' backstory fics. I'm working on trying to turn the second idea into a workable story.  my main  problem is that, while I can sort of shoehorn the other two into the party, I can't for the life of me work out why Dhaos would want to join this band of hooligans, or why he'd be in the (otherwise original) setting in the first place.  it'd be cool to learn how to make games. they wouldn't have to be complicated games as I prefer the style of older games anyway. 

#100709 Music and dreams

Posted by The Exile on 28 February 2014 - 05:46 PM in Dream Discussion

I hear music in my dreams a lot, often weird-sounding remixes of game music. Sometimes it's relevant to the plot of the dream, for instance, I had a dream that I got banned from WoW for something I didn't do, it was someone with the same IP as me, and when the game told me I was banned, music kept playing that I hadn't heard before in the game and didn't really fit the style. I think it was actually the Game Over tune from Rings of Power.

I don't fall asleep to music as a rule, but sometimes when I am exhausted and music happens to be playing when I take a nap, it gets into my dreams. Recently I freaked myself out by falling asleep when I was ill, and some EVE Online music was playing. This creepy-looking Undead worm thing was whistling the music in the dream. The eeriest thing is, it was just someone's pet, it was clearly evil and kept trying to bite me but everyone else was like 'what? stop harrassing the pets!'